Are Golfers Finally Starting to Balk At Driver Prices?

I’m certainly non the camp of those thinking $600 is too high for an “off the rack” driver. I’ll pay that much after getting fitted and if I get a shaft upgrade but it’s really hard to justify anything over $400 if it’s off the rack. 

Driver:  pxg.jpeg.a1ab12ad1fb8e76342a5f1c6828f0433.jpegGen 5, Ventus Blue Shaft - S

4 Wood: image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.png.4c7e2187cf1934b0e4eb44ce83a4f9cc.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - S

Driving Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli High 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S

Irons: Mizuno mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.pngJPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png52, 56, 60

Putter: bettinardi.jpeg.74117d90d92c7ea2613e68cbea531076.jpeg BB1, 34"

Preferred Ball: 2023 Mizuno RB Tour

I’m sure someone has mentioned this already, but I’m on a 2-3 year “after market” cycle. What I mean is, I end up fitting into an expensive, after market shaft for driver and woods. Sometimes as expensive as an off the rack head and shaft from a retailer. So I keep my after market shaft for 2-3 years and keep buying 2nd hand or season old heads from eBay. Can’t wait to snag an Aerojet LS around xmas to replace my LTDx LS head. Same goes for my wife, she’ll snag a cheap stealth head to replace her sim2. But would I buy a full price new driver? Not a until there’s no such thing as a “made for” shaft.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

2 minutes ago, Micah T said:

But would buy a full price new driver? Not a until there’s no such thing as a “made for” shaft.

... That just isn't going to happen. Made For's fit many more average golfers buying off the rack than a premium after market shaft. OEM's figure better players are gonna play a shaft that fits their swing and that could be a Ventus Black Velocore for you or an AD-IZ for me which are both awesome shafts but fit two radically different players. 

Driver:     :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 10.5* ... Kai'li BlueR
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 5 & 7 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :cobra-small: KING Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70R
Irons:       :cobra-small: King Tour 4-Pw ... Recoil 95R
Wedges:  :cobra-small: Snakebite 51* & 58* ... Recoil 95R
Putter:     :cobra-small: King Sport-60
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '23

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... That just isn't going to happen. Made For's fit many more average golfers buying off the rack than a premium after market shaft. OEM's figure better players are gonna play a shaft that fits their swing and that could be a Ventus Black Velocore for you or an AD-IZ for me which are both awesome shafts but fit two radically different players. 

Yeah and I totally get the numbers game the OEM’s play: they just won’t get my money for anything that is still full price.

I actually operate the exact same way for my 2nd love, snowboarding: tent sales in august before OEM’s drop new gear force retailers to liquidate everything from the season before. Hard goods, soft goods, you name it.

Ebay remains the superior alternative market for used/prior gen clubs: as long as you buy from a reputable seller with a return policy.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

31 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Yeah and I totally get the numbers game the OEM’s play: they just won’t get my money for anything that is still full price.

I actually operate the exact same way for my 2nd love, snowboarding: tent sales in august before OEM’s drop new gear force retailers to liquidate everything from the season before. Hard goods, soft goods, you name it.

Ebay remains the superior alternative market for used/prior gen clubs: as long as you buy from a reputable seller with a return policy.

... I hear ya and waiting a year or more makes perfect sense. At age 69 I am fighting a losing battle but fighting none the less and I only have so many "I'll buy next years model" left before my distance falls to where clubs/shafts won't make that much difference. So if something blows me away when released I will purchase it, but that very rarely happens. 

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I hear ya and waiting a year or more makes perfect sense. At age 69 I am fighting a losing battle but fighting none the less and I only have so many "I'll buy next years model" left before my distance falls to where clubs/shafts won't make that much difference. So if something blows me away when released I will purchase it, but that very rarely happens. 

Reading your post on the heels of a dozen others and the age range a bell.  I am 70.  Other posters have added ages or playing partner ages up to their 80's.  New club cost aside, I have not seen many off the shelf new models that are geared to senior golfers.  (I'm looking at you TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, etc., of the golfing world).  Everything on the floor is R or S flex.  No A or R1 flex for slower swing speeds.  That falls into a custom club that may or may not incur a charge to get depending on store.  These I can only find on the mfg site or something like eBay or through a fitter.  I can't just walk in and walk out with something new, even if I were willing to pay $400+.  Casual golf buying is geared to the younger crowd!

GPS111

11 minutes ago, GPS111 said:

Reading your post on the heels of a dozen others and the age range a bell.  I am 70.  Other posters have added ages or playing partner ages up to their 80's.  New club cost aside, I have not seen many off the shelf new models that are geared to senior golfers.  (I'm looking at you TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, etc., of the golfing world).  Everything on the floor is R or S flex.  No A or R1 flex for slower swing speeds.  That falls into a custom club that may or may not incur a charge to get depending on store.  These I can only find on the mfg site or something like eBay or through a fitter.  I can't just walk in and walk out with something new, even if I were willing to pay $400+.  Casual golf buying is geared to the younger crowd!

... Well that sucks but I guess it depends on where you can shop. My local PGA SS has plenty of senior options in most every club category. My local Golf Galaxy has a Senior club section. I am still between an R and S flex so senior clubs are not on my radar, but I am glad they will be available when I do need them. 

41 minutes ago, GPS111 said:

At my area GolfGalaxy store, it’s just the opposite. Although there are lots of S-flex options (and a small number of X-flex), there are far more high-lofted (12* and 12.5*} drivers with A-flex shafts than there options with R-flex shafts.  

I am not in the market for another new driver (I already had too many, and I won a Mizuno ST-X driver on Saturday at a charity event). However, I had to pick up some supplies at the local GolfGalaxy store yesterday, so I checked out the new 2023 models that they had in stock (not just drivers; irons, fairways and hybrids — putters, too). There were fewer R-flex drivers available than those with A-flex shafts, especially in the Ping and Callaway models that they had on-hand. Perhaps the R-flex drivers have been selling faster since their arrival, but the selection of drivers with both A-flex and S-flex shafts far outnumbered those with R-flex shafts, especially in the Ping G430 models.

Just for fun, I went into the club fitting area and hit some of the new Callaway Paradym demo drivers vs the Rogue ST Max demos that the store is offering on sale for $349 (same shaft, flex weight and length). I found that I got comparable results from the Rogue ST Max as I did with any version of the Paradym, and my spin numbers were as good with the Rogue ST Max as they were with the Paradym models (my spin numbers with the Paradym Triple Diamond were too low for my low 90s MPH clubhead speed at about 240 RPM lower than even the Rogue ST Triple Diamond driver). Of the 5 different Rogue ST and Paradym drivers that I hit, I got my best, and most consistent, results with the Rogue ST Max. If I were in the market for a “new” driver, I would buy the Rogue ST Max demo with a 9* loft and the Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 55R shaft that I hit yesterday and save myself $250.

Edited by funkyjudge

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics E722, Ventus TR Blue 6R, tipped 1/2"

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Titleist TSi3, 18* set to 19.5* loft; Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 7S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Sub 70 949X 24* 5-hybrid (and matching 18*, when I don't play the TSi3 FW wood) - both with HZRDUS Black 85 6.0 shafts

Irons: Cobra King Forged Tec X 6-PW, KBS TGI Tour 75 (custom firm flex) shafts

Wedges: Edison Forged 49*, 54* and 59* with KBS TGI 90/100 shafts

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: PXG XTREME or OnCore Vero X1

Spoiler

Performance gains will always be minor from one year to the next, if you didn't buy a driver in say 8-10  years then spend the money ONE time again (or, pick  up last years version used).  I do believe that a fitting is a great service and you should really consider that. The type of shaft and how the loft/lie variations and those different permutations together are a big deal that an expert fitter will be able to unlock for  you.  Then the $ for the club every 8-10 years starts to make sense.   One reason I prefer PING is they are not an OEM that comes out with a new driver or set of irons every year or sometimes the OEM's seem every 6 months.  So yes for me the $500-600 is too much given the almost zero game improvement for me from the club I bought 2 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Micah T said:

Agree EBay is a great place to pickup what you’re looking for but left handed is a challenge.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 2/22/2023 at 11:23 AM, DukeStKing said:

I, for one, could not pull the trigger on the new $600 Paradym when I could get a Rogue Max on CPO for $350 (like new). Is 15% better dispersion really worth almost $300? For some the answer may be yes and I may regret my decision, but I can then pick up the Paradym on CPO in a year or more. 

I feel so dirty… I ended up pulling the trigger on the Paradym. My Rogue experiment lasted one fitting session at PGA SS. The spin was way down with the Paradym and the misses were much better. The ball speed was better too- i was carrying the ball 10 yards farther with the Paradym. If I settled for the Rogue, this session would be in my head  all season. I tried, but I gave in. 

Edited by DukeStKing
Copied too many times

Driver: Ping 425 Max; Rogue White 70

3 Wood: Ping 410; Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Titleist 53 degree, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Odyssey 10 Tour Lined; Seemore Z2

Just my two cents re: the original question.  New drivers have become too expensive for me.  For that matter, so have almost all clubs from the major OEMs.  In years past, I was a major club ho.  I can't come close to remembering how many sets of irons and drivers I've bought over the years.  I'm now retired and can't justify the expenditure.  I think a question for the OEMs is whether club ho's make up a significant portion of their business. 

Another issue is the cost for entry to the sport.  As older players leave the game because of infirmity or death, how many young people will be able to afford a new set of clubs?  The DTC companies have great products but how many  beginning golfers are aware of them?  How many new players will walk into a golf store looking to upgrade the old hand me down set they've been using and walk out without buying because of the prices?

I'll take the opportunity to gripe about another issue of golf club pricing.  As my swing speed slowly moves toward zero, I need more fairway woods and hybrids, yet those clubs are typically 2 to 3 times as expensive as single irons.  The result is I have to pay more for clubs that work with my game than a younger, faster player does.  As the saying goes, getting old ain't for sissies.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max

Callaway Epic Max 3 wood

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0211ST 6-GW

Cobra LTx 5-GW (never hit the 5)

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 54

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

3 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I feel so dirty… I ended up pulling the trigger on the Paradym. My Rogue experiment lasted one fitting session at PGA SS. The spin was way down with the Paradym and the misses were much better. The ball speed was better too- i was carrying the ball 10 yards farther with the Paradym. If I settled for the Rogue, this session would be in my head    all season. I tried, but I gave in. 

I feel so dirty… I ended up pulling the trigger on the Paradym. My Rogue experiment lasted one fitting session at PGA SS. The spin was way down with the Paradym and the misses were much better. The ball speed was better too- i was carrying the ball 10 yards farther with the Paradym. If I settled for the Rogue, this session would be in my head    all season. I tried, but I gave in. 

Hope it works out for you.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I just went to tgw and picked out a nearly full set of clubs.  I chose all Cobra because they typically are slightly less expensive than other OEMs.  A driver, fairway wood, hybrid, set of steel shafted irons, sand wedge and putter came to over $2500 before tax.  That's for 12 new clubs at typical pricing.  I didn't include a bag or shoes.  Maybe there are more than enough customers for OEMs to thrive with that kind of pricing.  I dunno.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max

Callaway Epic Max 3 wood

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0211ST 6-GW

Cobra LTx 5-GW (never hit the 5)

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 54

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

30 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Another issue is the cost for entry to the sport.  As older players leave the game because of infirmity or death, how many young people will be able to afford a new set of clubs? 

Plenty of golfers will be able to afford clubs, because they'll go the used market. 

People get concerned over the rising cost of golf clubs and what that means to the game, but the secondary market is only going to grow stronger. Someone who wants to get into the game can do so for very little money. There will always be people who want the latest and greatest, and they'll continue to drive new sales. However with so many different ways to get used clubs at a fraction of new costs (Online retailers like CPO or GlobalGolf, eBay, FB Marketplace, etc) the price of clubs isn't the barrier it's made out to be.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

Agree EBay is a great place to pickup what you’re looking for but left handed is a challenge.

I hear ya: my wife’s a 6’1 lefty which makes her tough to fit.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

11 hours ago, chisag said:

Totally agree, I too can be swayed on occasion. Probably not on a driver(see previous post), but I did swoon for my i59’s. And I know plenty of people who balked at that price. But they came out when I was already looking, and once at the fitting, they didn’t deter me from pulling the trigger. Timing is everything, right?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

I didn't real all 8 pages of comments but the slowdown in sales is likely a more macroeconomic issue than anything else. Yes, pricing is painful but I think it's also important to compare current sales to 2019 as well relative to the number of golfers, not total dollar amount. The pandemic was a major boon for golf so comparing current sales to the last two years is kind of unrealistic. People are slowly returning to "normal" meaning they are spending money on other things like travel and eating out. There were certainly also a ton of sales to golfers the last two years that would never have been as serious about golf if it wasn't for the pandemic. We are all also spending more money due to inflation on things like insurance and utilities. The operating cost for my "average" midwestern ranch house has easily increased in cost equivalent to three or four new drivers today from just two years ago. That's money getting shoveled into the fire to never be seen again.

Throw in slow downs in wage increases, reductions in bonuses, and some layoffs as businesses are a little less worried about the labor market and you get a recipe for lower sales across the board. Everything peaked in 2021 through early 2022 and maintaining for nearly every industry has been tough. The general population can feel the economic pressures and everyone will change their buying habits. Golf is far and away one of the easiest costs to control. 

What I'm really curious of is when course memberships and green fees start regressing back to the mean. They should remain elevated for a long time and hopefully the boost in golfers helps the game long-term but I think we have some room to fall in the short-term. I was about to rejoin a private course a couple weeks ago but when I walked in I found out they raised their rates over 60%. I walked right back out. They were having a members meeting about it later that week that I need to find out how it went because rumor was that it was going to be HOT! This course is owned by a large company in the Midwest and if you are from the Midwest, you probably know which company I'm referring to. 

So yeah, there are several macroeconomic factors along with the general inflation in golf costs that aren't equipment related. Plus, golf inflation relative to most other hobbies has been incredible. Imagine if a bowling ball was $600+. The most expensive bowling ball on Bowling.com was $215. Pool cues can cost a lot but they generally can last decades. Pool players complain about spending $20 on a cue tip that lasts six months yet golfers will blow through $20 in balls in a couple rounds. Anyone who tries to argue golf isn't a luxury sport is fooling themselves. I'm thankful that I grew up playing golf and still get to even if it's not at a private club. Compare golf to non sport hobbies like woodworking and think of what tools you could buy for $600.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:47 AM, Bucky CC said:

I'm in this exact dilemma right now.  I'm a little wild off the tee (who isn't) and wouldn't mind seeing what's out there.  On the other hand my Radspeed driver is only 2 years old and there's a very low probability that any of the new drivers will be a significant improvement over it.  I can guarantee if drivers were a little cheaper I would be all over a new one.  Looking at $600+ for a 2023 model ($850 for a Paradym with "stock" Ventus shaft) has me reluctant to even demo anything for fear of falling in love with something new.

I do have some shop credit though so I'm sure I'll find a way to justify hitting up some demos once the snow melts.

Maybe go get a swing evaluation, as it might help with the wildness off the tee. I am doing this in March, just to see if there is some small tweak to help me find the fairway, and greens more often. Not rebuilding my swing at 66, but a little correction to what I am doing. Just redid my bag in 2020-not buying anything for a few years down the road...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I don't know about balking at the cost of a new driver...I think the overall cost (if you go full fitting, and stick with the results) is a very large/hard pill to swallow.

I just went to Club Champion and had a full bag fitting. I am a 21 HC; my (simplified) results were:

Driver: Srixon ZX5 Mk II 9.5

Hybrids: TaylorMade Stealth 3-5

Irons: Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal 6-GW

PW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe MilledGrind 3

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 15 (Blade)

The Driver, Hybrids and Irons all had custom shafts (i.e. Fujikura Ventus Blue VELOCORE 6 s) -- my dispersion went from all over the fairway to tightly grouped on the middle/right. With all the bells and whistles, the total for a full bag came to $6K+!!!!

Now, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't bat an eye and I would have a new full bag. My first car cost 1/2 of the total bag (lol). Instead, I settled for buying the Irons and a Ventus shaft for my current driver (Callaway Rogue), which came out to approximately $2.5k -- more palatable, but still on the expensive side. I intend to pick up the other clubs at the end of the season when they get discounted, and I've built up my "for fun" bank account again.

Driver:                      Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Rogue 9.0° with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5-S

Fairway Wood:       Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Epic Flash Heavenwood 20° with Project X EvenFlow Green 65 Graphite (R)

Hybrids:                  TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  M4 4H/5H with KBS85R

Irons:                      Mizuno_SM.png.79ebc3bf5a5ec19aa06f2821a4124811.png  JPX 923 Hot Metal HL with Fujikura Pro 95 (S) - 6i thru GW

Wedges:                 TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  Hi-Toe 3 54° and 58°

Putter:                    Odyssey_SM.png.4e85ba988090a20cc755973ae2f75c8e.png  Stroke Lab Seven S Putter 34" w/  FlatCat_SM.png.5c2b89b42629f36382f02c3455ef1102.png Solution Fat grip

Ball:                         OnCore_SM.png.17951bcd1a597a2911ba64f199fd4f90.png  Vero X1

Rangefinder:          ShotScope_SM.png.fc9e258dd1dbf12bbf851cac7770916d.png  Pro LX+

Bag:                        Ogio_SM.png.0c28c8267d041ff62082aef4c42bb18a.png  Woode 8 Hybrid bag