TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Etiquette for Beginners

I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on golf etiquette for the beginner golfer, or for that matter, all golfers. I feel like everyone knows not to talk in a backswing or before a stroke, filling divots, etc. What are some rules or etiquette that you feel are often not known or overlooked, both on the course and around the clubhouse? 

Romans 3:8

Be respectful of others, be respectful of the course, and don't be a Richard. That's pretty much the holy trinity right there, everything else falls into one of those three categories. And all three of those unfortunately get overlooked, and it's often more by experienced golfers than by new ones. 

To get a bit more specific, for a beginner golfer it's important to keep up with the pace of play. Sometimes that might mean picking up your ball and just moving on to the next hole. That's perfectly OK - I've done it more than once myself when I started playing with other golfers, especially strangers that I got paired up with. Keep up with the pace of play, keep up a good attitude, and a new golfer will get around the course just fine.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Echoing the pace of play here with this one, be ready to play when it is your turn. Don't wait to gather your yardage, pick your club, take a drop if needed, assess the lie, etc. These are all things that can be done while others are hitting their shots. The caveat being make sure that you're being respectful of others, aka don't do these things if you're going to be interfering with a playing partners shot.

The other piece of advice for beginners with etiquette is have fun. 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Generally speaking, as long as beginners aren't pricks, I'm fine and can be relatively patient with them. The biggest thing I've noticed with beginners, especially those that are roughly 20 - 30 yo is they don't have a sense of focus on the course and I don't really fault them for that. They just simply don't know what to be aware of yet. Notably, things like having a small conversation on the green after putting out or not being ready to hit, etc. 

The other issues I see are typically cart etiquette like where you should and shouldn't drive. Some of this I put on the course though and it's something I've had an issue with for a while for many courses. Generally, courses improved over the pandemic after getting flooded with new golfers. However, I still think public courses need to clearly mark the correct path to take to the next tee box if it's not blatantly obvious. Second, courses need to clearly mark off where carts should return to the path around the greens. I tend to see newbies drive up right next to the green on poorly marked courses. Sure, it may say to stay 50 feet away from all greens on the back of the score card but not many people are going to actually read that or even know it's there. 

So overall, I don't know if there are a lot of beginner things that are really that bad if they are respectful. My biggest thing is signage. If you want new golfers to feel comfortable, make sure things are well marked out and/or communicated verbally with golfers. 

Fixing ball marks on greens. The proper way.  Playing music too loud. If within the group all are ok with it fine. But hearing loud music from 4 holes over is annoying.  Cigar or cig ashes on the green near the pin. Many who take junior lessons or clinics seem to get the basics explained and they do well learning.  The annoying part most is done by people who should know better. No manners anywhere so why would I expect them to honor a golf round?

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Many beginner golfers don't even know that there is "golf etiquette".  When my wife and I get paired with people that are obviously new to the game, we try to help them out in a nice way (my wife is better at that than I am).  The first thing said is that we have to keep up with the group in front of us.  We will tell them that it's OK to have bad shots, but after so many it's better to pick up and go to the green.  Work on ball striking on the next hole.  

I feel that informing people about driving too close to greens, careful of other peoples' lines on the green and playing ready golf is something we should do.  Unfortunately, not every beginner will listen, but most are very thankful for our advice.  Sometimes we are both better off if my wife and I just go on ahead and let them play by themselves.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 2/19/2023 at 8:15 AM, Golf2Much said:

A private club I was a member of had an influx of new members.  That first year, average round times were 15 minutes longer than the year before which many felt was unacceptable.   The Board's response was to develop and conduct a mandatory class all golfers needed to take before they could start playing golf in the Spring.  The class content was roughly half on pace of play and the other half on golf etiquette.  Pace of play included the obvious of keeping up with the group in front of you, but also more helpful tips like where to put your bag/cart in the proper location so you can clear the green proceed to the next hole without holding up the group behind you.   The etiquette part included things like how to fix ball marks correctly and how to enter, rake and exit traps.  It was about an hour long and was actually very informative.   That Spring, average rounds times dropped back 15 minutes and the greens areas looked much better.

^^ that's pretty good!

I've been thinking about sending an email to my club's GM (corporate ownership) and your list contains a lotta good points trip include - so thx! 👍

He keeps sending emails to the membership talking about some of those things .. including, of course, pace of play, but I don't see it happening out on the course. An actual talk to the membership - new *and* existing - could be something useful to start changing attitudes..... 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 2/16/2023 at 2:08 PM, Nick_Keller12 said:

I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on golf etiquette for the beginner golfer, or for that matter, all golfers. I feel like everyone knows not to talk in a backswing or before a stroke, filling divots, etc. What are some rules or etiquette that you feel are often not known or overlooked, both on the course and around the clubhouse? 

