TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Selection Suggestions

Good afternoon to all,

I'm currently looking to throw a new shaft into my TM Superfast2.0 3 wood. Not a huge fan of the stock matrix that came with it(or I can't help but think a little tinkering is good for the soul). I'm looking to go a more mid launch and my

current thought is a RIP Beta 64g stiff because I can grab one at a fairly reasonable price. I also was hoping to add a little more heft to this thing. Lighter is faster is longer but I'm just not feeling it. I know I'm going to have to shim it due to .335-.350 difference. But I'm also not completely sold on the Beta. I'd like to hear some thoughts on what else i could look at to give me a mid launch and get a little more effectiveness off the tee with this club. Any suggestions are always appreciated as I know this is one of the best places to come for honest feedback.(Sometimes brutally honest but that's what I love most about it)

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

UST tour black (listed for high launch, low spin) Aldila Voodoo (Mid launch, Mid spin) GD YS+7 (Mid launch, Mid spin)

The voodoo and the UST are some of the nicest shafts I have ever hit. I have the UST tour black in my two fairways and the Voodoo in my 09 superfast driver.

Hope that helps,

As always go get fit!!!!

Also if you know a shaft that felt great to you here is a website to help you find other shafts that are rated the same way..

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/Cleveland_Golf_Srixon_Custom_Catalog_Spring_2011.pdf

Just compare the Flex codes to see what you would like :) :) :)

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Thanks for the link to the chart. It was actually pretty interesting and helpful. I am going with a RIP Beta for now. Just scored one for $70 shipped so it was kind of hard to pass on the deal. I love the RIP'D NV and actually I'd be hard pressed to argue with any of the Aldila shafts. They just seem to work for me.

I'd recommend a fitting, personally. It also depends on what you're looking to do with it. Is it gonna be primarily a tee club or a fairway club? If its a tee club, you may want to go even heavier (at least that's always been the experiences I've had for guys that don't have trouble generating swing speed). The higher static weight slows the swing down just a touch and gives people more control (mine are all 80 gram or higher shafts except for one, and it's a 79 gram).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

for fairway metals I tend to go with an 80+ gram shaft I like the additional weight for feel and control of the head. A fitting is always the best way to go depending on if you are looking for control or more distance from the fairway metal.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

As RB and JM mentioned, getting a good fit is probably the best call.

If we're just spit balling good fairway shafts though I think it's pretty hard to look past a Code 7 or 8, Ilima or Fubuki Tour 73. All have good feel and they all have a good launch due to a more active tip, which is great for those off the deck fairway shots, but are stable enough to handle a wide variety of swings.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I've never done a shaft fitting aside from the options I had for my irons. I know the Lotus Golf ceneter here in Columbus does them but I'm not exactly sure about all the details and I've been under kind of a cash crunch with my dough tied up in other non-golf related projects. This is why my last couple shafts have come through ebay. Between my Rip'd NV and my Rip Beta I spent $115 bucks shipped.(What can I say, I'm cheap haven't paid full price on equipment in a while) Although seeing as I'm considering also reshafting my hybrid I may have to check back into a fitting after all. But the results I've been getting have also been more than satisfactory for my level of play. If I'm leaving a lot on the table from the lack of a fitting I'm really not seeing it. Actually I've been thrilled with the way everything has been coming together but I'm always looking for the feedback and info that I can only get here. Which reminds me, Thank you to all that have responded to this thread I really do appreciate the differing points of view.

Speaking of hybrid shafts, RB7 I was bouncing around on the classified for a hot minute and noticed you had a rescue with a Talamonti H100. I've only just found out about them through a couple posts here and there and just checked out their website but would love to hear about your experiences with the shafts. Seems like reasonable prices and high quality product. But I only believe so much of what I read online. Thanks in advance.

THe UST VTS tour spx has just got into my bag and I must say I am thrilled.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Speaking of hybrid shafts, RB7 I was bouncing around on the classified for a hot minute and noticed you had a rescue with a Talamonti H100. I've only just found out about them through a couple posts here and there and just checked out their website but would love to hear about your experiences with the shafts. Seems like reasonable prices and high quality product. But I only believe so much of what I read online. Thanks in advance.

I ended up keeping that one. Phil is about as nice a guy as I've ever met and he really works hard to help his customers personally, one on one. He has a business model based on word of mouth. No marketing and no middle man, he sells direct to players. I've been more than satisfied with his product (I've ordered a pile of it, just ask him lol). He's well qualified as well, working with all sorts of PGA golfers, including a former world #1 when he was at SST and developed their SST Pure system. He incorporates his new version of that technology into every shaft he sends out too with what he refers to as MOI Optimization. Give him a shout on Facebook or his site or via eBay and ask him any questions you have, I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any you have.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived