Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MyGolfSpy 2023 Golf Ball Test!!!

GolfSpy SAM

I'm pretty much in line with what you want to see. It'll be interesting to compare how the new MaxFli balls compare to the previous models and how the Tour S fits in their lineup. The PXG ball is the big one for me...not that I'll buy them, but I would like to see if they are as good as they claim. 

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm pretty much in line with what you want to see. It'll be interesting to compare how the new MaxFli balls compare to the previous models and how the Tour S fits in their lineup. The PXG ball is the big one for me...not that I'll buy them, but I would like to see if they are as good as they claim. 

Right there with you on the PXG golf ball. Vice would be the others that I have a particular interest in!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Right there with you on the PXG golf ball. Vice would be the others that I have a particular interest in!

Seeing as I just bought the "Cube" of Maxfli Tour X's, I certainly hope they live up to last iteration's ball 🙂 lol.  

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

The new Callaway ERC Soft with the urethane coating.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

Penfold Heart and ACE!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I'm curious as to Mizuno's new balls, as well as the Bridgestone balls. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I can only imagine how many days this is going to take them. I think @Tony Covey MGS should get a lazy boy for it and that way he can be in a little more of a comfortable state. 

Thanks for doing this all and I am sure there will be many surprises and stand outs as there was last time around!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to MyGolfSpy 2023 Golf Ball Test!!!

I think this would be an easier question to ask in reverse - any balls that should be left out 🙂  I would like to see everything, but the questions I would like to see are more related to testing. I think you have your test in pretty good shape, but an area that I would like to see investigated revolves around damage.  I just had a round where I played really well and managed to hit the cartpath 5 times in a round and got a bunch of ball wounds.

I was testing 2 balls from a Titleist ball fitting and was testing the 2023 ProV1 vs the ProV1 left dash.

The Left Dash has been my preferred ball for some time and it actually sustained some cutting of the cover. The cuts being flaps torn into the cover - the kind of thing where I will usually pull a ball.  So my thoughts on one area to test is this:

• Variations of damage to performance
    • Minor scuff
    • Tar mark from fresh pavement
    • Cover cuts
    • Loss of shine - ProV1 is classic for doing this with regular use
  • Once you have the list above, what happens to:
    • Tee shots (Direction, Carry, Overall)
    • Approach (Direction, Carry, Spin)
    • Shorter shots and Chips (Spin)

I am just curious as to how does the damage affect the balls.  I am sure the reason we do not see much on this is because you have to figure out how to damage the balls and if the damage is not similar you are comparing apples to oranges. So how about you come up with a damage test:

Fire balls from a type of canon at various paths (Concrete, Pavement).  That gives you the damage, then carry out the test with those damaged balls.

Sorry for the long post, but I think you get the idea of what I am looking for in this test.  I think that this issue may be more important for most golfers than the regular performance numbers, because if the damage is killing the performance, you need to pull the ball - which no one likes to do

Vice Pro and Pro Plus for sure. They seem "spinnier" for me than Pro V or Pro V1 and would like to see if that's the case. And ditto above, not sure if this will be tested or not, but I find that the Vice Pro's tend to be damaged easier than other balls. Again don't know if there is any science to that or I just hit into too many rocks of the Hill Country!

Driver: Epic Speed Driver - 10.5°, Mitsubishi MMT 70 Graphite, Stiff, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Fairway: MAVRIK 4-Wood - 16.5°, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 70 Graphite, 6.0, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Hybrid: MAVRIK Pro 3 Hybrid - 20°, KBS 70/80 HYB Graphite, Stiff, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Irons: Srixon Z-585 forged 4-6 iron, Z-785 7-AW Modus3 Tour105, Stiff, Golf Pride MCC grips

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe, 58° & 54° TT Dynamic Gold Spinner, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grips

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft V, Super Stroke Pistol GT 1.0 grip

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx or Chrome Soft LX Triple track

League: Mission City Golf Association (https://www.missioncitygolf.org)

MCGA_Logo12_trnspbkgd_200X200_96dpi.jpg

Make sure the softer 2 piece golf ball like the new Wilson Duo, Vice Drive, Callaway SuperSoft, Srixon Soft feel, Bridgestone e6, Titleist Velocity and TaylorMade Soft Response.

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

The new snell ball coming in the spring if they can get enough to test 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

One more vote for the new Mizuno balls.

It seems that they are genuinely reinvented this year, so will be interesting to see if they bring something unique, if they have 'just' caught up, and what the actual charecteristics of them are compared to the usual suspects... 🍿

image.png.003238e0852816b75c27eb3228cda56c.png150+ rounds. Absolutely a game changer. Highly recommended.

:titleist-small: Driver TSR3 - 9 deg. - Graphite Design Tour AD UB6 Stiff

:titleist-small: 3W TSR2 - 15 deg. - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65 Stiff

:callaway-small: 5W Callaway Rogue - Aldila Synergy 60 R

:mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro - KBS C Taper Lite Stiff 110g - Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize 5-PW

:callaway-small: 50, 54, 58 deg. - NS Pro Tour 

:EVNROLL:  Evnroll ER 2.2

image.png.c3ba995284503ddca7799d2e457b8245.png Silencer Cart Bag 2016

image.png.465431eef6f2889a551590ae6a41ed71.png Motocaddy M7 Remote trolley

I would like to see comparison of current/new balls compared to previous generation.  This would be especially interesting for slower swing speeds as manufacturers claim more distance but that is usually for higher swing speeds so it might be worth saving money for slower speeds to use the lesser expensive prior generation. 

Ping G430 Driver and 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 16.5 degree 3 wood

Ping G430 4 & 5 hybrids

Ping G425 irons

Vokey SM 9 54 and 58 wedges

Ping Ketsch putter

Agree on wanting to see how the new Maxfli Tour balls stack up. I played the Tour (both white and yellow) the past year and thought they played as well as any of the other tour balls I played (Pro V1 and TP5).  Though this ball might be out of scope because Titleist markets it primarily in Japan, but the Titleist VG3 is being sold at two of my local golf courses and are being promoted as "10-20 yards longer."  I'm skeptical to say the least, but would be interested in any data on this ball.

Ping G400 Driver, Ping G410 3W & 5W, Cobra King F9 4h, Cobra King F9 irons (5 - GW), Cleveland CBX Wedges (54* and 60*), Odyssey Toe Up 1 Putter

I really enjoy Ball Lab and the results of the larger ball test.  No matter how many brands/models you test someone will be disappointed that their favorite ball -- either to use or to deride -- is going to be left out. 

Like at least some other MSGers, I imagine, the only premium-priced balls I play are the free range kind that roam my home course.  The most I have paid for balls is $35/doz for last year's Tour Response Stripe (Mini review:  feels good on full and partial shots; goes far enough given my inconsistency; putts well; love the broad stripe as an alignment aid; green stripe not vivid enough so ball can get easily lost in mid-to-long rough) and $30/doz for Mafli Tour and Tour X (haven't used them enough to give a mini review).

I appreciate that Tony Covey keeps banging his "soft-is-slow" drum for all y'all swinging driver at 105+.  (I'm not even sure my 11-year old four-cylinder Ford Fusion can top 105 any more.)  But I appreciate even more being able to have (or find) some information about the balls I see advertised or find on the course.

Long way of saying, I've got no vested interests in what you test but hope you'll test a wide variety of balls.  Happy testing!

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

18 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Let's hear it - what absolutely needs to be included? PXG, MaxFli's new balls and anything new in the DTC space are what I'm most interested in. 

What about you?

Definitely the PXG and Maxflix balls. How about the OnCore Vero X2. 

Play like a champion today!