TESTERS WANTED! ×

How has your play style changed over the years?

pmak

Golf courses, equipment, even your body has probably changed throughout your golf career. Did your golf play style ever change?

Did you go from bomb and gauge to laying up to a comfortable yardage? Did you go from hitting all nine shots to stock shotting a course to death?

Curious to see how members' games have evolved, and whether it made an improvement or maybe setback.

I'll kick off the thread with my own experiences! I started playing when I was around 7, and had Tiger and Phil as my idols.

Shot wise, I started out how most kids do, with a big hook swing to hit the ball as far as possible. Through the junior years with lessons, I tamed that to a nice, reliable stock draw that served me quite well.

Short game wise, I definitely tried to imitate Phil and hit flop shots from everywhere. I actually got pretty good at it, and bump and runs were just not in my dictionary 😂.

Fast forward to the late teens early twenties, I'm not sure if it was watching Tiger shape shots on TV, or having the ball spin less with new equipment, but I started learning to work the ball every which way to attack pins. My stock draw just wouldn't hold greens as well, so I had to learn the soft fade. I definitely had a lot more fun doing that though. No better feeling than perfectly carving a shot into a tucked pin! Did I shot side myself more often than hit the green? You bet. But I can't say I didn't have the flop shot to bail me out 😅.

Nowadays with a full time job and much less practice time, I've been trying to play a bit more smart. I read up on DECADE intro stuff, and now am trying to get back to a nice reliable shot shape to hit the centre of those greens. Similarly with short game, I just don't have the hands anymore, so I've forced myself to learn the bump and runs and soft pitch shots with a variety of different clubs. I'll say that my short game is probably a lot more reliable now as I'm just making smarter shot choices.

I was a slicer and now play a draw. That is the biggest change, but from a play style standpoint I think I just play smarter and have a better knowledge of my game and what I can actually pull off. 

I went more from a hit and hope type player to a knowledgeable and patient player. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My game has evolved multiple times over the last 50 years and sometimes even for the better!  😃

My younger years were the "grip it and rip it" method and presently I use the "swing so it don't hurt"method.  

I still try to work the ball with less success than before but mostly I play the shot shape the swing is producing that day.  I think my 100 yard and less wedge game is more consistent than ever as is my driver.  My putting is a lot more streaky than ever, I think because of eyesight changes that I haven't figured out.

Equipment changes have helped minimize loss in yardage recently but I have had about 40 yards in the driver and  two club lengths in the irons erode over the years.  The 2 & 3 irons have been replaced by hybrids and the 4i could be on the endangered list too.

I am still trying to shoot a good score in the 70's and the game is still fun at this point but I can see myself playing less as my ability to pull off shots lessens and my scores increase.  Maybe as I lose that ability my expectations will drop accordingly and I'll still find it fun enough to keep playing. 

I think its more likely I'll be like somebody I knew back in the early years of my golf journey.  He would just hit balls on the range or go on the course in the evening to hit a few balls from different spots into the greens.  He had a club membership but never played a regular round because he couldn't score like his younger days and that frustrated him too much.  He still enjoyed hitting shots and did a lot of that in practice mode.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’ve never been a bomber. Over the years, I have relied mostly on my ability to hit fairways and I had no problem hitting 3 wood off every tee. Several years ago, I realized that if I wanted to get better, I was going to have to learn to hit driver consistently because I was giving up too much distance. I have gone from hitting a reliable fade to a less-reliable draw, but I make up for it with the shorter clubs I now hit into greens (technology has helped as well). I have also tried to develop a stock iron shot, but found I am better (and happier) when I allow myself to play with whatever swing I brought to the course that day. In sum, I’m longer, less accurate, and more flexible in my shot selection than I used to be. 

My game has evolved largely related to better course management practices and trying to simplify my game.  Stock full swings, standard/basic short game shots, picking better targets.  DECADE strategies are my go to model.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have changed a lot in the 9-10 years of consistent playing.

I have gone from trying to crush the ball and occasionally getting a bomb and then wondering why it wasn’t consistent and having a poor overall game. Drinking on the course and really just messing around to now where I’m trying to consistently learn and have a goal on the course. I have some beverages on the course but it’s rarely more than 2 of anything and prefer packing my snack, an electrolyte water and walking. A lot has changed and not just my play. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I was never a big hitter, starting out at age 45... slice here, pull left there and maybe a straight one.  After a swing change I was a lot straighter, but still not very far.  I'm still working on my swing to get rid of some flaws.  

I tended to focus a lot on short game, and it continues to be a strength.  Prior to 7 years ago, I could not hit out of bunkers.  Now I will actually aim at pins close to bunkers if the "safe shot" to the middle of the green could result in a certain 3-putt or worse.  When my short game is on, I can score; if not, rounds are in the 80's.  

I did move up a tee box last spring as a birthday present for turning 75, but I will also say that equipment changes over the past few years has helped me not lose the yardage I expected and may have slightly increased it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great thread and question.

For me, with two young kids, I have realized the days of practicing a ton are behind me (for now).  With that, I have have given up on lessons and focused on playing with the swing I have.  I am a 2.8 handicap at the moment so it's obviously I have a good swing.  I have spend years getting lessons, talking to fitters, watching educational videos, etc that I know the cause and effect of the golf swing.  I understand the ball flight laws and the swing dynamics necessary to hit certain shots.  I also understand the mechanics of what causes my bad shots.

So now my approach is to just have fun and play good golf.  Playing golf and not worrying about my swing.  If I have a bad shot or hole, I digest the information and move on to the next one.  I would say I have lowered my expectations quite a bit, and with that I am actually playing better golf.  I try more interesting shots when the scenario calls for it and I take my medicine in getting out of trouble when necessary.  I am not chasing a handicap or score anymore and I love it. 

The great side effect has been that I am playing the best and most consistent golf of my life

25 minutes ago, G56744 said:

At the risk of sounding clueless, what is a DECADE strategy?

In simple terms, DECADE is a system developed based on Strokes Gained concepts.  As I understand it, the system helps you make decisions based on data previously obtained on your own shot patterns.  The Strokes Gained concepts generally encourage a player to get as close to the green as reasonable possible on every shot, while at the same time limiting the risk of serious stroke losses due to penalties or woods or any other "disastrous" shot result..

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

10 hours ago, pmak said:

Golf courses, equipment, even your body has probably changed throughout your golf career. Did your golf play style ever change?

Did you go from bomb and gauge to laying up to a comfortable yardage? Did you go from hitting all nine shots to stock shotting a course to death?

Curious to see how members' games have evolved, and whether it made an improvement or maybe setback.

what a fun adventure this game of golf has been for me over the decades, I started playing in 1966 and competitively in 1970. I grew up in a small town with a 9 hole course which is still there, a short course but very tight so with equipment the way it was and the tight course I grew up hitting the ball on very straight lines which I do to this day, so that hasn't changed, I have always enjoyed and cherished the friendships and social part of the game, that hasn't changed for me, I have always enjoyed the competitive part of the game, that hasn't changed, the number one thing that has changed is my decision to get swing and mental coaching and that has only been the last 8 years. 

I have never had such a low index in my career as I have in the past 5 years so a big improvement there, in summary, my style hasn't changed, I dont lay up to a comfortable yardage anymore I try and get as close to the green as possible, i still hit all 9 shots or more, and I have evolved to a  better game, thanks for the post...

committed to performance excellence

I know I used to play a draw as a kid & thru my college years.  It's slowly turned into a fade.  Guess it's because of my growing beer gut 😆  but I've learned to live with it.  It's either straight or a slight fade ... a draw is no longer in my repertoire  LOL  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I started playing when I was about 3-4 (Dad's a retired PGA Pro). I grew up in the Jack/Gary/Mr. Palmer era and they were amazing. I wanted to play like Lanny Wadkins/Seve/Phil... you get the idea. 

I had no fear on the course and would go for anything that was POSSIBLY doable. I was playing and practicing a LOT more often and actually had a decent game. Since then, I've gotten more into course management and doing the least amount of damage(for the most part) possible. 

Since then, life has happened and I've gotten older(thankfully) and my distances have lessened. So to attempt to counteract that, I work more on the iron/short game/putting aspects to try and keep my scores/handicap somewhat respectable.

I use a percentage rating on my shots. If I could pull it off 25% of the time- I'd give it a try, knowing that my short game could save me. Anymore, I'm in the 60-70% range. I DO occasionally regress and start to believe my own press releases and try to pull off shots that I shouldn't and sometimes they actually work- but obviously, not all the time.

Everything in the game has gotten better- courses/ equipment and I think it's great. It seems to me that it's evening out the playing field(so to speak).

I CAN say that I'm fighting Father Time with everything I've got, enjoying every minute on the course- but I think he's gonna win in the end- but I'm gonna go out swingin'

Edited by Merlin1313

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

1 hour ago, G56744 said:

At the risk of sounding clueless, what is a DECADE strategy?

Some others have posted some basics.   Yes it leverages strokes gained concepts.  It is a system developed by Scott Fawcett that stands for:  Distance, Expectation, Correct Target, Analyze, Discipline, Execute.  He has some videos on his YouTube channel that discuss the concepts.  Pretty sure you can also still get a free month to learn more.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... I started playing at 33 yrs old and I haven't changed much. Starting out with MB's, Persimmon woods and Balata balls I had to learn to control the flight which meant hitting it far came down the road. It is still down the road. 🤪  Players starting out with 460cc forgiving drivers and low spin balls could hit it as far as possible then learn control so a different game for them. 

... I have basically only changed 2 things, one physical and one mental. After dropping to around a 10 and stalling it was clear I needed to learn to flight my wedges lower as well as develop a reliable knock down shot. These improvements made a huge difference in my ability to score. The 2nd change was following Mark Brodies always hit it as far as possible and don't lay up when I couldn't reach the green. Another jump in my scoring and got me to a + index. While my swing has gone through transitions after 2 back surgeries it is still very similar to my original swing, especially tempo. The only thing that has never changed at all is my putting stroke. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I have slowly gotten better over the past few years and the main change is I feel like I get more conservative the better I get (could be the two are related). Usually aim for the center of the green and away from trouble off the tee. I spend time on "strategy" by looking at landing zones in fairways and green sizes and taking into account how often I miss and from where etc. So if the landing zone (room between hazards/OB/super thick trees) is less than 45 yds, I don't hit driver. I find even as my driver dispersion has improved, I hit driver less and less on course. A 340 yd par 4 can be played Driver + SW or 5i + 9i and more often than not I am shading toward the side of 5i + 9i. But I also play golf courses shorter than I used to (this is a personal choice) because I like having that aforementioned option to hit an iron off the tee and still be able to comfortably reach some par 4s. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

13 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Great thread and question.

For me, with two young kids, I have realized the days of practicing a ton are behind me (for now).  With that, I have have given up on lessons and focused on playing with the swing I have.  I am a 2.8 handicap at the moment so it's obviously I have a good swing.  I have spend years getting lessons, talking to fitters, watching educational videos, etc that I know the cause and effect of the golf swing.  I understand the ball flight laws and the swing dynamics necessary to hit certain shots.  I also understand the mechanics of what causes my bad shots.

So now my approach is to just have fun and play good golf.  Playing golf and not worrying about my swing.  If I have a bad shot or hole, I digest the information and move on to the next one.  I would say I have lowered my expectations quite a bit, and with that I am actually playing better golf.  I try more interesting shots when the scenario calls for it and I take my medicine in getting out of trouble when necessary.  I am not chasing a handicap or score anymore and I love it. 

The great side effect has been that I am playing the best and most consistent golf of my life

Underrated part of growing up: remembering that this is a game and it's supposed to be fun! I burnt myself out early playing junior tournaments and not playing up to my (possibly unrealistic) expectations. Now that I can only afford to play weekends, I try to enjoy my time out there with friends as much as possible

8 hours ago, vandyland said:

I have slowly gotten better over the past few years and the main change is I feel like I get more conservative the better I get (could be the two are related). Usually aim for the center of the green and away from trouble off the tee. I spend time on "strategy" by looking at landing zones in fairways and green sizes and taking into account how often I miss and from where etc. So if the landing zone (room between hazards/OB/super thick trees) is less than 45 yds, I don't hit driver. I find even as my driver dispersion has improved, I hit driver less and less on course. A 340 yd par 4 can be played Driver + SW or 5i + 9i and more often than not I am shading toward the side of 5i + 9i. But I also play golf courses shorter than I used to (this is a personal choice) because I like having that aforementioned option to hit an iron off the tee and still be able to comfortably reach some par 4s. 

Do you use any system to track your shots like Arccos, for example? I've never done that myself, but seems like it'd be nice to collect that data to tell you objectively what your tendencies are and where you would aim in the future for your aforementioned landing zones.

10 hours ago, pmak said:

Do you use any system to track your shots like Arccos, for example?

I use the Taylormade app "MyTaylormade+" which I use to track my rounds. It is a GPS app where you can tag all your shots and get stats and strokes gained. Over my last 15 rounds I am only positive strokes gained on driving (+0.2) and I am negative strokes gained everywhere else short game (-1.0), putting (-1.0) and approach (-0.4). That is a little misleading since my baseline is a scratch golfer. I am always going to lose strokes there but it shows me my putting and short game are holding me back. What is also interesting is the app shows me that I gain 1.1 strokes when using my driver and I lose 0.8 strokes anytime I use anything else off the tee. 

The app also shows me general stats like:

Fairways hit - 41% of fairways hit with misses left being 17% and misses right being 41% and avg driving distance of 277 yds
Greens in Reg - 65% with avg proximity to hole of 30 ft with green misses being left (19%), Long (16%), Right (21%) and short (24%)
Sand Saves - 43%
Putts per round - 33

And par 3/4/5 performance - I average 3.35 on par 3s, 4.13 on par 4s and 5.0 on par 5s (guess I need to do better on par 3s!)

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 2/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, Shapotomous said:

My younger years were the "grip it and rip it" method and presently I use the "swing so it don't hurt"method.  

I hear ya!

I have lost distance in the last 3 years. I'm 63. I was never what I would call a big hitter, but I could consistently bust the driver 260+. My 7 iron (34*) was 155+. I have probably lost an average of 10 or more yards across the board with every club. 

I have a bad shoulder, finickiy back and a bad right ankle. These days I swing slow and smooth. I'm hoping to get some game back this coming season by learning how to play a more accurate game because I no longer can hit driver - 8 or less irons/wedges into greens.

Edited by silver & black
Spelling
On 2/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, Shapotomous said:

I am still trying to shoot a good score in the 70's and the game is still fun at this point but I can see myself playing less as my ability to pull off shots lessens and my scores increase.  Maybe as I lose that ability my expectations will drop accordingly and I'll still find it fun enough to keep playing. 

I hear ya but I really hope that you do continue to enjoy the game and just play for the fun and for the memories that were provided.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I've been playing since I was 10 or so. I believe that as I have gotten older, I have taken the game more seriously. I have the time to practice more, so I do. I concentrate more on my short game and approach shots. Even if I'm not on the course, I enjoy hitting balls. At the local park I hit unto unoccupied ball diamonds from 100-150 yards away and pick targets such as 2nd base then 3rd base. Pick trees out and use their shade outline to be my target green.  I take myself seriously but don't try to get too excited when I blow a shot. I have to admit I do enjoy the game and the ability to just go out and enjoy God's world.  I've lost the ability to see as well as before and certainly hit as far as I used to. Thank goodness for the concept of moving up on tee boxes.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I know I said it before, but I certainly show a lot more restraint on the course. It is incredible how knowledge and just education of your own personal game and abilities changes your play style. Of course I have stupid I can do this impossible shot, but I have learned how to take punches on the course and just play smarter. I also don't get as upset or frustrated. I still get annoyed and know I can play better, but my time on the course can be limited so I do the best I can to enjoy it and play well each hole and shot by having a short memory. 

Putting for me has taken my game to a new level. It is incredible my confidence there on the greens and how that has developed over the years. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Yeah, I've changed quite a bit.

1° I now think about avoiding bad misses more than attacking the good places.

2° I take lies into account in my shot selection and therefore accept bogeys to avoid doubles

3° I look at the hole, not the ball, when putting so my distance control as improved massively (and surprisingly so has my quality of strike).

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

Yes, My shot shape has went from a 90 yard slice to a baby draw or fade. with the driver.

I try bomb it whenever possible, and get as close as possible to the hole.  No laying up to 100 or whatever.

I've also learned how to hit partial shots with all my wedges. 8, 9, 10 o'clock and full.  I know my carry distances with them and all my clubs.

I'm the most aggressive I've ever been, and my scores are dropping.

Track everything with garmin in the summer.  And on the Simulator Golf tour in the winter.

Edited by Shifty

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

My game and swing has changed quite a bit over the last 10/15 years.  At this point my body dictates how I swing both in terms of style and speed.  I have had to move up regarding tee box and that deflated my ego for a while but not so much anymore -- might as well be realistic and face the fact of who I am.  I continue to be nearly addicted (maybe not nearly but actually) to the game or maybe more just the activity.  I had spinal fusion surgery over the winter so we'll see how that has changed things but I have gotten good at accepting what is and moving on.  All one can do is try to be the best one can be and then work with that.  Do to problems with my back I haven't been able to walk or play 18 for a number of years but at least I can get out on the course most days and chase the ball around while enjoying being nature and occasionally hitting a good shot.  And I must admit that it is fun to out score some of the young bombers I get paired up with : ) 

On 2/23/2023 at 4:10 PM, silver & black said:

II have a bad shoulder, finickiy back and a bad right ankle. These days I swing slow and smooth. I'm hoping to get some game back this coming season by learning how o play a more accurate game because I no longer can hit driver - 8 or less irons/wedges into greens.

Man, it sucks getting "older". I think you have the right approach. Swing with in yourself and "enjoy" the game. You have earned and deserve it. Enjoy. I remember my dad telling me when I was a small golfer that I spent almost as much time chasing butterflies as I did watching my own balls fly.  I'm starting to catch myself stopping and watching butterflies or the geese. What comes around...

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet