Bridgestone Balls Review

GolfSpy WD

I recently switched to the B330-RXS. I put them up against the Pro V1's that I've been gaming off and on for a few years now. Since I've went to the "always 80" (swinging at 80%), I've lost a little distance with my irons. When testing the driver with a 115mph SS, the Pro V won every time (RXS was about 7-10yds shorter and a little higher launching). My iron swing on the other hand is much slower and smoother than it has ever been, which is why I feel I've been getting "cheated" with the Pro V's. Switching to the RXS added 15yds to each iron in the bag, which basically gives me back what I lost with my new swing, plus a few additional yards, without any more effort. Picking up the extra iron yards more than covers the lost distance; I'm still hitting the same irons into the green that I would be with the Pro V distance off the tee. I couldn't really get a feel for spin on the course yesterday, because the greens were as firm as the cart path; I couldn't get any shot to hold the green, I hit a perfectly struck SW from the fairway and the ball ran through the back of the green, dropped a Pro V on the ground and got the same exact result from another perfectly struck shot (I hit a massive flop that went 30+ feet high and only carried 10yds and it ran 40', thats how ridiculous the greens were).

I'm going to stick with this ball for a while. The local store has 6 packs (3 RX, 3 RXS) on sale for $19.99 right now. BTW, the RX is a great ball for windy conditions or softer greens, because they don't spin near as much as the RXS.

What is interesting is that I normally get a little more spin from the Pro V1x (I haven't compared this years models), The Pro V1x is supposed to be their 'tour distance' type of ball and the Pro V1 'tour spin' type of ball, I kind of found them to be reversed a little bit.

You and I sound to have about the same swing speeds I like the B330-S a lot, again haven't tested this years model as I said before, It still allows good spin off the irons and not completely over compress the ball off the tee with a 113-115mph SS.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted Part 2 now that I had a fitting with Bridgestone. I highly recommend it even if you're happy with your BFit results, it doesn't take long and would still be worth it even if they charged for it.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/5741-bridgestone-balls/page__view__findpost__p__55990

The person in front of me was a fucking long drive champion. He was hitting with clubhead speed of 140mph and talking about XX shafts. It was *loud* when he hit the ball, but was very fun to watch. When it was my turn I had remind myself to not try to achieve 145mph clubhead speed. Turns out I'm not a long drive champion :D.

Yea I saw a Senior LDA guy at one of the stores in Myrtle Beach before they switched launch monitors, That guy was putting it up around 135mph club head speed and goal was to get a 400 yarder on the machine, he got a 399.7 one time it was impressive.

I mean 110-115 is pretty easy to reach with proper sequence and lag, noticed you said something about flipping, I looked at your video you posted saw a couple things but didn't want to say nothing since you really didn't ask for tips in your swing.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Yea I saw a Senior LDA guy at one of the stores in Myrtle Beach before they switched launch monitors, That guy was putting it up around 135mph club head speed and goal was to get a 400 yarder on the machine, he got a 399.7 one time it was impressive.

I mean 110-115 is pretty easy to reach with proper sequence and lag, noticed you said something about flipping, I looked at your video you posted saw a couple things but didn't want to say nothing since you really didn't ask for tips in your swing.

Those guys are ridiculous. Theres a local LD guy around here and he was consistently between 135-138mph. I decided I was going to try to rip a few and I was around 128mph consistently, however the contact was not consistent at all. I caught about 1 of 15 flush and it carried 340........his mishits were carrying 360.

Please do! Half the reason I posted that was for better players to point out what I was doing wrong.

• SPY VIP

Yellow balls are great right up until October or so. Once the leaves turn and start to fall their benefit quickly becomes a huge liability. As far as I know, only Srixon is currently making a premium ball for my swing speed (I'm right on the edge between the standard lineup and the RX lineup, but the fitter recommended the 330. I'd love to see a yellow 330 & 330-S. The same is true for a handful of other premium balls I'm experimenting with.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Yellow balls are great right up until October or so. Once the leaves turn and start to fall their benefit quickly becomes a huge liability. As far as I know, only Srixon is currently making a premium ball for my swing speed (I'm right on the edge between the standard lineup and the RX lineup, but the fitter recommended the 330. I'd love to see a yellow 330 & 330-S. The same is true for a handful of other premium balls I'm experimenting with.

I've never tried Srixon, how are they?

• SPY VIP

I've really only played the Z-Star XV for any period of time. It's the Srixon equivalent of the Pro V1X or Nike 20XI-X. It feels a bit firmer than the others too me. I'd probably be happier with the regular Z-Star. I would have liked to spend some more time with the Srixon lineup, but unfortunately Srixon/Cleveland declined to participate in our ball review series.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Updated this thread with Part 3 of my Bridgestone review

Part 3: Initial Results and Impressions

Alright, I finally went out on the course with these things. They are fantastic balls and everything they're advertised to be.

Distance wise, I really have trouble comparing between different brands. My irons seem to go the same distance regardless of what ball I use. Same goes for my driver. My fairway and hybrids who the hell knows where it'll go, but I'm starting to suspect that's me, and not the ball :D.

Spin wise, these things are fantastic. Off the driver spin is reduced so I don't hit my horrid hooks. I can if I want to, but it's much better than the standard B330 or ProV1 and right on par with the ProV1x. On wedges, I can back these things up very easily which is great and makes people think I'm a good golfer for at least the first few holes before my inevitable collapse. Again, comparable to the ProV1x.

Feel wise these balls are firmer than others I have used. The recycled ProV1x's are noticeably softer. This is true for both irons and putter, so if you like a clickier ball, these may be perfect for you. When I really go after it, I can hit my 27* (5i) 190 yards. I can feel the Bridgestones are there, whereas with the ProV1x, I feel almost nothing. Personally I prefer a softer ball, but I wouldn't hesitate using these if I got a good deal on them :).

Durability wise these things are awesome. After 18 holes, they look like new, which is not something you get from recycled ProV1x's.

Conclusion? Well, golf season ain't done yet and I still want to do a side by side comparison hitting alternate balls with the ProV1x's I have. I'm hoping to do that in a month or so once the courses open up so I can do a true test of accuracy and distance. In the meantime, I'd say balls, like clubs, are really a personal preference and you should play what you enjoy. I will say without the Bridgestone fitting, I would never have known I should stay clear of the 's' type balls meant for more spin because I already generate too much, so going to their fitting has been invaluable.

I'll update Part 4 with my final thoughts and side-by-side comparisons.

Good stuff wd. I use Bstone balls with pride. Best on the market.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Good stuff wd. I use Bstone balls with pride. Best on the market.

That's pretty much what I figured some people would say and nothing I've seen so far would argue that these aren't at least as good as other top end balls. They perform great, but between some of the best balls, it's all personal preference.

I forgot to add one thing and I've updated Part 3 to include it. The durability of these balls is fantastic. After 18 holes, they still look like new.

I played an RX for 100 holes straight once. It looked (probably not exaggerating) like it hit a dozen trees five cart paths and got shredded by 50 wedge shots. But it was all held together and still played like one does right out of the box. Undoubtedly the most durable urethane ball I've ever used.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I played an RX for 100 holes straight once. It looked (probably not exaggerating) like it hit a dozen trees five cart paths and got shredded by 50 wedge shots. But it was all held together and still played like one does right out of the box. Undoubtedly the most durable urethane ball I've ever used.

For some reason I can't seem to keep a ball longer than 18 holes, but for those of you who can, I can totally see this being true. If I can manage to keep a ball for 18 straight, I'll post some before and after to show the difference. Most people will swear I never hit the ball, but my wedges do bite decently hard since I spin GW and up back a few feet.

Yep, their "on-line" ball fitting is certainly not based on hardened facts/numbers such as those that a fitter would take into consideration when fitting someone.

And I would guess that when in doubt, it defalts to the Tour ball lines. That wouldn't be because of price, would it? Nah, no way..lol

Just a thought.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I think a lot of people found it was suggesting the e6 to them. Basically, it chooses the price point based on the current ball you play, so if you play urethane, you're going to get one of the B330 series balls. Anything in the middle you'll get an e-series.

But yeah, the whole online ball fitting, or any online static fitting, doesn't work too great. I do like their actual fittings where the "fitter" does look over different aspects of your swing to determine which ball to use. It's still very formulaic, but that's probably a good thing since there's no way they can hire that many good fitters.

I genuinely like the Srixon Z-Stars. They go like mad and stop really well. Much like others here, I tend not to play them on courses that have significant 'hazard' space. On a wide open course, I'll grip and rip $4 balls, but if it's tight, I find that I prefer the Q-Stars (which are currently my 1st choice ball when I can find them on the cheap). The Bridgestone is still my second choice ball, but the B-330's are a little expensive and I really don't find the e6 (what the recommendation tool pushes me towards when I add the 'is a cheap bastard' option to the fitting options) to be as good a ball as the Q-Star or NXT at the same price point.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

I actually got the E6 recently, and played my first round with them yesterday. Unfortunately they were no match for my hybrid hooking off the tee.

I've been practising my putting indoors with these for a while, and they felt better off the putter than I thought they would. As for on course, I wasn't actually thinking about the ball much. I hit some good shots, and some not-very-good-at-all shots as well. I didn't really notice the ball, and its performance. Maybe not noticing the ball is a good thing...

Richard, I don't fall into those specs, so can't help you out with that.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I pulled a one hit wonder yellow E6 out of one of the canals at my local course a couple weeks ago. Last Sunday, I played it and found that it was similar in distance and greens roll as the Diable Tours I have been gaming all summer.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Thanx, and BTW, has anyone played the 330-S(my current ball) and the e6? What did ya think? I only ask because there are some great deals on the e6.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

The e6 is a fine ball for 90% of the golfers in the world, and if you don't play an approach shot with good back spin, I would argue that the 330 is overkill for your game. In addition, we are quickly approaching the time of year where you could be playing with race tire rubber coverd balls and they wouldn't check up. As the cool season approaches, I always step back to the cheaper non-urethane balls, because the playability difference really gets marginalized in colder conditions. Urethane tends to lose it's 'soft' feel at about 45-50 degrees IMO. When you get down in the 30's (yes, I play all year and will frequently tee off as soon as the grounds crew will let us on frosty mornings), you may as well be playing a $9 a box Pinnacle 'Distance' rock for all the bite you will get on the greens.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X