TESTERS WANTED! ×

Custom Putter Feedback

beavertail

Hi everyone. I made my own putter and need some market feedback for my marketing class in college. I would love to receive some feedback on this build! This is a carbon steel head with a copper neck and sight dot. 

Some questions for my project,

Do you see value in the multi material design?

Do you like the simplistic design?

What is your favorite and least favorite part?

Would you be excited to use this?

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release?

These are all hypothetical questions and it would be awesome if you guys could give some feedback! Thanks!

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

Do you see value in the multi material design?

Yes, even if it just the aesthetics it makes it stand out. How it impacts performance would be the other question. Maybe it allows for more custom options such as lie angle.

I'm not a blade putter guy so would prefer a mallet. However for a anser style putter it does have a very nice classic look.

Color scheme and the black with copper for sure my favorite. Least is again that it's a blade putter.

I would be excited to try it. Use it for rounds would need to see other options such as grip, length, lie angle and other performance. So try yes! 

I'm a lefty so likely not, however love the looks again and think it's a cool project. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Do you see value in the multi material design?   Multi material designs have been around for a while and they are pretty cool as you can leverage different looks on different parts of the putter.   Based on feedback I have read on putter centric forums, multi material designs are typically liked.  

Do you like the simplistic design?   It is a basic anser 2 style putter.    From a marketing perspective I don't think I would say "simplistic" but would say traditional

What is your favorite and least favorite part?   I like the overall design;  I am drawn to putters with a site dot and wider topline.  Also like the color combination.    Least favorite part is the neck/head connection point;  it looks unfinished.  

Would you be excited to use this?  It is a nice looking putter,  but usage is about performance and we have no ideal how well balanced the putter is or how much it weighs so I have no ideal if it would perform will in my hands.  

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release?  having an idea of material costs and time to make a putter,  i'd say no as it would probably be more than I would want to spend.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Do you see value in the multi material design? Don’t really see any value in this use of the multimaterial This design isn’t one I would seek out. Multimaterial designs are nice because you can make things unique which depending on what materials and how they are used can be of value.

Do you like the simplistic design? It’s a basic anser style putter. Not really simplistic. Simplistic to me would be an 8802 style putter.

What is your favorite and least favorite part? Favorite part is the anser style. Least favorite is the sole. I like a flatter cleaner looking sole.

Would you be excited to use this? Unfortunately don’t have any excitement to use this

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release? No

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks great, good job! What's the weight, loft, lie etc?

To answer your questions:

Do you see value in the multi material design? I don't think there is any real world advantage to using different materials for the neck & alignment but it does give you the option for custom designs.

Do you like the simplistic design? It's not too simplistic in design - as said, that would be an 8802 style. It is simplistic in looks though, not much going on except a head with clean lines and nice dot. 

What is your favorite and least favorite part? The shape suits my eye, not a fan of the black finish though. 

Would you be excited to use this? I'm a lefty so it wouldn't be any good to me (and I make my own putters too 😉 )

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release? It wouldn't be something I'd buy as it's the wrong way round. Get people playing it and see what feedback you get and go from there. I'm on my 4th design now and have changed a few things based on feedback from my previous versions. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Great job on the putter.

Do you see value in the multi material design?

Yes for weight distribution mainly, but also looks.

I need a putter that’s not too “busy” and fits, so yes.

Yes. I’ve found certain “crazy shapes” and a lot of lines cause me line issues.

Shape of putter bottom is my favorite, for some reason I think it will help on taking the putter backstroke.  Least favorite would be the hosel, but not due to color.  The hosel is copper and copper is pretty soft.  I could see it being bent accidentally, upsetting lie or loft.

Yes, it has a classic, clean look

I was putter fitted recently and much to my surprise I need a lot of toe hang.  I’ve always putted with lined styles mallets.  Turns out I aim the lines left and my stroke fits a more toe hang.  Cleaner designs with toe hang is my fit.  I’m guessing I’d need more toe hang than your putter has and I would be worried about bending the hosel accidentally, so most likely I wouldn’t purchase.  However, if I saw it in a store, I would want to roll it and see how it feels.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

First let me commend you on doing a great job. The two material look is wonderful. However trying to enter the putter market is an incredible uphill battle. I tried it myself with a similar style many years ago. To try and get what you think it may be worth borders on impossible. I wish you all the best. Follow your dreams but be prepared for the rocky road ahead

Do you see value in the multi material design? Yes

Do you like the simplistic design? Not really simplistic but a look that has been around a while

What is your favorite and least favorite part? Probably the two part color combination with clean lines. Least favorite is where the hosel meets the head. Looks unfinished.

Would you be excited to use this? I’m a center shafted guy so probably not.

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release? No.

TaylorMade  M1 custom driver with Talamonti Lite 55 gram R flex shaft
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 17 degree 3 wood Matrix Ozik R flex
Ping G2 17 degree 5 woodw TFC 100 R shaft
TaylorMade SLDR 3 Rescue 19 degree w Fuji 82h Speeder S shaft
TaylorMade SIM Max OS irons 4-PW w Fuji Ventus 6R shafts
TM RSi1 50 degree gap wedge w KBS TGI 60 shaft
Callaway X c grind 56 degree wedge True Temper S steel shaft
Callaway SureOut 58 degree UST Mamiya 65 sand wedge
TaylorMade Milled Grind 60 degree lob wedge NIppon Pro modus 1 degree upright Tour 120 S shaft . All woods, hybrids and irons fitted with JumboMax grips. FBS1 modified 3 degree center shaft offset putter w JumboMax grip. Bushnell TourZ6 rangefinder

Do you see value in the multi material design? I love the look of this putter. I think the multiple metals give it a nice look.

Do you like the simplistic design? I think it is simple, but well thought out. I prefer a non-shiny putter so this would appeal to me.

What is your favorite and least favorite part? My favorite part is the copper alignment dot. Very appealing to the eye.

Would you be excited to use this? I would love to give this putter a roll.

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release? Yes I would.

In my  PING  DLX cart bag:

·         Driver:  PING G425 Max

·         Wood:  PING G425 Max 5 wood

·         Irons:  PING I500

·         Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 50, 52, 56, 60

·         Putter:  Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

·         Balls:  Titleist Tour Soft

Nice looking putter. Terrific job on the milling process. I'm assuming you milled it or had it milled.  I've liked the original anser design especially the shorter length (heel to toe) design in the originals and later in the redesigns.  With that said, I've never been able to putt well with them.  As others have stated, I prefer mallets or the thin old fashioned blade putters.  Years ago, Dunlop offered a putter with a fitting process before fitting was popular.  It featured a neck similar to your putter that was easily bendable and perhaps a little longer.  I don't think it was copper but it was a different color than the blade. Your blade looks great and the copper dot stands out nicely.  Some people like an alignment aid on top and some don't. I'd be concerned that the copper neck (presuming it is relatively soft) would be subject to being jarred out of alignment during normal use in pulling the putter out of the bag and replacing it.  Good luck with your project and grade for the assignment.

Do you see value in the multi material design? As others have mentioned, it all comes down to feel.  Multi-materials for only the sake of having them is not feature for me.

Do you like the simplistic design? I agree with another reviewer in that I'd prefer the use of "traditional" design. IMHO, it would appeal to a lot of golfers. I do like the look.

What is your favorite and least favorite part? Clean lines are my favorite part. Don't have a least favorite part.

Would you be excited to use this? I'm a sucker for putters, so yes, I would like to try on a putting green.

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release? My consideration would be based on the price.  Low price, yes.  High price, no.

Mavrik Max driver, Ping g25 fairway 16.5, Ping hybrids 22*, 27*, 30* Ping I3 irons 6-pw, u, sw, Callaway Heavenwood

Do you see value in the multi material design? as someone who used to do club repairs in a golf shop, I could see the copper being easier to bend and fit. That said, I could also see it needing to be checked more often, like a forged iron vs a cast. Looks beautiful though.

Do you like the simplistic design? Yes. I play a Scotty Newport 2, so it fits my eye. 

What is your favorite and least favorite part? I love the color choice, especially with the copper sight dot and how that was executed. Least favorite would be the flow neck. I wold want a little less toe hang, maybe a plumber.

Would you be excited to use this? Absolutely. It’s really unique and cool

Would you consider purchasing this putter if there was a limited release? Yes, depending on price and options.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5