Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Higher trajectory with heavier and stiffer shafts?

TheWalrusAL

Can anyone explain why I might hit irons with a heavier, stiffer shaft 30+ feet higher, consistently straighter, and just as far as (or further than) my gamers?

A buddy offered me his near mint Miura CB57s for peanuts, so I figured I’d play a round or two, hit the simulator, and then maybe reshaft or sell them. The shafts are Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s in X-stiff.   Maybe 6+ years ago I found the Miura PP 9003 heads and had them fitted at 2nd Swing with KBS $-Taper Lite 100g stiff shafts….big fan of JDM clubs at a more American price point.

I put the CB57s in the bag today.  My total distance seemed about the same or a little longer than with my gamers, but I launched the ball way higher, very straight, and seemed to have more spin. Honestly, the CB57 5 and 6 irons went probably 30+ feet higher than with the PPs, and the PPs have slightly weaker lofts. 5 iron carried probably 190, 6 iron 180, both 5ish yards of rollout. Usually I’m landing them shorter and getting more rollout.

I typically launch the ball pretty low with the long and mid irons and play a draw. The miss is a hook that I’d always attributed to my grip getting too weak or my path too inside out (carpenter, not the hammer). 105 mph driver swing speed, and I’m a fit, strong guy. Index will range from 6-8 through the season.  Also, when I got shaft fitted to the PPs, I had a longer, shallower backswing and an earlier release than I do now.

Can anyone help with an explanation for the higher, straighter ball flight with no distance lost? I hypothesized that I’d block a few right, maybe lose a little distance, and I really didn’t expect to launch it higher.  Lower CG on the CB57s? Heavier, stiffer shafts helping with path and face control?  Seems like it’s time to go get fitted for something new…

Thanks in advance. I can get some trackman numbers with both clubs if it’ll help. 

Edited by TheWalrusAL

Curious to see the responses to this. Testing out a 10g heavier shaft in a couple clubs and experiencing pretty good results so far. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

6 hours ago, TheWalrusAL said:

Can anyone explain why I might hit irons with a heavier, stiffer shaft 30+ feet higher, consistently straighter, and just as far as (or further than) my gamers?

A buddy offered me his near mint Miura CB57s for peanuts, so I figured I’d play a round or two, hit the simulator, and then maybe reshaft or sell them. The shafts are Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s in X-stiff.   Maybe 6+ years ago I found the Miura PP 9003 heads and had them fitted at 2nd Swing with KBS $-Taper Lite 100g stiff shafts….big fan of JDM clubs at a more American price point.

I put the CB57s in the bag today.  My total distance seemed about the same or a little longer than with my gamers, but I launched the ball way higher, very straight, and seemed to have more spin. Honestly, the CB57 5 and 6 irons went probably 30+ feet higher than with the PPs, and the PPs have slightly weaker lofts. 5 iron carried probably 190, 6 iron 180, both 5ish yards of rollout. Usually I’m landing them shorter and getting more rollout.

I typically launch the ball pretty low with the long and mid irons and play a draw. The miss is a hook that I’d always attributed to my grip getting too weak or my path too inside out (carpenter, not the hammer). 105 mph driver swing speed, and I’m a fit, strong guy. Index will range from 6-8 through the season.  Also, when I got shaft fitted to the PPs, I had a longer, shallower backswing and an earlier release than I do now.

Can anyone help with an explanation for the higher, straighter ball flight with no distance lost? I hypothesized that I’d block a few right, maybe lose a little distance, and I really didn’t expect to launch it higher.  Lower CG on the CB57s? Heavier, stiffer shafts helping with path and face control?  Seems like it’s time to go get fitted for something new…

Thanks in advance. I can get some trackman numbers with both clubs if it’ll help. 

I don't think it is solely the shaft. 

The head and loft will have a far greater influence on Launch and Spin. 

The shaft may help with your timing and potential put your swing in a slightly different position which can make a difference.

Definitely get some numbers, it should help clear a lot of this up and of you can find loft numbers for both sets it may help determine some of where this is coming from!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Need actual numbers like dynamic loft, spin, launch, peak height and descent angle to say for sure

The modus iirc are going to play softer than the $ taper.

So there’s something with the club head and shaft that has resulted in a change in how you deliver the club. That’s the simple explanation but without the numbers we don’t know what changed and why.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 hours ago, TheWalrusAL said:

Ideally get trackman numbers and get actual club measurements for length and loft.  Stock the CBs are higher loft so that would potentially account for more height due to loft and more spin.    Also,  maybe you are making more centered contact with the new clubs so you get better flight or the shafts are a better fit than what is in your other clubs.  

Essentially it is impossible to provide any reasoning without more details on ball and club conditions via a launch monitor; anything else is just speculation.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG