Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

MyGolfSpy 2023 Golf Ball Test!!!

GolfSpy SAM

On 9/4/2023 at 8:09 PM, Javs said:

I like the triple track

I've played a few more rounds and forced myself to use the triple track and I agree the more I'm using it the more I'm loving it. 

DRIVER:                        ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:                Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Standard grip 

JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Standard grip                                  

IRONS:                         MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,   New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:                    Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:                            Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions) 

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS                                                  

BAG:                     TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:        Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

5 minutes ago, mbrodeur86 said:

I've played a few more rounds and forced myself to use the triple track and I agree the more I'm using it the more I'm loving it. 

The original triple track or the 360º?

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Ping G410 (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Just now, tdc1 said:

The original triple track or the 360º?

Original. I find that the 360 one makes it look more like a range ball

On 9/4/2023 at 6:43 AM, Ben Joest said:

Bought a dozen Bridgestone Tour BX to try out based on the ball test results. Haven’t played a Bridgestone since the B330 days, so I am curious to see what I’ve got.

I was a big fan of this ball a few years back. It is long off the tee but like the pro v1 it spun 2 much for me off of wedges and mid irons. I'm the type of player who's usually short to the flag so spinning the ball back 10-15 feet hurts my chances of making more birds or saving pars. I need something that hops and stops and the Chrome Soft X LS is doing just that for me. 

DRIVER:                        ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:                Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Standard grip 

JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Standard grip                                  

IRONS:                         MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,   New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:                    Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:                            Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions) 

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS                                                  

BAG:                     TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:        Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

On 9/3/2023 at 2:12 PM, JohnnyO3478 said:

Three rounds completed this weekend. Lost 2 Triads.  The first one lasted 33 holes! 

I absolutely walloped one on 17 today. Overall it was a good driver day and mostly a good approach shot day. Made 5 pars on the back 9 which is more than normal for me - a 19 index player. I needed every one of them to offset the 8 I carded on 16 .....

This week I'll go out in the evening and play some holes with both the Triad and Maxfli Tour - head to head.

Done.  For me - there's only a difference of weight and price for these two balls.  I ordered 4 dz Maxfli Tour this morning - but I would not hesitate to play the Triad if that's all I could get in yellow. 

It has been a fun process - and I thank the folks at MGS once again for providing such a tremendous amount of data on this front.  Very good work, IMO.

Now to focus on lowering that index of mine .....

Cheers and best of luck to all of you finding the right ball for your game.

New stock o' Tours arrived - should be good through October ..... 

First I've bought in the 2023 yellow color.  I'd only tested the white 2023 and the older yellow ball, thus far.  As suspected - holding them in your hand and looking at the paint (minus the logos) you cannot tell them apart from the yellow Triad ball.  And what's more - both models weigh about the same - withing 0.1 g on avg.  As I stated before - the white Tour was noticably heavier (you could feel the difference) - on average 0.3 g heavier.  Must be heavier stuff in the white paint pigment - titanium, perhaps.  Dunno.  

Heading out to play 18, in a bit.  The guy I play on Saturday with - is going to take the Triads for a spin.  He's rapidly running out of his Pro V1 stock from a few years ago - and has vowed to not pay the new higher prices.  'nother round (of golf) tomorrow with the wife ...

20230908_195905.jpg

20230908_200240 (1).jpg

How often does Vice run their buy 5 get 1 dozen free deal?

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

2 minutes ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

New stock o' Tours arrived - should be good through October ..... 

First I've bought in the 2023 yellow color.  I'd only tested the white 2023 and the older yellow ball, thus far.  As suspected - holding them in your hand and looking at the paint (minus the logos) you cannot tell them apart from the yellow Triad ball.  And what's more - both models weigh about the same - withing 0.1 g on avg.  As I stated before - the white Tour was noticably heavier (you could feel the difference) - on average 0.3 g heavier.  Must be heavier stuff in the white paint pigment - titanium, perhaps.  Dunno.  

Heading out to play 18, in a bit.  The guy I play on Saturday with - is going to take the Triads for a spin.  He's rapidly running out of his Pro V1 stock from a few years ago - and has vowed to not pay the new higher prices.  'nother round (of golf) tomorrow with the wife ...

20230908_195905.jpg

20230908_200240 (1).jpg

Interested to see how things work out for you. I’ve been thinking it’s time to try yellow again with my eyesight being what it is and the Tour was going to be my next ball purchase. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 9/6/2023 at 4:13 PM, No3PuttLaLa said:

Switched to the Bridgestone Tour B X for my last 2 rounds and am sold on them. The ball absolutely jumps off my club face and I am getting green spin that I have never had before. On Saturday I hit a 56° that shot back 10 yards on the green. Don’t know if I could do that again but certainly never happened with any other ball I played TP5, AVX, Project a, Kirkland Signature. 

Had an almost full PW to the pin on front of the green , cart driver pulled us right beside my ball when I hit the ball I knew it was sweet, turned and stuck the wedge in the bag and looked up as I walked around the cart and I was pin high roughly 4-5 foot right of flag when we got to the green I asked the others in the scramble where the heck my ball mark was because I couldnt find it [ I had put my club up and didnt watch the ball to the green ] One of the guys in the scramble stuttered its under the f##%$%^^^ ball . We all cracked up 😄. That pretty yellow Bridgestone doing what it does.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

54 minutes ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

First I've bought in the 2023 yellow color.  I'd only tested the white 2023 and the older yellow ball, thus far. . . 

I’ve only tried the previous generation in yellow and found the paint chipped/flaked easily.  Will be interested to hear how the 2023 hold up.

4 hours ago, tdc1 said:

I’ve only tried the previous generation in yellow and found the paint chipped/flaked easily.  Will be interested to hear how the 2023 hold up.

Played 16 with the one ball today (used an old Pro V1 on two water holes). I hit no trees or cart paths - so it still looks good. I do not expect them to weather impacts with wood or asphalt any better than the old model.

My playing partner eagle-eyed that the Triad and Tour dimple patterns are indeed different. I woulda thunk Foremost only had one 318 dimple pattern mold. But apparently, that's not the case.

The new Tour played as I expected it would.

On 9/9/2023 at 10:52 AM, tdc1 said:

32 holes, hitting 2 trees and taking long rides on 2 cart paths. Not as much damage as I would have expected. Perhaps Foremost did upgrade the finish on the new yellow Tours ....

I have one dotted up for play in the simulator. Will see how it handles that.

The yellow Triad wears like the older yellow Tour.

20230910_133741.jpg

20230910_133800.jpg

20230910_133813.jpg

Edited by JohnnyO3478

I took the ball test data, selected the balls that I'm most interested in, and then simulated data based on my swing speed, which is conveniently halfway between 115 and 100. I hit the ball too high with too much spin, so while I'm not doing weighted averages yet, I just wanted a hot-take of low-spin, low-flying golf balls.

Haven't made any purchases yet (still quite a stockpile to burn through and will likely wait until winter sales promotions...) but apparently my Left Dash should get a little more love from me, there's nothing really wrong with my XLS's (also nothing that really stands out), and maybe I should learn to love the Marshmallow AVX... (and maybe I should pick up some Maxfli Tour S's to at least test). On the opposite end of the spectrum, I thought it was hilarious that the standard Z-Star is basically the exact inverse of what I need. It and the Maxfli Tour fly high, spin a lot, and drop like pancakes. I don't need aaaaaany more of that in my game.

garner ball test data.png

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, GregGarner said:

I took the ball test data, selected the balls that I'm most interested in, and then simulated data based on my swing speed, which is conveniently halfway between 115 and 100. I hit the ball too high with too much spin, so while I'm not doing weighted averages yet, I just wanted a hot-take of low-spin, low-flying golf balls.

Haven't made any purchases yet (still quite a stockpile to burn through and will likely wait until winter sales promotions...) but apparently my Left Dash should get a little more love from me, there's nothing really wrong with my XLS's (also nothing that really stands out), and maybe I should learn to love the Marshmallow AVX... (and maybe I should pick up some Maxfli Tour S's to at least test). On the opposite end of the spectrum, I thought it was hilarious that the standard Z-Star is basically the exact inverse of what I need. It and the Maxfli Tour fly high, spin a lot, and drop like pancakes. I don't need aaaaaany more of that in my game.

garner ball test data.png

I'd pick the ball that best suits how you hit you mid-iron - without sacrificing any ball speed off the driver, then get with a fitter or teaching pro to see about adjusting your driver or your swing to get a lower spin rate off the driver face.

1 hour ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

32 holes, hitting 2 trees and taking long rides on 2 cart paths. Not as much damage as I would have expected. Perhaps Foremost dis upgrade the finish on the new yellow Tours ....

I have one dotted up for play in the simulator. Will see how it handles that.

The yellow Triad wears like the older yellow Tour.

Couldn’t find yellow locally so I’m trying white Wilson Triad and Titleist Tour Speed.  Trying to use up my old Maxfli Tour X before trying new Tour.  I don’t have launch monitor so only on course impressions.

5 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Couldn’t find yellow locally so I’m trying white Wilson Triad and Titleist Tour Speed.  Trying to use up my old Maxfli Tour X before trying new Tour. 

... I was gonna pick up a dozen Yellow Maxfli Tours but OH MY are they in your face YELLOW. Not Titliest or Srixon yellow, but insanely bright traffic stopping yellow. 😱

unknown.jpg.312ad7774519c23f1e07df591e3703b8.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 Max 10.5* ... Graphite Design AD-IZr
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:  Custom EV 5.1  33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

38 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I was gonna pick up a dozen Yellow Maxfli Tours but OH MY are they in your face YELLOW. Not Titliest or Srixon yellow, but insanely bright traffic stopping yellow. 😱

unknown.jpg.312ad7774519c23f1e07df591e3703b8.jpg

Based on how bad my eyes are getting, now I REALLY want to pick up a dozen in yellow!!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

Truth be told, they're really more of a chartreuse than a yellow. When I think of a yellow ball, my mental model is the dull yellow range ball. These are not those. These can be seen from orbit. Which is good, because that's where I tend to send them when they're a little high on the driver face...

Edited by GregGarner

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

22 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

Truth be told, they're really more of a chartreuse than a yellow. When I think of a yellow ball, my mental model is the dull yellow range ball. These are not those. These can be seen from orbit. Which is good, because that's where I tend to send them when they're a little high on the driver face...

My home course uses yellow range balls. The 9th hole - at willow creek in Farragut, TN is a long dog-leg par 5 that borders the driving range all along the right. There are always balls from the range on this hole. It's good to have the Maxfli looking unique when playing here!

2 hours ago, chisag said:

For those of us who are optically challenged, that's a great feature!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

40 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

For those of us who are optically challenged, that's a great feature!

... I don't really like colored balls anyway, so glad they work for the folks that enjoy them! 🥳

55 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I don't really like colored balls anyway, so glad they work for the folks that enjoy them! 🥳

I feel the same way. I really hate yellow balls so praying everyday my vision doesn’t get any worse 😂

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

27 minutes ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

Which is the most offensively yellow ???

None of the above!  

Maybe it is because I didn’t start playing until I was 40 y/o (1990) — no junior golf, no family golf club membership growing up, no other players in the family — that I saw a white golf ball as just another choice along with yellow and orange.  Today will I play white, yellow, orange, pink, Tour Response stripe, TP5 pix, Callaway Truvis and triple track.  About the only ones I don’t play are red, blue, and Vice drip — just can’t find them after bad hits.  Yellow remains my preference, however.

If not for Wayne Levi and Jerry Pate, would white still be our only option?

2 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Maybe it is because I didn’t start playing until I was 40 y/o (1990) — no junior golf, no family golf club membership growing up, no other players in the family — that I saw a white golf ball as just another choice along with yellow and orange.  Today will I play white, yellow, orange, pink, Tour Response stripe, TP5 pix, Callaway Truvis and triple track.  About the only ones I don’t play are red, blue, and Vice drip — just can’t find them after bad hits.  Yellow remains my preference, however.

... Didn't start til I was 35 and straight to a muni myownself. But pretty much all the colored balls were cheap surlyn balls and just hard to shake that image. I have yet to see a scratch or better playing a cored ball, but I am sure some younger players are out there. I have seen plenty of patterned balls like PIX and Truvis in scratch players arsenal, just not colors. 

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

. I have yet to see a scratch or better playing a cored ball, 

While you may not have seen any of them, there are a few professionals over the years that have used colored balls and I'd consider the better than scratch:  

Bubba Watson has  played neon green and pink (Masters) golf balls.

KJ Choi, Hale Irwin, Fred Couples (2023masters) have used yellow.

Wayne Levi and Jerry Pate used Orange

Chella Choi uses orange ones.

Lee Ilhee and Lee Mi Hyang use yellow golf balls.

Paula Creamer and Pornanong Phatlum used Pink

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

Which is the most offensively yellow ???

20230910_195647.jpg

Might be a dumb question but does your sim require those dots or what’s the purpose behind dotting it for your sim?

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Driver: Aerojet LS (9.0)

image.png.47d8335a6ed74f5ce323f36dde1e64f5.pngMini Driver: BRNR Mini Driver (13.5)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg X Forged Utility 18 degree 2 iron

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Apex X Forged CB (4-6); Apex MB (7-9)

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png PW: MB RF 

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

photo-203973.jpg.72b2eb1ed527f5bfef6c6f39d952c2f0.jpg Putter: 2015 Queen B 6

image.png  V2 Bag

Ball: Still Searching for My Perfect Gamer

Previously Tested: BirdieBall 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat