Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Stretching before a round or range session

A while back I was watching some show on the Golf Channel and they asked Tom Watson the question, "If you only had 15 minutes before your tee time, what would you do?" Watson said he would go do his stretches over going to the driving range or putting green.

I think this is one of the best benefits of the Orange whip, it helps stretches a lot of your upper core muscles. I've found through testing that I gain probably around 2-5mph on my swing if I stretch before lifting a club and it's now part of my routine. It looks goofy, but (at least perceived) results show high swing speeds, better ball control, and in general a less tense swing.

Here's a set of stretches I found just now that I may try out:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/golf-stretches/SM00089

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask this question to our lower handicappers, do you stretch and what do you do? Frankly I almost never see anyone do this.

All the better players I know stretch before any Golfing even if they are young enough not to appear to need it. They normally do so in the locker room. It's something I should have learned to do way back but still don't do now that I need it even more. I do some stretching at home before leaving for the fairways though, so I must be getting smarter.

Shambles

I always stretch prior to any golf actitivies. I don't go through a specific stretching program, per se, but I do stretch. I make sure to take a HOT shower prior to going (it's usually less than 15 minutes from door to door). Once I get there, I use my Swinkey. It's supposed to be a swing trainer, but I never seem to use it for that, just as a stretching pole and warming up at slow speeds with something weighted to stretch my big muscles out.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

About 3/4 of the time I stretch, but I do not have a routine. I definitely feel the difference, and my swing feels a lot looser. I could care less about looking like an idiot. I usually try to focus on my back and hips, and if there is time move on to my legs. I don't reallay know what I would do to stretch my arms...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

AS I have gotten older i have had to stretch more before playing mostly the legs and lower back muscles so I don't feel tight or injure myself trying to go too hard. It is a great idea in any physical activity to stretch before hand and then stretch afterwords. Majority of people don't stretch after however.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 5 weeks later...

Stretching is just something that you've gotta do if you expect to play your best. Golf is a sport, which requires just as much physicality as basketball, baseball, and so on. You wouldn't see any person playing those sports begin prior to doing some stretching. Golf is no different. Not to mention the injury prevention it provides.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

With my back problems I not only had to stretch before the round I am working on incorporating them in the preshot routine. This is an area where I really have to work. For years I just grabbed the club did a little waggle and swung. I still have a tendancy to do that and this is costing me strokes. If I get the club stretch take a couple of swing for tempo and to limber up. I almost always hit a great shot. The problem is changing a preshot routine is so hard to do. I get so wrapped up in seeing it in my mind I forget to do all the stuff to make it happen.

This it the focus of my round tomorrow is stretch then swing.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Certainly! No routine, just some basic stretching exercises we all learned when we were kids. I then add a few swings holding 3 irons together for the added weight.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm the resident PGA Teaching Pro over at Golf Circuit, a new forum sponsor. I've been reading through the posts on this thread and I wanted to throw in what I've learned during my teaching career.

I've worked with some pretty elite athletic trainers (and one former PGA TOUR lead physical therapist) and they all agree that warming up before you play can improve your performance greatly on your first 2-3 holes, but only if you do it properly. Here's a few tips that you'll want to keep in mind:

• It's been proven that a 10 minute warm-up is the perfect amount of time. Anything shorter is not as effective, and anything longer is no more effective.

• Static stretching (like touching your toes and holding for 20 seconds) can actually over-extend your muscles and cause them to work improperly on your first few holes. Instead work on a dynamic stretching routine like the one shown in this book.

• Swinging with a weighted club can actually slow your swing speed down and cause you to lose distance. Instead warm up with your regular clubs, and work on strengthening your muscles in the gym through a golf specific work-out.

Hopefully these tips help steer you all in the right direction and help get you prepared to make some birdies on your first few holes!

Golf Circuit

James, Golf Circuit Resident PGA Pro

MGS_logo_default.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi james

i was just wondering about a 10min type of warm up yesterday.

i usually get to the course with maybe half an hour to go before tee-off time. i then have to go to the pro shop first, to pay up and this can easily take up 10mins. i then try to get a few putts in, and usually do some far-too-quick warm up swings on the 1st tee box. quite often it feels like i am only sufficiently warmed up 3/4 holes into the round.

can you give us some stretches\moves for the 10 minute warm up you mention?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

James i agree with you on static stretches. Sparnar, a good stretch is to rest an iron on top of your shoulders parallel to the ground. Hold the club with elbows pointing to the ground. Start by rotating on the spine standing straight from right to left, then gradually move toward your swing posture. Its my faveorite stretch. Then there is some basic pilaties moves you can do as well.

[*]Static stretching (like touching your toes and holding for 20 seconds) can actually over-extend your muscles and cause them to work improperly on your first few holes.

James can you give us some examples of non-"static" stretches? Thanks!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Swinging with a weighted club can actually slow your swing speed down and cause you to lose distance. Instead warm up with your regular clubs, and work on strengthening your muscles in the gym through a golf specific work-out

James,

This flies smack in the face of what a lot of people do by swinging two clubs at once. I'm curious what the reasoning is behind this? Also, what are your thoughts on the orange whip?

thanks

Swinging with a weighted club can actually slow your swing speed down and cause you to lose distance. Instead warm up with your regular clubs, and work on strengthening your muscles in the gym through a golf specific work-out.

James,

This flies smack in the face of what a lot of people do by swinging two clubs at once. I'm curious what the reasoning is behind this? Also, what are your thoughts on the orange whip?

thanks

X2 on that question as well. I swing a donut before the round too.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

James i agree with you on static stretches. Sparnar, a good stretch is to rest an iron on top of your shoulders parallel to the ground. Hold the club with elbows pointing to the ground. Start by rotating on the spine standing straight from right to left, then gradually move toward your swing posture. Its my faveorite stretch. Then there is some basic pilaties moves you can do as well.

thanks, aussiespud! i'll give it a try.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Hey guys!

Klller questions I'm so glad that this thread finally got some action. Regarding why warming up with a weighted club is a bad idea - watch this video for some killer insight. (The golf stuff starts around 4:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vR8U_KrhY&feature=player_embedded#!

I'll be back later with more!! wink.gif

Golf Circuit

MGS_logo_default.jpg

Hey guys!

Klller questions I'm so glad that this thread finally got some action. Regarding why warming up with a weighted club is a bad idea - watch this video for some killer insight. (The golf stuff starts around 4:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vR8U_KrhY&feature=player_embedded#!

I'll be back later with more!! wink.gif

Thanks James! Very interesting video. I'll have to go out without the orange whip to try it out (maybe replace the tempo part of it with tour tempo).

Thanks wdgolf,

As I have had to deal with recurring lower back pain while golfing lately, I found your stretch examples very interesting and plan on using them tomorrow just before I play. At 61, this is going to be a regular pre-golf routine.

My link

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great video......thanks!!!

What pre-round stretches are the best (especially for the back & shoulders)?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I've found what I believe to be the absolute best exercise program for golf. Several months ago I started doing yoga. I've found that yoga stretches and strengthens every muscle in the body. I've never found any other exercise program that provides such a great improvement in balance, stability, flexibility, and strength. If you think some of those poses where you balance on one leg look easy, just try it sometime. I'm not talking about doing meditation or chants. Just pure exercise that makes you sweat.

And if you want to know why I'm giving yoga such high praise, this is what yoga has done for me recently. I'm 65 years old, with a handicap index of 3.6, and about a month ago I shot 68. I've shot scores lower than 68 in my younger years, but I can honestly say that it's been almost 20 years since I've shot as low as 68. I have no doubt that I couldn't have done this without the added strength and flexibility I've gained. I'll be disappointed if I don't shoot my age in the next year or two. I know yoga sounds like something that you probably don't want to try, but I can promise you'll get some surprising results if you make the effort and stick with it.

+1 to the suggestion of yoga. What a lot of people miss it that there are many types of yoga, so you can find one that appeals to you. If you're feeling brave, try bikhram (sp?) yoga or "hot yoga". It's an hour+ session in a very hot and humid room. It can be torture, but you feel pretty amazing when you're done.

I'll also add that I have a student who's probably...mid 60's...and he's a yoga practitioner. He has more flexibility than just about anyone else I teach (juniors excluded).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Great suggestion! Something to keep in mind, however, is that most yoga instructors don't do any sort of evaluation before providing you with stretches / poses / exercises.

Everybody has their own unique physical limitations, and if the instructor does not understand these they will often have their students doing things that lead to injury.

As long as you are aware that yoga is not a "one size fits all" method I think it's fantastic, and the benefits can be huge when it is done properly.

PS - the same principal applies to golf lessons...wink.gif

Golf Circuit

MGS_logo_default.jpg

Great video......thanks!!!

What pre-round stretches are the best (especially for the back & shoulders)?

I was hoping YOU could share. I really don't want to buy a book.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Thanks Will!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

X2 on that question as well. I swing a donut before the round too.

X3 also , why do baseball players swing with a weight before their at-bat ??

Archived