Manavs

Q & A with Bodybuilding Golf Pro Michael Manavian

Hi Mike,

Over the last couple of years I've let my fitness slip a bit. Between moving farther away from my gym (and office), working longer hours (I basically have 1 full-time job and 2 part-time jobs), and playing a lot more golf (walking whenever the course permits), I don't have the same windows of time I used to. Toss in a one month old and any hope of resuming my old workout routine are out the window (which is more or less counter productive as far as the golf game goes).

All that said, I'm tired of making excuses (and buying bigger pants). The simplest solution, I think, is to supplement my infrequent (realistically 2x a week at best) trips to the gym with some type of daily workout at home. I've looked at treadmill and ellipticals for home, but a quality machine is easily over a grand (probably more) and neither does for flexibility, core strength, or anything else for that matter. I'm a big fan of the gravity machines, but I'm not sold on the Chuck Norris home model, and they don't offer much of a cardio workout.

What I think makes a whole lot of sense space-wise, financially, and in terms of what I'm hoping to achieve (better overall fitness with an emphasis on the "golf muscles") is a kettlebell routine. I was wondering if you had any particular thoughts on a kettlebells both in general, and in terms of golf-specific fitness, or if you had any alternative suggestions for a home-based workout regimen?

Thanks,

T

Lets recap - More golf, 3 jobs, and a newborn - and your trying to fit in your fitness? good luck ! cool.gif

Your in one of those situations where something is better than nothing at this stage. And that something is going to have to be above and beyond what your already doing in any 1 or more of the following three aspects:

- Cardio

- weight training

- nutrition

simply put if you can make ur morning cup of coffee and walk around your neighborhood for 30 mins 3-4x's a week - walk with a brisk pace yes dont run or jog - that will start to burn some fat. And the best part its free.

weight training, if you can do something in your home with a form of resistance be it a weight a band or a kettlebell, the body is going to have to change to accommodate that load. if you do it with some good intensity 3-4x's a week and for 20-30 mins again thats a good start. (also there are no such things as golf muscles, just develop everything not just certain muscles - thats a great way to create an imbalance and mess up your swing)

nutritionally if you were to do none of the above but supplement your diet with 2 additional protein meals of 50g per day via food over the course of 6 months you would indeed dramatically reduce your body composition and increase your lean body mass.

again i am striking at the lowest common denominator. Increase one of these areas and you'll see results, increase 2 or all three now you will speed up the result. the key is your commitment to it not the knowledge behind it.

For example- i have met some really stupid people in the gym over the years that have the most disciplined and dedicated work ethic i have ever witnessed. conversely i have also met on paper some of the smartest brains on the planet that have no idea about discipline or commitment to a goal. point being none of what i say matters in changing a physique if the person cannot make the mental shift from where they are at to where they want to be - and that is all about mental discipline.

good luck and keep us posted.

G'day Manavs, good to see you here buddy. Was wondering. I've noticed some many golfers have a flabby belly; even the fit ones (and however so slightly). I'm not talking about a 'pot belly', just flabby. What would you recommend to keep stomach trim?

G'day Manavs, good to see you here buddy. Was wondering. I've noticed some many golfers have a flabby belly; even the fit ones (and however so slightly). I'm not talking about a 'pot belly', just flabby. What would you recommend to keep stomach trim?

Welcome aboard TTR!!! how are things in AUS treating you?

thats a great question. visceral fat tends to accumulate on top of the muscles under the skin of the abdomen in men. In women it goes to the upper hamstrings, butt/hip area. TIghtening up this area has little to do with sit ups. Its all cardio and diet related. Its the first place fat goes to and the last to come off unfortunately.

adding 30 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week at a low intensity will go a long way in 6-8 weeks time.

Then when you get most of the fat off, you can still hold water under the skin - you can see the abs, but theres still abs - thats predominately water. That water can be manipulated out with properly timed carbohydrates, sodium, and water intake. Basically you have to make the kidneys flush out more water than it thinks it should.

