TESTERS WANTED! ×

Q & A with Bodybuilding Golf Pro Michael Manavian

I was asked the following question on a different thread and thought it would make sense to have a specific thread for my opinions. Ask away, and I will do my best to answer.

Hi Manavs

First of all, obviously you are in great shape. I too, let myself go over the last 6 months because the doctor told me to lay off the workouts after my second DVT in my leg. I put on about 30 pounds, and now that i have been cleared, i started P90x and am almost done with the second week. I have done a thread in this section where i am planning on doing updates..etc and telling folks the benefits of the program as I believe that 90 days is a short enough time to get yourself in shape somewhat and continue on from there.

Now, if you dont mind I was wondering if you could take a look at my eating plan(obviously this varies but caloric intake is about the same for each meal) and also if you could recommend a "good" BCAA stack? My goal is to transform my body completely and continue from there. This would probably help others as well. I do appreciate your time.

Wake-Up: 315 am --> Protein Bar or Protein Shake depending on my mood and how late i woke up.

Breakfast 6am --> 1 package of 150 calorie Natures Path organic oatmeal with blueberries and flaxseed oil contained within. (This breakfast never varies)

Mid Morning Snack --> Orange or apple..depends on my mood.

Lunch 10AM --> Chicken Breast, or 2 fillets of baked fish, or sandwich on bread containing turkey or roast beef(approx 6 ounces), 1 slice of cheese, lettuce, onion and guldens mustard. About 12 baby carrot pieces, some cauliflower stalks and celery with a small bit of ranch dressing. Sometimes if they have cooked aspargus i will get that and the veggies.

Mid-afternoon snack --> Orange or apple

Pre workout NO supplement

P90X when i get home

creatine based recovery drink

Dinner(after P90x)--> chicken, or fish or lean flank steak, green beans(usually) and sometimes some rice.

before Bed--> Ceasin Protein shake with skim milk

Should i throw in some more cardio maybe 2 times a week for a 3 mile run or some interval training on the treadmill? I have only lost 2 pounds, but i can feel that my pants feel much better and i can tell that I am definitely becoming a lot more defined up top in m chest shoulders and arms. Is it possible that i lost weight(fat) but gained lean muscle?

Again, thanks!

Joe

BCAA's are very important in order to provide enough of the muscle building Leucine, Iso-leucine and Valine the body needs to repair muscle tissue, as well as maintain lean body mass. The problem with most BCAA's are that they either don't survive the first pass of the liver and the liver converts the BCAA's into whatever it wants - usually glucose - and the other problem is that they have glutamine in them which blocks the same receptors for the BCAA's and you dont get the full value. There are many brands on the market to choose from - make sure they dont have glutamine in them. A good check is to test your blood glucose before and after you take any BCAA supplement and if you get a spike in your glucose level, you;ll be able to tell if your BCAA's got to where they need to get to or didnt.

Overall your diet is pretty good - i would switch out your snacks for either a meal and a shake or 2 meals. can you swing in 6 egg whites in there for the first snack and say a 50g protein isolate for the second?

Keep me posted

Michael

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SPY VIP

Great new thread Michael. Say someone, me, is looking to get fitter and read the above and lost a little in the translation.

Where is a beginning resource to start with?

Not to seem dull, but I feel ready for a nutritional overhaul to go with the gym time.

Thanks

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great new thread Michael. Say someone, me, is looking to get fitter and read the above and lost a little in the translation.

Where is a beginning resource to start with?

Not to seem dull, but I feel ready for a nutritional overhaul to go with the gym time.

Thanks

Thanks Sactown - I think we can have some fun and help a few people out here at the same time.

Sorry to have thrown you for a loop there with the first post. I was answering it in another thread and just jumped right into it.

A beginning resource - lemme ask what are you looking to achieve specifically?

Whatever we can do to help lemme know.

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• SPY VIP

Standard shift of fat mass to muscle mass. Think that I am about 20 pounds off from target. strength is OK, at 41 I can still bench my body weight (like that matters) but I would like to be leaner.

really, overall conditioning to get the body ready for the next 40 years.

When lifting regularly, I gain muscle mass quickly, but the toning never seems to happen, regardless of changing weight/reps and etc.

Currently doing three days of cardio (running/swimming) and light weights. Most of the weights have been sets of various styles on the pulley machine (not sure of official name)

Diet wise, lower carb, very low processed sugars, mainly protein and vegetables.

Without going on and on, I am looking for a change that I can incorporate into the daily routine that will be healthier and lead toward general overall fitness.

Hopefully some of that made sense, kind of rambled...

Volvo Intorqueo

Standard shift of fat mass to muscle mass. Think that I am about 20 pounds off from target. strength is OK, at 41 I can still bench my body weight (like that matters) but I would like to be leaner.

really, overall conditioning to get the body ready for the next 40 years.

When lifting regularly, I gain muscle mass quickly, but the toning never seems to happen, regardless of changing weight/reps and etc.

Currently doing three days of cardio (running/swimming) and light weights. Most of the weights have been sets of various styles on the pulley machine (not sure of official name)

Diet wise, lower carb, very low processed sugars, mainly protein and vegetables.

Without going on and on, I am looking for a change that I can incorporate into the daily routine that will be healthier and lead toward general overall fitness.

Hopefully some of that made sense, kind of rambled...

No worries - I understand.

Lets look at the first thing you said - shift of fat mass to muscle mass. it takes 69 calories to maintain 1 lb of muscle compared to 4 calories for fat. The body is not the United Nations - its not diplomatic - being a conservation unit will in a hypo-aminoacidosis state(low aminos in the bloodstream) cannibalize itself by finding the necessary amino acids by eating away at your muscles if there are aren't enough in the bloodstream. sucks right?

so the first thing to do is ensure that you are eating enough protein throughout the day 1gram per lb of bodyweight at minimum(1.5 if your active - 2 for bodybuilders).

your diet seems good. just a few questions -

are you taking in any essential fatty acids (EFA's)? at minimum 3000mg of omega3 and 2600mg of omega6.

you said lower carb and left out fat intake. you need an energy source. Protein is not an energy source it is a repair nutrient. Carbs and fats (one or the other and usually not both) are energy that are required to fuel the repair process of protein.

with all that being said. I have all my clients clean up their diets for 4 weeks just based on a sound food outline like that above along with training. after that we look at cardio, metabolism (via getting some stimulation to the adrenergic receptors α1, α2, β1, β2, and β3 ), and thyroid function (t3, t4)in that order.

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

In the "golf workout" thread, you mentioned fascia stretching and joint stretching. Can you elaborate on the differences and offer some examples of good fascia stretches? Thanks in advance-

-Matt

Good question - and i will yield to medical experts on this one if they wish to add some scientific explanations to this - til then ill give you my empirical evidence that is very deeply rooted in "bro-science"

tendons and ligaments can be stretched to some degree and provide ample joint motion.

ones muscles are surrounded by a fascia (its like a sack) which holds the muscle. You can only develop your muscles to the degree your fascia can stretch - hence the ill-advised popularity of site injection of oils to expand the fascia from the inside and allow room for the muscle to grow in behind it.

i for one am hyper mobile - and have amazing joint limber-ness, but i have very thick tight fascia.

fascia stretching is uniquely different. it feels like the muscle is tearing not the attachment or insertion points, and is immediately followed by a rush of new blood to the area. it usually helps to have another assist in the stretches but not necessary. having a chiro work their elbow through and along the muscle fibers breaking down the any scar tissue is also very useful.

most deep tissue massages are in fact fascia stretching (if done right should hurt like no other).

for ex - pull your elbow over your head and try to feel the pain in the tricep - not elbow or shoulder but in the muscle itself. take it to the point of pain, then hold it while you exhale and inhale. as you inhale the heart is going to oxygenate new blood and it will rush it to the area but you must hold the stretch thru the breath, and take the stretch further after the breath. 3-4 deep breaths and your exhausted. after the stretch you should feel warmth in the muscle and no joint stretch at all.

make sense bro? lol

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Absolutely makes sense, great explanation. At the risk of being a PITA, can you give me some examples of fascia stretches for the lower body?

Just tried the tricep stretch. That rush at the end is really enjoyable.

Edited by MSaternus

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Good question - and i will yield to medical experts on this one if they wish to add some scientific explanations to this - til then ill give you my empirical evidence that is very deeply rooted in "bro-science"

tendons and ligaments can be stretched to some degree and provide ample joint motion.

ones muscles are surrounded by a fascia (its like a sack) which holds the muscle. You can only develop your muscles to the degree your fascia can stretch - hence the ill-advised popularity of site injection of oils to expand the fascia from the inside and allow room for the muscle to grow in behind it.

i for one am hyper mobile - and have amazing joint limber-ness, but i have very thick tight fascia.

fascia stretching is uniquely different. it feels like the muscle is tearing not the attachment or insertion points, and is immediately followed by a rush of new blood to the area. it usually helps to have another assist in the stretches but not necessary. having a chiro work their elbow through and along the muscle fibers breaking down the any scar tissue is also very useful.

most deep tissue massages are in fact fascia stretching (if done right should hurt like no other).

for ex - pull your elbow over your head and try to feel the pain in the tricep - not elbow or shoulder but in the muscle itself. take it to the point of pain, then hold it while you exhale and inhale. as you inhale the heart is going to oxygenate new blood and it will rush it to the area but you must hold the stretch thru the breath, and take the stretch further after the breath. 3-4 deep breaths and your exhausted. after the stretch you should feel warmth in the muscle and no joint stretch at all.

make sense bro? lol

Is this what the rolfers do too? Not sure of spelling...

Volvo Intorqueo

Absolutely makes sense, great explanation. At the risk of being a PITA, can you give me some examples of fascia stretches for the lower body?

I'll give you a PITA -

put the outiside of your right foot on something stable about 3ft off the ground with a bent knee. then slowly bend your left knee :)

dont forget to repeat the other leg

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I'll give you a PITA -

put the outiside of your right foot on something stable about 3ft off the ground then slowly bend your left knee :D

dont forget to repeat the other leg

Not sure what meets the stable and 3 feet high requirement right now, but I will definitely give this a shot tomorrow. I appreciate the help.

http://www.essortment.com/all/whatisrolfing_rllo.htm

Quick search into this. The fascia manipulation made me think of it

what you sent me is absolutely accurate - good find - ART - active release technique- is another form of therapy that i subscribe to that helps breakup the neuro-muscular connection they discussed.

plain old fascia stretching for the purpose for muscle building and blood volumizing is what i was hinting towards

Not sure what meets the stable and 3 feet high requirement right now, but I will definitely give this a shot tomorrow. I appreciate the help.

oh your gonna take all the fun out of it if you do it tomorrow!

btw i need to clarify the stretch, start with your right knee bend and put the outside of your right food on something stable - like the chair your sitting on =)

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

what you sent me is absolutely accurate - good find - ART - active release technique- is another form of therapy that i subscribe to that helps breakup the neuro-muscular connection they discussed.

plain old fascia stretching for the purpose for muscle building and blood volumizing is what i was hinting towards

oh your gonna take all the fun out of it if you do it tomorrow!

btw i need to clarify the stretch, start with your right knee bend and put the outside of your right food on something stable - like the chair your sitting on =)

The chair I'm sitting on does not qualify - it swivels and leans. But you've convinced me, I'll go find a chair and give this a shot now.

Oh my, that is a PITA, but it feels good. I'm passing on the easy joke there. Question: should I endeavor to get my left foot off the floor? While my left foot is on the floor, should I be focusing my weight on the outside of the right foot?

The chair I'm sitting on does not qualify - it swivels and leans. But you've convinced me, I'll go find a chair and give this a shot now.

Oh my, that is a PITA, but it feels good. I'm passing on the easy joke there. Question: should I endeavor to get my left foot off the floor? While my left foot is on the floor, should I be focusing my weight on the outside of the right foot?

LOL i gotta laugh, that last question is so "golfer like". you will notice though that by positioning your belly button to the right and left you can work that glute stretch along the muscle. the idea is to continue to change the angle and pressure points till youve worked the muscle thoroughly and deeply.

and dont try to lift your left foot off the floor while your right one is elevated - unless your superman, you will fall on and have a BIG PITA =) (but yes, alternate feet)

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

LOL i gotta laugh, that last question is so "golfer like". you will notice though that by positioning your belly button to the right and left you can work that glute stretch along the muscle. the idea is to continue to change the angle and pressure points till youve worked the muscle thoroughly and deeply.

and dont try to lift your left foot off the floor while your right one is elevated - unless your superman, you will fall on and have a BIG PITA =) (but yes, alternate feet)

Great, thank you. Back to the chair.

• SPY VIP

Matt may need to hook up the web cam for this...

Volvo Intorqueo

I was asked the following question on a different thread and thought it would make sense to have a specific thread for my opinions. Ask away, and I will do my best to answer.

BCAA's are very important in order to provide enough of the muscle building Leucine, Iso-leucine and Valine the body needs to repair muscle tissue, as well as maintain lean body mass. The problem with most BCAA's are that they either don't survive the first pass of the liver and the liver converts the BCAA's into whatever it wants - usually glucose - and the other problem is that they have glutamine in them which blocks the same receptors for the BCAA's and you dont get the full value. There are many brands on the market to choose from - make sure they dont have glutamine in them. A good check is to test your blood glucose before and after you take any BCAA supplement and if you get a spike in your glucose level, you;ll be able to tell if your BCAA's got to where they need to get to or didnt.

Overall your diet is pretty good - i would switch out your snacks for either a meal and a shake or 2 meals. can you swing in 6 egg whites in there for the first snack and say a 50g protein isolate for the second?

Keep me posted

Michael

Hi Michael

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. Great idea about making your own thread as well.

I can definitely swing in 6 hard boiled egg whites, The 50 G protein shake shouldnt be an issue. It should just be straight up whey protein isolate correct?

Thanks again, i will take a look at those BCAA's

Joe

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

As someone new to this information, can you post the long form of the abbreviations too so I can follow along?

BCAA's?

Branch Chain Amino Acids - Building blocks of Protein. IM sure Michael can give you a greater answer, but here is a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bcaa.html

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• SPY VIP

Branch Chain Amino Acids - Building blocks of Protein. IM sure Michael can give you a greater answer, but here is a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bcaa.html

Thanks. Are the essential aromatic amino acids not as important for the muscles (phenylalanine and tryptophan). Trp is found in relatively high amounts in turkey. Phe in diet coke. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Hi Michael

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. Great idea about making your own thread as well.

I can definitely swing in 6 hard boiled egg whites, The 50 G protein shake shouldnt be an issue. It should just be straight up whey protein isolate correct?

Thanks again, i will take a look at those BCAA's

Joe

Your welcome Joe and glad your here - to answer your question - id go wth 6 egg whites and eat 2 of the yolks. and then have a 50g protein isolate with a 1/3cup of almonds (any nut will do switch them up), or a tablespoon of a nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter etc).

the fats will slow down the digestion of the proteins, and keep you fuller longer.

Thanks. Are the essential aromatic amino acids not as important for the muscles (phenylalanine and tryptophan). Trp is found in relatively high amounts in turkey. Phe in diet coke. B)

i wouldnt be drinking diet cokes for a source of nutrients lol

the importance of isoleucine, leucine, and valine are the most important for maintaining lean muscle mass 70% of your muscles are made up of the BCAA's. it all depends on your goal really, as an athlete, i want to perform using my muscles at their peak. BCAA's do a lot more than just build muscle, they keep you from going catabolic, and keep your adrenaline, and cortisol (the danger hormones) at bay.

warning science geek stuff below -

“Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise”. J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):269S-73S researchers again validated, “BCAA's (leucine, isoleucine, and valine), particularly leucine, have anabolic effects on protein metabolism by increasing the rate of protein synthesis and decreasing the rate of protein degradation in resting human muscle.”

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• SPY VIP

Your welcome Joe and glad your here - to answer your question - id go wth 6 egg whites and eat 2 of the yolks. and then have a 50g protein isolate with a 1/3cup of almonds (any nut will do switch them up), or a tablespoon of a nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter etc).

the fats will slow down the digestion of the proteins, and keep you fuller longer.

i wouldnt be drinking diet cokes for a source of nutrients lol

the importance of isoleucine, leucine, and valine are the most important for maintaining lean muscle mass 70% of your muscles are made up of the BCAA's. it all depends on your goal really, as an athlete, i want to perform using my muscles at their peak. BCAA's do a lot more than just build muscle, they keep you from going catabolic, and keep your adrenaline, and cortisol (the danger hormones) at bay.

warning science geek stuff below -

“Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise”. J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):269S-73S researchers again validated, “BCAA's (leucine, isoleucine, and valine), particularly leucine, have anabolic effects on protein metabolism by increasing the rate of protein synthesis and decreasing the rate of protein degradation in resting human muscle.”

So say one has a geeky sciencey kind of gig and went to read the journal article cited and found it interesting and wanted more.

Gene expression and regulation of enzymatic rate is a bit of my day to day. I find different expression systems and pathways to be interesting. I had not heard of this effect and I want to find out more.

Maybe a resource/reference list that you have of journal articles.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16365096?ordinalpos=1&itool=PPMCLayout.PPMCAppController.PPMCArticlePage.PPMCPubmedRA&linkpos=5

That aside is it better to seek foods with BCAA's or are supplements required?

Volvo Intorqueo

This thread makes my head hurt, it's high school chemistry all over again.

All this info really does make me want to examine the way I'm eating and shape my diet more carefully. I appreciate all the help.

wow - then you must really not have liked what sactown wrote below lol

So say one has a geeky sciencey kind of gig and went to read the journal article cited and found it interesting and wanted more.

Gene expression and regulation of enzymatic rate is a bit of my day to day. I find different expression systems and pathways to be interesting. I had not heard of this effect and I want to find out more.

Maybe a resource/reference list that you have of journal articles.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.ncbi.nlm....medRA&linkpos=5

That aside is it better to seek foods with BCAA's or are supplements required?

So i guess hypothetically IF someone enjoyed that sciencey geeky type of stuff, it would behoove me to try and get my scientist buddy who is the head of the independent clinical research dept our company hires to validate our products along with show us what is in our competitors products.

He has access to one of the coolest toys ive ever even heard of. Remember the genom project (MIT). he is about to be the director of a major university that is hiring him to teach them how to use it and run the department. the computer tells you with this product, genetically these markers get triggered. so no longer can a person say they failed a drug test because of a tainted product. you tested positive because you took that product and not ours.

also using this tool we can see exactly how a product can help, or harm you. we are releasing shortly a review of how our competitors have a product that is fabricated on lies and mis-truths - i'll keep you all posted for sure.

to answer your question - and thank you for looking into the articles - BCAA's have their place in both athletes and regular people in improving quality of life. The anti-catabolic effect as well as andrenaline and cortisol suppression are just too good to pass up for in between meals. I don't see how one can get enough BCAA's through food.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

So i guess hypothetically IF someone enjoyed that sciencey geeky type of stuff, it would behoove me to try and get my scientist buddy who is the head of the independent clinical research dept our company hires to validate our products along with show us what is in our competitors products.

He has access to one of the coolest toys ive ever even heard of. Remember the genom project (MIT). he is about to be the director of a major university that is hiring him to teach them how to use it and run the department. the computer tells you with this product, genetically these markers get triggered. so no longer can a person say they failed a drug test because of a tainted product. you tested positive because you took that product and not ours.

also using this tool we can see exactly how a product can help, or harm you. we are releasing shortly a review of how our competitors have a product that is fabricated on lies and mis-truths - i'll keep you all posted for sure.

to answer your question - and thank you for looking into the articles - BCAA's have their place in both athletes and regular people in improving quality of life. The anti-catabolic effect as well as andrenaline and cortisol suppression are just too good to pass up for in between meals. I don't see how one can get enough BCAA's through food.

thanks for the link Michael. Now you have me more intriqued about BCAA's.

I am 6'1 and 239(yes p90x does work...its slowly coming off!) and was wondering if this was a decent "ballpark" type figure for the amount of BCAA's one should have daily?

L-Leucine 500 mg

L-Isoleucine 250 mg

L-Valine 250 mg

Does the intake depend on body type and weight?

Thanks as always

Joe

thanks for the link Michael. Now you have me more intriqued about BCAA's.

I am 6'1 and 239(yes p90x does work...its slowly coming off!) and was wondering if this was a decent "ballpark" type figure for the amount of BCAA's one should have daily?

L-Leucine 500 mg

L-Isoleucine 250 mg

L-Valine 250 mg

Does the intake depend on body type and weight?

Thanks as always

Joe

dammit thats above my paygrade. but lemme do some math -

insert another math warning here

lets put it this way - the common suggestion is to put 6-8 scoops of BCAA's in a gallon and drink it throughout the day. 10 for a really huge guy, and 6 for a my female competitors. if you dont want to carry a gallon jug, i say at least drink a serving during training and in the middle of the night to prevent catabolism, additionally have one in between meals.

each scoop has 7 grams of a 2:1:1 mix of BCAA's - so if my math is correct thats -

3,500mg of Leucine

1,750mg of Isoleucine

and 1,750mg of Valine

per scoop

your second question yes - the serving recommendation is by bodyweight as the more lean muscle you have the greater the demand for BCAA's

1 scoop

2 scoops 150-200lbs

3 scoops >200lbs

so your numbers would be more along

10,500mg of Leucine

5,250mg of Isoleucine

and 5,250mg of Valine

per dose

thats some pretty serious muscle building aminos as long as your using forms of aminos that are bioavailable (that should keep you from asking math questions j/k LOL)

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• SPY VIP

to answer your question - and thank you for looking into the articles - BCAA's have their place in both athletes and regular people in improving quality of life. The anti-catabolic effect as well as andrenaline and cortisol suppression are just too good to pass up for in between meals.

This is cool, thanks a bunch. That magazine had all kinds of cool stuff. Accidentally went to page 41 first and read that high intensity cardio goes after muscle not fat after the carbs are gone. Not very intuitive.

I feel like I am about kindergarten with this stuff, but it is fascinating. The tie in with human genome project and gene expression just makes it better for me. If I understand the chemistry, I am more likely to believe in it and do it.

I see what you mean about protein from food not having enough BCAA's to reach the required level. The post below mine (maybe above this one) mentioned specific powders and supplements. At 220 and 21% body fat, how much am I looking at needing and does the supplement vary on gym days vs. non gym days?

Volvo Intorqueo