Great topic and something I think we all come across a few if not many times a season.

The best concept for new golfers is called Ready Golf, it means to be ready to play when it is your turn.  Begin preparing for your next shot the moment you have an idea where it is and where it needs to go.  It works like this:
- Assess the shot you are going to make and select the club to use on the way to where the ball lies (at the expense of conversation about other things.)
- Move quickly to your ball and assess the shot and begin the pre-swing warmup thinking about grip, rotation, etc.
- Watch what everyone else is doing and if nobody is going to take their shot then take yours. 
  -Furthest away ball golfer goes first as a courtesy and if you are not hindering someone further away then in Ready Golf you don't wait and shoot when you can safely.
- At the green, don't walk on the line of anyone's putt from ball to cup.
  - Have a discussion at the 1st green for flagstick in or out then do that at every hole.
  - Ready Golf means when you are ready, putt.
  - Hang around to watch everyone hole out but then be ready to leave for the next tee and look around to make sure nobody leaves anything behind.
- At the next tee, be ready to hit the moment you arrive at the tee box. 
  - Know who is hitting which tee distance and furthest back goes first.  Order doesn't matter, when you are ready tee off.
  - Everyone pays attention to the tee shots [not to watch closely but to not talk and be ready] to help spot where the ball and tee goes.
  - Pack up as soon as possible to head to where your ball lies as soon as the last golfer knows where they are going to find their ball.
- Walk with a purpose [it is good exercise] directly to where your ball is expected to be found.
- Drive following course rules and guidelines as if you're borrowing your bosses vehicle - there is no excuse for damage or abuse of a golf cart.
- If looking for a ball and it takes more than a minute [it will actually be more than a minute but it never seems as long as it is] consider it lost and drop another.
  [If you find a ball while looking for your own, it's your call to 'rescue' it or not but since a ball was found that's a good time to stop looking.]

I have pet peeves that my list will ensure don't happen.  I have regular partners who
[1] walk ahead to hit so I have to wait until they notice, usually red faced realizing they did it again. 
[2] look for a ball hit into rough and take so much time I will continue playing when they should have stopped looking and wait for them at the green,  
[3] one uses a laser rangefinder for every shot, then decides which club to use, sometimes rechecks the distance, changes the club, and duffs the shot starting the whole process 20 yards closer to the green, 
[4] one uses ARCCOS and each club registry to his smart phone takes 30-40 seconds, I timed it and that is average time and I practice being patient. 

40 seconds for anything on a golf course during a round is a long time.

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

Lots of great articles on golf etiquette, but one that doesn't make the list is "don't talk when I'm in process of hitting the ball". So often, and especially in couples golf, just as I'm ready to hit my driver someone will start yucking it up - totally oblivious to me on the tee. My wife knows when I give her the "evil eye" it's time to be quiet. By the way it happens with guys as well. I just stand on the tee box waiting til they're done. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

46 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

[3] one uses a laser rangefinder for every shot, then decides which club to use, sometimes rechecks the distance, changes the club, and duffs the shot starting the whole process 20 yards closer to the green, 

It should be against the law for someone to own a laser rangefinder if they can't consistently get the ball on or near the green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Some very good comments so I won’t repeat, but one category that is a bit tangent to etiquette while playing, is at the driving range.

If you get a phone call, step well away from where others are hitting.  Standing in your hitting spot while arguing over the phone, and announcing you can transfer $1.4M in the next 10 minutes isn’t helping me warm up or practice.  I was tempted to offer my routing number but was pretty sure all I would have received was a middle finger.  Or a group of (usually) women getting ready to play conversing with other members of their group 20-30 feet away, with others between them trying to warm up. The list could go on but that’s the gist of it. 

Oh, one last one on behalf of my wife - just because she is at the range alone doesn’t mean she needs unsolicited lessons. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

2 hours ago, GaryF said:

Some very good comments so I won’t repeat, but one category that is a bit tangent to etiquette while playing, is at the driving range.

If you get a phone call, step well away from where others are hitting.  Standing in your hitting spot while arguing over the phone, and announcing you can transfer $1.4M in the next 10 minutes isn’t helping me warm up or practice.  I was tempted to offer my routing number but was pretty sure all I would have received was a middle finger.  Or a group of (usually) women getting ready to play conversing with other members of their group 20-30 feet away, with others between them trying to warm up. The list could go on but that’s the gist of it. 

Oh, one last one on behalf of my wife - just because she is at the range alone doesn’t mean she needs unsolicited lessons. 

I’ve started wearing earbuds on the range for these reasons. The range I use has only two LH mats, and for some reason, a couple guys decided park themselves next to me in an empty range and have a business discussion. Not sure what that’s about.

