TESTERS WANTED! ×

KIKKOR Golf Slyder-Vancouver Skyline – REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

KIKKOR Golf Slyder-Vancouver Skyline – REVIEW

An Official MyGolfSpy Review

DSC_0030.jpg

“That was my skull. I'm so wasted”

For those of you of the younger generation, that is a quote from Jeff Spicoli in the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High. If you haven't seen the movie, then you may be wondering why I it bring up at the beginning of a review about shoes. Those who have seen the movie know that just prior to saying that line, Spicoli hits himself in the head with a checkerboard Van's slip on shoe about ten times. I loved those shoes as a kid, though never so much as to whack myself in the melon a few times with one. I still love those shoes. Here is a shot of this year's birthday present.

IMG_0782.jpg

I think that it goes without saying that I was quite excited when I saw that Kikkor was bringing a golf version of one of my favorite shoes to market this year.

DSC_0029.jpg

Aesthetics

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves with these shoes. Not because I don't think that they look great, but much like the Van's, people seem to love or hate this style. Guys at the local shop were either in the “sweet” or “I hate Van's” camp with no undecided responses. I think that Kikkor has taken this “classic” style of shoe and worked it into a golf shoe that is true to its casual lineage. As one who loves the style, the Kikkor Slyders do not dissapoint one bit in the looks department.

DSC_0033.jpg

Fit

One thing about loafers of any kind is that you really are in a fit or no-fit situation. There are no laces to snug up to unite the shoe with the foot. Kikkor has addressed the fit equation in a few different directions. First, there is some flex in the fabric and also a nice bit of elastic that attaches the top of the shoe to the sides. The elasticity allows you to stretch the opening as you put in your foot, but also allows it to retract onto your foot when you let go.

DSC_0023.jpg

Kikkor has also included a second set of insoles to address the needs of people with a wider foot. As one with square feet, I loved this option. Funny thing about the insoles though. I fully planned upon pulling out the regulars and going 100% wide. However, when I wore the shoes with thinner dress socks, the shoes actually felt a bit loose. The extra insole allows one to adjust fit for sock thickness. This is a cool feature for a shoe without laces.

DSC_0015.jpg

Comfort and Play

The shoes fit great, and along with that, they are quite comfortable. They really do feel like shoes as compared to traditional golf shoes, although admittedly that line is getting blurrier every day. I can definitely see myself wearing them casually after the spikes wear down so that they are no longer golf effective.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

As for the course, I think that it is important to follow Kikkor's guideline for when the Slyders are appropriate for your round. From the Slyder product page

“The lightweight canvas materials on a slip-on upper design make the Slyder a perfect option for a late evening nine or a trip to the local range.”

These are not your survive-the-elements type of golf shoe. They are a casual shoe for a dry course or range. They hold the turf, even wet turf, but they are not waterproof. You just need to be aware that these are not quite the ATV type shoes that you may be used to. Another thing that I noticed is that they are not quite as snug on the foot as my more traditional shoes. If you are one who really cinches the laces when you play, these may feel a bit loose to you. They are not a fully-structured golf shoe, but again, they were not intended to be such a shoe. For me, these are a great play nine with the guys after work shoes where camaraderie and a few beers are more important than score. They are still great to play in, but by Kikkor's own statement, a situational shoe.

Value

So value seems like it would suffer from the situational nature of these shoes. However, these are only $64 shoes. Having worn these shoes and observed their construction, I am confident is saying that this is a great deal for these shoes. I would suggest that you try them on to be sure that they fit, but I also suggest that you remember that these will fit and thus feel a bit different than the shoes you may be used to.

To me, the Kikkor Slyders just say, “All I need are a tasty Sunday bag, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.”

DSC_0027.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Looks really nice, but I'm not sure I would ever take them on the course (as you mentioned in the review). I bought a pair of Ecco streets and regret bringing those out just once. Great for the range though.

They worked great on the course in the afternoon. I think that these may be fantastic in the summer. Especially for the beer and buddies rounds.

Volvo Intorqueo

Nice looking shoes... I'm not sure I would wear them on the course, but without the spikes, they would be perfect for the drive, and hanging out in the clubhouse.

At $64 the price is a lot lower than anything else I've seen in that class of shoe...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I've looked at this brand of shoes in the past and was never able to find a pair in my size (14). I wonder if they've changed the mentality and are making larger sizes? Very cool shoe and good review!

They made the Dress Sneaker in size 14. Not sure which styles are offered in 14 this year, but I think there are a couple. I feel your pain.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Do they make them in wide sizes?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Do they make them in wide sizes?

As someone who only wears wides, these are perfect for me at my usual 10.5, especially with the thinner insert.

Volvo Intorqueo

As someone who only wears wides, these are perfect for me at my usual 10.5, especially with the thinner insert.

Duh, if I'd actually read the review rather than skimmed it then I would not have asked in the first place. Sorry man. BTW, nice job on the review! ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived