Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Palm Springs Area Ideas

SteveGH7

Hi all,

Going to Palm Springs area in late September with some golf buddies for a birthday trip.  We are staying near PGA West (Jack Nicklaus Tournament) so will probably include it or another PGA West the first late afternoon we arrive.  We are looking to play two other courses the next day, preferably under $100 each.  Considering Indian Canyons (either North or South), and maybe even the Indio night course, but open to suggestions.  The only other course I'm familiar with in the area is Terra Lago.  

Thanks for the suggestions!

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

11 hours ago, SteveGH7 said:

Hi all,

Going to Palm Springs area in late September with some golf buddies for a birthday trip.  We are staying near PGA West (Jack Nicklaus Tournament) so will probably include it or another PGA West the first late afternoon we arrive.  We are looking to play two other courses the next day, preferably under $100 each.  Considering Indian Canyons (either North or South), and maybe even the Indio night course, but open to suggestions.  The only other course I'm familiar with in the area is Terra Lago.  

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have fun on your trip!  Be advised that September/October is time when courses are overseeding and will be closed, so make sure you check their schedules.

I was there a year ago and will be going back next Feb/Mar... probably staying at Terra Lago; both fun courses, but seemed a little run down last time I was there.  The Nicklaus Tournament course is great; been a long time since I played it though.   I always play Indian Canyons; I'm partial to the longer North Course as it was the original and enjoy the nostalgia of old Palm Springs houses.  The South Course is fine, but a few tricky holes IMO... good restaurant for breakfast and lunch.  Indian Springs in Indio is a nice course; the rock and roll bar and grill has guitars all over the walls everywhere!!  The deck is a great place to have a beer and watch play on #18.  I like Cimarron Boulder Course off Ramon Rd... wide open and challenging!  It also has the Pebble Course with is a very challenging 18 hole par 3 with a few par 4 holes; maybe do both?!  I stayed there last time.  You can also get some deals on the Mission Hills Gary Player and Pete Dye courses.  There are many others that are good, but the prices go up very quickly!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Have fun on your trip!  Be advised that September/October is time when courses are overseeding and will be closed, so make sure you check their schedules.

I was there a year ago and will be going back next Feb/Mar... probably staying at Terra Lago; both fun courses, but seemed a little run down last time I was there.  The Nicklaus Tournament course is great; been a long time since I played it though.   I always play Indian Canyons; I'm partial to the longer North Course as it was the original and enjoy the nostalgia of old Palm Springs houses.  The South Course is fine, but a few tricky holes IMO... good restaurant for breakfast and lunch.  Indian Springs in Indio is a nice course; the rock and roll bar and grill has guitars all over the walls everywhere!!  The deck is a great place to have a beer and watch play on #18.  I like Cimarron Boulder Course off Ramon Rd... wide open and challenging!  It also has the Pebble Course with is a very challenging 18 hole par 3 with a few par 4 holes; maybe do both?!  I stayed there last time.  You can also get some deals on the Mission Hills Gary Player and Pete Dye courses.  There are many others that are good, but the prices go up very quickly!!

PGA West is my favorite out there. That's the Dye course, which is super cheap in the shoulder season but goes up quickly in winter. I forget the other course I played out there, but PGA west always my pick.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 4 weeks later...

Played the Pete Dye Mountain Course last February and had a really great time, highly recommend. Sunrise from tee box 1 is fantastic and the tee shot from 16 is as dramatic as it gets. 

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice (golf) shots in one's pajamas before breakfast." ~ Alister MacKenzie (And also me)

• 4 weeks later...

I was just out there a few weeks ago. I have a friend that lives there and we play quite often. PGA West is a must not only do. They have great courses, but they're usually relatively affordable compared to some of the other ones that aren't as nice. I would say skip Tahquitz (close to Cimarron) and recommend checking out Desert Willow if you can. It's a bit pricy but great course

Untitled design-3.png

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

If you get a chance to do some non-golf stuff, highly recommend the gondola ride to the top of the mountain!

https://pstramway.com/

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 8:44 AM, StrokerAce said:

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

If you get a chance to do some non-golf stuff, highly recommend the gondola ride to the top of the mountain!

https://pstramway.com/

Be sure to take warm clothes!  I was there many years ago in July and it was cold up on top... still snow in the shadows!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @SteveGH7 - what a great choice of golf destination! Palm Springs is epic.

From my perspective, you've already mentioned the best course you can play there - PGA West. 

For under $100 I would also recommend, just as @knotthead17 did, Desert Willow. There are two courses there but I'd definitely recommend the Firecliff course. 

Two other recommendations to throw out there. First one - check out Classic Club, 20 mins from PGA West and one of the finest Arnold Palmer Design creations IMO...and also SilverRock Resort. Its round the corner from PGA West (less than 10 mins), again another Arnold Palmer design....although the latter you might struggle to get under $100. 

I hope that helps 🙂

Founder of yourgolfcourses.com - a website with the aim of helping the everyday golfer research where to play golf by featuring a load of 'best golf courses' and 'best public golf courses' lists in x state or y golf destination. 🙂⛳