Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MannKrafted Mann-Zanita, near completion.

golfluvzme

I have been building this one for a great guy from Edmonton, Alberta for a while now. We had all of the specs ironed out, stamping cleared and even the neck taken care of. I got ahead of myself and took it to the finish stage, before doing what should have been done and "Double-Checking" the spec sheet, one last time. I left off what I believe to be a very meaningful stamping, the "MATTHEW 6: 25-34" that wraps around the toe and onto the bottom of the face. The deep blue, Raw Torch'd finish had been done, but while doing the stamping that had been missed, it was deemed necessary to remove the existing finish and re-Torch this rascal. The second torch has a tendency to react differently, as the metal is now structured a bit differently.

Here are the first finish pics:

2010_02180016.jpg

2010_02180020.jpg

2010_02180023.jpg

2010_02180025.jpg

The second version came out more like a Raw Torch Fade, with the toe area remaining sort of a high polished silver blue, and fading to a very rich, deep blue at the tip of the pin tail. The hosel has awesome color, the second time around. After looking at the pics, the hosel looks better the second time, IMHO.

The customer has been awesome. I told him that if we hadn't seen the first finish, this second finish would be stunning, to say the least. I am seriously considering attempting to put it on my own Maker's Proto X, very soon.

I am looking for thoughts on the second finish, as opposed to the first, but feel free to comment on any feature. The customer has been awesome throughout the process and I think that once it is in his hands, he'll love it. Just need to hear what you guys think, to help him out.

Second finish, the Raw Torch'd Fade

2010_03030014.jpg

2010_03090012.jpg

2010_03030016.jpg

2010_03090013.jpg

I wish that my photography skills were better, but I am working on it.

Thanks for your help and to MyGolfSpy for allowing me to share my work.

LaMont in AZ

I love the fade. Those are some great pics and a great putter.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Based on what I can see in the photos, the fade that is seen on the face does not carry over to the view at address. I like the look of the fade on the face, it's unique, and I really like the fact that it doesn't get seen at address. I feel like that would be distracting. Overall, I think it's cool and I think he'll be very happy with it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Hey LaMont

I just reread the info in your post and you mentioned that the metal is restructured after torching the first time. Does the second torching affect feel too then? Firmer?

Have you had any issue with discoloration, rust-like spots, coming up on torched SS? My torched 007 SS showed what looked like rust about 6 months after it was made. Byron said that sometimes happens with torching. Just wondering if that is connected to what you are talking about. Byron cleaned it back up for free, btw. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That putter is sick. I like the finish on it.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

• SPY VIP

Hey guys

Thanks for the responses so far! Can't wait for it to come so I can check it out :( In terms of the firmer feel, that would be something I want to know as well

The lucky owner?

You are in for a treat for certain. Feel free to give us a drool worthy report when it arrives.

Volvo Intorqueo

Very nice LaMont!

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Well, I was looking into buying the imola but really wanted a twisted neck and LaMont outdid himself on the neck for sure! Just got the USPS confirmation for the putter head coming my way...will let you guys know soon :lol:

• SPY VIP

Well, I was looking into buying the imola but really wanted a twisted neck and LaMont outdid himself on the neck for sure! Just got the USPS confirmation for the putter head coming my way...will let you guys know soon :lol:

Fantastic, can't wait.

What are your plans for shaft and grip?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

hmmm, I was too focused on the head that I didn't consider any shaft options. The grip is LaMont's new 'lamkin' like grip...there should be pics around somewhere.

OK thanks, I'll hunt around

Volvo Intorqueo

I might be alone in this but I would probably find that hosel a bit distracting at address.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I might be alone in this but I would probably find that hosel a bit distracting at address.

From what I've seen of other pics of twisty-neck putters on this site, you really can't tell it is twisted.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Mann part of MannKrafted mean? Is it just man-made, or is it just someone's name.

• SPY VIP

From what I've seen of other pics of twisty-neck putters on this site, you really can't tell it is twisted.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Mann part of MannKrafted mean? Is it just man-made, or is it just someone's name.

Mann is LaMont's last name.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

My favourite basic putter shape, check, twist neck , check, torch finsh, check, does LaMont have my address yet for the box...........

Send him a PM. He is a great guy and would be more than happy to help you.

Volvo Intorqueo

I asked before, and no one's answered yet....what's the story on the twisty hosel? Purely for looks? How? Why? And so on.

Mann is LaMont's last name.

Lamont Mann? That's actually a cool name. He should do a signature line of putters at some point.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Isn't that what the MannKrafted line is?

No, that isn't his name. I was thinking XXXX signature series by LaMont Mann.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I know that you usually can't see a twisted plumbers neck at address, but I don't know if that's true for flow necks or round necks also. Address pics, please?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Lamont Mann? That's actually a cool name. He should do a signature line of putters at some point.

He kind of has a signature line out right now with his company Sunset Beach Golf. I think the term used is designed by LaMont Mann...they are the same headshapes but instead of having the 'MANN' logo on the sole of the putter, it says SSB with a wave, or wherever else the owner wants the logo.

He kind of has a signature line out right now with his company Sunset Beach Golf. I think the term used is designed by LaMont Mann...they are the same headshapes but instead of having the 'MANN' logo on the sole of the putter, it says SSB with a wave, or wherever else the owner wants the logo.

Well, there you go. I'm not Marketing challenged after all. Thanks DFC.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I know that you usually can't see a twisted plumbers neck at address, but I don't know if that's true for flow necks or round necks also. Address pics, please?

You're right about the twisted necks on a plumbers neck. With this one, I think you would see a bit of the twist and I think there is an address pic on the first page...

Archived