With the advent of Top Tracer, I’ve noticed that ranges have turned into weekend nights at the bowling alley. That’s fine, as long as I know the score going in.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

6 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

I’ve started wearing earbuds on the range for these reasons. The range I use has only two LH mats, and for some reason, a couple guys decided park themselves next to me in an empty range and have a business discussion. Not sure what that’s about.

With the advent of Top Tracer, I’ve noticed that ranges have turned into weekend nights at the bowling alley. That’s fine, as long as I know the score going in.

Earbuds is a great idea.  We live at a private residential golf community so it doesn’t get too outrageous but so many know each other I think leads to some of this.  And some conducting biz are supposedly doing WFH, but at the range.  We have guests that stay at one of the cottages and they can run the spectrum from overly respectful (majority) to a few that since they pay a lot to stay here can make up their own rules. 

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

On 2/20/2023 at 7:23 PM, Kenny B said:

It should be against the law for someone to own a laser rangefinder if they can't consistently get the ball on or near the green.

I wasn't gonna be that harsh, but .. f*** yeah. It just seems to me that most of the guys using one absolutely, positively, definitively and unequivocally do not "need" one. At all. 🤷‍♂️

And then... And then... They take a long, slow walk from their riding cart with ONLY the range finder in hand!!????!!

(ok rant over)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

3 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

I wasn't gonna be that harsh, but .. f*** yeah. It just seems to me that most of the guys using one absolutely, positively, definitively and unequivocally do not "need" one. At all. 🤷‍♂️

And then... And then... They take a long, slow walk from their riding cart with ONLY the range finder in hand!!????!!

(ok rant over)

Yes.  For them a GPS watch is just fine.

Well... I do walk from the cart to my ball (if not in Martha's way) without a club to get my yardage with GPS.  She drives the cart to me after her shot and I pull my club.  😉

So kinda related question to the group...

My wife, while not a beginner, may have a hole here and there where the ball is being oppositional-defiant and refusing to go much closer to the hole with each shot .. which may, when by the green, be paired with chipping the ball into a bunker or even through the green (tho this is much less frequent as she actually has a reasonable short game).

The pace of play problem comes in that she likes to finish each hole with the ball "clinking" into the cup...

So- how do I tactfully without offending her nor endangering myself 😝 ask her to pick up and move on..?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I suppose I am rather 'old school' when it comes to golf etiquette.  I believe people should treat each other with respect, keep quiet when someone is swinging, keep the pace of play going, and don't be an ass to the cart girl.  When Covid hit I saw a huge increase in the number of new golfers on the course.  Sadly they had no instruction on how to act on the course, and it was terrible.  Slow play and not letting anyone play through was the worst in my opinion

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

On 2/20/2023 at 7:23 PM, Kenny B said:

11 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

(ok rant over)

Totally agree with both and yes I own one of them and no I don't always get on consistently but then I don't usually range the flag unless a playing partner asks.

My laser rangefinder is my guarantee I don't hit a ball that has possibility of finding the group in front.  Used sparingly and never held for any longer than absolutely necessary.  Oh has also been used to spot distances for PGA Drive Chip and Putt competitions for the youngsters.

How do I come to own such an expensive device for such a safety conscious use?  I am glad you asked that (by reading lol) and I could not own one from my own resources TBH, except for winning 1st prize for the 2021 PGA Championship MGS Pool, thank you very much everyone 👍

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

8 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

My wife, while not a beginner, may have a hole here and there where the ball is being oppositional-defiant and refusing to go much closer to the hole with each shot .. which may, when by the green, be paired with chipping the ball into a bunker or even through the green (tho this is much less frequent as she actually has a reasonable short game).

The pace of play problem comes in that she likes to finish each hole with the ball "clinking" into the cup...

So- how do I tactfully without offending her nor endangering myself 😝 ask her to pick up and move on..?

Self preservation my friend, good luck 🍀

26 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Martha said:  "With your 🤐"  😆

Apparently, I can't keep my 🤐, so my advice is to let her finish out, but ask Lisa to finish out once she gets on the green.  In the meantime, you can finish out while waiting.

We play with a lady who is a relatively decent player, walks the course and plays rather quickly until she gets on the green.  Then she putts and marks her ball.  When it's her turn, she putts and if misses, marks her ball... even if it's only 2 feet from the cup... to let someone else putt.

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

(ok rant over)

This always rankles me to no end - par 5, hits a poor tee shot about 180 yards leaving ~300 yards from the green, 150 from the 150 marker.  Parks the cart 20 yards behind the ball, range finder in hand, no club.  Is there really a choice that matters?

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Martha said:  "With your 🤐"  😆

hahaha love it and gotta pay attention to that advice!

6 hours ago, GaryF said:

Is there really a choice that matters?

In this hypothetical duffer's mind - yes. Clearly he needs the *exact* yardage to clear the fairway bunker with his 3W that's 240 down range from where he's standing (note: not from behind his ball 🤦‍♂️)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Somebody may have already said it but, the best advice I got when I was brand new was the amount of clubs in your bag. Most beginners don’t know their yardages and probably don’t need more than say 6 or 7 clubs to get going. Speeds up play by having less to think about and you end up getting really familiar with the basics. Don’t even need wedges, just bump and run ALL day. 

Driver -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Speedline F11 8.5°

WoodTaylorMade.png.45cd3b99702fd97787bf7959e5a23980.png SLDR 16.5°

Hybrid - Callaway.png.a491223c3e2866e981c547eee04defb8.png  Apex 23°

Irons -Titleist.png.24064e9d1a4c68621e6906d0130398cb.png 762 DCI  5 -PW

Wedges -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Tom Watson RC14 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter Yes!.png.451dba2a835bb9fbe7b3bbb57abf633c.png Valerie

BallsNoodz.png.f11f61e8cb08b785062fdfac6827e9d0.png The Noodz!

I admit I haven't read through this thread entirely, so apologies if this has been said. However if you have questions just ask! As a beginner or even first time on a course it can be intimidating and nerve racking. So in order to enjoy yourself on the course and also the playing partners, don't be afraid to ask questions. Whether it is about where the next hole is, what the hole is like, if they want a ball marked, if they play honors or ready golf and whatever else. Most* are more than willing to help or be of help to aid in everyone having a good experience.  

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 1 month later...

The one thing I've noticed in my fairly short time golfing is that many people, and most newbies, seem to expect to play like Tiger Woods.  It's okay to suck, and also to be frustrated.  As long as you don't get overly and outwardly upset and can keep pace with those around you, 99% of people won't care that you're new.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

As far as this topic goes, I think the main thing to teach new golfers is "Pace of play".  I fall into the range of the better than average golfer but by no means great.  I've played with Pros in Pro-ams in my state and I've played with guys who shot 140.  I can play with guys who shoot double par as long as they PLAY and KEEP MOVING.  I've also played with guys who were better than me but WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH must we look for balls on every stinking hole INCLUDING tee boxes. Hardly anyone walks these days so you must learn cart speed of play as well. If your cartmate is on one side of the fairway or even in the gigs, you can do one of 3 things.  Drop him off to look for his ball.  (by the way, you've got THREE minutes.  NOT 5 or 10)  Drop me off at may ball and let me play while you look. And if you're both playable, park in between and walk to your respective balls WITH your club or maybe even 2 or 3 clubs should you not be certain.  Keep an extra ball in your pocket JUST IN CASE and for GODS sake, Pre mark your ball so if you're in a competition, (A money game no matter how insignificant) There's no danger of playing the wrong ball. These few simple things will make the round much more enjoyable for you and your fellow golfers in your group and the course.

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

On 2/16/2023 at 1:08 PM, Nick_Keller12 said:

I think the biggest rule of etiquette that's missed by all players is to allow faster players to play through. Doesn't matter how fast you're playing, if there's a group behind you that's capable of playing faster, they're waiting on you each hole, and there's room in front of you, then you should let them through.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

1.  Pace of play.  Learn ready golf.  If you are learning the game you will undoubtedly fall behind on some holes.  Talk to experienced players, it won't annoy them, they'll be happy to help you through things like when to let groups behind you play through.

2.  Greens etiquette.....Repair (properly) pitch marks.  Please pick up your feet when walking on greens.   Don't spit seed shells on the green (or dip).  Knock the sand off your shoes before walking to the green after playing out of a bunker.

3.  Jerks.....You will run into jerks on the course from time to time.  Perhaps they are members that think they own the place, perhaps they are having a bad round and let the world know it with their attitude (club throwing guy), perhaps they are sloppy drunks.......Politely apologize and ignore these folks and make a "note to self" that this is not how to act in any situation.  I used to be one of these jerks when I was younger, and it cost me a lot of friends that I enjoyed playing golf with.  Turns out they did not enjoy playing golf only when I was with them.  Recognize "the jerks" and make an oath not to be one of them (this is half the battle in regards to "golf etiquette")  

Play with more experienced golfers when you can.  Ask questions.  Common sense and a little respect goes a long way in golf.

Taylormade P790 P-5 / Vokey 50, 54, 58, 62 / Callaway sub-zero driver 8degree / Taylormade 3-wood / Callaway 3-hybrid / Taylormade spider X putter