A simple way to test this is to sodium load all your foods for 5 days. add salt to everything for 5 days try to get close to 5000mg/day. you will hold a ton of water these days, and drink 3 gallons of water each of these days. on day 5 drink only 2 gallons, on day 6 cut all your sodium to zero, drink only 1 gallon of distilled h2o, and add in 2-3 sweet potatos to your day's diet . you'll see how amazing and tight your skin will be, and how hard and full your muscles will be from the inside out.

please tell us your experience if you - or anyone decides to do this.smile.gif

also make note - this will not help your golf game as your intentionally dehydrating yourself. but its good for the beach party your going to on the weekend. fortunately we golfers get to wear collard shirts smile.gif

adding 30 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week at a low intensity will go a long way in 6-8 weeks time.

Thanks Manavs. Things in Aus are good.

Btw. perhaps it's a rookie question but what is 'low intensity' cardio? I thought cardio was always some sort of hell for leather type exercise.

Thanks Manavs. Things in Aus are good.

Btw. perhaps it's a rookie question but what is 'low intensity' cardio? I thought cardio was always some sort of hell for leather type exercise.

no not at all - open your door and walk for 15 mins in one direction turn around and walk back in a brisk manner. walk with a purpose. dont run or jog just walk slightly fast.

high intensity cardio would be running up stadium stairs as fast as possible til your heart explodes biggrin.gif

Wow here is one majorly neglected thread.

Lets see here - since I last wrote here, I battled a debilitating injury to my left arm, couldnt and didnt train from 9/20-12/26, lost 20lbs due to a few personal things that went on, and resigned from the company i worked for because i uncovered some unethical behavior.

But don't fret all is good and better than ever - My arm is back in tact and strong as ever. Been training for 6 weeks now and have made bigtime gains and am better than when i stopped training. Weight is back up to where I like it, and I packed up my apt in texas and 'm chasing the dream every day practicing and playing mini tour events across florida. Life is better than just good, its truly great.

Here is a little bit of my progress - (excuse the fisheye of the camera this was not pulled)

http://www.v1golfacademy.com/SwingStore/909F388BB864.mp4

My left forearm/elbow area had a deep knot/spasm/tendonitis developing. I met up with a local A.R.T. active release therapist Dr. Mark Taylor in Frisco, TX, and within 3 sessions i was able to go from not being able to lift a cup of coffee to no pain and weight training in 2 weeks.

With the weight training I had to start back up gradually - first week back I did 3 sets per body part - i felt so weak and pathetic, but knew i had to go thru it. The next week i bumped it up to 5 sets, then 9 sets, then 12, then 15, and now i feel as good as i ever have. I'm not doing my insane 40-50 sets/bodypart (remember i have even done100 sets / bodypart) anymore like i did when i was competing, right now its a very functional goal for my golfish physique.

I started back on a solid diet and jumped back on my supplements and have even surprised myself at how good i feel/look and how quickly the change happened. Im taking daily:

1 Animal Pak - vitamin/mineral

1 Animal Omega Pak - Essential fatty acids

3g Di-Creatine-Malate - a very good creatine

850mg L-Taurine

3g L-Arginine

3g D-Aspartic-Acid - natural testosterone booster

This stack has been nothing but impressive for me and definitely has helped bring me this far.

With the snow covering most of the country i am fortunate and glad that i've got the opportunity presented itself for me to leave the company and peg it. BEST thing to happen to me in 10 years (last time i played was ten years ago lol)

It is winter time and I really want to not only prevent the rust from creeping into my swing but actually increase my clubhead speed before spring. I have heard that the best thing to work on is hip strength, any tips or excercises for this?

Also, I have heard mixed messages about swinging a weighted club, some say it hurts your swing others such as Vijay Sing believe that it is the best golf invention known to man, what do you guys think?

I've found that building up overall upperbody (i.e. triceps, pecs and shoulders) and core strength has helped alot this winter, but hip flexibility is definirely a big one. You could probably find some yoga that would help with that. And with the weighted club, I've found that weighted clubs can help with mechanics but swinging a lightweight club will help increase club head speed.

It is winter time and I really want to not only prevent the rust from creeping into my swing but actually increase my clubhead speed before spring. I have heard that the best thing to work on is hip strength, any tips or excercises for this?

Also, I have heard mixed messages about swinging a weighted club, some say it hurts your swing others such as Vijay Sing believe that it is the best golf invention known to man, what do you guys think?

Well I dont know (or do i care) what others think about weighted clubs. Truth of the matter is that the benefit of a weighted club is that when you swing it off plane it becomes very heavy and unswingable. if you are looking to do more with a weighted club than find plane - ie build some kind of strength/endurance/flexibility - i have some swamp land i'd love to sell ya wink.gif

Regarding hip strength i'll answer below

I've found that building up overall upperbody (i.e. triceps, pecs and shoulders) and core strength has helped alot this winter, but hip flexibility is definirely a big one. You could probably find some yoga that would help with that. And with the weighted club, I've found that weighted clubs can help with mechanics but swinging a lightweight club will help increase club head speed.

btbgolf4 - let me correctly answer Schuyler's question this way.

Lets say you have a jaloppy of a car - an old volkswagen. and you take one piece of that car and replace it with ferrari parts, say the engine, do you now have a ferrari? of course not.

by suggesting to build up upperbody - excluding back and legs which are your two biggest bodyparts, one would be DESTROYING their golf swing, then blaming weight training on this fact, instead of blaming insufficient and incorrect weight training because doing what you suggest CREATES imbalances.

It is these imbalances that throw off a person's golf swing motion.

Personally, i've never tried to increase clubhead speed, rather i;ve always wanted to increase force which is mass times acceleration. if i can increase my muscle mass my contractile strength will increase - in plain english.... all else being equal (which is a different discussion on how you train)....

if i punch you at 125lbs you wont feel it

if i punch you at 190lbs your going to take notice

if i punch you at 250lbs your not getting up

so in review - dont try to increase one piece - having hips that are stronger than the rest of your body will ruin your kinetic chain. what good is a ferrari engine with a volkswagen transmission? aint gonna work - work out and get stronger at every single bodypart - legs, back, shoulders, chest, arms, abs, and more specifically -

legs - quads, hams, abductors, adductors, calves

back - middle back, lats, lower back

shoulders - front delts, side delts, rear delts

chest - upper pec, lower pec, and ribcage work

arms - biceps, and tricep

abs - upper/lower, and serratus

this way EVERYTHING becomes stronger, bigger, faster and you have no weak links... makes sense?

Micheal,

Besides being a golfer, I am also a bowler. I bowl in two leagues a week, plus tournament and practice, so I am probably throwing 300-400 balls a week. I'm right handed and I throw a 15lb ball. My right arm is built up quite a bit more than my left and I'm wanting to even them out for aesthetic purposes. I've been bowling for about 7 years now and during that time, I have been trying to do about 100-150 reps with my left arm on bowling days. I'm in pretty good shape and I'm pretty decent at both sports, so I'm not really wanting to change my workout to gain anything other than some mass in my left arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Micheal,

Besides being a golfer, I am also a bowler. I bowl in two leagues a week, plus tournament and practice, so I am probably throwing 300-400 balls a week. I'm right handed and I throw a 15lb ball. My right arm is built up quite a bit more than my left and I'm wanting to even them out for aesthetic purposes. I've been bowling for about 7 years now and during that time, I have been trying to do about 100-150 reps with my left arm on bowling days. I'm in pretty good shape and I'm pretty decent at both sports, so I'm not really wanting to change my workout to gain anything other than some mass in my left arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the question. Good one at that. The short suggested answer from me is don't bother. You've done all this work with one arm that by the time you made up the lag time with the other arm it wouldn't make sense nor would it benefit either sport.

But nevertheless to equalize each arm you would have to do to the left arm what you did to the right, which is to work it. What you've done as well is created new nerve pathways from your brain to your arm. Ingraining that motion. You could spend seven years bowling left handed, or you could train the left arm in similar bowling motions. Throw a 20lb ball or heavier left handed . Not for score just for reps. Remember you didn't overdevelop your right thru exercise.

Imo your going to do more harm than good to your game by building up your left. You've gotten good at bowling and golf and have created a pattern for both. If you build up your left arm your going to throw that balance off kilter. Instead just work everything you have symmetrically from here forward in order not to throw off your swing patterns.

Make sense?

Thanks for the question. Good one at that. The short suggested answer from me is don't bother. You've done all this work with one arm that by the time you made up the lag time with the other arm it wouldn't make sense nor would it benefit either sport.

But nevertheless to equalize each arm you would have to do to the left arm what you did to the right, which is to work it. What you've done as well is created new nerve pathways from your brain to your arm. Ingraining that motion. You could spend seven years bowling left handed, or you could train the left arm in similar bowling motions. Throw a 20lb ball or heavier left handed . Not for score just for reps. Remember you didn't overdevelop your right thru exercise.

Imo your going to do more harm than good to your game by building up your left. You've gotten good at bowling and golf and have created a pattern for both. If you build up your left arm your going to throw that balance off kilter. Instead just work everything you have symmetrically from here forward in order not to throw off your swing patterns.

Make sense?

just to add a little to the above. given that you dont mind throwing off your body's reflex motion in the golf swing and bowling action - and desire to build up the arm independent of the left. focus both on the tricep and biceps. Triceps - push downs with rope, reverse (palm up) grip, and overhead. Biceps - standing curl, concentration curl, incline bench db curl.

i prefer higher rep schemes 20-25 reps to get that blood flow to the extremities. 3-5 sets per exercise 2x-3x/week to start. dont care about the weight as of yet, but make it pretty moderate that your crying when you hit 20 and the last 5 are forced.

keep us posted.biggrin.gif

I had actually thought about bowling left handed, but I was afraid that would get my mechanics off. I will try what you have suggested and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

I had actually thought about bowling left handed, but I was afraid that would get my mechanics off. I will try what you have suggested and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

JBones - just to reiterate - your at a stage where its going to be one or the other. if your going for aesthetics which you say you are, your actions may suffer with both left handed bowling, and single arm training.

the way things wont suffer - is if you build everything up from your current state. ex: if your left arm is 15" and your right is 17" making your left 16" and right 18" is going to help you more than bringing up the left to equal to the right. (this point is my cornerstone piece)

Wanted to share this email I just got from some random tool bag - mind you that I have no idea who he is.

For some reason beyond my grasp I'm assuming he feels better emailing strangers about his viewpoints lmao

>

> On Mar 31, 2011 7:18 PM, "charl rogers" wrote:

> >

> > This is bullshit man. gold is a sport which means you need many factors of fitness, flexibility, power, functional training, cv, plyometrics and so on, also golf is a sport unlike bodybuilding where steroids are not allowed. there is a reason your not on tour and i am and camilo is too that we are on main tours pga or challange tour in europe but bodybuilding has no aid to help in golf.

Just wanted to update this thread as its been a while. ive been having a good summer working and saving money for the winter as i'm planning a fla trip to play some mini tour events. because of that i've decided to work on the physique and golf swing, concentrating on getting the most i can out of whenever I do play, as playing in an event is pretty much stupid right now as i'm no where near as prepared as i like to be.

having said that i've been seeing some fantastic results the few times I have been playing. My driver situation was quite a fiasco caving in 2 heads and getting a new one that was a dud. Having had to rely on my iron game its really performed and i can say that i've been really rolling the rock nicely on the intended line.

What is not sharp is the wedge game. around the greens, half shots, yardages which i believe should be easy up and downs to gimme distances are far from accurate. I did swap out my CG 12's for the CG 15 DSG's with conforming grooves and just havent really found them to be easy to adjust to.

My playing partners yesterday asked me a question about yardages that turned into a discussion about how to play flyers and how the hell to pull the right club for that? and seriously its become a crazy issue as i can throttle up or down quite a bit based on whats in front of me.

And this being Tiger's return week at Firestone - I remember him hitting some 180yard pitching wedges out of the thick rough on 18 with legs-a-flailing on the follow thru - so what better time than now to talk FLYERS!!!! sorry philly fans not that kind

Since we dont live in a bubble and hit off mats to perfect locations, in the real world numbers can go whacky so file this under dont try this at home if your scared of new ideas.

to start I always go through a little mental checklist on the tee box -

Question 1 - what the hell is this hole? (thats exactly how i say it lol ) and usually the answer is a par 3/4/5 followed by gosh this this stupid/great, after insulting/praising the designer/architect/superintendent on their choices.

Followed by trying to make a decision on whats the goal here is - which is whats the ideal way to give myself a putt for the lowest score? not necessarily a birdie or eagle - but sometimes i'll play for par or bogey as thats all i'll need on a hole. if a pin is cut on a stupid ridge that needs a windmill to complete it, then yeah, i'm trying to lag this putt to not 3 putt and get out of dodge!

So this becomes tricky as your bombarded with stew full of variables that to go into one side of an equation that your trying to balance out with on the other being the move your going to make.

Again, i have a checklist.

How's the lie? in this case its a flyer in the rough

how far? in yards (preferably =)) 188pin 172 front 195 back

wheres the wind coming from? 6:30 not quite 7 - (analog clockcool.gif)

how hard is the wind blowing? low - rather than medium? hard? stupid hard?

From here where do we want to favor our shot - short vs long, right or left

from here next up i narrow down and envision the shot shape to give me the best result - high/med/low traj and draw/fade/straight.

beautiful got all that? so real world example, yesterday straightaway par 5 of 550 yards, tee shot into a slightly up hill landing area. Obnoxious hole as it was envisioned to be played as a 3 shot hole with a 245yd tee shot - no thank you. so plan A is to rip driver down the right side with a little turn over to give myself an opportunity to get there in two - check - I hit it good and it hits some hardpan in the rough and trundles a little way and I have left 188 yards to the middle of the green - blind shot 195 back edge 170 front edge. And as we said a bit of a flyer, a slight low helping drift of some wind coming from about 6:30. there is trouble long and left and since i'm on the 1st cut on the right side i'm coming into the hold from a bit of an angle.

I throw that all into the database and out spits out smooth 7 or hard 8iron. figuring i can hit a high jumper, that because of the flyer will go a little more and not spin when it lands, i can use that to my advantage to get to the front of the green with either, I know I dont want to go over. So i choose the 8iron thinking its safe and i've got to jump on it with a high thrust rate. ok lets go -

i flush it and hit it 193 yards to the back edge of the green and because it came in high it stopped on a dime.

now - lets contemplate some of the other options i had - should i have taken a 9 iron to get to the front of the green? or hit a stock 7? personally neither one works for me - the 9 wouldve hit on the front and spun like hell off the front, and the 7 would not have landed as softly nor as vertically to stop and would have bounced over the green.

this is an important step - you think an 8 iron i shouldnt be happy with hitting it 45 past the hole? yes eagle would be nice but a 2 putt birdie is really ok when you realize that hey its the right club and yes, i hit it a twinge too hard, but i played the percentages and it was the safer play. this is a tweaner club for that shot.

but Manavs i dont hit the bejeezes out of it as far as you do? understood, but i guess this is really a lesson on how to hit a flyer on purpose. i cant tell you how many times ive seen amateurs try to hit fw woods out of rough from 200+ yards away, when if they have any type of a decent swing they should stick to a pw, 9i or 8i and try to jump on it and hit it 140 yards and have run it 30. and for those people who cannot hit a 140 yard shot with either a pw/9i/or 8i are playing the wrong sets of tees if they have 200 yards left!!!!! play it forward people PLEASE!!!!

another example two weeks ago i'm playing with a fellow professional on a long par 5 i've got 220 from the middle of the fw to a pin tucked left, and am assuming 200 to the front edge. green runs front left to back right, it is pitched towards us. over the green is death, short of the green is a firmish landing area and a bunker front right. there is only 5 yards to run up this shot and the green is guarded by trees right and left.

I pull a 7 iron and get a stupid look out of him like, what am i doing? so i explain the plan here is to run it up with a low hooking 7 iron. he's arguing fly a 6 iron to the middle of the green and two putt it. though i see his logic, i completely take both scores of 3 and 7 out of the equation with my play and will make a 4/5/6 at worst with the 7iron. taking the 6iron i bring in 3 but also bring in over the green 7.

having said that, from a great lie in the fairway that has not been mown that day -so less contact with the ball = less spin - what do ya know, i have a whisper of a flyer. i take the 7 iron and play a high thrust low blistered draw that lands 190 runs up to the 4 yards short of the green. i couldnt believe it stopped so quick with that trajectory (it was wetter than i thought) and hit a straight forward chip to tap in range.

i share these 2 stories as i think next time your confronted with a long shot out of a seemingly difficult flyer lie from 200+ yards out - take a 2-4 clubs less than you may normally do off say a tee or off the fairway, and instead of trying to hit a miraculous 4 iron out of 3 inches of rough, try hitting a hard going nuke that lands 3/4s of the way and run it to the front edge. you may be surprised by the results

Thanks....like an idiot, I'll take those pics to the store and look for those in person. :D

:lol: