TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Winner For The Masters To Grow Golf

JohnBarry

Here is a topic I really wanted to jump into today with you guys, Bubba Watson and the Bubba Effect on golf now that he has a Green Jacket!

Ok, lets start off with Bubba himself, a lesson less player, who plays golf with no fear, takes risks, uses his imagination, and usually swings first before thinking of the ramifications of the shot. He appeals to the young players, and those players who are always looking for the flag, not the lay up. A all or nothing type of player like Phil sometimes, and when he is on, he can be the complete package. Humble, funny, warm, and very fan friendly, which golf must have to grow.

Phil wear Travis Mathews, which like Rory, isn't a Tour Staple like Nike etc..but will be now for sure. Love seeing the new younger designer golf clothing getting out there and becoming popular.

Bubba goofs off with, and hangs with and good friends with, the younger generation of pros. I love his comedy and the fact that outside of the ropes, he doesn't take himself serious. He hangs with Ricky, Ben Crane and Hunter! Look how many Pros were there to hug and greet him as he walked off a winner, a testament to his character and nature.

He and his wife adopted a baby, again, showing that kids who have no future or very little need the attention of everyone, and if you can help, you should. A loving family man now, who's focus I think will become sharper and sharper!

Bubba elevates the game from boring to the young potential players, to exciting, he can bring more new players to the table, and he and his fellow pro friends are the future of the sport and it's growth.

Let's discuss!!!

and of course, CONGRATS BUBBA!!!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

This is an easy one. The best Master's winner in the last 10 years would be Phil's first. Bubba yesterday was a close second. But no one had even seriously consided Bubba. Phil we heard about for several years leading up to it. There was pressure on him to preform. Bubba, who did have an opportunity to win the PGA a year or so ago, did not even think about it himself until his caddie told him he was in a position to win.

Of course if you would have asked what was the best shot to ever win the Master's they approach shot on the second playoff hole by Bubba has to be it. They are redoing all the hightight reels and top 10 golf shot shows even as we speak because we have a new number 1. Who cares if he two putted. He only need three to tie.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I don't see Zach's or Phil's wins, both of whom I love as golfers, doing anything to grow the game like Bubba's can..that's the real just of post. The Bubba Effect.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Probably not as memorable as some others, but I think a solid case can be made for Zach Johnson. We're talking about a guy that basically nobody had ever heard of. Tiger is right there on the leaderboard...nipping at his heels. The guy is one mistake away from giving the title up to what some believe is the greatest golfer to ever live, and he somehow he holds on and gets it done. Gutty.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I like Bubba but to grow the game of golf you have to appeal to people outside of the golfing world. People who did not know golf may have heard of Phil Mickleson if for no other reason because his name is simular to Nicklaus. Most non golfers would not know Bubba Watson from Bo Weekly or even Zach Johnson.

The name Bubba is good for the game. I mean based on name, who would you rather root for, Davis Love III or Charles Howell III or Bubba.

You only run into a problem when you have Bubba vs Boo. Now who do you choose.

I think this is just the start of a big career for Bubba. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins 5 or more majors before his career is done. He will dominate for the same reason that other great players dominate: he can hit shots that no other player on tour can hit. He is awesome long and can move the ball right and left extensively with a today's ball that supposedly doesn't spin. Those skills are going to propel him to great things. Just wait and see.

• SPY VIP

I think this is just the start of a big career for Bubba. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wins 5 or more majors before his career is done. He will dominate for the same reason that other great players dominate: he can hit shots that no other player on tour can hit. He is awesome long and can move the ball right and left extensively with a today's ball that supposedly doesn't spin. Those skills are going to propel him to great things. Just wait and see.

He is to the rest of the golf course what Phil Mickelson is around the greens.

If nothing else, I'm optimistic that Watson's victory on a day when Tiger didn't even make it on to my TV screen will finally convince the golf media that golf doesn't really NEED Tiger Woods (he's nice to have around, but he's not the only story), and more to the point, they'll find the stones to go looking for a story with a line more compelling that "Is He back", or "When will he Be Back", or "Can golf grow with out Tiger Woods". Good Tiger, or Bad Tiger...either way he's made PGA media guys soft and complacent.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

The guy has always been an artiest around the golf course but he hasn't always been in the best mental state to win a golf tournament from time to time may it be his self claim of getting pumped up like a little kid or the lows and frustration / temper that he once had on the golf course. It is obvious for me that Bubba has made huge leaps forward in terms of mental approach and attitude. For a man that has all of the talent in hitting golf shots, was the last piece he needed a great mental game? I think that if he stays that relaxed as he was talking about in his interviews I see big things coming from Bubba.

