Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why is golf so expensive?

Expensive is relative and related to how much disposable income a person has and how much they spend on a particular hobby.   

i can purchase equipment for what I consider to be an inexpensive price.  Used clubs from the early 2000s (or earlier) are still decent clubs and can be obtained for a couple hundred dollars. I can buy used balls in bulk.  I can play twilight rounds of golf at municipal courses relatively inexpensively.   I don’t have to drink alcohol while on the course; which is an expensive purchase.  

I can choose to get fit, buy the latest and greatest equipment, play a new ball every hole, play prime time at a private course and the game becomes much more expensive.  

most every hobby can be expensive; it is about the individuals perspective and how they choose to spend their money while doing that hobby.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Expensive is relative and related to how much disposable income a person has and how much they spend on a particular hobby.   

i can purchase equipment for what I consider to be an inexpensive price.  Used clubs from the early 2000s (or earlier) are still decent clubs and can be obtained for a couple hundred dollars. I can buy used balls in bulk.  I can play twilight rounds of golf at municipal courses relatively inexpensively.   I don’t have to drink alcohol while on the course; which is an expensive purchase.  

I can choose to get fit, buy the latest and greatest equipment, play a new ball every hole, play prime time at a private course and the game becomes much more expensive.  

most every hobby can be expensive; it is about the individuals perspective and how they choose to spend their money while doing that hobby.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Define expensive?

To me golf will cost only what someone is willing to spend. The average weekend golfer can buy used clubs and play them for as long as they want and enjoy the game. The golfer can play 9 or munis for low cost, they could play off hours and save cost in green fees. There are balls for varying prices. 

Expensive is also relative to one’s expendable income. A rolls Royce for most people is expensive but to a multi millionaire or billionaire it’s not that expensive. 

Golf like any hobby will cost more money the more one dives into the hobby. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Define expensive?

To me golf will cost only what someone is willing to spend. The average weekend golfer can buy used clubs and play them for as long as they want and enjoy the game. The golfer can play 9 or munis for low cost, they could play off hours and save cost in green fees. There are balls for varying prices. 

Expensive is also relative to one’s expendable income. A rolls Royce for most people is expensive but to a multi millionaire or billionaire it’s not that expensive. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Define expensive?

Define expensive?

Define expensive?

Define expensive?

Define expensive?

Define expensive?

The maintenance cost of keeping the golf course itself up ranges from $700,000 to $1,400,000 per year.  The average number of rounds played on a course are 30,000. Right off the bat you are looking at $23.00 to $47.00 just to play and the course breaks even. Well not really once you add in payroll, property tax, insurance, and bla bla bla.

Equipment has always been an issue but really like everything else. You buy new and it depreciated the minute it leaves the store. Being in manufacturing most of my career, I know what the material costs are, and clubs are made for so much less than what you pay for them. However, you are paying for their marketing, research and development and profit. Personally, I have always purchased one model year old equipment and saved 50%. I don't need to play a Pro V1 when a Maxfli Tour will give me the same results. I buy new golf shirts at Ross, Marshalls or TJ Max at over 50% off the original price and it is still name brand stuff. It's not that I'm cheap it is about saving money to play more golf and kind of how I was raised. We all work hard for our money, so I try to get the most out of it. 

I'm a member of a Country Club because it made more sense. There was no initiation fee, the monthly dues are less than if I played golf three times at a public course or once at a high-end course. Now I can play unlimited golf and still treat myself to other courses once in a while.

At the end of the day, you can do things the inexpensive way or not. It depends on the type of person you are and what your income situation is. But you can always make it work.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

The maintenance cost of keeping the golf course itself up ranges from $700,000 to $1,400,000 per year.  The average number of rounds played on a course are 30,000. Right off the bat you are looking at $23.00 to $47.00 just to play and the course breaks even. Well not really once you add in payroll, property tax, insurance, and bla bla bla.

Equipment has always been an issue but really like everything else. You buy new and it depreciated the minute it leaves the store. Being in manufacturing most of my career, I know what the material costs are, and clubs are made for so much less than what you pay for them. However, you are paying for their marketing, research and development and profit. Personally, I have always purchased one model year old equipment and saved 50%. I don't need to play a Pro V1 when a Maxfli Tour will give me the same results. I buy new golf shirts at Ross, Marshalls or TJ Max at over 50% off the original price and it is still name brand stuff. It's not that I'm cheap it is about saving money to play more golf and kind of how I was raised. We all work hard for our money, so I try to get the most out of it. 

I'm a member of a Country Club because it made more sense. There was no initiation fee, the monthly dues are less than if I played golf three times at a public course or once at a high-end course. Now I can play unlimited golf and still treat myself to other courses once in a while.

At the end of the day, you can do things the inexpensive way or not. It depends on the type of person you are and what your income situation is. But you can always make it work.  

Maintaining 80 - 200+ acres of grass and vegetation is expensive, even at lower-end golf courses. This props up the cost of everything else. If people can afford to play on really any golf course, then they can also afford more expensive equipment and other more expensive stuff. Yes, there are less expensive ways to play golf but none compete with the costs of other "leisure" sports. Bowling and billiards would cost a fraction of even cheap golf in the long run. It all comes down to the real costs of the product being offered.

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

However, you are paying for their marketing, research and development and profit

Also paying so the middle man can also make money. 

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Western Birch Tees: 6.99 or 7.99 direct from their website

In stores on on retailer websites they're 12.99 or 14.99

Crazy retailer markup

Western Birch Tees found on the ground at the range or on the course - Free