Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are Golfers Finally Starting to Balk At Driver Prices?

It is a difficult question, and a good one Rob.  I guess the prices may be getting close to the area that would limit the "driver a year" (or more in your case Rob...haha).  mindset the golf buying public have been operating under for the past several years.  If sales volume is down... that could indicate a price threshold reached... or it could be a more educated golf buying market that realizes that the gains from from one year to the next, or one model to the next may not be work the investment... 

Personally, I like shiny and new, but I would agree the cost is getting to the point that I might pull back on my budget to every other year, rather than every year.  

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I guess I will answer your question with another question or kinda statement.

Do you think the customers you have who likely have been fit before are knowledgeable enough that they feel there is better value in buying last year's release at what would be half the price? 

More golfers are being fit, more golfers are getting more knowledge and maybe this in turn is leading to "smarter" purchases. Or more value purchases knowing they can get 95+% of the performance at 50% of the price. 

we had a similar thought APH!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Do you think the customers you have who likely have been fit before are knowledgeable enough that they feel there is better value in buying last year's release at what would be half the price? 

More golfers are being fit, more golfers are getting more knowledge and maybe this in turn is leading to "smarter" purchases. Or more value purchases knowing they can get 95+% of the performance at 50% of the price. 

I agree entirely. I recently purchased a G425 LST when the G430 came out and paid a lot less. After hitting both and seeing minimal difference in distance and dispersion it was a no brainer!

Play like a champion today!

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Some places that might be the case 

But I don’t think so for our course.  We are a public muni and while we offer fitting capabilities with qualified staff.  Our customers are largely buy what I see on TV.   Yes. Your player influence is a real thing.  Maybe not to informed forum members but to the general buying public. Absoultly so. 

There are less people along me aboit the new Paradym or new stelath.  I do think part of it is the Stealth2 affect.  Last year it was new and radical.  This year many think it’s just version 2 of the same thing. 

Maybe if a Rahm wins AGAIN today for the 3rd time with the Paradym maybe we’ll get a bit of a rush. 
But I think it is the price effect making people think this year more than before 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Solid points. I believe that it is a combination of both price and knowledge. Everyone has their limits when it comes to prices. I heard a lot of balking at prices when they hit $500. Seeing some of them hit $700+ definitely has to limit the market. That being said, manufacturers may not sell a ton of the highest prices driver but they probably do sell enough to justify it. My guess would be that most people who are looking at a new driver are staying in that $500ish range with the stock shafts.

As for the knowledge aspect, I feel that a lot of players have realized that a new driver every season may not be an improvement for their game so maybe buying a new driver every two or three seasons makes more sense. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I’m probably a prime example of a fool and his money are soon parted as my current setup Srixon ZX5 MKII LS and autoflex shaft  is pushing the grand mark and I’m still gonna try the Paradym/Wilson/Mizuno. 

As for the price going up, I see the bigger problem being how much the discount becomes when buying last years. Right now secondhand driver heads from last year land around $300 depending on condition. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the used market price start to rise instead of new prices coming down if the oems aren’t selling as much as they think they should. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

High inflation would be playing a role as well. If you're looking to cut spending from your budget, not buying new golf clubs is an easy one.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

26 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

because I know how fast they depreciate. I can go on global golf and get last year’s model for a significant savings in really good condition for a fraction of the cost. The logical thinker in me has a hard time looking past that. 

+1 on this.

I have been buying previous model year equipment for over 20 years. Saved tons of money that way. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Are Golfers Finally Starting to Balk At Driver Prices?

I think MGS did a survey on this, but I also wonder how often many are looking at replacing a driver. With last year being a good year for drivers and TSR getting a ton of hype and being well recognized, maybe it is also a factor of just not needing one because last year the larger purchase was made?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I would like to buy a new driver but will not be getting the most current one on the market. I will be shopping for last years models and save some money.  I remember when drivers hit the $250 price and everyone thought it was bad.  Now they are $500 to $600??? I might have to take up bowling.   

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I purchased a G410 in 2020 for $399. That is my limit! And, I will be playing this driver for quite a few years. I am not one to be buying drivers every, or even every other year. My last driver, a Diablo Octane, I played for 10+ years. Not a club ho, as I try to make an informed purchase, and then stick with it. $600+ is kind of getting into stupid money territory fo me. Don't really care what the pros are playing...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I don't see anything to tempt me into buying a new driver. I'm fine with my 2 year old driver with an after market shaft. The new shaft was about 1/4 of the cost of a new driver.

I believe that the industry has reached neasr peak level of limitations and new claims are so minimal that the cost does not justify any results which are probably also minimal.

I'm in this exact dilemma right now.  I'm a little wild off the tee (who isn't) and wouldn't mind seeing what's out there.  On the other hand my Radspeed driver is only 2 years old and there's a very low probability that any of the new drivers will be a significant improvement over it.  I can guarantee if drivers were a little cheaper I would be all over a new one.  Looking at $600+ for a 2023 model ($850 for a Paradym with "stock" Ventus shaft) has me reluctant to even demo anything for fear of falling in love with something new.

I do have some shop credit though so I'm sure I'll find a way to justify hitting up some demos once the snow melts.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

The prices are crazy. Most of the time when you get a handicapper like me around 16, It's the archer not the bow. I will be 66 in September and I think I need to be fitted, because my swing and speed have changed. I'm still searching for that magic club and it's just not there. I want the new Paradym, but I will go by what the fitter tells me at my local CC.He's the type that will tell you to keep what you got if there is minimal difference. I think it is time for me to go to a senior shaft, but we will see.

Taylor Made Stealth 2  Driver with ACCURA Senior flex, 42.5 grams

Ping G415 3 Wood

Callaway Epic 5 Wood

Ping G415 22* Hybrid

Sub70 699 irons

Aerotech Steel Fiber I70 graphite shafts an NO1 50 grips

Sub70 286 Forged wedges 54* and 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X putter with oversized Sweet Rollz grip

True Pro Lux and True Links Knit shoes

In addition to the question as to whether Drivers are beginning to hit a pricing wall, we should also look into whether putters are or may soon do the same thing as a slow "flood" of Putters are now approaching the $ 500 price tag and far exceeding it with an exotic "putter specific" shaft.  Former premium price tag OEMs like PXG and Scotty Cameron......no longer are.   Not sure how long this will be sustainable for the flat sticks.  Will be interesting to see, that is for damn sure.  And I post this recognizing there will always be "boutique" putter companies that test the boundaries of price elasticity for a specific market of club afficionados.    

Not just because I play them but I wonder how disruptive PXG has been.  During the Genesis they were advertising drivers at $199 again.  They always have some sort of deal on their stuff. Because they are private we may never know how much of a market disruptor they are.  But at my club im seeing more and more PXG headcovers.

Second point.  Once you have been fitted 5 or 6 times as I have, you just know.  I swing at 90 MPH.  Once you know a little about soft tip versus firm tip, shaft weight, etc. You can gamble on fitting yourself.  I'm not tooting PXG's horn but they will walk you through the rest on the phone.  Worked for me on a driver, two fairway woods and two wedges.

The same mentality can be applied to any club manufacturer and versus $600+ it's worth a roll of the dice especially if you go to a place like Dick's and hit a few models.

Edited by 6 Million Dollar Man

:cobra-small:  LTDx Drive

:cobra-small:  LTDx 3, 5 & 7 Fairway Metals

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

:PXG:0311 Wedges--56° & 60°

:PXG: Blade Putter

:maxfli: Tour Golf Ball

I think most golfers are becoming more aware of “slick” marketing as a way for OEMs to continue to gouge their customer base for ridiculous profits.  Every year, religiously, they all come out with “the greatest driver ever made!”; until next year, and all that hype was just crap. THIS YEAR’S model is now the greatest!  Folks, the technology just doesn’t evolve that quickly!

Let’s face it, just because John Rahm can hit the snot out of the ball with his new Paradym doesn’t mean we all can! If you spray your tee shot invest $150 with a local pro and fix your swing. It’ll feel like a “Jailbreak!” 
🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, burnsie said:

I think most golfers are becoming more aware of “slick” marketing as a way for OEMs to continue to gouge their customer base for ridiculous profits.  Every year, religiously, they all come out with “the greatest driver ever made!”; until next year, and all that hype was just crap. THIS YEAR’S model is now the greatest!  Folks, the technology just doesn’t evolve that quickly!

Let’s face it, just because John Rahm can hit the snot out of the ball with his new Paradym doesn’t mean we all can! If you spray your tee shot invest $150 with a local pro and fix your swing. It’ll feel like a “Jailbreak!” 
🤣🤣

Hate to break the news to you, but this happens in every industry 

TVs, cars, phones, etc

Yet internet golfers are the only once’s that whine about it incessantly

If you don’t need a new driver, don’t buy one. If someone has the money to buy new clubs whenever they want, then more power to them. 

13 minutes ago, 6 Million Dollar Man said:

Not just because I play them but I wonder how disruptive PXG has been.  During the Genesis they were advertising drivers at $199 again.  They always have some sort of deal on their stuff. Because they are private we may never know how much of a market disruptor they are.  But at my club im seeing more and more PXG headcovers.

Second point.  Once you have been fitted 5 or 6 times as I have, you just know.  I swing at 90 MPH.  Once you know a little about soft tip versus firm tip, shaft weight, etc. You can gamble on fitting yourself.  I'm not tooting PXG's horn but they will walk you through the rest on the phone.  Worked for me on a driver, two fairway woods and two wedges.

The same mentality can be applied to any club manufacturer and versus $600+ it's worth a roll of the dice especially if you go to a place like Dick's and hit a few models.

16 minutes ago, 6 Million Dollar Man said:

During the Genesis they were advertising drivers at $199 again.

If I’m not mistaken, these clubs are the 2021  0211 drivers. If you go on their website now you’ll find they’re all sold out!  A great driver at a great price! What a novel idea!! 😂

R580xd came out 20 years ago with a $500 pricetag. I'd say driver prices have remained fairly unchanged since. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I think it is a combination of things. I can think of three.

1) prices are too high

2) customers are more educated

3) COVID. Let me explain. Golf demand always goes through up and down cycles. When COVID hit, and golf was one of the only exercise one could get outside that was acceptable given the almost automatic social distancing, demand went through the roof. Now that the world is getting close to equilibrium, people are no longer playing golf because there are other things to do. So because of the world getting into a COVID equilibrium, demand is going way down.

my $0.02

Mitchell Heller            

All lefty

Taylormade Stealth Plus - KBS TD 50 gram Regular flex. Sometimes Autoflex 405

Taylormade Stealth 3HL Fairway wood - Ventus Red Regular flex

Taylormade Stealth 4 and 5 hybrid Ventus Red Regular Flex

PXG 28 degree hybrid KBS TGI 70 Regular flex

Taylormade P790 6,7,8,9,P 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex

Taylormade MG3 50  and 54 degree 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex          Taylormade MG 60 degree - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Shaft

LAB MEZZ 1 putter

OnCore ELIXR 2020

15 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Where are you seeing last year’s at half the price?

THAT is one of the biggest issues for me, in that I used to lag a year behind for the very reasons you cite, and indeed the savings on the outgoing model were substantial…

I’m finding in the past few years (at least here in Canada) the price drops for older models are no where near 50% - More likely 25-30% max. Even 2 year old models aren’t even hitting the half off mark.

Hence, my thinking is why not get the latest version as the savings don’t justify me waiting…

It is getting ridiculous however, I just dropped $2K CAN on Saturday for 3 clubs LOL!!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

It's February. 

What's this years sales trends vs last years at this point in time? You've got a good portion of the US that isn't able to golf right now, so why would they rush out to buy a driver they can't really use for another few months? 

Feels like this subject is a trend every single release season. "They're too expensive!" "Marketing lies!!" and then at the end of the year the big OEMs announce massive revenue for the year. So obviously people are buying.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

40 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Hate to break the news to you, but this happens in every industry 

TVs, cars, phones, etc

Yet internet golfers are the only once’s that whine about it incessantly

If you don’t need a new driver, don’t buy one. If someone has the money to buy new clubs whenever they want, then more power to them. 

This right here. 

Guitar manufacturers come out with new models every year. The Strat and the Les Paul are pretty much the same design as they were when they were introduced. Sure, different woods now and the electronics are better, but I have never once in my life heard a musician exclaim that they bought an instrument last year and dammit they should have waited because THIS year's model blah blah blah. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I would agree with others that it's a combination that prices are too high, consumers are more educated and they've become less influenced by the faux claims of longer/straighter every year. While I've liked the looks of a number of new drivers the last few years I stopped chasing them thinking I was going to be bombing it past my previous model. All that being said, people are still buying they latest and greatest. Last night while taking my trash can to the curb a neighbor was walking his dog and I asked "what's new?" He proceeded to tell me he just ordered the new TItleist driver for $600 without ever hitting it!😮

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18