Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The most memorable round of golf you ever played

Pvicary

What is the most memorable round of golf ever played. One that comes to mind above all others. A story that you have told a thousand times and will tell a thousand more if time permits. 

I’ll start it off. Mine was a round at The Country Club, Brookline Mass. in 1991. The Country Club is the oldest golf-oriented country club in the United States. I arrived at the club hung over having been out much too late having been out far too late the evening before entering clients in downtown Boston. I remember stopping at a drug store on the way there to buy sunglasses to hide the redness. It was a round scheduled with a client, a well known Boston Bruins former player and the member who was the Chairman of a MA based brokerage firm. 

Too messed up to hit practice balls and hands shaking from one too many cocktails it hit two putts on the practice green and was as ready as I would ever be to get started. The front nine was unbelievable. As bad as I felt, the clubs seemed to be on autopilot. A birdie par birdie par had me -2 after four. A bogey at 5 and another birdie a 6 had my mind swirling. What did Curtis Strange shoot in his final round of the Open in 89? I digress. Pars at 7 and 8 had me at -2. I knocked it stiff on 9 and found the bottom of the cup for an opening nine 33. Wow! Then came the dreaded words by the member. “Let’s stop for a bowl of soup and let me show you the clubhouse. Then we’ll go out for last nine.” Of course we accepted the invitation.
We had no choice. The lunch was enjoyable however the mojo I had on the front side must have been left in the clubhouse library because it sure didn’t find its way to the back nine. I slashed my way to a +4 39. My hopes of qualifying for anything other than a weekend skins game were dashed. While a 72 on a course as prestigious as The Country Club is nothing to turn your nose up at, the disappointment of what could have been was gone. And to think, I could have been a contender. That’s my story. 

Edited by Pvicary

TaylorMade  M1 custom driver with Talamonti Lite 55 gram R flex shaft
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 17 degree 3 wood Matrix Ozik R flex
Ping G2 17 degree 5 woodw TFC 100 R shaft
TaylorMade SLDR 3 Rescue 19 degree w Fuji 82h Speeder S shaft
TaylorMade SIM Max OS irons 4-PW w Fuji Ventus 6R shafts
TM RSi1 50 degree gap wedge w KBS TGI 60 shaft
Callaway X c grind 56 degree wedge True Temper S steel shaft
Callaway SureOut 58 degree UST Mamiya 65 sand wedge
TaylorMade Milled Grind 60 degree lob wedge NIppon Pro modus 1 degree upright Tour 120 S shaft . All woods, hybrids and irons fitted with JumboMax grips. FBS1 modified 3 degree center shaft offset putter w JumboMax grip. Bushnell TourZ6 rangefinder

I had a few contenders.  The first time I paid over $100 to play golf at The Bear in Travers City, MI in the mid-late 80's (after finishing I told my wife if we lived here, it would be cheaper to be addicted to cocaine).  The weekend I played both La Casta courses sandwiched between Torrey Pines.  Or playing Champions in Houston, Texas one or two days after they hosted the PGA Tour Championship.  We played the same tee box and pin placements from the pro's tournament.

But I have to say my most memorable is playing Oak Hill in Rochester, NY in 1995.   A friend of mine called and asked if I could get out of work?  I said sure and he said come on and join me at the Oak Hill.  He was a member, and it was the last day the East Course was open before it was shut down to prep for the Ryder Cup.  I jumped at the chance.   Other than the great experience of playing a top 50 golf course, three things stood out for me.  First was the depth of the rough.  They were growing it for the Ryder Cup and once you stepped in it, you could barely see your shoes.   On the first par 5, I drove the ball in the right rough.  Luckily, we had caddies and they found it.  It took me three more shots to get out of it!!   The second was the changes in elevation that television just didn't give justice to.   The uphill par 4 14th and finishing with the uphill approach to 18 were steeper than it looked on TV.  Last, the fact I shot in the mid 80's made it extra special.   Several months later I worked the Ryder Cup as a volunteer.   It was interesting seeing the pros play the same course i did a few weeks earlier. 

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I think I may have to post a few times to this thread... so many memorable rounds over the years.  I would say one of the top memorable rounds was attending the US Open at Chambers Bay (Tacoma, WA) in 2015 and following Jordan (the ups and downs, and ultimately... top) and then returning to the course on the first day they opened play to the public to enjoy (or should I say appreciate) the difficulty of that course as played in a US open setup.  Granted... there was some time to let some of the lightning fast greens get a little slower, and I certainly wasn't playing from the same distances the pro's did... but it was possibly the most difficult round of golf I have ever played, scored horribly... and enjoyed every minute of it... 

That is a round I will never forget (for good and for bad...haha).  

In threads to come... playing La Costa in Carlsbad, playing The Reserve in Portland, Port Ludlow on the Puget Sound, Memorial Park here in Houston, and the Desert Inn in Las Vegas just prior to it being torn down.  All rounds that I will remember my whole life for different reasons... 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I have quite a few so I'll keep them brief.

1) The first time I broke 80 was a memorable event. I was playing The Wizard in Myrtle Beach on a buddy's trip. All I needed to do was make par on the last hole for a 79 and I didn't know. Obviously, I made it. But I had no clue what my score was going into the last hole because the score card was in the other cart. They all started cheering and then they told me I broke 80. I went right into the pro shop and purchased a course hat for the occasion. I still have it and it has never been worn. 

2) Playing Bethpage Black after the renovations. It was a beast before, but they made it even harder. When you have to carry the ball 220 yards to reach the fairway on the first hole, you know you're in for a tough day. 

3) Playing TPC River Highland right after the Greater Hartford Open (Now the Travelers) first time experiencing their course conditions and having the grandstands still up.

4) Playing TPC Southwind in 2020. It was nice only because it was a tour stop and it's private and I got on to play it. But the course didn't wow me like I thought it should.

5) Playing Southern Hills and shooting in the low 80's right after the tour was there in 2022. That was a tough course. Holy fast greens Batman. I watched my ball get blown off the green twice during the round (From being still for the amount of time it took for the next player to hit and his ball land). Also, my first time with a caddy. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 years ago a very close family friend was throwing my wife a baby shower and asked her if she wanted to do it coed or if she thought I'd want to do something else.  I jokingly told my wife that I bet (friends husband) would rather play golf at their home club and jokingly suggested that I should join him.  It was not a real ask from me, said kind of absurdly never going to happen but loosely hopeful way.  It was more more intended to get me out on my local muni track than onto their CC.  My wonderful wife, maybe reading the hopeful part of it, actually suggested the idea to our family friend and much to my surprise, delight, and embarrassment the husband (a friend I'd never actually ask) thought it was a great idea.

So.... that's how I found myself at the gate of LACC about to play North as a 17 handicap.  Somewhat wondering if I was dreaming, and hoping that I didn't make too bad a fool of myself with my friend who is a scratch golfer and whatever other members were playing with us.  LACC is a pants only facility (which I knew), a mostly walking only facility (which I didn't), and has a LOT of elevation change (which you will all see in about 4.5 months).  I should also mention that I was sick  and it was late July.  Honestly, if I'd been having chest pains in the parking lot I probably still would have laced up my shoes and started swinging.   So, pants, hilly, sick, 100 degrees.  😜  I'd also never golfed with a caddie before so pretty much no clue on etiquette other than what the website and my friend had told me about cell phones, pants, hats in the clubhouse, and changing shoes in the locker room.    

I heard Ron White "No one's stopping  me!"  in my head as the gates opened and proceeded to have an amazing time getting absolutely thumped by a world class golf course.  In my head I'm just a small town kid from rural Idaho and when I moved to LA I never even imagined that I might be able to play a course like this.   I ended up shooting 108. I three putted a lot, had short game issues, and my driver was much more miss than hit.  But I also holed a couple long ones, hit some pretty solid shots, and made my way around the course semi competently.  I got my lone par on #15 and had a few other good looks (if I'd trusted the caddies, I'd have had more).  .  We also ended up playing with a couple guys that I know, so after the first couple holes (where my brain was screaming at me that I was indeed playing LACC North and that I didn't really belong there) I overcame my nerves got comfortable and had a really enjoyable round of playing terrible golf.   I also finally learned to trust the caddies, but it took longer than it should have.  The round flew by, but I remember it in detail.   Some highlights:

• Hitting a great 8 iron into #3 after landing in the sandy rocky barranca/canyon off the tee. 
  • Nearly blocking my tee shot into Lionel Richie's  back yard on # 4. 
  • Getting absolutely wrecked on # 6 trying to hit the 38' wide green from the fairway -- above on the hillside, over again to the waste area 10 feet below the green, back to above, flubbed chip to the fringe (a godsend), two putt. 
  • Hitting the very front of the  green from the tee on #9 and three putting. 
  • Slicing my tee shot on 10 into the # 16 fairway (which may be a viable play at the US open). 
  • Being wowed by the view of downtown LA from the #11 tee (they'll show this view a ton on TV coverage). 
  • Teeing off beside the playboy mansion.
  • Finally getting a par at the short 15th on it's tricky green.
  • Seeing the  course (but not playing it) from the  future US Open tee boxes (7200 yard).
  • Seeing the tiny little original George C Thomas 17th green that they re-discovered during the 2010 renovation.  (Unofficial 19th hole now)
  • Having drinks afterwards overlooking the course.

Some additional observations I have about the course: 

• It is hands down the hardest golf course I've ever played and last year I played La Purisima in a tournament the day after the US open qualifier.  There's some forgiveness in the layout if you know the course, but its still a course that places a premium on positioning.  I would love to get another crack at it now that I have better control of my game to see if I might creep myself down to 90 or below.  Maybe some day.  🤞 
  • The greens are very difficult -- heavily sloped,  not particularly big, and for a random Saturday are still the fastest greens I've ever experienced.   The pins were difficult for me, but from what I remember there are some really nasty spots they can put pins that would be borderline impossible for amateurs -- which combined with what I'm sure they will be absurdly fast green speeds will make it a tough test. There will be a premium on being below the hole and not short sided.
  • The last thing is that I think the half par holes are going to be awesome short Fives they can make into Absurd 4s.  A short Par 4 that can be played as a 285 yard Par 3.  And the itty bitty little 15th that is a superb short par 3.    Hopefully I'll get a chance to chat with my friend about how its shaping up since I can guarantee he'll be playing it (a lot) right up until they officially turn it over to the USGA in late May.

It feels kind of nice to tell people about it.  I don't really mention it that much since LACC is a very, very private club, but I figure with the US open coming up I have a small window to talk about my experience without risking never being invited back again.  😆

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

There really are too many to recall. 

I have had several memorable rounds with @Nunfa0 in New Zealand. Although the game was never hitting on all cylinders the area, courses, company were standouts. 

I have had some very memorable rounds with my ex father in law and ex brother in law with one being a career low 2 over at one of our mutual favourite courses. 

However there are 2 that stand out a little more than others. One being a tournament round where I honestly didn't score great. I think I was 9 over or something like that, however I made an eagle on a par 5 with my dad as my caddie. Then in the summer just as I was going through the divorce I played a round with my dad who doesn't really golf much, but we were joined by my cousin who 8 years old or so and a golf addict at arguably my all time favourite course The Rise in Vernon BC. Stellar views, unique fun holes and I played lights out. Shot a 4 over on a incredibly difficult course. It was my first time there and I had no fear. They have since changed the layout and I don't like it quite as much, but the views are still there. It was just an amazing combination of situation, play, company and enjoyment that made for a round I won't ever forget. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The day I played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island.  The course superintendent was a friend and invited us down numerous times to play the course and on this particular day, was one I will always remember.  Started out with a birdie on hole number one and finished one over on the front.  Not so well on the back but only four over for a 40.  Happiest day of my life with a smooth 77 from the Championship tees at the Ocean Course.  Course rating 142.  Have shot better scores elsewhere, but not on courses this tough. 

The Ryder Cup, Senior PGA Championship, PGA Championships, Word Cup and other PGA events have been hosted there, which I have worked as a volunteer.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

My most memorable round was at Merion Golf Club .  Pulling up to the clubhouse and then going inside this historic locker room was awesome.  The first tee is right off the clubhouse and there was a small group of members gathered around to see people tee off ( no mulligans allowed ).  We played behind the great amateur Buddy Marucci ( he battled Tiger in the 1995 US AM) .  The golf course rough was just brutal as it should be .  The greens were perfect and the wicker baskets for flag sticks are legendary.  Every hole is memorable and different.  Then you finish off your round with a legendary shower in the locker room which features shower heads the size of a man hole cover.  You will never take another shower like the one you take at Merion !  A few drinks at the historic clubhouse looking at all of the old pictures and trophies is a fantastic way to finish your visit !  All the greats have played here !

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

First of all, I understand most of you won't believe this. That's OK.

During a trip to Scotland years ago, my brother and I were scheduled to play Troon in the morning and Turnberry in the afternoon--our last day. Well that day turned out to be stormy. Quite stormy.

We teed off at Troon into a 55 mph wind which changed direction on #7 and brought a deluge. We finished though (Norman would have paid to have my drive on 18), had lunch, and headed down the road to Turnberry. Here the wind was in the mid-40's, but sunny to start. Then the rains were added to the wind. On holes 2 thru 5 it was like a John Wayne World War II movie on a destroyer in the North Atlantic. We had to shout into each other's ears to be heard over the rain and wind. Then after 5, the sun came out, but the wind intensified. Did I mention the wind got stronger--much stronger! On 9 tee the wind blew me away from my ball in mid-backswing...and almost off the tee. I asked our caddie how strong the wind was and he answered, "Aye, laddie, it must be 80 miles per hour." Unbelievable-yes. But when we got back to the Turnberry hotel after the round, the anemometer had recorded winds of 78 mph!!

I posted an 89 that day at Turnberry and still think it was one of the best rounds I ever played!!

Sub-70, Callaway, Mizuno, and Yes! Trying to shoot my age occasionlly.

Kind of an easy one for me.  Back in the day I had a Kiawah Ocean Course coupon that allowed me to play for $ 150..the catch it was only good in December, January or February.  I had a day off and called over for a tee time, said pair me me up as needed.  60 degrees and overcast, I arrived only to find out there were no other players that day.  It was just me and the caddy walking 18 holes and the sound of the Ocean, no other humans in sight.  Made birdie from the waste area to the left on #3, turned back into the wind and birdied #11…the golf was down hill from there but an experience I will never forget…a good walk unspoiled

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 9.5 Driver

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3/5 wood

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 4/5 hybrid

:callaway-small: Big Bertha  6- A irons

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy sand wedge 54/58 degrees

:cleveland-small:  Frontline Elevado

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft X balls

My most memorable round ever was with two professionals, a scratch golfer and myself (about a 5).  We were playing a private 9 hole course (Linden Golf Club) in Puyallup, Washington and it was a $5 skins game.  The game was scratch so no handicap. It was one tie all tie but on this one hole it looked like the Pro from the mini tour was going to win.  He hit his approach to about 70' from the hole, I overshot the green by about 6' and the others were just short.  The pin placement was diabolical since it was on a slope.  I was the closest but in the worst position.  The mini tour pro chipped up and into the hole for a birdie.  The other two players got close but no birdies, that left me.  I looked at the landing area behind the green and the slope down to the pin and new I would have to hit a mini flop, get a good bounce and then it would have to kick straight to have any chance .  The spot I had to hit was about 3" wide X 3".  I pictured the shot in my mind then took my swing.  The ball shot up into the air, dropped exactly in the middle of my landing area and kicked straight rolling down the green about 4' into the cup.  Everyone was shouting that you just made a million in one shot.  It was actually the greatest shot in a competiton I have ever done.

WITB - Cobra Dvr, 3wd, 18 degree hybrid & 16.5 degree hybrid, PING I200 irons 4-PW, Ping wedges AW, SW & putter

I have two that stick out, the first I played in a golf league when I worked at Boeing. Every year we would go away for our Championship tournament. I was playing well enough to be seeded into the 1st division (lower Handicap Flight). For the Tourney we played 2 different courses, we all throw $20 bucks into the pot for Long drive, KP's, Low Net, and Skins. and those are played by the 2 divisions. So after Day 1 I am sitting in 2nd place, Mind you I am a 15 and some change handicap, but low enough to be in the 1st division. We are Playing Suncadia in Cle Elum, Washington, nice resort course. Day 2 we play based on place like the pro, 1st group out is 2nd division lowest 4 players, 2nd is 1st division lowest 4 players ect. So I am in the last of 5 groups with 3 of us. the 3 of us are within 2 stokes and 6-7 clear of the next guy. I am playing well and keeping tabs on where I stand in our group, still 2nd after 9. On 10 the leader loses his ball trying to dive the green, instead of going back a re-teeing, he picks up , WTF.. that ends his tournament. It comes down to myself and our league Secretary.  In the end I win the tournament, and $220 buck in games. My buddy who I rode with was trashed in the clubhouse when i got done, so I had to drive his drunk Butt home after He made me buy drinks.. lol

2nd one Myself and Swmbo, go with another couple (Buddy from story 1 and his GF)on a golf weekend every year. we both play about the same, he'll win by a stroke or two I'll beat him by a stroke or two. So we plan it so it warm and we try to get in two rounds 1 with girls on 1 day and 1 with just us as the girls go shopping, etc.. Day 1 we are playing a nice resort course in Eastern Washington I crap the bed, after an opening round par I end up shooting a 117. I could not have hit water if I had fallen out of a boat. we have a great weekend.. Fast forward 1 month, and family vacation All the guys go play golf to the same course. I end up playing the front in -2, and shoot a 78 total.. best round of my life.. how can i shoot a 117 and turn around and shoot 78 a month later? Gotta love Golf.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Enjoyed Tiburon a couple of times, Kiawah, too, Oak Hill several times (I live near Rochester), still remember the public course in Australia played on R&R 53 years ago, won a bet from my boss (good guy) by birdieing 18 at Doral, hated Tobacco Road (put windmills on all the blind holes). Second best was Sea Island a couple times. Best was Dormie Club near Pinehurst. Son bought me a round, I got a caddie who easily saved me 5-6 strokes, shot my best round ever, by far (76), on a pretty tough, beautiful, well laid out course. Play it, get a caddie, you'll love it.

Reading this thread makes me feel like we should see how much of the Top 100 MGS members have played.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Great question and like many others too many to list but 2 standout above the rest:

1. Golf trip to Pebble Beach/Spyglass with my son as a graduation present for him. The kicker was snagging a tee time at Olympic to start the trip which he was a surprise for him (he could barely swing a club for the first few holes he was so shocked that he was on those hallowed grounds.

2. Sept 2009, shot a 77 @  Bethpage Black 14 pars, 2doubles and 2 bogies…it was surreal

Pete T: I’d rather be golfing!

2 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Reading this thread makes me feel like we should see how much of the Top 100 MGS members have played.  

Excellent idea. Now, who can get the top 100 into excel and set it up so we can all access it?  Then and we just x off the ones we played. If there is an x there already just move on. Not in my skill set otherwise I would.

52 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Excellent idea. Now, who can get the top 100 into excel and set it up so we can all access it?  Then and we just x off the ones we played. If there is an x there already just move on. Not in my skill set otherwise I would.

This may be just the kind of procrastination task that gives me a much needed break from looking at building plans.  Who knew Excel could be so exciting.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

1 minute ago, Syks7 said:

This may be just the kind of procrastination task that gives me a much needed break from looking at building plans.  Who knew Excel could be so exciting.

Top 100 in the USA or top 100 in the world? Decisions,decisions. We could probably do better in just the U.S. But you never know. We do have alot of travelers and members abroad. 

My most memorable round is memorable for an unusual reason. It was in the mid 1970s. I didn't warm up and hooked my first shot into the driving range fence along the left side of the first hole. I had to punch out, hit a wedge and missed the 10 foot par putt. I managed to birdie one hole on the front nine and parred everything else. On the back nine I had one birdie and one bogey and parred everything else. Par 70. Lipped out birdie putt on 18. Would have shot a 69. Santa Anita Golf Course in Arcadia, CA - east of Los Angeles. Because I was concentrating on my game I kept forgetting to ask a guy I had been paired with by the starter about his voice. It sounded very familiar, yet I didn't recognize him. He was built like a body builder but it looked natural, not from a lot of weight lifting. I finally remembered to ask him on the 17th tee. He asked if I had watched TV in the 1950 as a kid. I had. He said I would figure it out. It dawned on me later that it was Clayton Moore, the "Lone Ranger." I hadn't realized how big/broad he was. He was just over 6 feet, but looked like he weighed around 230 and wasn't fat. He said he swam laps every day.

Another "memorable" round was playing at Elkins Ranch GC with my Dad when the wind must have been 30-40 MPH. On a 425 yard par 4 into the wind I hit a driver off the tee, another driver off the fairway, and a 5 iron into the green. Two holes later on a 511 yard par 5 with the wind I hit a driver and pitching wedge and was pon high. I couldn't score under those conditions, but it was fun.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

Wow this is a tough call!! I have been lucky enough to have played at many great courses with stunning views and great locations but Seapoint in County Louth, Ireland is a highlight. Especially seen as I beat my father in law last time up (with borrowed clubs). 

Another way to look at this is performance wise and there are a few of them too. My lowest score of 74 at home (par 73), shooting 5 over in a round when I was 5 over after 2 holes was fun too. But the best was when I was playing match play, was 5 down with 6 to play, and won 1 up. The team lost 7-1 that day so I saved us some embarrassment!!.

Other than that, any day you can walk off the course and enjoy a cold beer with your playing partners is a great day at golf. There is a set of clubs waiting for you @GolfSpy_APH and lots of great beers too mate!!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

14 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Wow this is a tough call!! I have been lucky enough to have played at many great courses with stunning views and great locations but Seapoint in County Louth, Ireland is a highlight. Especially seen as I beat my father in law last time up (with borrowed clubs). 

Another way to look at this is performance wise and there are a few of them too. My lowest score of 74 at home (par 73), shooting 5 over in a round when I was 5 over after 2 holes was fun too. But the best was when I was playing match play, was 5 down with 6 to play, and won 1 up. The team lost 7-1 that day so I saved us some embarrassment!!.

Other than that, any day you can walk off the course and enjoy a cold beer with your playing partners is a great day at golf. There is a set of clubs waiting for you @GolfSpy_APH and lots of great beers too mate!!

I am trying! Have to wait till kid 2 is at least born haha

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Mine is most memorable not because of where I played, but how I played, at least for part of the round.

For context, I'm a hacker. If I break 100, it's a good day, and if I break 90, we're having a party. Having said that, I was playing some of the best golf of my life in the mid-1990s, when I was in my late 30s. Even then, bogey golf was an accomplishment.

In August 30, 1997, I played a round at Emerald Lake Golf Club in the Charlotte suburbs with my brother. The course was relatively new at the time, and this was only the first or second time we'd played it.

After starting with a fairly routine double bogey on the par-4 first, I went into a zone and played the best five holes of my life:

• #2 (402-yard par-4): Par
  • #3 (151-yard par-3): Par
  • #4 (338-yard par-4): Eagle (my first ever: holed a wedge from 95 yards)!
  • #5 (500-yard par-5): Birdie (reached the green in two and 2-putted)
  • #6 (384-yard par-4): Par

So, after six holes, one-third of the way through my round, this mediocre golfer is ONE-UNDER-FREAKING-PAR. 😃

Mind you, my best-ever round was a 12-over 83 (on an easier course) a couple of years earlier, but at this point I just know that I'm going to do better than that, and might even have a chance to break 80.

I did my best to keep the delusions of grandeur at bay, but bogeyed #7 and #8 and double bogeyed #9 (which, to be fair, is the hardest hole on the course). Still, finishing the front 9 with a 3-over 38 puts me in great shape for the best round of my life!

Then I woke up.

Bogeys on #10, #11, and #13 (all relatively easy holes) continued the slide; triples on #12 and #14 and a quad on #15 sealed my fate. I finally made a back-9 par on #18, but the damage was done.

38 + 52 = 90 on the par-71 course. My back-9 meltdown resulted in one shot worse than bogey golf. 😩

25+ years later, I still haven't broken 83. But I'll keep trying, and will remember that five-hole stretch for the rest of my life!

Driver: Ping G400 Max (10.5° @ 9.9°) - Wishon S2S Red Wood R
Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX (20°, 24°) - Wishon S2S Red Hybrid R
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX (6i-9i) - Aerotech SteelFiber i95 R
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2 (46°, 52°), CBX Full-Face (58°) - Project X LZ 5.5
Putter: Ping DS72 C
Balls: Srixon Z-Star

My most memorable was a 46 I shot on the front 9 of a little muni I grew up playing. This one will need some explaining.

I started rough, with an 8 and a 9 on the opening par 4 and 5. Then hit a ridiculously smothered worm burner on the par 3 3rd that landed about 30-40 yards in front of the front tees, rolled around another 160 yards straight into the hole for a 1. It was my first, but I hardly celebrated because the shot was such garbage. I then proceeded to birdie the next par 4, then went 5, 6, and 7 on the next three par 4s. At this point I realized I could shoot for the cycle, scoring 1-9 on the nine holes, with a short par 3 and par 5 ahead of me. I got aggressive on the par 3, hoping for an easy birdie and then birdie the very gettable last for the sequential 45. The shot was good and I left it about 15 feet below the hole for the birdie, but I lipped out, smashing all my dreams. I still birdied the par 5 last hole to go: 8, 9, 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 3, 4 for a disappointing 46. Still rueing the missed 2. Afterwards, I vowed if I ever get another shot at hitting for the cycle, I will throw putts or whatever I have to do to get it.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...

One of my earliest rounds was memorable in a bad way.  Owen and I played Fairways in nearby Rochelle, Il for the first time.  After the first three holes we accidentally went to six, which was closer to three's green, instead of four.  Didn't realize our mistake until we teed off on seven.  After seven we jumped back to play four and five (place was pretty empty).  

We headed back and teed off on eight, inadvertently jumping right in front of a single that we hadn't seen before then.  Two topped drives and two mis-hit second shots before we got out of his way.  Guy was fuming, and rightfully so.  An egregious lack of etiquette on our part made us the villains in that guy's story. 

We've been back twice since then and played poorly every time.  Owen hates that course with a passion and that first round replays in my head at least once every few weeks.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter