TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where do tour players get metal spikes?

The new Ask Golf Spy has a question about metal spikes.  Which got me to thinking:  where do tour players who wear metal spikes get new production ones?  I did a web search and didn't find anything.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Probably direst from their sponsored shoe company. The company create a regular sole and applies the spike to them.

There also a metal spike called black widow that can be used as replacement for spiked gold shoes

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I can't find any Black Widow spikes with metal spikes.  They do have metal posts.  I found some old fashioned looking metal spikes on Amazon, but I can't find any that look like the ones the pros play that are a central metal spike surrounded by a plastic "mound".  Sort of a hybrid of the old metal spikes and the new soft spikes.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

15 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I can't find any Black Widow spikes with metal spikes.  They do have metal posts.  I found some old fashioned looking metal spikes on Amazon, but I can't find any that look like the ones the pros play that are a central metal spike surrounded by a plastic "mound".  Sort of a hybrid of the old metal spikes and the new soft spikes.

Probably not readily available since most courses don’t allow them. Here are some champ spikes with metal tips 

https://www.amazon.com/Champ-Stinger-Slim-Lok-Golf-Spikes

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Iirc Tiger wore the black widows, there’s a couple others I can’t remember off the top  of my head but the shoe manufacturers can do whatever they need to for the players. Tiger has had special shoes made for him due to his injuries. FootJoy has been around forever and made metal spikes forever so it’s easy for them

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Probably not readily available since most courses don’t allow them. Here are some champ spikes with metal tips 

https://www.amazon.com/Champ-Stinger-Slim-Lok-Golf-Spikes

Thanks, those may be the ones being used on tour.  I'm not planning on buying any, just curious.  I do miss that sound on concrete, though.

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 hour ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Thanks, those may be the ones being used on tour.  I'm not planning on buying any, just curious.  I do miss that sound on concrete, though.

Yeah, but I don't miss slipping and busting my keister on slick surfaces!!! 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 3 weeks later...

Most professional golfers today use soft spike shoes instead of metal spikes, which have largely been phased out due to their potential to damage the greens. Soft spikes are made of plastic or rubber and provide good traction on the course without causing excessive wear and tear on the greens. 

22 hours ago, ZaydenMiguel said:

Most professional golfers today use soft spike shoes instead of metal spikes, which have largely been phased out due to their potential to damage the greens. Soft spikes are made of plastic or rubber and provide good traction on the course without causing excessive wear and tear on the greens. 

Yes phases out for the non professional golfer and yes many pros have made a switch however there is still a small segment of pros who wear metal spikes or use something like the black widow.