Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

First tournament advice?

SeeRed

Hey all,

I've looked through the recent forum topics and didn't find this specific thread, which probably means I just missed it. Anyway, getting ready to play in my first ever "real" tournament this weekend. It's a four ball net qualifier on a challenging course and I want to do well. I know I will stick to my usual pre-round routine and all, but I also know I somehow need to keep my head straight and stay in the moment (as they say). There is a wealth of tournament experience among the members of this forum, so your tips and/or advice are most welcome. Thanks in advance!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Oooo, yeah, maybe not. I can just imagine the effects of trying something like that for the first time in that situation. Probably wouldn't be good. I will stick to my one cold, adult beverage at the turn though. Just doesn't help much on #1.

STX xForm 3, 35"

I would just remember that you are a 15 handicapper & your playing partners will not be shocked or look down their noses at you if your shot doesn't turn out like you had planned. use your shots wisely and remember EVERYONE in the tournament will ht poor shots.

Sp just focus on your game and enjoy yourself

Best of Luck

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Is this a tourney where you are allowed a caddy? My cousin caddys for me during qualifying rounds and he keeps me very calm; he puts a positive thought in my mind, before every swing. Besides being a hell of a golfer, he's quite the motivator as well. Anyway, the point is that a little positive reinforcement in your corner can go a long way. Having someone else telling you "it's all good" is a lot better than telling yourself that.

Breathing properly is the best way to calm down. Google tactical breathing or four-count breathing. That will get you settled and ready to hit that first drive. And use it anytime during the round if you start to feel pressure or start to feel anxious.

Well, I know this isn't going to help you, but I have "situational anxiety", so I pop a couple Xanax about an hour before my teetime and take another at the turn. It's pretty smooth sailing that way. Nothing I tried before that ever worked.

Don't they test for performance enhancing drugs in golf? LOL.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

My handicap is similar to yours. I just make sure and get there in advance so I can warm up properly, chip some, and putt. Nothing worse for the nerves than getting to the course and having to rush to the tee box.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I would just remember that you are a 15 handicapper & your playing partners will not be shocked or look down their noses at you if your shot doesn't turn out like you had planned. use your shots wisely and remember EVERYONE in the tournament will ht poor shots.

Sp just focus on your game and enjoy yourself

Best of Luck

Stuart

Just saw the pairings and it seems I'm the lowest hcp in the foursome. Not sure if that means more or less pressure, but it does mean I'll be playing with guys of similar ability (or at least similar hcp).

Thanks guys for the helpful thoughts. Will definitely just try to enjoy the round and the company.

STX xForm 3, 35"

Don't they test for performance enhancing drugs in golf? LOL.

In my case I'm sure this would be an additional handicap!

STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

Just saw the pairings and it seems I'm the lowest hcp in the foursome. Not sure if that means more or less pressure, but it does mean I'll be playing with guys of similar ability (or at least similar hcp).

Thanks guys for the helpful thoughts. Will definitely just try to enjoy the round and the company.

That makes you the stud in the foursome. :)

Less pressure. Your good shots will help and your poor shots will be the same as the other player's shots.

Relax, have fun. Kiss the starter on the mouth to break the tension... :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Get there early, but not too early! You don't want to be sitting around chomping at the bit or wearing yourself out on the range! Expect to be a little nervous and jumpy on the first tee. Don't put too much pressure on that shot. Step up like you expect to hit a good shot, relax, get balanced, breathe and rip it! I play alot of competitive golf and it still takes me a couple holes to settle down and find a groove. Doesn't mean I play bad through that, I've kind of learned to like it.

Patience is critical in a 4-ball match. Don't get too stressed if you get down a bit, just keep your emotions in check and know that your chances will come. Even if you feel like you aren't playing great don't give up! If you get up in the match, put the pedal down and close 'em out!

Good luck, have fun!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

SeeRed

About three and half years ago I played in my first tournament. It was a match play event. I went OB on the first 4 holes and in the water on the next two. I am sure it was nerves because I hardly ever went out of bound. After it was obvious that I was going to lose I thought I would stretch it out as long as I could. I ended up making a birdie on 18 to tie the match. I ended up winning on the seveth playoff hole. I was exhausted after that. The next time I was in a tournament I remembered the hole I dug for myself. So in the weeks before the match I developed a strategy for the first few holes. I played a tournament last weekend and came in 3rd by staying with my strategy.

Here is my strategy. You can not birdie a hole from the tee box. You can not birdie a hole on the approach shot. You should only think about birdie when you are on or very near the green. So when you are on the tee box, think 200 or 250 what ever is a comfortable distance in the middle of the fairway. Then pick your spot and hit it. You do not have to drive the ball into chipping range. A smooth stroke in the middle is fine.

On the second shot, the focus it so get on the green. If you can get on the green by hitting a half shot with a 7 iron or a 3/4 8 iron instead of hitting a sand wedge as hard as you can, than do it. That is the most important thing. I play in scrambles on Wednesday nights and see all these guys trying to get a sand wedge to fly 130 yards and they have no control. And then I hit a 3/4 9 iron and get it close to the flag, or even hit a bump and run with a 6 iron. At first they think it is a mishit but then they see it was on purpose.

Once you are on the green then you can think about birdie, but not at the sake of par. Your first putt the primary focus should be on speed. I want this to die in the hole or 6 inches past it. Your second putt should be firm to the back of the cup. Often when you are close, you baby the putt with allows it to wonder around like it is drunk, and in my experience it seldom falls in the hole. Now, you do not want to blow it past the hole 5 feet,

But let me sum up the key points. On the tee box, focus on direction not distance. It does not matter if you hit the ball 300 yards if it went out of bounds. That means you did not hit it anywhere because you are still in the same place except this time you are hitting 3.

On chips and especially putts think distance not direction. You are more than likely to three putt because you are 5 feet short or long than left or right. So make sure you hit it the right speed. Tap ins are good.

I played a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, I parred the first 14 holes. He also started out great, but had one bogey and one birdie through 7. I parred 8 and he double bogied, same with 9. My constant pars, and steady play got to be too much for him, he started pressing and by the end of the round I was still in the 70's and he was in the high 80's. He complained that the pressure of knowing that I was going to par or bogie at worst caused him to change and press,

6 word strategy,

Long game / Direction. Short game / Distance.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Also you might consider hitting the hybrid off of the first tee. Or whatever gives you the most confidence that it will be playable. I have a fade that I like to hit off of the first tree, but I do not slice the ball and sometimes hook it so the fade is my go to get it in the fairway shot. I give up 15 to 25 yards but I would rather hit a 7 iron than two wedge shots, one back to the fairway and one to the green.

I play tournaments almost every weekend. Most of them are single stroke play (the type where your HCP goes up and down). Since those tournaments are usually held in our club, most of my playing partners are people I've known for a while so we just pretend it's a normal round, making jokes, making fun of each other and having whiskey shots for every birdie, etc.

When I have better layers in my flight, I learn a lot from them. Example: last weekend we had 25mph winds so this 6 HCP was giving me tips on how to punch the ball low and hit the driver low. In this case, it's better not to be a smart ass or you'll just make a fool out of yourself.

Other times, I am paired up with beginners who need like 10 strokes to get onto the green. Since they play Stableford, they get to pick up their ball when there are no more points for them. That's fine, we all had to start somewhere so it really doesn't bother me. The annoying part is when they start looking for excuses and saying how they usually only need 3 strokes, etc. When the guys I play with have a higher HCP, I always try to help them relax, it's probably their first time and they are too nervous. My goal is to try to make it fun for them so I can enjoy the round as well.

When I play fourball or foursomes, I usually play with my wife, who has a monster drive. So when she tees off the ladies it gives us a great advantage. Because it's my wife, we usually end up fighting a lot. Me missing 1 footers, me slicing the ball, she not being able to get out of the bunker, etc. So it's not very different on or off the course.

Should the partner be someone I've never played with, I always remember a tip my first partner gave me 3 years ago: NEVER blame your partner and don't apologize every single time you shank a shot or miss a putt. It's just a game, so leave the guilt out of it or you'll have the longest 4-5 hours of your life.

Those are just some things I try to keep in mind that I usually forget when I want to finish a round in 3.5 hours.

Now, about your game. I realized the nerve-breaking moment is always the first tee, when a lot of people are watching you. So the idea of teeing off with a 3W or hybrid is valid. Unless you are dead accurate with your driver, just put it in play. You'll have 17 other holes to play in peace.

If you screw up, low HCP know better than to make fun of somebody's bad shot and high HCP will probably hit more bad shots than you. So no worries!

Hope that helps and best of luck! Let us know how it turned out.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Should the partner be someone I've never played with, I always remember a tip my first partner gave me 3 years ago: NEVER blame your partner and don't apologize every single time you shank a shot or miss a putt. It's just a game, so leave the guilt out of it or you'll have the longest 4-5 hours of your life.

Those are just some things I try to keep in mind that I usually forget when I want to finish a round in 3.5 hours.

Now, about your game. I realized the nerve-breaking moment is always the first tee, when a lot of people are watching you. So the idea of teeing off with a 3W or hybrid is valid. Unless you are dead accurate with your driver, just put it in play. You'll have 17 other holes to play in peace.

If you screw up, low HCP know better than to make fun of somebody's bad shot and high HCP will probably hit more bad shots than you. So no worries!

Hope that helps and best of luck! Let us know how it turned out.

True, a. everyone knows you are trying to hit good shots. b. once it is gone there is nothing you can do about it, appologizing, just reenforces it in you mind and reminds everyone of a shot they would like to for get.

These are good tips, and reminders of many things I have read in the past. The one I forget most often is when a shot does not come off quite as planned, observe it but don't judge and move on.

STX xForm 3, 35"

What I found is to not get too excited when you make a great shot. And therefore you do not get too upset when you make a bad one. You will have some of both. Focus on making as good a swing as possible, and take what the course gives up. I mean after all, weren't you meaning to put the ball in the hole.

Also, you can relive in your mind what you did wrong until you are half way to you next shot. At that point, it is time to forget it and prepare for the next shot. If you had a 10 foot putt that you left 5 feet short. Then do not think about that after you have moved 30 inches. Otherwise, you will hit a 10 foot putt that travels 5 feet past the hole.

Every shot is written on a new sheet of paper in your mind. Turn the page. You can put them together in a book to read later when you are planning your next round. Do not read the book while playing.

Do not read the book while playing.

I should put this on a sticker and attach it to my cart.

STX xForm 3, 35"

Well I have a few things that probably work well for me and that I can think of that could help you as well.

BEFORE THE ROUND

Course Preparation, I get as much information on the course as possible from practice rounds and/ or research or asking the club pro about the course. Any information is good information so you can get 'members kicks' so to speak on missed shots. If it is your home course you have a lot less homework to do then if you have never played that course before.

Game Plan, have a way to approach the golf course on paper before the round. This is where the information comes into play you want to make a literal shot by shot strategy guide for the course from green to tee for different hole locations.

--> Know where you can miss a tee shot that won't give you a PS

--> Know where you can miss greens and get up and down majority of the time

--> Know what location on the green is best to give yourself opportunities at making putts

--> Your game plan is to eliminate the big number and assume you are always shooting for par on every hole

DAY OF THE ROUND

tournament day routine, I always show up 1.5 to 2 hours before my tee time. I want a lot of time so that I take things slow in getting to the course, eat a light meal at course take my time in eating. I then go to the putting green and hit a few putts, few chips and pitch shots for a little while. Then I walk to the practice tee and hit no more then 30-40 golf balls just to loosen up taking my time making my pre-shot routine each shot. I take the last 2 or 3 balls and play hole number one for my strategy for that hole. First ball is the drive, 2nd ball is the approach shot, third is normally used as a par 5 ball in 3 strokes or if i hit the drive bad and had to punch out back to the fairway. If you hit two good shots then use the third ball as a little pitch shot or the 2nd hole drive.

Course Management, This is used when you strategy doesn't go to plan and you hit a few loose ones and misses. Always hit the highest percentage shot and take your time thinking about the shot. Again protect par like it is your child and make sure to stick to your game plan regardless of how you are striking the ball. You optimized the plan based on making par the easiest way correct? Birdie chances will come remain patient.

Mental approach, stay relaxed and just think about the good weather and positive thoughts, you don't need to worry as you have confidence in your preparations. Think about the birds chirping or a sports game in-between shots. Then put 100% focus on only the shot that you have in front of you going through normal pre-shot routines like you are the only person on the golf course, don't feel rushed to do anything.

I hope this helps others can add to it if they would like.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

More good stuff- I had a feeling I was drawing on a pretty good resource by asking the question on this forum. jmiller, you actually touch on the one aspect of this particular golf facility that irks me to no end- the "practice" area. Not sure if any of you are familiar with The Links at Bodega Harbour, but it is a beautiful, challenging course. It's nearly always windy, and though the card shows short-ish distances from all tees, it plays much longer (1-4 and 10-12 are all uphill). Great golf course, no-so-great golf facility. The practice cage is one of the worst I've ever seen or used. It's an afterthought, really. They have the space and probably the coin to do much better. End of rant. The weather has been atrocious lately (high winds, driving rain), so the tournament should be interesting. Keep the tips coming!

STX xForm 3, 35"

More good stuff- I had a feeling I was drawing on a pretty good resource by asking the question on this forum. jmiller, you actually touch on the one aspect of this particular golf facility that irks me to no end- the "practice" area. Not sure if any of you are familiar with The Links at Bodega Harbour, but it is a beautiful, challenging course. It's nearly always windy, and though the card shows short-ish distances from all tees, it plays much longer (1-4 and 10-12 are all uphill). Great golf course, no-so-great golf facility. The practice cage is one of the worst I've ever seen or used. It's an afterthought, really. They have the space and probably the coin to do much better. End of rant. The weather has been atrocious lately (high winds, driving rain), so the tournament should be interesting. Keep the tips coming!

I have been to a course that had a putting green / chipping & pitching, then they had 3 hitting nets as their practice tee. That does the job for you if the goal is only to get your muscles lose and working freely and smoothly after stretching. No you really can't get results of the typical miss for that day but it will do the primary goal in getting lose to make a free golf swing on the first tee. You are not wanting to 'work' on your golf swing on the practice tee day of a tournament anyways just not being results oriented and that is about it. When i don't have a 'range' so to speak then the routine changes a little obviously.

Main thing is putting, chipping, & pitching, then just some full swings hitting a ball to losen up. As a side benefit when you have a full 'range' then you get to see your normal miss after you are lose or play the first couple holes in your mind.

With the wind thing you will be able to think about how the wind will effect each hole if the 'range' faces to the east and is straight down wind then you know by which way the holes on the course face will be downwind and into the wind so that you can adjust the game plan / course management based on wind. Most places have a 'standard' directional wind that I normally take into account for the game plan on where ech shot needs to be placed.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Well, yesterday's tournament was...educational. It has been a long, long time since I felt that far out of my comfort zone. I played well above my hcp, which is always tough to accept. The conditions were difficult, but that wasn't it. Now I know what to expect and believe in the future the tournament scene will be easier to handle. On a more positive note, I met and played with some good guys. Thanks to all who provided tips and advice!

STX xForm 3, 35"

It happens. Most of my best and worst rounds ever have been in competition. The highs are the best feeling ever, and the lows, they're hard to take and they leave a mark. Its the joy of competing. Dust yourself off and get back out there, the nerves and jitters do get better with experience.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Well, yesterday's tournament was...educational. It has been a long, long time since I felt that far out of my comfort zone. I played well above my hcp, which is always tough to accept. The conditions were difficult, but that wasn't it. Now I know what to expect and believe in the future the tournament scene will be easier to handle. On a more positive note, I met and played with some good guys. Thanks to all who provided tips and advice!

You are not alone, there are other factors at play that in your first tournament you are not used to dealing with. I know I sucked my first time out in a tournament.

Drugs, alcohol = NOT a good idea!

I have played some tournament golf, and I can tell you from experience that you WILL be nervous, especially on the first tee. Usually by the second or third hole, you will be almost completely relaxed again. That is, until you find out on 17 that you are in the hunt. Then it begins all over again!

The best way to combat it is to slow everything down! The natural tendency when we are nervous is to do everything quickly. So consciously slow everything down. Very slowly get the ball and tee from your pocket. SLOWLY walk to the tee. Everything is exaggeratedly slow. This will help. Also, having a pre-shot routine helps a lot too. It at least gives you something else to think about :)

One last thing that helps me, is to realize that in a big tournament EVERYONE on the tee is nervous. If your opponent doesn't look nervous, he's just hiding it better than you are. He's dying inside just like you!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Drugs, alcohol = NOT a good idea!

I have played some tournament golf, and I can tell you from experience that you WILL be nervous, especially on the first tee. Usually by the second or third hole, you will be almost completely relaxed again. That is, until you find out on 17 that you are in the hunt. Then it begins all over again!

The best way to combat it is to slow everything down! The natural tendency when we are nervous is to do everything quickly. So consciously slow everything down. Very slowly get the ball and tee from your pocket. SLOWLY walk to the tee. Everything is exaggeratedly slow. This will help. Also, having a pre-shot routine helps a lot too. It at least gives you something else to think about :)

One last thing that helps me, is to realize that in a big tournament EVERYONE on the tee is nervous. If your opponent doesn't look nervous, he's just hiding it better than you are. He's dying inside just like you!

+1000, great post Fade.

To add to it learn what works for you in slow rounds to keep you from getting 'anxious' or 'impatient' between shots when you have a lot of time 'standing around'. I normally just turn my back to the group in front of me pay zero attention to what they are doing other then a glance here and their to check up on them. I will swing a club at 20% just to keep my body moving and lose a lot of times this will be a wedge and not the club i need for the shot. When the group is clear then I start my pre-shot routine as if I didn't have to stand there for a good period of time. Managing your mental state and keeping relaxed is always a great plan however you know to pull it off, it will be slightly different for everyone.

It was interesting. By #5 I had calmed down and was playing my game (actually birdied #6), and played pretty well on 5-15. By #16 I felt drained. I walked and it's a hilly course to walk, but I think it was more mental than physical. Consequently, 16-18 were crap. On the whole, the round was a good lesson in maintaining a steady level of physical and mental exertion throughout. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the round took 6 HOURS to complete. Yeah, that was ridiculous.

STX xForm 3, 35"

It was interesting. By #5 I had calmed down and was playing my game (actually birdied #6), and played pretty well on 5-15. By #16 I felt drained. I walked and it's a hilly course to walk, but I think it was more mental than physical. Consequently, 16-18 were crap. On the whole, the round was a good lesson in maintaining a steady level of physical and mental exertion throughout. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the round took 6 HOURS to complete. Yeah, that was ridiculous.

LOL, 5 - 6 hours for a tournament round is pretty standard.

If you shot 80 with a 45 second pre-shot routine and swing all together then you spend 20% of your time in your pre-shot routine and making a stroke over 5 hours, about 17% of the time over 6 hours. No one can focus straight through on golf for even 1 hour, this is what I was trying to say about staying relaxed and thinking about anything besides golf in-between strokes.

Anyone can give 110% focus on something in 30sec to 90second time segments, that's all you need to pick a club, pre-shot routine and then swing. Practice 'being present' mentally, this just means give 110% of your focus on each shot and once the shot is done turn off your golf brain and just 'be present' feel the warm weather on your face, hear the birds chirping, think about relaxing things, once it is your turn to play again, 110% focus goes into it, just keep repeating this process through the entire round. It works the best when the score is not known you just play shots one at a time.

Probably dig up some mental stuff in the Golf Mental Lessons stuff on this kind if thing I know i have a few different posts in the MGS University sections on various things.

Archived