I think he always has been a great personalty for golf, big hitting self taught brutally honest down to earth guy. This all in a sport of coaching to death and what some might consider poor attitude to fans. Bubba i think is the opposite of what the general stipulation of tour players is currently. It was great to hear him say in his post round interview and I am summarizing a little don't think these were his exact words... 'I don't play golf for fame and money I play it for the love of the sport'

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I love that interview from Bubba

I just think Bubba's win, along with Rory, pushes us past the "Tiger Era" and the game of golf can now see a growth spurt due to these new players.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I love that interview from Bubba

I just think Bubba's win, along with Rory, pushes us past the "Tiger Era" and the game of golf can now see a growth spurt due to these new players.

And yet the media guys on Twitter are all talking about ratings being down. Yeah...Tiger wasn't there. Of course, Tiger had to win before he became Tiger...and let's not forget that it was Easter Sunday. Maybe these nitwits should focus less on the ratings, and more on telling the story of the guy who won the tournament.

With the whole "I've never had a dream go this far" quote, how can you not pull for the guy? It's clear he was truly humbled by the experience and it's refreshing to see someone so overwhelmed by a moment. He seems like the genuine article and will be a great representative for title and the green jacket.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

So lets think past Tiger for a second, and the golf landscape that is left. There is Rory at the head I think we could all agree, but right behind him comes Bubba and maybe even Hunter. There guys that are young, and great for the game of golf, and each guy totally different, and yet seemingly very accessable to fans, and each guy and their abilities and how they play the game, good for the game and growing it.

It's weird, but I really see Bubba, Ben Crane, Hunter and Ricky's viral videos really expanding the market of golf and the player base. These videos are all over the net, show the human, funny side of the players, and actually make them more like you or I.

At the end of the Master's, I saw a fan dressed head to toe in Ricky Orange, and that is even more common day in and day out. Travis Mathews came from no where to being all over Golf Galaxy and TGW and the players. The climate of golf is changing, which is good, it was getting old and stale, so here is the growth opportunity the PGA has been looking for, let's see if they can take advantage of this.

I also would like to patient the term "The Bubba Effect" because I think we are really going to be seeing this going forward.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

So lets think past Tiger for a second, and the golf landscape that is left. There is Rory at the head I think we could all agree, but right behind him comes Bubba and maybe even Hunter. There guys that are young, and great for the game of golf, and each guy totally different, and yet seemingly very accessable to fans, and each guy and their abilities and how they play the game, good for the game and growing it.

It's weird, but I really see Bubba, Ben Crane, Hunter and Ricky's viral videos really expanding the market of golf and the player base. These videos are all over the net, show the human, funny side of the players, and actually make them more like you or I.

At the end of the Master's, I saw a fan dressed head to toe in Ricky Orange, and that is even more common day in and day out. Travis Mathews came from no where to being all over Golf Galaxy and TGW and the players. The climate of golf is changing, which is good, it was getting old and stale, so here is the growth opportunity the PGA has been looking for, let's see if they can take advantage of this.

I also would like to patient the term "The Bubba Effect" because I think we are really going to be seeing this going forward.

I think if I were to pick a potential winner who would grow the game the most it would be Ricky. Everyone loves Bubba, and he's my son's favorite player, but I don't see him having a huge impression outside of golfing circles. Ricky on the other hand is all about style and the motorcross just adds more cool points so he can connect with pretty much all teenagers out there.

That said, I don't think Ricky has the game to win a major, but I do think he would have had more impact than Bubba.

• SPY VIP

For the Bubba Effect to take hold he needs to keep winning, or at the very least be in the mix week after week. That's what's been great about Tiger, people tuned in because they wanted to see him win, it was expected. And of course when he didn't win, he was almost always on TV on Sunday.

The other aspect of why Tiger has been infinitely watchable is that he's capable of doing things with the golf ball that most of us simply can't. We enjoy watching because what he does is other-worldly. The same is true of Phil Mickelson when he's in sniffing range of the green. And it's absolutely true of Bubba Watson anywhere on the golf course. The guy can hit any shot that's ever been conceived and I'm certain, he can hit others that don't even exist yet. That coupled with the fact that he plays his way in and out of trouble (almost artfully), and that he wears his emotions on his proverbial sleeve (without being a d-bag) gives him the potential to be as exciting to watch as a pre-Perkins Tiger.

I love Hunter Mahan's game, but he's boring as hell. Very workman like...textbook, but doesn't show a lot of creativity. He seems calculating, and while that's part of why he's so consistent, it's not particularly compelling.

Rickie Fowler is an interesting case. If not for the whole PUMA thing, I don't think most of us would know who he is. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great kid, and is absolutely good for the game - and his appeal absolutely has the potential to help grow the game, BUT... when was the last time he won something of consequence? When was the last time he got 4 hours of coverage on a Sunday? Personalities are great too, but everything begins and ends with winning.

We keep hearing about how Tiger has been good for the game, and has helped grow the game. It's a good story, and financially speaking Tiger has been a tremendous asset to the tour, its sponsors, and Nike golf, BUT...he plays the game with almost 0 respect, and barely any tolerance for its fans (or patrons depending on what tournament you happen to be watching). His behavior has contributed to a generation of golfers who believe that throwing clubs and screaming expletives are an acceptable, almost necessary part of the game.

One of the selling points of golf for me was that it is a gentlemen's game. I took it up in part to learn how to be a gentleman. Perhaps I'm over-valuing it, but it's an aspect of the game that has been largely lost by the Tiger generation. Hopefully whomever is ultimately revealed as the new face of golf will bring some of that back.

The name Bubba is good for the game. I mean based on name, who would you rather root for, Davis Love III or Charles Howell III or Bubba.

You only run into a problem when you have Bubba vs Boo. Now who do you choose.

Throw in a resurrected Bobby Charles or a Bruce Crampton and that'd be a lot of alliteration for anxious anchors and analysts.

Tiger sure has lost his hubris - and I gotta believe once that self-doubt takes up root between the ears it's awfully hard to get out.

Agree with the assessment of Hunter Mahan - boringly consistent. Ricky's still VERY young (what, 23 or so?) and needs to win something. Rory's young, too, but he's built up some substantial cred with the Open. I think the Bubba Effect is a lot like Arnie's Army -- Arnie and Bubba share that go for broke style and hit everything like it owes him money. Bubba seems to genuinely respond to the fans (something Tiger seemingly never understood) and seems to be a genuinely nice guy, like Arnie. Bubba's got that same charisma.

And buying the General Lee just because he could is way, way cool...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That stupid video may be featuring four golfers who have a huge impact on the PGA in the next couple of years. Hunter and Bubba have wins this year and several over the last couple of years. Now Bubba has a major, and Hunter has a WGC. Ben Crane has more regular wins than these two, and Rickie is second in talent only to Bubba and won at the end of last year in Korea. Bubba has taken a bad wrap about being mentally tough enough to win. 3 of his 4 wins are in playoffs, and he lost a playoff in the PGA Championship.

The way the other three came out and supported Bubba in the playoff was impressive. It was like they were almost a team. This attitiude could really work to all their advantages. Mutual support from people who have been in that position and may very well be in that position next week is huge. That has to have a calming effect to go to dinner on Saturday Night with friends that understand what you are going through and are in it with you.

All of these guys are showing style in their dress that will appeal to younger fans. The all white with pink accents Bubba wore was somewhat muted by the caddie's attire at the Masters but any other tournament it would stand out. We all know about Rickie, and Hunter and Ben have both started showing more colors, but are still being themselves.

But to me, them being on the green seconds after the putt dropped is something that you usually see in Ryder or President Cup matches, I did not notice is at the Shell Open but I recall them hanging around the Match Play event and congradulating Hunter.

I think these four may be a bigger deal than Rory.

RP and Rick, I can not agree more!!

Rick, I kind of like to see and think of the 4 guys as the new Rat Pack of golf. they could enthrall and thrill a lot of people outside of golf just by hanging out, having fun, supporting each other, making more videos, show their fun everyday person appeal to everyone.

I could put a marketing concept together and run with it for years. Yes they do have to win, but do any of truely think they won't continue to win and Ricky won't get his first? Yes, Ricky's Puma deal is just perfect, really pushes golf into outside the golf markets.

Folks take note, I think golf is entering in a new era..if we can just get Dustin Johnson hanging out with them, I think it would be the end all be all.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

RP and Rick, I can not agree more!!

Rick, I kind of like to see and think of the 4 guys as the new Rat Pack of golf. they could enthrall and thrill a lot of people outside of golf just by hanging out, having fun, supporting each other, making more videos, show their fun everyday person appeal to everyone.

I could put a marketing concept together and run with it for years. Yes they do have to win, but do any of truely think they won't continue to win and Ricky won't get his first? Yes, Ricky's Puma deal is just perfect, really pushes golf into outside the golf markets.

Folks take note, I think golf is entering in a new era..if we can just get Dustin Johnson hanging out with them, I think it would be the end all be all.

The problem with the Rat Pack is their videos are pretty much run of the mill YouTube stuff. The only reason they're popular is they're pro golfers. For me, the videos make no difference in what I think of them.

Plus, past history indicates that Bubba won't keep winning. Hunter has the best chance of them to win on a regular basis because he's playing smart golf. The problem, as others have said, is it's boring. Kind of like Rory's last round at the Honda Classic, it was pretty boring, but it worked.

The difference with Tiger, and I'm paraphrasing T again, is he is able to win with style and without looking conservative.

How many times has Phil won with his all or nothing approach? Same will go for Bubba

Bubba could get to Phil levels and he has the charisma to do it, but he's not there just yet in his game. Maybe he needs a coach? :)

As an aside, I'm surprised no one has brought up the horrid mess Phil made of #4 at Augusta. I was screaming at him not to try, but at the same time hoping he could pull it off!

I really enjoyed reading all of the comments here about Bubba Watson. I was so happy for him to win, but honestly, I wasn't thinking he was going to win at the start of the week because of his putting woes earlier this season. I don't do nearly the kind of research others do when putting together my fantasty golf teams, but one thing that stuck out was that Bubba was hitting tons of greens but wasn't really scoring or winning, so you knew it had to be the putter. We saw a little of that at the Masters, but he really did play some solid golf and have a pretty solid putter (with a few hiccups of course).

Bubba seems totally authentic to me and I hope he is able to continue to be the person he wants to be not what others think he should be.

Here's hoping for lots of continued success!

I ran across this on the internet and had to share it. Even if it is a week old now.

c0413bubba.jpg

I ran across this on the internet and had to share it. Even if it is a week old now.

c0413bubba.jpg

Need a "like" button, just like Facebook :lol:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You need a Golf Hero to make Golf grow. A golf hero is someone you want to watch regardless that you know nothing about him. You end up wanting to know more about him after the fact but for initial and attractive purposes, he needs to be doing something in the arena that attracts your interest and attention. So ask yourself, what do you want to be watching when you watch Golf and which golfer is giving you that thing you and a whole lot of people are looking for ?

Frankly, so far, it isn't Bubba though he does have his moments. Right now nobody seems able to fill the bill so we stay with the current hero, hoping ro once again see what he showed us so man times before.

Shambles

I think Bubba is growing into that golf Hero. Tiger's hero status was born over night, and it seems he lost it over that fateful night also. Bubba needs to grow into, and I think he will.

His putter is ever hot, he can win any tournament.

Is there anyone else out there you think that can step up and be a Golf hero, and help grow the game, will we ever have a Arnie vs Jack, or a Tiger vs Phil?

Could it be Rory (not US) vs Bubba (US) and bringing an international rivalry?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I think Bubba is growing into that golf Hero. Tiger's hero status was born over night, and it seems he lost it over that fateful night also. Bubba needs to grow into, and I think he will.

His putter is ever hot, he can win any tournament.

Is there anyone else out there you think that can step up and be a Golf hero, and help grow the game, will we ever have a Arnie vs Jack, or a Tiger vs Phil?

Could it be Rory (not US) vs Bubba (US) and bringing an international rivalry?

If a new hero made an appearance, he would be so obvious there would be no argument.

What I see is a flock of pretenders that, as a group, will be entertaining and worth the watch while we wait for the next dominant. In the meantime, the old hero is still around and we can watch the drama of his struggle to regain the magic. It really is magic because he does the same things that so many others do, but just that little bit better, more often and more reliably. It's why we watch.

In a recent pro event at my home course, I watched a local pro attack my home course mercilessly for four days. He was certainly worth the follow and the fact that his opponents also showed what could be done to a golf ball made the invasion of my playground worth the inconvenience. It was not worth TV time but certainly taught me much and gave me new goals. A new hero will give that same excitement on TV. Arnie gave such excitement that TV came to the Golf course, and Jack carried what Arnie started even further. We had to wait for a while as Jack waned and Tiger spent a few years growing old enough. We had to be patient as writers desperately tried to foist new heroes with poor records every other week.

Media has grown and developed to such an extent that we can see more of who is growing these days. We can talk to people we have never met and hear what they have seen. The writers will have to work hard to find their place in the new medium. Life continues to be exciting even gor those of us who have reached a time wherein watching is the more common activity. These days sure give old men a much better alternative to the front porch and the picture window. Somebody is growing amongst the amateurs and the young pros. If we are lucky, we will see a bit of the new dominant as he grows.

Shambles

He has a lot of room to grow, and a very creative mind, which makes for exciting golf.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Just a crazy thought I had....

It would be out of this world if a woman won The Masters.

Are they even allowed to play at Augusta? I know they don't accept women as members but I don't remember if professional LPGA players can play there.

I think that will be great for the game of Golf or an Amateur winning the Masters. Just my 2 cents.

- Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

I for one will always love hearing about how Tiger is doing and am always hoping to see him perform well, but at the same time, I'd rather see Bubba win anyday.

Bubba is one of the few pros I could see spending a day with outside of the golf course and having a fun time.

If I were to spend a day with Tiger, I have a feeling it would be like walking on egg shells, and kinda stuffy. I don't imagine Tiger knows how to have fun.

I think Bubba is VERY good for the game if we're looking to take it past the stuffy "thing" it has been/is.

For someone with Bubba's personality to win the Masters is HUGE and I hope he keeps winning and carrying his personality through the game.

Archived