TESTERS WANTED! ×

My new Byron

Matt Saternus

About 3 years ago, I first learned about Byron Morgan putters. I talked with Steve (Z-Man), one of Byron's reps, and got enrolled in one of their demo programs to test a 006 putter. Upon receiving the putter, I immediately fell in love with the feel of carbon steel and the look of the 006. Shortly thereafter, I ordered my first custom 006, a black oxide putter with sight line at 350g. The next year, pure dumb luck allowed me to win a second 006 which I had made out of American Stainless Steel with the mystic pearl finish. Since then, I've learned a lot about my putting preferences. I've found, through owning a couple of very light John Byrons, that I don't like a 350g putter on faster greens. I also know that I do like a slightly heavier putter on slower greens. I've also discovered (through use of naked John Byrons and some great threads that I've read) that I putt better without a sight line. I also wanted a carbon putter that would be maintenance free. All of this knowledge made me want a new gamer 006, which I ordered in January.

As we all know, waiting for golf clubs, be they custom putters, a driver, etc, is murder. I wanted to PM Dave every day asking where my putter was. Last week I finally got word that the copper plate run was back in Byron's hands. I immediately PM'd Dave to see if my putter could be rushed to me for my trip. Without asking for a single penny, Dave had Byron ship the putter express on Saturday and it was in my hands today (Monday). When people ask me why I have 7 Byrons and nothing from anyone else, this is one reason why - the Byron team embodies customer service.

Now on to the putter. It is GORGEOUS (sorry sactown, that requires caps). I love the shiny penny look of new copper. I'm sure I will like the patina as it ages, but I like the fact that I can always bring it back to this new state if I want to. The engraving in the cavity is a 1/25, and it looks great in person (not too shabby in pics either). In terms of feel, it's absolute butter. The copper plate does not compromise the soft feel of carbon at all. As you would expect, it puts a great roll on the ball.

Enough text, here are the specs and some pics:

Byron Morgan 006

34"

330g

Site dot

Carbon steel, copper plated

1/25 surfboard 006 cavity engraving

"Matthew Saternus" on bumpers

Crossed "Byron Morgan" on the face w/peace symbol

Blue Iomic grip

Black Sally HC

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

When I got the box inside, I opened it the wrong way (though I think, much like a Reese's, there is no wrong way to open a box from Byron Morgan) and the first thing I saw was this headcover. I was expecting to like it. I was not expecting to be completely blown away by it. The design is great, but what makes it a must-have are the colors. There are colors on here that I've never seen on a headcover before. The lime green seagulls with the teal "California Flatsticks" looks insane, and the oranges on the top of the cover really pop.

In terms of function, the snap fit is great, way better than a velcro cover which I would have to sew up. It also feels as if it has more padding around the putter, which is a good and welcome thing.

I hope my pics do a little bit of justice to how awesome this cover is:

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

Finally, as you may have noted in the specs, this putter is 330g, significantly lighter than a stock 006 which would weigh in around 355. My final pics here are comparisons between my 355g black oxide 006 and my new 330g copper plate. It's my belief that all of the weight came off the sole. It may be hard to see, but on the black oxide, the sole is a tri-plane. On the 330, it's a much smoother curve.

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

Holy....... that is a thing of beauty. Do not tell me they make these in a flow neck.

Yessir. Byron refers to a flow neck as a "Rincon" neck.

I hate you so much right now...

I would hate me too, if I were in your shoes. But I'm not... :D

Blinded by the light. They look great.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

Is the toe hang the same with the different weights? It may just be the stamping, but it looks like the heel end is much smaller/thinner on the copper

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Blinded by the light. They look great.

Thanks. Photography is not my strong suit.

Is the toe hang the same with the different weights? It may just be the stamping, but it looks like the heel end is much smaller/thinner on the copper

Toe hang is exactly the same, which is really a testament to Byron's skill at taking the weight off evenly.

Is there a difference in feel between your carbon and your copper plaiting? or is it minute that you can't tell the difference?

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

My Visa and I are just going to pretend that we never read that.

Don't buy one. Really. I bought 3 last year. Don't buy just one...

Matt and I could go on an on. I can't imagine a better custom putter buying experience.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Don't buy one. Really. I bought 3 last year. Don't buy just one...

Matt and I could go on an on. I can't imagine a better custom putter buying experience.

This calendar year I'm already on 3. It's true that once you get started, it's hard to stop. I've already seen half a dozen features/stampings/etc that I'd like to incorporate into another putter. As I've said, this putter is the gamer for 2010, without question, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate other things.

The custom buying experience is phenomenal. As I wrote up top, this putter got shipped express mail without an extra penny of cost, just because I wanted to have it for my trip. That's the kind of thing that Byron & his guys are about.

Dude it's only March, and you 2 fellas aren't helping me here either. :D

I know, 3 by March made me feel kinda bad...for about a second. Here's the thing: one was a really sweet trade, one was a deal that was too good to pass up, and the other was my custom which has been months in the making (mentally, at least). I would feel way worse if I had passed on any of them.

If you're interested in trying a Byron, they run all kinds of demo programs and I've actually had them ship a putter directly to me to demo. I don't know if they do that anymore or if it's only the demo program, but it can't hurt to ask. Cool thing with the demo program is that Byron refinishes the demo putter once it's gone around and the participants have a chance to buy it at a reduced price. It's a really good way to get started on Byrons.

Check out puttertalk also. The Byron section is perfect.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

We are trying to welcome more into the Putter head nation.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

Oh I have plenty of putters, not that she knows about a couple of them. They just hasppen to be lying in my man cave of a shed that she refuses to set foot in.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Oh I have plenty of putters, not that she knows about a couple of them. They just hasppen to be lying in my man cave of a shed that she refuses to set foot in.

Oh Man, you are playing with fire. Full disclosure is the best policy.. LOL. ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

When I got the box inside, I opened it the wrong way (though I think, much like a Reese's, there is no wrong way to open a box from Byron Morgan) and the first thing I saw was this headcover. I was expecting to like it. I was not expecting to be completely blown away by it. The design is great, but what makes it a must-have are the colors. There are colors on here that I've never seen on a headcover before. The lime green seagulls with the teal "California Flatsticks" looks insane, and the oranges on the top of the cover really pop.

In terms of function, the snap fit is great, way better than a velcro cover which I would have to sew up. It also feels as if it has more padding around the putter, which is a good and welcome thing.

I hope my pics do a little bit of justice to how awesome this cover is:

I'm a sucker for headcovers and that is one of the most gorgeous covers I've ever seen. the fact that it functions beautifully is just a bonus.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Get caught did you? ;)

In the past, I got dinged. You can still see the scars. Now my wife doesn't care as long as I work within certain parameters and she is afforded the same.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Your killing me here, off too the website I go...........

Dave,

I almost quoted you at the "Flow Neck" comment, but decided to read on and see what transpired.

You are in SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much trouble if you are a putter junkie, LOL! Byron's works are awesome and like the general consensus seems to be............you can't stop at one.

The Rincon neck is similar to a Santa Fe neck, if I am not mistaken. Byron also has the ability to craft a neck similar to that of the old Del Mar putters. Some guys call the Del Mar neck the flow neck and I just wanted to say that, either way, Byron has that touch.

Good luck,

LaMont in AZ

Archived