TESTERS WANTED! ×

Finally Got The Pool Done...That Means Putting Green For Me!

Almost two years ago a tropical storm hit Key West.   It was fairly benign, except for our small yard in Old Town.  A neighbor's Spanish Lime tree branch broke off and took out almost all of our back yard trees (including a 40 ft. mango), an oolite patio and outside furniture.  It took a team three and a half days just to clear the debris.  When they completed the clean up, we were basically left with a clean slate.

In discussing our options, my wife decided she wanted a small dipping pool.  I wasn't too keen on the idea.  During our "negotiations" she said if I get the pool, you can put in a putting green.  Hon, you had me at putting green.  I guess 40 years of marriage you know how to get things done.

The simple 8 ft. by 12 ft. dipping pool turned out to be a drawn-out process.  It took almost three months just to get a survey done.  There was one delay after another.  Finally, three weeks ago the pool passed it final inspection, it was plastered and filled with water.  That signaled the start of the back yard landscaping which included the putting green.

If you've been in Old Town Key West, you know that many back yards are relatively small.  Ours in no exception.  So I had to figure out where to put the green and how big of a green would fit.   After contacting several artificial green suppliers, one thing was pretty clear:  there were very few artificial green installers in the Keys and it would take a much big job than mine for an installer from Miami (about 130 miles).   Because of that and the green location options available to me, I decided on Pro Putt Systems green.   By using snap together plastics base pieces, the site preparation was simplified and much easier to install.  Plus, if I didn't like it where it was, I could roll up the putting surface, pick up the panels and reinstall it somewhere else.  

Given the premium for space, I ended up with a roughly 6 ft. wide by 14 ft long putting green (Major Champion model) that included five holes.  One of my golfing buddies has the chipping yips, so I also sprung for the chipping pad so we could work on his problem.  Just before Christmas, the four large boxes and roll of turf showed up at my house and this week, it finally got installed.  Given the landscapers were redistributing the remains of our hand dug pool (narrow spaces between homes made even the smallest backhoe impossible to get in the backyard), they were already starting to prep the green site.  I would say it took about half a day to spread the rock, compact the course sand and level the green location.  Then it took less than a half a day for them to do the jigsaw puzzle pieces together in the right order, install the cups and roll out the turf.   They had never worked with the Pro Putt System before so they had to take their time.  Overall, I think it turned out pretty well.

The first picture is the infamous pool on the right.  The skimmer needs to be concreted around and tile goes on the exposed side, but that's basically just aesthetics.  Here's the walkway (which the end of the week will be tiled) leading to the putting green.  The plants on the left are new,

Pathtogreen2.jpg.9a41cd33f5a4e3e6ab019eee572b287b.jpgChippingpadandgreen.jpg.8d3e0f07f2e5746b04286eb5afed78f7.jpgGreenfromtheback.jpg.40d46ae531f80f7e33229f610cf39572.jpg

The chipping pad is 4 ft. round with two different turf to simulate fairway and first cut of rough.  You can see from both the front and back of the green there are five holes.   The cups are only about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inches deep.  All the trees you see in pictures two and three are new, are already fairly large and will provide a good deal of privacy.  Once the walkway is complete, I'll put down some small rocks or other covering, so I don't track sand all over the new carpet!  In anticipation of the green, I actually purchased a second LAB Golf DF 1.2 putter on eBay with the exact fitting specifications so I could leave my clubs at the course and have a putter to practice at home. 

This will be my new oasis!  The only thing missing is a kegerator.   Maybe I'll negotiate for that when my wife wants her next big project.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Very nice!  I almost went with ProPutt in my hitting bay, but opted for Big Moss.  I’ve got two pieces of turf; one is 6’x12’ and the other is in front of my sim screen and 10’x12’.  On the 6’ piece I have one hole in the middle on each end, and with room behind the cups I can make a little over 9 foot putt.  The larger piece of turf has four holes near the corners and putt lengths are about 10’ and 6’.  It’s large enough to practice putting drills; practicing lags will be done at the course!  I like how I can create subtle breaks on the green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@Kenny B that sounds like a nice set up.  Part of the negation with my wife is that once the outside green was done I had to get rid of the Big Moss green I have in our spare bedroom/office since COVID.  I really like that green.  
I still have the Big Moss foam wedges that I think I can easily put under the Pro Putt turf to make breaks when I want them.  Thanks for reminding me!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Space looks fantastic, enjoy!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft