Manavs

Q & A with Bodybuilding Golf Pro Michael Manavian

Hi Michael,

Seeing all this great info (which at the same makes my head spin) motivates me to do something for my golf game as well.

Like you mentioned in the other thread, I should either change my driver head or go to the gym to avoid the miserable 270 yard drives :D

I'm 27 years old, 5'11 and about 204lbs. Used to work out at the gym 4 times a week during college. Now with a wife, a job and golf... it's just hard to find the time.

So went from defined arms, pecs and abs to big fat beer belly :D

Breakfast: 1 egg, 2 slices of bread with turkey ham and cheese.

Morning snack: ham/cheese sandwich

Lunch: rice or bread with some kind of meat and vegetables.

Afternoon snack: fruits

Dinner: same as lunch (sometimes try to skip the carbs and just have proteins with vegetables)

My goal? First priority is to lose the fat and gaining more power would be an added bonus.

All I got at home is a set of 44lbs dumbbells. What kind of cardio would you recommend?

Thanks!

I see that your in Germany so forgive me that what your asking may have been lost in translation - but youve given me all that info and all you want to know is what kind of cardio do i recommend??? am i duplicating your question correctly?

Stupid Google translate! :P

My questions are:

What work out program would you recommend for losing the extra pounds?

I read you mentioned low and high intensity cardio work outs, do they have different uses/goals?

Stupid Google translate! :P

My questions are:

What work out program would you recommend for losing the extra pounds?

I read you mentioned low and high intensity cardio work outs, do they have different uses/goals?

for someone starting back into exercise after a layoff the heart and lungs need to be improved so that they can handle the load of more intense weight training down the road. for this reason, Id suggest the weight training progression in my book (hint hint), but if you want a home workout program, to drop body fat and increase endurance - the spartacus one is very good at the hardest of levels. http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/index.php

good luck with that.

yes - low intensity cardio burns exclusively fat, and high intensity improves heart and lung function/capacity, but burns more glycogen than fat. it all depends on your goals and where you are in your current level.

Thanks for the feedback Michael.

If I understand correctly, you are supposed to do the 10 stations 3 times, correct?

And the whole thing 3 times a week.

How would you go combining a 30min low intensity cardio with the Spartacus?

Maybe 1 rep and 30min cardio?

Or 3 rep and 10min cardio?

I guess 3 reps and 30min cardio would be the best... but assuming I don't have the time for it... wondering what would be the most effective combination.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback Michael.

If I understand correctly, you are supposed to do the 10 stations 3 times, correct?

And the whole thing 3 times a week.

yes

How would you go combining a 30min low intensity cardio with the Spartacus?

you would do the spartacus monday wednesday and friday and do 30 mins of low intensity tues/thurs/sat

Maybe 1 rep and 30min cardio?

Or 3 rep and 10min cardio?

i dont understand this

I guess 3 reps and 30min cardio would be the best... but assuming I don't have the time for it... wondering what would be the most effective combination.

Thanks!

assuming you dont have 30 mins a day 6 days a week to get in shape - you shouldnt expect to get in shape. my advise to those people not looking to get in shape is to eat these

hohos.jpg

and drink plenty of these

beer_mug.jpg

hell thats what id do cool.gif

Got it! Will do the 3 days Spartacus and 3 days low intensity cardio.

Lucky I don't like sweets... but the beer oh man the beer! :(

quick update everyone. Just got word from taylormade that they are going to hook me up with some personal use clubs.

random question to anyone, is there a difference in ball speed between my R7 TP irons to the new forged MC or forged MB?

I am leaning towards the MB's but want to make sure they'll play similar

I'd go with the new R11 irons if they're hooking u up. Hit a friend's set a few days ago with the new TT Monacos in them and they were the cat's meow.

I saw them yesterday they look good, too big, too offset for my liking.

I'm considering a mix set.2-6 MC , 7-pw MB

I'd go with the new R11 irons if they're hooking u up. Hit a friend's set a few days ago with the new TT Monacos in them and they were the cat's meow.

well i was able to stop into a local store that has a foresight launch monitor - btw i think these are awesome monitors - and test out the TM MB's and MC's side by side. Well after plenty of warming up and swings, below are the results of my findings.

so who thinks which is which? same shaft, one head is offset and one head is slightly less. Now the shaft did not fit me though it was a rifle project x, it was a flighted version, way to soft 6.5flex and standard length. (i play 7.5 plus 1 inch) so directionally i could care less.

All i was looking for was if i lost ball speed with the forged irons and if the new grooves made any significant difference in comparison to my current r7 tp's.

important categories -

ball speed to clubhead speed

launch angle

spin rate

total height

ballspeeeds.jpg

Just got confirmation from TM - getting irons shipped out 9/9. Totally stoked - getting the MC in the 3-6, MB's in the 7-9,PW, and the xft wedges. Project X shafts.

biggrin.gif