Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

LA Golf - will they become a significant player in the golf industry?

cnosil

I think they will always be a niche player.  Maybe something like Evnroll or Bettinardi.  If they are lucky they could grow to be Miura sized but that would take a long time.  It's just such a hard market to crack as average golfers don't upgrade all that often and are more likely to stick with brands they are familiar with when spending large amounts of money.  Someone previously mentioned them getting to a 10% market share.....that would be huge.  Depending on what were talking about that would probably put them just outside the Big 5 and I don't see that happening in the next 30 years.  

I also don't think their main product categories are all that appealing to the average golfer.  I'm pretty current on all the latest equipment and reviews, etc and I'm still not convinced that a $400 putter shaft is going to substantially improve my putting skills in the long run.  Might be some short term gains due to confidence but those always fade....just like you always putt well with a new putter but 9 months later you're putting something else in the bag.

Their other big product line is high end shafts and because of their strong ties to Bryson, etc I tend to think of them as a shaft for faster swing speeds.  As someone with a 100mph driver speed, LA Golf is not who I would think of as fitting me, even though I'm sure they have an offering that would be appropriate.  

Please disregard my post as the manufacturer was probably Stroke-Lab not LA shafts     

Edited by T McKinnon
shaft manufacturer may have been a stroke Lab

WITB  -  Mizuno driver and irons and EVNROLL putter or SEEMORE putter depending on the day.

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Let me ask you a question which ties to @releaseresponse above.  Why is a Scotty a dream to have.  It may not be the best putter for you sowhy not find the putter that works best for you.  Why does everyone want a Scotty? 

Imo it's partially marketing and partially that mythical magic dust that makes them good.  Similar to Miura.  

2 minutes ago, T McKinnon said:

Reading above about a putter shaft breaking, it seems to me that the cost/quality of LA shafts is a little suspect?  I for one will be looking for other shaft options.   

The putter shaft reference above was an Odyssey Stoke Lab shaft not an LA Golf.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Let me ask you a question which ties to [mention=98]release[/mention]response above.  Why is a Scotty a dream to have.  It may not be the best putter for you sowhy not find the putter that works best for you.  Why does everyone want a Scotty?  

Your post is  about LAB Golf which is not the same company LA Golf which is what this thread is referencing.  But your point is valid that LAB has kind of a cult following and people seem willing to spend more on those putters than the LA Golf putters.

I’d say there is something that is ionic about the Scotty? A lot of buddies play it which might influence me? I do remember when I started golfing it felt like Scotty was a “coveted” thing to have in your bag.

At the end of the day it sounds maybe like personal bias but some day when I get fitted for a new putter I’ll keep an open mind.

As for the Lab vs LA Golf thing - great call out the morning coffee hasn’t kicked in here apparently and to be honest until your call out i hadn’t even heard of these putters.

Sadly, doing a quick google of LA Golf - I’ve never done research in this brand. Call Me a novice or maybe this is a prime example of LA Golf’s lack of reach to the average golfer at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a power fade, not a slice.

• Driver - Callaway XR
  • 3 Wood - Ping G25
  • 3 Hybrid - Ping G400
  • 4 Hybrid - Nike VRS Covert 2,0
  • 5i-PW - Callaway Razr X
  • 50*, 54*, 58* - Vokey SM9
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 Putter

3 minutes ago, T McKinnon said:

I have a good golf buddy who when fitted at Club Champion had a LA shaft installed in his new driver at a premium cost.   Well, within the first week or two the shaft snapped between the club head and the grip.  He got the shaft replaced under warranty and within a week the shaft snapped again.  He was not happy with his experience!  Reading above about a putter shaft breaking, it seems to me that the cost/quality of LA shafts is a little suspect?  I for one will be looking for other shaft options.   

the broken shaft mentioned above was a strokelab not an LA golf shaft.

Also, I would say something funky has to be going on with your buddies golf swing or something.  Either that or whoever is installing the shaft doesn't know what they are doing.  Breaking 2 shafts in 3 weeks is highly unusual.

1 minute ago, ChitownM2 said:

Imo it's partially marketing and partially that mythical magic dust that makes them good.  Similar to Miura.  

I’d also add that they are widely used on professional tours so people think there is magical dust that makes them better so they want one. 😁.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

the broken shaft mentioned above was a strokelab not an LA golf shaft.

Also, I would say something funky has to be going on with your buddies golf swing or something.  Either that or whoever is installing the shaft doesn't know what they are doing.  Breaking 2 shafts in 3 weeks is highly unusual.

You may be correct in your assessment of the shaft manufacturer.  During the 20+ years I have played golf with my buddy, he has never broken another shaft.

WITB  -  Mizuno driver and irons and EVNROLL putter or SEEMORE putter depending on the day.

8 minutes ago, T McKinnon said:

You may be correct in your assessment of the shaft manufacturer.  During the 20+ years I have played golf with my buddy, he has never broken another shaft.

PX had issues with the hzrdus shafts breaking to the point they put a freeze on them.

Fujikura had an issue with the initial release of the ventus tr shafts.

There have been others over the last decade or so.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you thought they'd never be significant, it's because you DON'T know anything about the company...

First and foremost they bought Matrix Ozik when they went under, they own ALL of their patents such as their revolutionary HD shaft design - matrix was one of the biggest players in the world for shafts - the putter for $2500 is a bit obscene, but so is the same price for a custom out tour issue scotty.

The biggest difference most ppl don't quite grasp is instead of the hand rolled junk shafts your getting machine rolled tour quality shafts and most of them are actually selling at retail for about $150-$300 not $500 - so you san find one for cheaper than a project x small batch and they are all 100% made in the US down to the custom graphite blends - they make their own it's not made in a slave labor camp in India or China... Probably 50% of the price are the LA taxes.

I have a driver shaft with over 50,000 swings - still like brand new, several other brands are just done after 5000 ish swings.

There have been many great shaft improvements over the past few years, lots of good stuff, but LA golf by far is the most reliable / consistent - you could pick up someone else's driver with the and shaft and the specs are going to be virtually identical - vs hitting a shaft at a fitting a then getting a totally different shaft when you get yours or something that's mislabeled... Another major brand accidentally misprinted am their reg flexs as stiff flex last year. Many other shafts are wildly inconsistent with a few great ones here and there. Go hit a few shafts at 2 different stores, you'll see what I mean.

Cobra ltdx ls driver, cobra speed zone tour 3 & 5 wood, cobra cb irons, tour edge 60* wedge, la golf putter

40 minutes ago, David LD said:

The biggest difference most ppl don't quite grasp is instead of the hand rolled junk shafts your getting machine rolled tour quality shafts and most of them are actually selling at retail for about $150-$300 not $500 - so you san find one for cheaper than a project x small batch and they are all 100% made in the US down to the custom graphite blends - they make their own it's not made in a slave labor camp in India or China... Probably 50% of the price are the LA taxes.

Can you show anything that proves their shafts are machine rolled and there are no hands touching them? Iirc it was only pederson that had no hands touching the production of their shafts.

All companies hand roll the the flags onto the mandrel then out that under a rolling machine to finish the process. I’ve visited two shaft companies and watched the process and also at one of them made my own shaft. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I didn't read all the responses, but I don't think LAgolf is ever really going to elevate from where they are. They are a bit of a mess internally from what I am hearing. They bought a pretty successful putter company to completely scrap it and go almost full carbon in putters. They are pretty ugly and unrefined. Their marketing is all over the place. They tried to do a high-end high-class deal with the first putter release and all the tour pros at a swanky party. That fell on deaf ears so now they have low-brow YouTube commercials. All the while their biggest name stopped playing their driver shaft. 

I do know they are producing shafts for House of Forged shafts for them now. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Look at MyGolfSpy.  Top rated putters are Cleveland and Wilson this year.  Two of the lower cost putters beat out all the others 

Moved from Japan to Hawaii in 2007, Played JDM irons (PRGR ID forged) for many years

2 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I didn't read all the responses, but I don't think LAgolf is ever really going to elevate from where they are. They are a bit of a mess internally from what I am hearing. They bought a pretty successful putter company to completely scrap it and go almost full carbon in putters. They are pretty ugly and unrefined. Their marketing is all over the place. They tried to do a high-end high-class deal with the first putter release and all the tour pros at a swanky party. That fell on deaf ears so now they have low-brow YouTube commercials. All the while their biggest name stopped playing their driver shaft. 

I agree LAGP’s marketing is downright horrible. The street style marketing campaign doesn’t exactly scream high tech and high performance. 

18E3119D-CA8C-4A5B-AE27-8D83F46232D9.jpeg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

2 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

Buyin companies and scraping their product happens all the time in all kinds of industries. They get the patents and IP. 

It’s what TM did with Adams. 

