TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA 2024: New Designated Event Format

GolfSpy MPR

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/03/01/pga-tour-approves-radical-schedule-changes-elevated-events/

Thought we should get discussion of the Tour's plans for next year: the designated events are now limited to 75ish players with no cut.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

7 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

I agree with what Pepperell had to say about it on twitter

https://twitter.com/PepperellEddie/status/1630976256660340751

I would like to see a cut too. Even if it was just the bottom 20 guys. 

That being said we will see how this shakes out. I like cuts because it makes me think harder on my fantasy picks, but the thought of someone who manages to break into the designated event after years of grinding and getting rewarded with a no cut event is also kinda appealing. 

So many different views and realistically until it starts it will be hard for me truly gather my opinion one way or another. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

15 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

I agree with what Pepperell had to say about it on twitter

https://twitter.com/PepperellEddie/status/1630976256660340751

Well the funny thing is, based on Eddie's world ranking, he wouldn't be eligible for most of the no-cut events.

The regular PGA Tour events still have cuts.  The players ranked 51+ in the world can play in those events WITH CUTS, play well, and make their way up the world rankings or even directly into an elevated event by winning. 

Lots of people and players making comments without full understanding how this is going to work.

And to be fair, the PGA Tour has done a poor job of communicating these changes and everything they entail -- leading to a lot of people on social media arguing with incorrect information

44 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Well the funny thing is, based on Eddie's world ranking, he wouldn't be eligible for most of the no-cut events.

The regular PGA Tour events still have cuts.  The players ranked 51+ in the world can play in those events WITH CUTS, play well, and make their way up the world rankings or even directly into an elevated event by winning. 

Lots of people and players making comments without full understanding how this is going to work.

And to be fair, the PGA Tour has done a poor job of communicating these changes and everything they entail -- leading to a lot of people on social media arguing with incorrect information

But will the players ranked 50 and below play in the no cut events and earn points even if they shoot +20?

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Max Homa’s take, from a player’s perspective. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpQc7pzNcEE/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I would encourage anyone on either side of the debate to listen to the NLU podcast. 

And not even for their opinions on the whole changes as they are good and value both sides, but they have PGA Tour playing Peter Malanati on as a guest who was on the board to vote for these decisions. He brings up great points, his view as an outside player looking in and on why this is a good thing for the tour moving forward. 

Do I agree with everything he says? Not necessarily, however he has a lot more knowledge then I do so I should probably trust him on this. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

It's been an interesting day on golf Twitter, that's for sure. Lee Westwood has been insufferable, he got the mute from me today.

Seems like all of the pro-LIV guys have feverishly grabbed onto any slight similarity like it's a big HAHA, or Gotcha moment.
In reality, I believe it's still no where near the product that LIV are offering.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

1 hour ago, Splatt said:

It's been an interesting day on golf Twitter, that's for sure. Lee Westwood has been insufferable, he got the mute from me today.

Seems like all of the pro-LIV guys have feverishly grabbed onto any slight similarity like it's a big HAHA, or Gotcha moment.
In reality, I believe it's still no where near the product that LIV are offering.

Even if it is broken down to both have no cuts in this situation, that is where it stops. You can play your way into those no cut events. The no cut events are on 8 I believe vs the 14 or more that is on LIV. The field size is 30+ more than LIV which is huge difference. 

A few points were made by Peter which made some sense. Golfers will still play the majority of their events in Cut events. A normal schedule being 18ish events. With 8 of those being non cut the remained will be cut events. 

I do believe this gives LIV more of a step to getting OWGR which fair enough. The whole system after this change should probably be redone again. 

The data showed a churn rate of 67 (I believe) stay in the top year over year and the remaining we see a change in who is there or goes up and down. Which I think is fantastic. He also talked about how growing the field size would would hurt that and what that data showed. 

I would still like to see say a top 50 cut after Saturday, but again am more willing to see this play out and what happens before jumping to be overly pro or against it. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I’ve been clear in my opinion that no pay cuts are unfair, at best, in today’s economic climate. I’m not going to rehash that argument. 

We have these events on the schedule already. They aren’t strictly”no cut” in that one can play his way in or out of them. 

I’d say it’s something that can be tweaked further but really any player whose name is being announced as in a field has people making money off of his image and likeness. He should be compensated cut or not. 

I was stated earlier that anyone may play for LiV, that’s not true, you need a contract to play for them. Even though it is highly unlikely that I will watch a moment of LiV I’m liking it more and more. Thus far we’ve seen some of the best golf ever. Even last weekend was great because guys were trying to move up into the bigger event pool. 

Im seeing this move as a step towards a better product, not an ending place. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

58 minutes ago, revkev said:

I was stated earlier that anyone may play for LiV, that’s not true, you need a contract to play for them. Even though it is highly unlikely that I will watch a moment of LiV I’m liking it more and more. 

This is evolving;  LIV will have a promotion/relegation system; similar to the PGA tour where players finishing high enough will be safe and players that finish below that line are subject to relegation.  Top Players on the Asian tour will be promoted to LIV.  Seem like the contract system is being modified 

https://sports.yahoo.com/pathways-liv-golf-explaining-league-161351530.html

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Max Homa’s take, from a player’s perspective. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpQc7pzNcEE/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Max Homa has a point about the non-designated events:

"On the topic of limited fields, Homa was particularly protective of those on the outside looking in. In restricting access to those high-money weeks to “70-to-80 players,” per Monahan’s memo, Homa argued the Tour’s intent wasn’t to keep players out, but rather to provide a lifeline to those in non-designated events.

“The part that’s frustrating and maybe just simply misunderstood is that if we made these fields very large in these designated events, it would ruin non-designated events,” Homa said. “It would ruin them. No one would play in half of them because it would no longer fit your schedule.”

Further fragmentation, divisiveness, and churn within professional golf... 🙄.  Folks can mince words and rationalize things the way they want to see it, but the PGA just added more no cut events - something they've consistently argued against as it pertains to LIV's format. Many of the player interviews I heard were "made for TV" responses and I suspect not what they really feel about the news.  Time will tell but I see this as creating a divide within the ranks and it may very well serve as a recruitment tool for service outside of the PGA.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Honestly to me, it almost sounds like desperation. and a fear of LIV. 

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

20 hours ago, poprocksncoke said:

Hopefully they change their minds, the no cut aspect takes away from the competitiveness.  What next shotgun starts?

Unfortunately, no cut at those events are to appease the big $$ sponsors. They want the stars around to draw crowds and viewers all four days. Smaller fields should eliminate the 5+ hr rounds and TV coverage going long.

It’s all about the  $$.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

30 minutes ago, jolter1 said:

Honestly to me, it almost sounds like desperation. and a fear of LIV. 

It’s their attempt to strengthen their court case by stressing qualifying to make the big $ grabs. The rest of it is to appease sponsors, TV coverage time/pace of play and Vegas.

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Further fragmentation, divisiveness, and churn within professional golf... 🙄.  Folks can mince words and rationalize things the way they want to see it, but the PGA just added more no cut events - something they've consistently argued against as it pertains to LIV's format. Many of the player interviews I heard were "made for TV" responses and I suspect not what they really feel about the news.  Time will tell but I see this as creating a divide within the ranks and it may very well serve as a recruitment tool for service outside of the PGA.

I would really encourage you to listen to the podcast from NLU. Please! It gives a great perspective. 

Again this could help LIV. By having more no cut events it may help them get OWGR faster?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

20 hours ago, cleve981 said:

The designated events are fantastic as long as there's plenty of ways for players to work their way into them. A mixture of events will be critical. The PGAT does a great job of showcasing its stars and following the journey of struggling golf pros.

The Honda was a perfect example of compelling golf WITH 72 holes of competition.
Those events are great for the “second tier” players to accel - with a more level field.
The stars aren’t there to take spots, points and money away. It will groom and showcase up and comers, while stressing the need to be competitive to EARN your money and status.

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I would really encourage you to listen to the podcast from NLU. Please! It gives a great perspective. 

Again this could help LIV. By having more no cut events it may help them get OWGR faster?

There’s still the 18 hole gap, stag day on steroids and team play issues that differentiate them. 

21 hours ago, poprocksncoke said:

Hopefully they change their minds, the no cut aspect takes away from the competitiveness.  What next shotgun starts?

54 hole events and team golf will be next. Monahan will follow Greg.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

5 hours ago, Splatt said:

It's getting closer to LIV.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

17 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

They will eventually play their way out of those events because of they keep playing like crap their world ranking will tank

I actually hadn't considered the OWGR angle before - but wouldn't it be the opposite? (full disclosure: I could be completely misunderstanding this)

The OWGR points are awarded in eligible tournaments (which designated events should be) based on position and strength of field. Seems like a solid solution for ranking players in a bunch of different tours and events with varying strengths of field. So as a recent example, Chris Kirk earned 31.24231 points for winning The Honda Classic and Max Homa earned 40.31926 for his 2nd place at The Genesis Invitational. Makes sense because the top ranked players at Honda were 18-20 while Genesis had all of the Top 10 and most of the Top 50 players competing - the strength of field was drastically different.

But won't that be the case at every designated event? Those should always have the greatest strength of field (which is part of the whole selling point, right?) since it will be the Top 50 previous season + Top 10 Current, otherwise + Current season winners, etc. But when you couple that with no-cut... now you have a not-so-hypothetical world #43 Kevin Kisner who's clever enough to know he makes money and earns OWGR and FedEx Cup points no matter what, while world #47 Jason Day (but #114 at the end of last season) potentially sits home an extra 8 weeks a year.

I picked Jason Day (OWGR stats) semi-randomly, but he's actually a good example. He was ranked #114 at the end of last season so would be ineligible for designated events that way. He finished T18 at the AMEX and T7 at Farmer's earning him ~11.8 OWGR points and ranking him #92; so he's still ineligible for WM Phoenix or Genesis (assuming the speculation is correct and those are both designated events) outside of sponsor exemptions or getting lucky with the math. So Jason Day sits home for two weeks instead of finishing 5 at WM Phoenix and T9 at Genesis (earning ~25 OWGR points and moving to #46).

I just don't see how this doesn't turn into a "the rich get richer" scenario. Sure there's compensations for current-season winners and top points-earners between designated events... but the majority of your 70-78 player field (Top 50 from the previous season) are locked in for 8 no-cut events which earns them points with any result besides a withdrawal. I concede it will only be 1-2 points if they finish last, but that's more than 0 points - and in the Jason Day example, those are the exact events players need to be in to move up the rankings - those are the events that allow for a player to move up the rankings in a meaningful way.

I mean if we're seeing the gap widen between a Kevin Kisner over a Jason Day, what's that going to look like for a Joel Dahmen, Anirban Lahiri, Rickie Fowler, or Kevin Na? To me, it seems like they'd have to grind even more: playing all 3 non-designated events (with cuts) in hopes of getting to the 2 designated events. More weeks on the road with potentially no income... which was one of the actually sympathetic arguments the LIV players made - the grind on tour is brutal and can break you financially.

Maybe I've got the math all wrong, but it looks like it will insulate the top players while making it a lot more challenging for players "on the bubble".

Driver:   :cobra-small: RadSpeed 9°
Fairway: :ping-small: G410 14.5°
Irons:     :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged
Wedges: :vokey-small: SM7 50°/54°/58°
Putter:    :ping-small: Redwood Anser

Well, boys -- and ladies -- you are witnesses to the creation of the DP USA Tour.

Is it possible this move is an indication that PGATour knows the World Golf Rankings are going to start counting LIV events?

PS- I refer to the non-designated events

Edited by mardukes

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove