Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Has Anybody heard or seen anything about the new SGX from Skycaddie?? We just had a training last night. Looks super cool. I will get my info together, and post what I know.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Yeah it tracks how far you hit your clubs I believe. You stick these little metal things into the butt of the grips.

Jamo - forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just went to the skycaddie site and the new SGX appears to be their answer to the Callaway uPro - no mention of "little metal things" :)

Not to threadjack this but I just picked up a SkyCaddie SG3 in a buy/sell/swap forum - black and white screen as opposed to the color of the SGX.

I'll say that the color screen is pretty eye catching and I've already heard from my friends (who don't own one)"you should have bought..." but if the utility is considered #1 then I think mine will be just fine.

Definately getting antsy to take it out to one of the courses I downloaded to check its accuracy and speed.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I have the SG5 - but being a gadget freak I might have to check out the SGX. Unfortunately the issue is getting my hands on one to try it first. If I could take it out for a round to see that it works and does so better than my G5 I would happily find the cash to upgrade somehow.

Jamo - forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just went to the skycaddie site and the new SGX appears to be their answer to the Callaway uPro - no mention of "little metal things" ;)

Here is a quote form SkyCaddie's press release. It mentions tags that go on each club, those are the little metal things. They call it SmartClub technology.

From SkyCaddie'sPress release:

SGX Enabled With SmartClubâ„¢ Technology

What truly defines the SGX as the next generation rangefinder is its compatibility with SkyCaddie's revolutionary SGX SmartClub Technology. Expected to be released later in 2010, SGX SmartClub Technology adds intelligence and a wireless communication link to each club in a golfer's bag. Upon removal of a club from the golfer's bag, SmartClub Tags located at the butt end cap of the grip establishes a direct communication link with the SkyCaddie.

This revolutionary connectivity adds new functionality and opens a huge portal to expand the game beyond the 18th green and to golf's future. For example, SGX Club Reminderâ„¢ utilizes SmartClub technology to alert a golfer if a wedge or other club is left behind before the player advances to the next hole. SGX Game Trackerâ„¢ can also utilize the same technology to capture the club used, the geo-location and distances of each shot, while eliminating most of the effort and distraction of manual entry. Captured round data and personal performance data are synced to Club SG for unparalleled post-game analytics or sharing with friends, teachers and fitters.

Some of the new features for SGX will include Smart Club, and an online chat board similar to this one. I have been selected to test one out for my store, and as soon as I am hands on, I will write a through review and post here.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Jamo - forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just went to the skycaddie site and the new SGX appears to be their answer to the Callaway uPro - no mention of "little metal things" ;)

Not to threadjack this but I just picked up a SkyCaddie SG3 in a buy/sell/swap forum - black and white screen as opposed to the color of the SGX.

I'll say that the color screen is pretty eye catching and I've already heard from my friends (who don't own one)"you should have bought..." but if the utility is considered #1 then I think mine will be just fine.

Definately getting antsy to take it out to one of the courses I downloaded to check its accuracy and speed.

rob

Rob - I agree with you on the utility aspect. I own a SG 2.5 and I think the black and white screen is fine.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Some of the new features for SGX will include Smart Club, and an online chat board similar to this one. I have been selected to test one out for my store, and as soon as I am hands on, I will write a through review and post here.

This actually sounds like a helpful tool. Illegal for tournaments because it can suggest clubs for yardages, right?

And Nic how did you happen to get selected. Were you on the selection committee? Was it a committee of 1?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Here is a quote form SkyCaddie's press release. It mentions tags that go on each club, those are the little metal things. They call it SmartClub technology.

From SkyCaddie'sPress release:

SGX Enabled With SmartClubâ„¢ Technology

What truly defines the SGX as the next generation rangefinder is its compatibility with SkyCaddie's revolutionary SGX SmartClub Technology. Expected to be released later in 2010, SGX SmartClub Technology adds intelligence and a wireless communication link to each club in a golfer's bag. Upon removal of a club from the golfer's bag, SmartClub Tags located at the butt end cap of the grip establishes a direct communication link with the SkyCaddie.

This revolutionary connectivity adds new functionality and opens a huge portal to expand the game beyond the 18th green and to golf's future. For example, SGX Club Reminderâ„¢ utilizes SmartClub technology to alert a golfer if a wedge or other club is left behind before the player advances to the next hole. SGX Game Trackerâ„¢ can also utilize the same technology to capture the club used, the geo-location and distances of each shot, while eliminating most of the effort and distraction of manual entry. Captured round data and personal performance data are synced to Club SG for unparalleled post-game analytics or sharing with friends, teachers and fitters.

Interesting. Will the Club Reminder prevent the tool playing behind me from sticking my brand new wedge in his bag and pretend that it's his? That would be revolutionary technology indeed.

Seriously though, I see potential in having the device collect yardages for each club although I wonder if you still have to "mark" the location of your ball to calculate the distance or does it do that automatically when you pull the next club? What if you pull the wrong club and then return it to the bag to select another?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

It wasn't me who chose me.... I'm not complaining though.

Yes, the Club thing remembers if you leave a club behind and reminds you when you leave the area. Pretty neat stuff

One other thing to add about GPS units regardless of make -

Be sure to check your ego in the parking lot -

Those "I hit the crap outa that thing, 280 yards every inch" give way to the cold, hard reality of GPS daylight.

You never saw a more despondent group of guys when I hit the mark button on my SG3 the other day. :)

rob

One other thing to add about GPS units regardless of make -

Be sure to check your ego in the parking lot -

Those "I hit the crap outa that thing, 280 yards every inch" give way to the cold, hard reality of GPS daylight.

You never saw a more despondent group of guys when I hit the mark button on my SG3 the other day. :(

rob

I can't wait for this... Nothing would make me happier.

• SPY VIP

Interesting. Will the Club Reminder prevent the tool playing behind me from sticking my brand new wedge in his bag and pretend that it's his? That would be revolutionary technology indeed.

Seriously though, I see potential in having the device collect yardages for each club although I wonder if you still have to "mark" the location of your ball to calculate the distance or does it do that automatically when you pull the next club? What if you pull the wrong club and then return it to the bag to select another?

Maybe there is a motion sensor that only triggers at a certain speed, such as swinging.

wrong club would not trigger then...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

As soon as I am "hands on" I will post a full review here, and let you have all the details.

As soon as I am "hands on" I will post a full review here, and let you have all the details.

Please do so. I have to figure out my GPS situation... whether to stick with my current unit, go phone based, or look into something else. Not real keen on the monthly subscription but the SGX functionality might justify the expense.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'll be looking forward to it. I'm still torn between GPS and laser rangefinder, and would like to hear some more input.

I'll be looking forward to it. I'm still torn between GPS and laser rangefinder, and would like to hear some more input.

I still am a fan of the Laser, but the SGX sure sounds good...

• 5 weeks later...

I've got one ordered at our pro shop, its been delayed a couple times, we thought it would be in last week. Now hoping this week!

I have an SG4 but its getting cranky in its old age (4th season with it).

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one ordered at our pro shop, its been delayed a couple times, we thought it would be in last week. Now hoping this week!

I have an SG4 but its getting cranky in its old age (4th season with it).

SGX show up yet???? we have ours in the shop, but "mine" is a bit behind the others...

I have an SG2 I've been using for years without problems and I use it 12 months a year.

Last week a SkyGolf rep was at our club remapping the course and hawking new models. He was on 14 when I got there and we checked my old model with the unit he uses to map courses and we had identical yardages wherever we went on the hole.

He was telling me about a new feature which would tell you if you left a club behind but I don't think this is out yet.

I'll keep the one I got. I always have it with me on the course but I may look at it 3-4 times a round.

Bob

Semper Fi

My Club

I have an SG2 I've been using for years without problems and I use it 12 months a year.

Last week a SkyGolf rep was at our club remapping the course and hawking new models. He was on 14 when I got there and we checked my old model with the unit he uses to map courses and we had identical yardages wherever we went on the hole.

He was telling me about a new feature which would tell you if you left a club behind but I don't think this is out yet.

I'll keep the one I got. I always have it with me on the course but I may look at it 3-4 times a round.

Bob

The left behind club thing is the SGX.

Just got it on Tuesday, played 9 with it in restricted mode, then got my SG4 membership transferred. Install and transfer was no problem on a Windows 7 PC (I am an IT consultant, so I'm used to dealing with this type of thing).

Played 9 with it yesterday, and while its going to take a little tinkering to get the settings where I want them, I think its going to be a quality unit. The green cursor movement is much smoother than the SG4, and the Inteligreen function seems much more accurate.

Did not use the scoring feature, plan on trying that on Saturday. 9 Holes barely moved the battery meter.

Now I'm waiting for them to release the bracket cradle, considering just buying a universal cradle from RAM mounts. Its only $23, whereas I'm sure the SkyCaddie specific model will be $40.

Really like the micro usb charger/sync cable. That was the worst part of the SG4.

Still too early to really have a solid opinion, but initial impression is very positive, and I can see that there's alot of potential in the new scoring features and the upcoming club tags.

Also, the pro at our course said that he is being rationed to 3 SGXs per month.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got it on Tuesday, played 9 with it in restricted mode, then got my SG4 membership transferred. Install and transfer was no problem on a Windows 7 PC (I am an IT consultant, so I'm used to dealing with this type of thing).

Played 9 with it yesterday, and while its going to take a little tinkering to get the settings where I want them, I think its going to be a quality unit. The green cursor movement is much smoother than the SG4, and the Inteligreen function seems much more accurate.

Did not use the scoring feature, plan on trying that on Saturday. 9 Holes barely moved the battery meter.

Now I'm waiting for them to release the bracket cradle, considering just buying a universal cradle from RAM mounts. Its only $23, whereas I'm sure the SkyCaddie specific model will be $40.

Really like the micro usb charger/sync cable. That was the worst part of the SG4.

Still too early to really have a solid opinion, but initial impression is very positive, and I can see that there's alot of potential in the new scoring features and the upcoming club tags.

Are you considering the club tags????

I still am a fan of the Laser, but the SGX sure sounds good...

The thing with the laser though is that you have to stop and aim it - regardless of how steady you are, a bit of time is involved.

My Skycaddie has the distance the moment I pull it out - absolutely zero time in getting distance.

In fact, if the groupings are relatively close I will call out yardage for each ball as I walk towards mine.

rob

Has Anybody heard or seen anything about the new SGX from Skycaddie?? We just had a training last night. Looks super cool. I will get my info together, and post what I know.

Look at sky golf's own support site:

http://clubsg.skygolf.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=79&sid=e806a188ed149a117555aea5e7822e0c.

There appear to be users having multiple issues with the units. Unfortuantly i am one. As the owner of a software company i am somewhat qualified to say that they have some issues here. I will keep the sgx in hopes of a software fix, but have reverted back to my SG5 for now.

Took the Skycaddie to Mesquite for a 5 round golf trip, 3 of the 4 courses were Skycaddie Premium courses and the unit worked flawlessly. A huge upgrade from my old SG4. The battery life is alot longer than the SG4 as well, I played 2 rounds between charges and judging by the meter it looked like it would go 3 rounds easily. Plugged it in again today and there was another update, this is the 3rd one in as many weeks, so they sure seem to be working pretty hard to get the bugs fixed.

As to the tags Nics, I don't really know. It depends on how much they cost and what all they are capable of tracking and how well they work. I will probably not be an early adopter of that technology, it seems like a great idea, but it also seems like something that could be very quirky. I have yet to use the scoring feature, although I plan to soon.

(That before should have been posted 4 days ago, forgot to hit "add reply")

As to now:

It seems I spoke too soon. After functioning flawlessly for a week away from home, it has now started again with the rebooting several times in the middle of a round.

Becoming a bit frustrated and can't say I'd recommend anyone else rush out and buy the SGX until they've worked out the bugs.

Thanks for all the info fellas. I am still waiting for my unit to arrive, but we have been selling a few. I might suggest a different unit until the problems are worked out.

Two more SGX updates since my last post here, they're really working hard at SkyCaddie. Now arguably they should have done all this before releasing it, but I suspect with anything new like the SGX there's just so much to it that its difficult to foresee all problems.

Anyhow, my SGX has worked flawlessly for a week now. No more mid-round lock ups and reboots. I'm going to try the scoring feature for the first time Monday.

Archived