TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG Golf Balls

GolfSpy_APH

I'll be curious to see how MGS ball test photos. Based on the Shiels video, the cover looks pretty thick. That would indicate to me that we're going to be looking at a lower spin ball, at least around the green. My ultimate guess with this ball being made by a third party is this is just another arrangement of herbs and spices. The ball is probably going to fit some people better than others. 

PXG may have unintentionally created enough of a stir to actually motivate people to get a ball fitting or hit their balls on a launch monitor to get some numbers. I myself tend to play what is cheap and made the switch to Ksigs this year. I've always played well and enjoyed Ksigs when I've found them and played them over the last year. Then I finally asked myself why I wasn't playing them and went out and bought them. If I decide they aren't it, I'm out a whole $27 for two dozen.

At $35/dozen, I would consider the PXG ball. I think I'll try rounding up three or four balls I'm interested in and take them to a golf shop for some swings. My deep-down suspicion is that the ProV1 is the best ball for me based on past experience but paying $50+/dozen isn't how I want to spend my money.

6 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

Big Stu,

Absolutely good conversation; nothing in my response was meant to be adversarial, just good, open dialectic, critcal thinking discussion. Sounds like you have led and eventful and adventurous life sir. Personally I like to hear from the "resident old school curmudgeon" on any topic because they have probably forgotten more about a given subject than the current class of engineers and "smart people" will ever know.  I have seen plenty of repeated mistakes through the years because we failed to ask, or failed to listen to, those folks about how it had already been tried and the results.  I am not an engineer, but I do work with them so I am probably a little contaminated from proximity and prolonged exposure LOL.

Funny that you ended up with a Callawy product that way. I felt (honestly still feel) the same about their stuff, but I almost ended up with Apex irons because the fitting showed they performed; fortunately one more shaft change with the P790s showed a marked improvement over anything we could do with the Apex (sigh of ego, bias relief); but again in all honesty, they did "feel" good and if the dispersion numbers had been closer I probably would have ended up with them in my bag.

I love the discussion and challenge to paradigms so keep it coming. Make me think and question and who knows...we may see a MGS test soon that shows ball A performs best with clubs A, B and C and ball B performs best with balls B, D and X. THAT would be an interesting, if not extensive, test.

Cheers sir. Look forward to future discussions.

Trust me I have like 2 staff bags full of failed experiments especially wedge grinds. But then again I have had people come by and something caught their eye and I tell them take it and hit it. It may work for you but not me. When I was racing cars I had a big pile of scrap metal in the woods behind the shop some wrecks and a lot of motor experiments I hand grenaded.

And yes your theory on the different ball test with different irons with the Iron Byron taking out the human factor would be great. I did read something interesting on a FB feed today. It was talking about older golfers can not hit their 5 iron as good as their 7 iron due to diminished swing speed. I can see that on a standard shafted set of irons. I still hit my 4 and 5 decently but honestly I have mine tricked up with soft tipped 2X shafts and lead tape down low in the back. Now I will also say that I hit the 7&9 woods with no effort. One of the reasons I am a big proponent of tuning or fitting clubs to an individual. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I'll be curious to see how MGS ball test photos. Based on the Shiels video, the cover looks pretty thick. That would indicate to me that we're going to be looking at a lower spin ball, at least around the green. My ultimate guess with this ball being made by a third party is this is just another arrangement of herbs and spices. The ball is probably going to fit some people better than others. 

Not sure if you have watched the TXG video on the ball;  they show that the ball aligns pretty well to the ProV1x.   On a 50 yard and full wedge the Prov1x had about  200 RPM more spin,  7 iron the PXG had a little more and with driver the V1x had about 30 more.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I did read something interesting on a FB feed today. It was talking about older golfers can not hit their 5 iron as good as their 7 iron due to diminished swing speed.

this is typically the problem across all irons.  swing speed gets slower and all the irons start to overlap.  I've seen recommendations that older (or slow swing speed) players take a bunch of clubs out of the bag to spread out the gapping.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Kansas King said:

PXG may have unintentionally created enough of a stir to actually motivate people to get a ball fitting or hit their balls on a launch monitor to get some numbers. I myself tend to play what is cheap and made the switch to Ksigs this year. I've always played well and enjoyed Ksigs when I've found them and played them over the last year. Then I finally asked myself why I wasn't playing them and went out and bought them. If I decide they aren't it, I'm out a whole $27 for two dozen.

At $35/dozen, I would consider the PXG ball. I think I'll try rounding up three or four balls I'm interested in and take them to a golf shop for some swings. My deep-down suspicion is that the ProV1 is the best ball for me based on past experience but paying $50+/dozen isn't how I want to spend my money.

This is sorta on the lines of what Sub Diver and myself have been discussing. A lot of distance and accruracy has to do with ball compression. Ball compression has a lot to do with ones SS and AOA. Clubs themselves whether metal woods or irons have a lot to do with it too. Good example at 65 yoa and a buggered up back I do not have nearly the SS I had even 3 years ago. I can compress a softer ball pretty decent in warm weather. Now take a younger guy with more SS  if he could hit my irons and not rope hook it he would get a lot of air time and reduced distance and more spin in fact too much spin. On the PXG balls I have seen the cut away and it is a 3 piece which is what I hit mostly. For me to really make an accurate decision and form a honest opinion I would have to actually play one. I would also have to take into account how I am swinging that day and the temps and wind. Yep I am human and not an Iron Byron. But that is the reason they make so many different balls and perhaps millions of club head and shaft combos. My bottom line is one has to play what they feel comfortable with and fits their game

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

this is typically the problem across all irons.  swing speed gets slower and all the irons start to overlap.  I've seen recommendations that older (or slow swing speed) players take a bunch of clubs out of the bag to spread out the gapping.  

Absolutely I took the 2 and 3 irons out before my accident. I still carry and hit the 4 iron for some screamer head high cut shots. The 5 iron I mostly carry it to bump and run with and it is my lay up or get out of jail club. That is where the 7&9 woods come in for approach shots

Now today I was messing around with my vintage stuff and had my 54 Hogan Precisions in 2 thru 9 iron. With me on vintage I do not care about the score and like to attempt to relive my youth. I used to hit a 1 or 2 iron about 230 or so at sea level. LOL no more I did hit the old 2 iron for my second on a Par 5. LOL about head high maybe 170 or so at my best when it rolled out. I was also sorta cheating as far as pure vintage (WTH I make my own rules anyhow) I had my back up 7&9 woods in the bag which happen to be old Cally S2-H2. I flew the 7 wood to where the 2 iron stopped. And both of those have stock RCH 90 R shafts. I can remember when those shafts came out I could rope hook them off the planet. Now days a soft little high cut. On gapping numbers I do not for me go the traditional route. Note on my signature I go from a 3 wood at 15* to the 7 wood at 21*. People think I am nuts on my wedge gaps as I only carry 2 a 51* and a 58*. But some do not understand with traditional lofts my 9 iron is like 47*. I have been playing enough that I know how to deloft a club or loft it up. But I would never tell someone to go to my set up.

G

51 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Trust me I have like 2 staff bags full of failed experiments especially wedge grinds. But then again I have had people come by and something caught their eye and I tell them take it and hit it. It may work for you but not me. When I was racing cars I had a big pile of scrap metal in the woods behind the shop some wrecks and a lot of motor experiments I hand grenaded.

And yes your theory on the different ball test with different irons with the Iron Byron taking out the human factor would be great. I did read something interesting on a FB feed today. It was talking about older golfers can not hit their 5 iron as good as their 7 iron due to diminished swing speed. I can see that on a standard shafted set of irons. I still hit my 4 and 5 decently but honestly I have mine tricked up with soft tipped 2X shafts and lead tape down low in the back. Now I will also say that I hit the 7&9 woods with no effort. One of the reasons I am a big proponent of tuning or fitting clubs to an individual. 

Age does catch up quickly.  I’ve dropped the 5 & 6 irons for a hybrid and 7 wood full time but I think I may add a 6i back in because I’m hitting the 7i really well.  And you’re correct what works for me may not work for you, everyone has swings.  
min tinkering with driver shafts on my PXG driver.  I enjoy messing with that stuff.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

7 hours ago, Rickp said:

Age does catch up quickly.  I’ve dropped the 5 & 6 irons for a hybrid and 7 wood full time but I think I may add a 6i back in because I’m hitting the 7i really well.  And you’re correct what works for me may not work for you, everyone has swings.  
min tinkering with driver shafts on my PXG driver.  I enjoy messing with that stuff.

I think it was a few moons back we had the discussion on the 7 wood. I also have my bases covered on the hybrid end. I have a 20* and 24* set up for me. But traditionally me and hybrids have not gotten along and I have drifted towards the 7&9 woods. Next week I may put those 2 Adams hybrids in the Vintage cheater bag just to give them a whirl.

I have a Canadian bud from over on WRX who comes down to play here from time to time. Part of his fun is changing out driver shafts. LOL he carries like 5 different shafts in his bag and can change one out faster than a NASCAR pit stop. Like you he enjoys doing that. My fun these days depends on my attitude that day as to the equipment. I have so much stuff I can change around and with fading memory I can not remember sometimes if I have hit a certain club or can hit it. Lately it has been what I term the cheater set with the old Hogan irons 2 thru PW with a persimmon driver and the metal 7&9 woods. On the Saturday Shootouts I play the signature set because I feel I owe it to my partners to play what stuff I play best.

I played on a whim yesterday. Was not really planning on playing due to have some running around to do. I caught traffic and everything else good and got done sooner than expected. A bud of mine called and said there was a 2:00 tee time open and the course was not over crowded. Why not I told him? I had the signature stuff in the trunk. After like 5 holes I was putting lights out with the Scotty. He asked me why I messed around with other stuff and other putters? I had to explain to him that for me these days it was all about the fun factor and not the score factor. Like you said the fun factor and I do it a little differently than you do 

G

Reporting from off-shore, National Club Golfer.com:

What's new? How much do they cost? And how do they perform? Hannah Holden brings you the lowdown on the new PXG golf ball

by Hannah Holden | February 7, 2023 | Kit

PXG are back with a bang in 2023 as they bring a brand-new product to market. The premium PXG Xtreme golf ball. The final product is a culmination of nearly a decade of research and development in the golf ball category.

PXG Xtreme: The Technology

The PXG Xtreme golf ball has a three-piece construction, each layer is designed to add a different attribute to performance. The polybutadiene core is designed for maximum ball speed. The firm ionomer mantle layer further increases speed for maximum distance off the tee. The soft urethane outer cover then maximises spin for control around the greens.

It features a seamless 338-dot dimple pattern. This is engineered to deliver aerodynamic characteristics that maximise distance with the driver but also creates a high launching trajectory with optimal spin with irons and wedges.

Keep your eyes on the NCG website for the full review of the PXG Xtreme golf balls, coming soon!

The Details

Available: Now in UK 

RRP: £44.99  (44.99 British Pound Sterling equals $53.774 US Dollar)

* 338 dimple pattern would be a very low spinning ball.  In comparison to Titleist premium balls; Prov1- 388 pattern and Prov1x - 348 pattern. 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 2/7/2023 at 3:31 PM, G56744 said:

C1DC53AD-A76D-4644-A64B-FD43B3E721ED.jpeg.c32fb13785c6f84571dc92efa832f73a.jpeg

PXG published some new data regarding their golf ball. Using one club more and swinging 1 mph faster results in approximately 2000 fewer rpm’s. Titleist balls have similar results (but the old data was the 2021 ball; new data is 2023 ball). Old data is above. Here’s the new:

276B1906-594B-494F-909B-58040F96A971.jpeg.3a5e6da443a9827d580746eed74f4af9.jpeg

Finally got my new balls and had a chance to test them. It wasn't the best day as it was in the 50s and windy but I thought they performed very well. I didn't find them hard at all off the driver or irons. A little clicky sounding off the putter but still felt fine. The wind didn't seem to affect them much which is nice here in Kansas. Not sure about spin as the greens are still pretty firm as we've had a cold streak lately but on approach shots over a hundred yards they were within a few feet of my pitch mark which I would say would be normal for me with just about any high quality ball that I played this time of year. Short shots I played to bump and run and allow for rollout because I knew there wouldn't be much check right now but overall I was very pleased for the price. I bought three dozen to get free shipping and I was worried that I would be trying to sell them or give them away but I won't mind playing them out. Not sure if they will be my main ball forever but I won't have any trouble playing them along with maxfli tours or pro V's.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else tried playing it? I've played a couple of rounds now and have really enjoyed it. Feels like it goes a mile, have never hit my drives this far. Not sure if it's the ball or improvement made over the winter. Touch around the greens could use some work but was nothing detrimental to performance. A buddy of mine felt like it scuffed too easily but I haven't had that issue. I used to exclusively game Bridgestone BRX but have been experimenting with different companies this past year. So far I like the new PXG ball more than Callaway Chrome Soft and TaylorMade TP5 Pix.

Honma XP-1s, Rad Speed, and my trusty Scotty Cameron Triple Black

I used to look forward to retirement, but the high cost of golf balls is keeping me commuting!

Painting screws on the balls would just be rubbing it in! LOL

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

I played the PXG balls a couple of weeks ago in FL.  I like them.  Carry, roll and spin are comparable to Titleist and Maxfli Tour balls for me.  I like the way they feel from tee to green and the way they played.  Everything I saw validated the PXG literature and comparison testing I have seen on the web (TXG etc.).  But like other pieces of equipment, personal preference will dictate who likes it and who does not.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

25 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

I played the PXG balls a couple of weeks ago in FL.  I like them.  Carry, roll and spin are comparable to Titleist and Maxfli Tour balls for me.  I like the way they feel from tee to green and the way they played.  Everything I saw validated the PXG literature and comparison testing I have seen on the web (TXG etc.).  But like other pieces of equipment, personal preference will dictate who likes it and who does not.

And I saw on the GC a few minutes ago LA Golf has came out with a ball. And remember back when you and I were discussing Callaway equipment? With my wholesale equipment changes I now have 4 Callaway clubs in the bag. LOL what a departure for me. More modern with TM and Cally stuff in the bag. The only hold out is my Rusty Scotty Sant Fe. Yeah because of my back I went to graphite shafted irons which are stronger lofts than my old blades. Not really jacked per say about 2* stronger across the board. On the wedge end I had to go with a 52* gap wedge. Glad I did that thing has became my work horse wedge

G

Neighbor is a Ballhawk and a short time ago he found a PXG ball that was flawless and gave it to me.  I’ve played it a couple times alongside ProV1x (until I hit a cart path) and I like it.  If it were a blind test I don’t think I could tell them apart.  Even with the nasty cartpath ball was/is still playable.   
PXG has similar height, carry as Prov1x and around the green is great and putts well, feels good off the putter.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

26 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Neighbor is a Ballhawk and a short time ago he found a PXG ball that was flawless and gave it to me.  I’ve played it a couple times alongside ProV1x (until I hit a cart path) and I like it.  If it were a blind test I don’t think I could tell them apart.  Even with the nasty cartpath ball was/is still playable.   
PXG has similar height, carry as Prov1x and around the green is great and putts well, feels good off the putter.  

Cool thanks for the imput and 911 old buddy

G

I bought three dozen to kick off the season. I have a shed with a sim and I have hit the first ball over 300 times and have virtually no wear issues. So I’m looking forward to seeing the on course durability including sand traps, cart paths, direct tree hits. I wasn’t sure I’d like it off the putter, but my indoor putting work with PXG ball number 2 has exceed ed my expectations. I like these balls …

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

7 hours ago, golferguy2727 said:

I bought three dozen to kick off the season. I have a shed with a sim and I have hit the first ball over 300 times and have virtually no wear issues. So I’m looking forward to seeing the on course durability including sand traps, cart paths, direct tree hits. I wasn’t sure I’d like it off the putter, but my indoor putting work with PXG ball number 2 has exceed ed my expectations. I like these balls …

A lot of it with any ball and player is the course itself. My home course is so so fairway wise and we have a lot of hard spots. One can play good and hit fairways and GIRs and still beat any ball to crap there. Sand in the traps has to do a lot with it how course of fine it is can promote "wear" on a ball

G