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes, they have an anser and #7 style putter just like most manufacturers.  The $2500 version is a different model.  Aside from the players/investors you mentioned players are using their shafts.  For example Tom Kim who is becoming one of the tours most popular players uses a Cameron putter and LA Golf shaft.   

Shafts is what they are noted for.  

Just now, ChuckZ said:

Shafts is what they are noted for.  

Tom Kim is one of our Brand Ambassadors.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

7 hours ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

I will add that my latest driver fitting proved a LAGP “DJ Signature Series” (and 8* TSR3) was the best option tested for me. I love this new build!
i did also add a LAGP P Series SOHO to my new Evnroll too. 

AC1EA2EF-B8F8-47A7-8698-07E38AEB68CA.jpeg

I tried a EVNRoll putter last year with a Fujikura shaft in it.  Loved the feel of that shaft.  Never could get the feel I liked with the head of the EVNRoll putter.  Seemed a little to heavy for me.  That combination ran over $700.  The shaft is what ran the cost up.  All my drivers, fairways and hybrids have Fujikura shafts.  They just seem to give me the performance and feel that I am looking for.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Why consider buying a putter from a new player in the putter jungle at $450 or even at $1500 when the latest mygolfspy blade putter test has 2 putters at the top of the performance list for less than $200. Ego most likely. There are no bad putters, only poor strokes, save the money and get some putting lessons.

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

Where did the shaft break? Did it actually snap? Did the epoxy between the graphite and steel section fail?  LA Golf putter shafts seems to be appearing in mor tour player putters and I think as more young players come on tour they will continue to grow in usage.   

It broke a couple inches above the steel……graphite break.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

31 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Interesting, First I have ever heard of that happening.  

6 hours ago, CANADA1 said:

Why consider buying a putter from a new player in the putter jungle at $450 or even at $1500 when the latest mygolfspy blade putter test has 2 putters at the top of the performance list for less than $200. Ego most likely. There are no bad putters, only poor strokes, save the money and get some putting lessons.

Man, 1st post since being here from 2011. You must deeply want more people to stop buying clubs and get lessons!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Buyin companies and scraping their product happens all the time in all kinds of industries. They get the patents and IP. 

It’s what TM did with Adams. 

I know. I just dont think in this case the killed a pretty good brand and replaced it with 💩.. Taylormade bought Adams then ran with it and had awesome products. Well, they bought them because they stole IP, then lost a lawsuit and it was cheaper to just buy them then pay the lawsuit. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 2/21/2023 at 7:52 AM, cnosil said:

I’d also add that they are widely used on professional tours so people think there is magical dust that makes them better so they want one. 😁.  

The manufacturers been playing the same cards since day one.  Prop up the initial pricing ( perhaps to recover the cost from sponsoring the Tour players).  Make some noise in the market to announce the presence, either the action received the attention from the consumers or it'll fade away but comes back in another name later.

They play the cards where the golfers favor to seek solution in the equipment.  Why?  Because it's a promise to provide a quicker solution. I believe the industry is gradually shying away from depending on using the image of the professional to sell their products.    This is one of the questions appearing over and over again in various golf related survey, whether the consumer's purchasing be influenced by the branding of professional golfers.  

To survive in this highly competitive and involving players with endless financial backing.  The Boutique outlet will need to find a way to safely expand into the next stage or they will be crushed either doing badly or even successfully ( when supply could not meet the sudden increase in demand, which will kill the business as there was no demand ).

On 2/21/2023 at 7:25 PM, fozcycle said:

On 2/21/2023 at 7:56 PM, cnosil said:

Interesting, First I have ever heard of that happening.  

Obviously there is no way to ever know what would have happened, but my guess is that something happened and even if it had been a steel shaft you'd have ended up with a nice kink in it and an unusable shaft regardless.  I can't see a graphite putter shaft just snapping from regular use, the swing speed is just too slow.  Either that or it was defective in which case I'm thinking you would have felt something off from the get go.

6 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Obviously there is no way to ever know what would have happened, but my guess is that something happened and even if it had been a steel shaft you'd have ended up with a nice kink in it and an unusable shaft regardless.  I can't see a graphite putter shaft just snapping from regular use, the swing speed is just too slow.  Either that or it was defective in which case I'm thinking you would have felt something off from the get go.

Not sure how it broke. I did see it after repairs. H3 took a nylon screw, sawed off the head, then used epoxy and screwed it into the inside of the graphite shaft. It looked a little rough but he could use it.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder