Music on the Course

Generally I don’t like to have music played in my foursome. Maybe that’s a “get off my lawn” opinion.  What do others think?

Edited by jeffjones

PING G435 MAX

PING G710 Irons 5-W

Vokey SM8 Wedges 52-56-60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter  (2018)

I have no problem with it. I enjoy a quiet round walking by myself but I have no issues when my buddy brings his bluetooth speaker. I'd rather hear some music, even groups I may not like, than some of the garbage that comes out of other people's mouths at times.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It isn't really a thing here at the courses I play so not sure how I really feel. I love music and podcasts and have them on constantly, however I think I would prefer having my own in headphones or something vs a speaker that is loud pumping music. 

Good topic and interested to hear others thoughts!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My usual foursome typically has music on in both carts. When I play alone I don’t usually bring my speaker but the music is great when it’s a casual round with the guys. It’s more of a problem for me if others have their music on so loud that I can hear it from across the course. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I live where we are a retired golf cart community and we have three courses. Everyone has their own cart decked out for their specific use. Many of use have speakers and play music at a low tone. I have groups where everyone plays music. There are other groups that if it bothers someone, then I keep mine off. Just depends on the event and company for the round. 

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

I have a small JBL Clip bluetooth speaker that hangs off my bag that I use. I keep the volume down enough that I can hear it but it can't be heard when we're on the green and my bag is right next to it. (I walk)

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'll typically play music from the cart during my Tuesday evening scramble league, but it's really only loud enough so that my partner and I can hear it in the cart, maybe hear it a little bit outside the cart. We try to not let it get too loud in case the other pairing we are playing with doesn't care for music on the course. I don't have any problems with it as long as it's not really loud/offensive stuff. If I can hear you blasting music from a fairway or two over, I think that's unacceptable. I'll also always pause it/turn it off if I'm in a fairway location that is close to the green on a different hole. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I am not a fan of it if I can hear it from a group in front or in back of me.  It is especially annoying if it is crude or offensive music.  If you are going to listen to music make it so you can hear it but I don't want to be forced to listen to your music. One of the things I love about golf is the ability to be away from everything and have some peace and relaxation that is aside from the errant shots and missed 5 footers.  When I want to listen to something when I play alone I typically use one earbud but when I play in a group I would rather talk with my group and not be bothered by music.  

My problem and I admit I may also be a "Get off my lawn" guy is that respect for others in society is going away and when someone blasts their music it is just another example of I am going to do what I want regardless of the impact on others.  Listen to what you want but please just don't make me listen to it as well because we probably don't have the same tastes.

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

I like music and I like golf, but the two don't mix for me.  There is a time and place for each.  Since I'm ancient, most music I hear on the course is not something I would listen to anyway.  My wife loves to listen to music on the course, but she wears the Shokz bone-conducting headphones; quite nice, since they are not in your ears, you can hear the music and the sounds of golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

IMHO, the bad “rap” for music on the course comes from groups blasting music from their carts as they race around the course. I am fairly old and didn’t consider myself a “music on the course” type of person. But I have found that many different genres of music, played at a respectful level,  are calming and pleasant.  So I do have a speaker and ask others if it ok to play music. 

:ping-small:Ping G410 Plus driver

:tour-edge: C721 5 wood

XXIO hybrid

PXG Hybrid

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson D7 irons

:ping-small: Sigma Putter

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 Sand Wedge

Ball::wilson_staff_small: Duo

1 hour ago, Steve061 said:

so I don't disturb others 

This is the key, right there!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, Steve061 said:

When I play alone I sometimes play music via BT speaker. 

If the Rugby is on and the Sharkies 🦈 are playing it is on or can be straight into my hearing aids so I don't disturb others 

Are you talking about the Cronulla Sharks? When I was in the military, I spent 3 years on exchange duty in Australia. We lived in Cronulla and could walk to the stadium.

Play like a champion today!

I used to hate all technology on the course, especially cell phones and even rangefinders (real golfers step off their distances from the yardage poles and guess the yardages to the pin based on flag color, I’d say). I’m not an anti-technology guy; I just didn’t want to see it on the course. 

As technology slowly crept into other aspects of life, I learned to coexist with it on the course (and use it because yardage markers seem to have gone by the wayside). Music doesn’t bother me now, but then again, nobody in my group has played U2, so I can’t say it will never bother me. 

... There are just so many factors that influence this question but I will just touch on a few. When I was a DJ on the radio for 4 hours 5 days a week and got to play golf on the weekends I most certainly did not want music on the golf course. Flash forward many years and now I play golf 5 times a week and love music on the course. Music can have an emotional impact and for me, it reminds me of those 10 years I was on the air so it conjures up pleasant emotional memories. I use Pandora and have thumbed up and thumbed down a Golf Station so you won't hear Black Dog or Free Bird but you will hear Natures Way and Sultans Of Swing. Thankfully all my playing pards love classic rock, but I still only play it loud enough to be heard near my cart. Once we are on the green it can't even be heard. Occasionally I get paired up with others that ask me to turn it up so they can all hear it and I will do so to a slightly louder lever that can just be heard on the green but certainly not by anyone in another group. 

... But that emotion cuts both ways and I had to work at a Country station for almost a year before finding another afternoon shift at a rock station. I never liked Country music to begin with and working at a Country station made it even worse. And I just don't care for Rap as for me at least, it is the opposite of the kind of emotion needed to play golf. The irony is I rnever hear classic rock blaring loudly from others carts, it is almost always Rap or Country.

... So like everything in life, being aware of others when you are in a public arena is just common courtesy and as I have said many times people usually fall into one of two categories. Considerate and Inconsiderate. And that certainly applies to music on the course. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

@chisagamong others. Asked if. being considerate is the key.

I prefer to have music when playing by myself or if I’m paired up with a group that’s not really sociable I’ll throw it on. But it’s really just loud enough for me to hear.

I can’t stand hearing someone’s music on the next tee box and I’m on the previous one.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

15 hours ago, Steve061 said:

When I play alone I sometimes play music via BT speaker. 

If the Rugby is on and the Sharkies 🦈 are playing it is on or can be straight into my hearing aids so I don't disturb others 

I used to go to the nightclub at the club over 30 years ago. I grew up in Blakehurst, across the river from the Shire.

12 hours ago, Javs said:

Are you talking about the Cronulla Sharks? When I was in the military, I spent 3 years on exchange duty in Australia. We lived in Cronulla and could walk to the stadium.

He would be, they look to be a quality team this year too. I'm a Manly Sea Eagles fan despite growing up in St George territory.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

One of the guys I play with has music on but you have to be next to his cart to hear it and that works for me. I won't play music on the course unless I'm playing alone. 

On the driving range I always have music on BUT I'm using my BT headphones - it eliminates some of the frustration sand boredom of my routines. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

One of the guys I play with has music on but you have to be next to his cart to hear it and that works for me. I won't play music on the course unless I'm playing alone. 

On the driving range I always have music on BUT I'm using my BT headphones - it eliminates some of the frustration sand boredom of my routines. 

I finally found a pair of headphones that work for the range or course (1 bud on course) they wrap around the ear and don’t get in the way. I always struggled with ear buds falling out until these

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

30 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

10 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I finally found a pair of headphones that work for the range or course (1 bud on course) they wrap around the ear and don’t get in the way. I always struggled with ear buds falling out until these

Which BT headphones do you guys use? Most I’ve tried don’t fit my ears (AirPods and the like)

1 minute ago, G56744 said:

Which BT headphones do you guys use? Most I’ve tried don’t fit my ears (AirPods and the like)

As I mentioned above, my wife uses BT Shokz bone conducting headphones.  They sit outside the ear on the skull and the quality of sound is quite amazing. Since they don't sit in or on your ears, if you don't want to hear what's going on around you, they might not be for you.  I think they have them available at some Best Buys and Dick's SG.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

1 hour ago, G56744 said:

I got a pair of J Lab Go  at Walmart. I think I paid $30 for them a year ago. The batteries seem to last for hours - and fit into a charging case. Inexpensive and they work without falling out. 

IMG_9605.jpg.6a4533d3862aeed239cbed1cc871e2f3.jpg

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 2/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, jeffjones said:

Generally I don’t like to have music played in my foursome. Maybe that’s a “get off my lawn” opinion.  What do others think?

10 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I don't mind music on the course... at reasonable levels.  Though, one of my playing partners that plays music... has one playlist... so I can tell what hole we are on base don the song playing haha. 

I sometimes wear my bluetooth wrap arounds when playing by myself.  It actually helps me be more "in the moment" of the golf shot and not thinking about the last shot, or the next several shots.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
5 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I don't mind music on the course... at reasonable levels.  Though, one of my playing partners that plays music... has one playlist... so I can tell what hole we are on base don the song playing haha. 

I sometimes wear my bluetooth wrap arounds when playing by myself.  It actually helps me be more "in the moment" of the golf shot and not thinking about the last shot, or the next several shots.  

I like to have them in but just 1. Try to be cognoscente of the surroundings if there are any wayward shots.

It Definitly distracts me which I like. I think I might try it with podcasts this year. Been doing that with work and I just get in the zone and am still absorbing information. Gonna give it the old college try. 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

I like to have them in but just 1. Try to be cognoscente of the surroundings if there are any wayward shots.

It Definitly distracts me which I like. I think I might try it with podcasts this year. Been doing that with work and I just get in the zone and am still absorbing information. Gonna give it the old college try. 

Not a bad thought... I may just try that as well. There is something to be said for using a level of "noise" to raise the distraction threshold.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
1 minute ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Not a bad thought... I may just try that as well. There is something to be said for using a level of "noise" to raise the distraction threshold.  

Any podcasts specifically ya play?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I was going to ask you the same, haha.  I haven't really delved into the podcast world... I listen to audible books quite a bit.  Just finished The Three Body Problem.  I listened to some of the Dax Shepard podcast, that is good.  And from some odd reason I got into the Elizabeth Holmes podcast (The Drop Out)... My listening is a little eclectic. haha. How about you?  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1