TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hollow body iron questions...

therod

So I have a couple other posts about irons. And I am in the market for a new set this spring. But one style I've yet to try is the hollow-body style. I've tried a few hybrids over the years, and didn't like the look or the performance. They just weren't my style. But I've yet to try a hollow-body iron. Judging by pics, I'm assuming they look like a regular iron when set up behind the ball. But I just don't like looking down at a hybrid. So talking about hollow body irons, it seems as though they pretty much look like a regular iron behind the ball. I would assume they feel a little different than a standard iron. So to those who have tried and/or played a hollow bodied iron, how different is the feel, set-up, and performance vs a standard iron? I have been looking for something new, and have looked very closely at some Wilsons since I wouldn't have to break the bank to acquire a new set. But I don't have any biases concerning who makes the clubs. I just want a good set of irons. This lefty would just like some perspective and experience please.

1 hour ago, therod said:

So I have a couple other posts about irons. And I am in the market for a new set this spring. But one style I've yet to try is the hollow-body style. I've tried a few hybrids over the years, and didn't like the look or the performance. They just weren't my style. But I've yet to try a hollow-body iron. Judging by pics, I'm assuming they look like a regular iron when set up behind the ball. But I just don't like looking down at a hybrid. So talking about hollow body irons, it seems as though they pretty much look like a regular iron behind the ball. I would assume they feel a little different than a standard iron. So to those who have tried and/or played a hollow bodied iron, how different is the feel, set-up, and performance vs a standard iron? I have been looking for something new, and have looked very closely at some Wilsons since I wouldn't have to break the bank to acquire a new set. But I don't have any biases concerning who makes the clubs. I just want a good set of irons. This lefty would just like some perspective and experience please.

All depends on the model, however nearly all OEM make a hollow body or players distance iron. Some have a goo or substance in them which make them feel less clicky so to speak and others are more just plain hollow. 

Lets tackle looks first. They are still an iron, if anything some look better in my mind vs Game improvement or others (game improvement have hollow body options as well). 

Unless you were to go with a SGI (super game improvement) you are not going to get that hybrid like fear you are thinking of. 

As for as feel, that is tough. It is so subjective and varies person to person. 

The best thing you can do is test and try various options - depending on price here is a short list I would look at from a fellow lefty.

Budget Options
Takomo 101 - have a friend who has them and loves them. A little bigger, slightly more offset, but a great set of irons at a killer price. 
Sub70 699 pro or standard V2 - Pro is a little slimmer and standard is more similar to the takomo, but as a sub70 user I would definitely look at checking them out. 
Haywood signature - Another DTC company with a good rep. 

TXG has reviews on nearly all of these

Other options with various price points
PXG 0211 series (someone correct me if I am wrong, but they hollow body I do believe)
Ping i525 (these would be my favourite)
Taylormade P790 (you could find older versions for cheaper)
Mizuno MP 225 Pro (sorry model name may be off, but another set worth looking at)
Callaway Rouge ST Pro - last year, but still a current line so may be a bit cheaper
Titleist T200 - They are coming out with a all black version soon that looks incredible
Cobra Forged Tec - Also has one length option 

And truthfully the list goes on and on. Many great options that will look like an iron and play like an iron where you have no fears of it looking like a hybrid. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

They look fine. The top line will be a little thicker. They won’t look like a hybrid standing over them unless it’s an SGI iron. They won’t feel as soft as a forged iron but most GI and  Players Distance irons feel pretty good because manufacturers use different methods to make dampen vibrations. Like the previous poster said feel is different for everyone so the best thing to do is try irons and see what feel good to you.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Generally, they look like a thicker MB iron.  I think they can look quite sleek in the bag and generally look better than most GI Cavity Back irons to my eye.

My current Cobra Forged Tec's (the 2020 model):

EC359E03-1EA7-4307-9058-7217EE6C148A.jpeg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The Sub70 699s interest me because I've read alot about how well they take care of their customers, they look sweet, and the price is right. The PXGs interest me based on appearance and reputation. But if I don't have to buy new, and can get gently used but new in appearance, the cost becomes similar enough to not be a concern. We'll see. Still shopping...

Sub-70 699 Pro's are in my bag. You can pick up last years model for a reasonable price now that the new model has been released.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

8 hours ago, therod said:

The Paradyms are hollow body irons and they don't look anything like a hybrid in front of you.

They feel really solid, smooth and the added distance is definitely a plus not to mention the forgiveness. The set up is pretty much the same as I've had w my Apex irons. When I was getting fitted, I gained about 10-15 yards from my current gamers. The accuracy is really impressive too. The top line MIGHT be a little thicker than the Apex but not by much if my memory serves me correctly

Edited by Merlin1313

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

8 hours ago, therod said:

The Sub70 699s interest me because I've read alot about how well they take care of their customers, they look sweet, and the price is right. The PXGs interest me based on appearance and reputation. But if I don't have to buy new, and can get gently used but new in appearance, the cost becomes similar enough to not be a concern. We'll see. Still shopping...

As I mentioned there are a ton of options out there for you. I am very curious about the V2 699s. I have the 659 TC and love them, but am struggling with my game a bit so something that is a bit more forgiving and added help does have some interest to me. 

Let us know how it works out and I know that sub70 does have a demo program as well.

Also the Kirkland signature series is an option when they come out to .

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am gaming the new PXG 0211 Xcore's which are hollow body & 5 thru gap wedge for just over $600.  "Gaming" meaning simulator here in Wisconsin so a caveat on distance but feel is great. I also picked up the 0211 7 wood on their site for $139!  Shipping is expensive but about a 7 day turnaround on my irons. I was fitted on-line but know my specs from other fittings.  Great lady out of NY named Susan who was very knowledgeable & super helpful on soft/hard stepping.  Followed up with info after the sale.  I tried the Cobra forged Tec.  They were pretty but a tad expensive.  IMO, a very underrated iron set are the Cleveland XL irons.  The heads look very long & big at address & impossible to miss but aren't close to shovels.  I have a set of 2023 T-Rails on the sale block.  Uber forgiving but I been down that road a few times ( Cleveland)  & I just can't wrap my head around those hybrid type clubs. Plus I already hit the ball high & these launch them sky high.  I'm an 11 handicap but basically on my home course & it doesn't travel well!   Oh, also left handed but a lot more options these days. I hear great things on Sub 70 & Takoma, all over this site & I have met Jason Hiland from Sub 70 when he was working out of an old dilapidated brick garage as Diamond Tour & everything you hear about Sub 70 service & Jason's program is 100% correct.  Limited lefty stuff but 699's are available. 

A great place to start as you pair down your list of clubs to try out is the Most Wanted Players Distance iron test. You mentioned that you don't necessarily need a new model so those articles are available now: https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-players-distance-irons/. This year's test probably isn't too far away if you decide on new. FWIW, I've hit the Mizuno Pro 225 against my current JPX 919HM and I liked what I saw. I'm still a way off buying new, but I might also go Player's Distance irons when the time comes.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

19 hours ago, therod said:

So talking about hollow body irons, it seems as though they pretty much look like a regular iron behind the ball. I would assume they feel a little different than a standard iron. So to those who have tried and/or played a hollow bodied iron, how different is the feel, set-up, and performance vs a standard iron?

I just want a good set of irons.

You have gotten some good answers in this thread.  I’ll give you my thoughts as on of the most wanted testers; which means I have the opportunity to hit most of the clubs in the market place.  As a golfer I am not that sensitive to feel or sound; which means I lean more toward the performance of the club and either don’t notice much difference or can get past the sound and feel of a club. 

hollow body irons are generally multi piece construction which enables the club designers to do difference things than single piece clubs.  From an external view they will generally look close to the category that fall within;  most seem to be in the players distance category so they generally looks pretty compact.  Sounds and feel can range from clicky to muted but that is more about design and less about hollow body. Drivers sound and feel different and that sound/feel might. Are from gofer to golfer.  

As for quality, IMO, the clubs built by major OEMs and the big name DTC clubs like Maltby, Sub70, New Level, Takomo, and PXG are all high quality and something I would put in my bag without hesitation. We are currently doing players iron most wanted testing and both the Sub70 and New Level products would be high on my purchase list.  I’m my mind the biggest difference between the DTC and major OEM brands is resale value if you like to switch between clubs. TM, Ping, Callaway and  Titleist will generally hold their value well. Srixon/Cleveland and Wilson would be next down. The DTC brands typically take a big hit on resale because people don’t know a lot about them or believe they aren’t the best quality.  

you’ve been posting a lot of questions recently, I am guessing you don’t typically switch clubs often so you want to buy the right thing the first time out and cost is a consideration.   Without hitting or seeing the clubs it is hard to figure those things out.   If fitting is an option, that is the way to go since you get to hit a wide variety of clubs and they can be fine tuned.   If fitting isn’t an option reach out to the DTC. Randy’s, they generally have great customer service and demo options where they will sent you a club to try for a reasonable cost.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Deepred said:

The only drawback is i don’t know how you could test one.

Take a drive to yorktown VA to visit HQ and then ask to hit them.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Your hdcp is 8????  Do you not have any store nearby???  Can you buy a single iron on ebay and take it from there??? 

OK.  Hollows are mostly CAST from molten steel into a mold.  Solids are mostly FORGED, a single "billet" of softer steel is pounded and cut into the shape of a head.  Cast have higher amount of stainless steel in the melted alloy, and are harder.  Forged are higher in carbon, which is softer.  But the difference in "feel" today is smaller than when cast were newly invented by Karsten Solheim the founder / inventor of PING and they were very hard compared to all the forged hi-carbon clubs.  Feel is modified by what type of shaft you use.  Cast were invented before soft-feel graphite shafts were invented.  Cast hollow are likely to be a bit harder to work left and right, to curve or spin the ball, draw and fade, compared to solid / forged heads.  Sheesh, this is basic stuff, tho.  Howd you get to an 8 ????  I'm jealous, but, I'm 68 with scoliosis.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

11 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Hollows are mostly CAST from molten steel into a mold.  Solids are mostly FORGED, a single "billet" of softer steel is pounded and cut into the shape of a head.  Cast have higher amount of stainless steel in the melted alloy, and are harder.  Forged are higher in carbon, which is softer.

... While a popular opinion, it is just not true for many of todays hollow headed players irons. The name itself is a clue "Forged Tec". I have posted a review here on MGS but I will just copy the Cobra website for convenience:

The KING Forged Tec Irons are designed to inspire a better ball striking experience. Featuring a new 5-step forged body and face, and refined shaping, these irons deliver true feel and better player looks with all of the forgiveness you need.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 2/23/2023 at 12:28 PM, therod said:

So I have a couple other posts about irons. And I am in the market for a new set this spring. But one style I've yet to try is the hollow-body style. So talking about hollow body irons, it seems as though they pretty much look like a regular iron behind the ball. I would assume they feel a little different than a standard iron. So to those who have tried and/or played a hollow bodied iron, how different is the feel, set-up, and performance vs a standard iron? This lefty would just like some perspective and experience please.

... I played P790s for 1.5 seasons and they were great in Chicago with soft conditions. Greens were very receptive and the 790's spin less than a comparable players iron but no problem holding greens. When I moved to Phoenix with harder greens, I could not hold them with 790's and I needed more spin. The feel was very good although they would not be confused with a true carbon steel forged iron. 

... Cobra's 22' Forged Tecs kinda split the difference between a players iron and the 790's and with all the rain we have had this past year, they have no problem holding greens. That said, I do find my MIM's a little more accurate for 2 reasons. A 4* gap between irons instead of 5* gaps with most hollow headed irons and while they do a good job on slight mishits, the difference between dead center and slightly toey is a hair more pronounced with the thinner faced FT's. Not the mythical 15 yd fliers but maybe a few extra yards and for me that can be the difference between a birdie and a par. 

... So the differences are subtle and depending on your ball striking ability they may not only be similar, but some may find hollow headed irons with a higher trajectory, more distance and a little less spin is actually better for their game. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Lots of good info on here about hollow-bodied irons. I will say they are like any other iron for the most part in regard to feel and looks, it's just they have a closed back instead of a cavity. They will all be different and some will have a heavier GI design than others. Hollow-body irons cover virtually the whole design spectrum from the Ping G710 to the Mizuno HMB/225. So you really need to use some care in deciding what iron you want to go after because you don't want to open up the mail and find out you bought a hollow body shovel when that isn't what you want.

Do the perform better? That's debatable but probably not worse. The biggest issues I see with hollow body designs is that most, especially the GI designs, are built for distance above all else. They have thinner more springy faces that are generally supported by some form of resin or foam. They also generally have strong lofts. The end result is an iron that goes a long way but spin and control can be problem if not properly fit. You really need to hit them on a launch monitor to get your spin numbers right or you might find yourself flying or bouncing off greens all day.

I see you're an 8 handicap based on your profile. If you're a decent ball striker there are some more "player" oriented hollow bodies out there but again, you really need to find a golf shop with a launch monitor to look at spin numbers. Even if it's not in your budget, go test the new stuff and see if there is a shaft that works well for you on maybe a couple different hollow-body heads. That should give you at least a starting point with what to look for in the used market if you go that route.

There are a lot of good hollow-body irons. Sub70, Maltby, and many others made good budget options. Rumor is that Costco should be releasing a new Kirkland Signature hollow-body at some point in the future. 

On 2/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, therod said:

I have played hollow body, foam-filled irons for more than 4 years (a brief flirtation with the first-generation PXG 0211 irons, followed by 3+ years playing Tour Edge Exotics C721 irons and just got a set of Cobra King Forged Tec X irons). All are foam-filled hollow irons of a fairly similar design. I’m not yet sure that the Forged Tec X irons will replace my trusty C721s, but they feel very good (lofts are just too strong on the Cobras).

Here’s a quick summary in response to your questions:

FEEL — Fantastic! Not true billet forged butter soft, but very pleasant (I guess “solid but not harsh” is the best description).

SET-UP & PERFORMANCE — Since these two go hand-in-hand, IMO, I will address both together. Most foam-filled hollow irons have moderately strong to extremely strong lofts (the Cobra Forged Tec X is the epitome of ultra- strong lofts). No matter what the manufacturer says about placing more weight low and back to promote higher launch, when 7-irons have lofts of 27-29 degrees, it can be difficult to get enough height on your ball flight to hold a fast green. This is the reason why I may go back to my weaker-lofted Exotics C721 irons (31* 7-iron which is more reasonable for my swing speed and game).

I hope this brief summary addresses your questions and provides a bit of guidance.

Doug

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Hollow body can come if various forms however the biggest two are the clubs that look like hybrids such as wilson launch pad and cleveland halos. From your first post these are the iron that would not be in your favor.

The second is most commonly a club that appears as a blade but with more girth, height etc. These are mostly as cavity backs with a cap on the back for design ascetics. We need to talk in general concepts because not every head will fall into these categories such as paradyms,  For Lefties Srixon ZX4, Cally Paradym, TM 790, rise to the top in my mind .

Lastly is the players distance model, This is by far and away the best  category for most golfers. It offers the styling a lot of golfers prefer and gives them the forgivness they need. For lefties in this niche I would say the wilson D9 forged.  Mizuno 923 Pro, Srixon ZX5, Cally Apex, TM 790 (im not a TM guy but this club is popular), Pings latest offering 525? 

If you are budget conscious the best thing to do is get fit by a quality fitter. It is money well spent to know what you need for your next set. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I recently switched to player distance too, had G425 and switch to I525, still waiting for the winter to go away here in canada to try them. If you plan to keep those for a long time, then a DTC brand might be a good choice, cheaper, very good quality in general, might not be as good as some of the major OEM but they are very close, for half the price in general..if you want resale value, generally Bigger OEM tend to keep more value, Ping and mizuno being generally having the most resale value from what i've seen. P790 were a little on the low spin side when I tested them (didnt like the feel either) so if you don't hit that high, you might want to avoid. I also consider getting the PXG 0211 for a teenager, he need new club out from  his kids club and probbaly reaching for either ladies or senior flex. At 99$ a pop, hard to beat that price especially if you dont need a full set from 4 to GW(need to buy 5 club for the 99$ price). Sub70 offering is also hard to beat price wise