Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why is golf so expensive?

I golfed a couple times as a kid and a couple more times as a young man, but I didn't take it up until 2021 when my son was 20 and had interest.  We both now lament the fact that we didn't start sooner.  To me it was the cost associated with it; something I just couldn't financially justify.  From the outside looking in, it's a very pricey endeavor.

There's a lot of people who can't afford to get into golf because of that initial expense.  It's just like the people who have to use the laundromat rather than buy a new washer/dryer.  They can afford the couple bucks each week for laundry but can't afford to save up for something in house.  Yes, having your own unit in house is cheaper in the long run but that's not always feasible.

Knowing what I know now, I'm fortunate to live in an area where I can get all the equipment I would need at the thrift store for under $50 and walk nine in town for $11 a round.  That place also has a nine hole short course (under 100 yards on every hole) that you can practice on for just $1.

Long story short, yes it's expensive.  But as others have said, if you can afford it or know where to look, it doesn't have to be.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

On 3/7/2023 at 7:38 AM, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Western Birch Tees: 6.99 or 7.99 direct from their website

In stores on on retailer websites they're 12.99 or 14.99

Crazy retailer markup

If you calculated the cost of running a retail business...rent, payroll, training, utilities, insurance, advertising, customer support etc, and distribute that cost through the sales price of your inventory, so you at least break even, it becomes clear that compared to the cost of renting a warehouse in the boonies with minimal staff, it is the cost of the retail environment that is crazy.

I think the comments that say golf being expensive is all relative are lazy. It is so easy to say, well its expensive to you and not expensive to me. Its lazy and offers zero substance. If you buy old clubs, you don't get fit, if you buy used balls, chances are you are never going to play your best. I fully understand that buying old clubs can work and for some people starting the game. It did for me.

New clubs and equipment is not ALL about speed. What the marketing teams do at these large companies is market speed because it equates to distance. No one ever talks about dispersion or consistency. If I have a brand new driver that is $629.99 like most 2023 drivers are and I have a off the rack Taylormade M2 for $129.99, there is a massive difference there. But with the NEW most forgiving driver your dispersion is now a 30 foot circle instead of a 60 foot circle. You buy new every single time and twice on Sunday. Do you not want to play your best golf? Do you not want to shoot lower scores? Buying new equipment is expensive, its expensive in every aspect of the game. From getting fit, being fit into an upgraded shaft, the actual purchase of the club, getting lesson, greens fees, initiation fees, other club fees, handicap fees, everything in the game has a price. Whether you make one million a year or 50k a year. My hope would be as the game grows as rapid as it is, is that people want to play and be the best golfer they can.

Some areas of the country are better than others to keep the costs down on greens fees. But with the growth of the game since covid tee times are at a premium, some golf courses can charge whatever they need to and or want to because people will still come and play. 

Golf is expensive, it is one of the most expensive sports to start playing and also try play competitively. If you want to take your kid out to learn the game, it is very difficult to do at a public course and not piss people off all around you. You can start on the range but they ultimately will want to actually start playing holes. That is where a membership is beneficial. I would like to know how many of the amateur or junior golfers grew up playing private clubs and who was grinding in the garage crushing balls into a net because greens fees or range balls are at a high price. 60 range balls can be $12+ for water logged rocks. 

Golf is expensive, golf is hard, golf is as mind-numbing game that seeks perfection that can never be reached. Play your best, spend your money, have fun, and remember hit them straight. 

Tees are an excellent example in a microcosm of what the general cost debate boils down to.

I know people who are particular on what they use and believe using a particular tee, especially with their driver, will yield better results. Those people fork over as much as $1 each for brush tees and other gimmicks that get lost in the wind eventually. $15 + monthly is built into their Golf budget because they consider the cost of having their preferred equipment worth it.

I also have friends who have never spent a dime on a tee. They pick up all the ones they find on the downhill par 4s and 5s they play in the tee graveyard that exists in the high grass in front of most elevated tee boxes. When hitting an iron from the tee they find whatever broken bit of a tee they can find around the tee box. 

Me personally I fall in the middle. I buy the 14.99 bag of tees at the sporting goods store that lasts me all season. I also consciously look to pick up good tees I can use around tee boxes, but I'm not going to use a tiny broken piece or one that has been chipped in half on the top.

Tees are a small expense, but it illustrates the variation in expense throughout the game to note that some people pay $175 annually on tees and some people use ones they find free. It's true also with balls, bags and to a certain degree golf clubs as well.

Golf is as expensive as the golfer makes it. 

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

3 hours ago, Aric Marquardt said:

...If I have a brand new driver that is $629.99 like most 2023 drivers are and I have a off the rack Taylormade M2 for $129.99, there is a massive difference there. But with the NEW most forgiving driver your dispersion is now a 30 foot circle instead of a 60 foot circle....

I'm not sure, not sure at all of that... Likely most player will find the M2 just as good for them, both in dispersion and distance, as the brand new 2023 driver.
Most players, as well, will have a "human dispersion" that far out-weights the gains from the equipment. To the point that unless you conduct an in depth statistical analysis you'll never see the difference (unless you want to see one, that is). As a rule of thumb, unless you're scratch or better, a 10 year old driver you know will work better than a brand new, pro fitted one you don't know well yet. That is, provided it's "in the right ball park", for loft, shaft and grip. You sure might lose 0.21 shots per round, averaged over the season or something... But if that's important for you, you'll eat canned pasta every day to get that new driver. Or work a bit more on your swing and gain even more shots!

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

4 hours ago, Aric Marquardt said:

think the comments that say golf being expensive is all relative are lazy. It is so easy to say, well its expensive to you and not expensive to me. Its lazy and offers zero substance. If you buy old clubs, you don't get fit, if you buy used balls, chances are you are never going to play your best. I fully understand that buying old clubs can work and for some people starting the game. It did for me.

I started golf as an E4 in the navy in the late 90s so not making a lot of money. It wasn’t expensive to get into golf on that pay along with spending money on several other sports.

I played with clubs that weren’t fit for me and broke 100 with off the shelf clubs..so it’s not lazy and there is substance to the statement. You are entitled to your opinion and even though you may not like what others say they are entitled to theirs as well

New clubs and equipment is not ALL about speed. What the marketing teams do at these large companies is market speed because it equates to distance. No one ever talks about dispersion or consistency. If I have a brand new driver that is $629.99 like most 2023 drivers are and I have a off the rack Taylormade M2 for $129.99, there is a massive difference there. But with the NEW most forgiving driver your dispersion is now a 30 foot circle instead of a 60 foot circle.

No guarantee new drivers perform better than a new one in speed or dispersion and for some a new model from a company may be worse than a previous release. This is golfer dependent 

Do you not want to play your best golf? Do you not want to shoot lower scores? Buying new equipment is expensive, its expensive in every aspect of the game. From getting fit, being fit into an upgraded shaft, the actual purchase of the club, getting lesson, greens fees, initiation fees, other club fees, handicap fees, everything in the game has a price. Whether you make one million a year or 50k a year. My hope would be as the game grows as rapid as it is, is that people want to play and be the best golfer they can.

This is like any other hobby, the more you get into it the more you are going to invest, also for some their ability to try and get better, nothing wrong with that. But there’s also a large part of the golfing population that is ok with just going out and enjoying the company of friends and having a good time out and being social and not intention of getting better

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Because the wealthy have made much more money than last year!!!!! As income continues to rise for the wealthy they want to see who's equipment is most expensive and flashy  for the cocktail stars ???  Go to a public course and see what the average golfer is playing with !!!! That would be a better topic , What the average Joe golfer is playing with on a public course?  

I believe the cost to play golf has risen due to several factors; The cost to buy land to build a course.  The cost to design and get permits and environmental approvals.  The cost for site work and construct the holes.  There are costs to outfit the buildings and maintenance for them.  Equipment purchases and maintenance.  The cost to maintain the course such as seed, plants, trees, fertilizer, herbicides. sand etc.  The cost for employee payrolls, taxes, insurance, etc.  The cost of incidentals such as scorecards, pencils, markers, range balls and mats, tee markers, flags etc. All of this plus much more has contributed to making golf cost more.

24 minutes ago, RATOUR7 said:

Because the wealthy have made much more money than last year!!!!! As income continues to rise for the wealthy they want to see who's equipment is most expensive and flashy  for the cocktail stars ???  Go to a public course and see what the average golfer is playing with !!!! That would be a better topic , What the average Joe golfer is playing with on a public course?  

I play multiple public courses that range from $50/60 up to $100+ and you see a mix of new and old, you see TM, Calllaway, Titleist, Cobra, and yes even PXG. Look in the parking lot and you see Honda civics old and new, Tesla’s, pickup trucks, work vans, and everything in between.

It’s the same at the driving range i go to

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

21 minutes ago, Albatrass said:

I believe the cost to play golf has risen due to several factors; The cost to buy land to build a course.  The cost to design and get permits and environmental approvals.  The cost for site work and construct the holes.  There are costs to outfit the buildings and maintenance for them.  Equipment purchases and maintenance.  The cost to maintain the course such as seed, plants, trees, fertilizer, herbicides. sand etc.  The cost for employee payrolls, taxes, insurance, etc.  The cost of incidentals such as scorecards, pencils, markers, range balls and mats, tee markers, flags etc. All of this plus much more has contributed to making golf cost more.

Yes all that applies to course fees, but consumer products have also increased for similar reasons. Staff is a huge expense for every company, cost to buy materials is up, cost to ship raw materials and finished products is up. All that gets passed onto the consumer.

Despite all that golf is only as expensive as one makes it

On 3/7/2023 at 8:42 AM, cnosil said:

Expensive is relative and related to how much disposable income a person has and how much they spend on a particular hobby.   

i can purchase equipment for what I consider to be an inexpensive price.  Used clubs from the early 2000s (or earlier) are still decent clubs and can be obtained for a couple hundred dollars. I can buy used balls in bulk.  I can play twilight rounds of golf at municipal courses relatively inexpensively.   I don’t have to drink alcohol while on the course; which is an expensive purchase.  

I can choose to get fit, buy the latest and greatest equipment, play a new ball every hole, play prime time at a private course and the game becomes much more expensive.  

most every hobby can be expensive; it is about the individuals perspective and how they choose to spend their money while doing that hobby.  

I think this pretty much sums it up.

On that note, my main golf buddy just got a brand new Mizuno ST-X 220 driver. He even got it fitted. (Had a choice of maybe 8 or 10 shafts) for 200 bucks. Granted that's last years Mizuno driver, but it's brand new! 

So, there are deals to be had. 

I have a nephew that spends boat-loads of money playing Ultimate-Frisbee. I don't get it. "Don't you just need a frisbee and a pair of sneaker?" He laughs at me. Any hobby you get in to can be done on the cheap, or you can drop tons of coin on it if you desire. 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

At the risk of inviting a bunch of backlash, when in reality I really don't care, this subject is usually driven, in my view, by the desire of the media to make golf sound like a rich white person's game. The "entitled" or the "elites". I see it every year pedalled by the Golf channel and the PGA tour has jumped right in there to help drive this mentality. The golf we watch every weekend shows a bunch of millionaires playing golf with Pros in Pro-AMs and with celebrities and then pro golfers at exclusive golf venues, that most humans can't afford to play, vying for millions of dollars and sponsored by huge corporations. This is not the world that 99.9% of golfers live in. You might be of average or modest means and had been exposed to golf by someone and became hooked, like me. I didn't have much money and had a young family to support when I started. However, when I could get used clubs and play modestly priced courses in my area I would go. I have lived all over the country in my career and there were always plenty to choose from. So, it always irritates me when this "giving back" campaign focuses exclusively on "people of color" as somehow being excluded from golf because of "economic disadvantages" and golf being "a rich man's sport". I would remind them that there are people from every walk of life that play golf and they do it regardless of their disadvantages or challenges. I have never been to any golf course, public or private that only allows certain people of one skin color or background. This is 2023 and I hate the perpetuation of this myth. Both of the exclusivity of golf as well as the impossibility of affording it. I live in Oklahoma and I know guys that have $50-70k bass boats that they park in the golf course parking lot after having fished that morning. They live in a small modest house and they have miraculously found a way to afford both? If you really want to do something, it amazing how "affordable" stuff can be. Bring on the left wing "keyboard moral mafia" to hate on this view of reality as not woke enough to find victims at every turn. 

Edited by Gopokes14

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

I'll come back later tonight to read all the comments but in the meantime I'll make one short comment/answer to the question.   A group of people, in an effort to ensure their financial future, decided to "grow the game".  Another group of people with unlimited funds,  and willing to pay any price, bought into it.  Oh,  and I forgot the third group....or a subset of the second group, that jumped on board in an effort to impress all their friends and others with how worldly they are and how how much they can spend on ridiculously tricked up expensive courses and resorts.  IN THE HUMBLE OPINION of another old fart.  All got their wish.

I'll come back later tonight to read all the comments but in the meantime I'll make one short comment/answer to the question.   A group of people, in an effort to ensure their financial future, decided to "grow the game".  Another group of people with unlimited funds,  and willing to pay any price, bought into it.  Oh,  and I forgot the third group....or a subset of the second group, that jumped on board in an effort to impress all their friends and others with how worldly they are and how how much they can spend on ridiculously tricked up expensive courses and resorts.  IN THE HUMBLE OPINION of another old fart.  All got their wish.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:45 AM, Luke James said:

I can definitely bet that many of us would have once thought - "Why is golf so expensive"? What do you think - Yes or No? What could be the reason behind this? 

Let's put this in perspective, look at the percentage of cost fetilizer, seed, elec for pumps, possibly water, cost of maintenance parts, equipment etc have gone up since this covid crap. Also add on all of the States that have passed these minimum wage laws etc. Who in the end pays, the consumer. Yes, golf has gone up in costs quite a bit but for legit reasons. Folks complain about these costs going up but still are dropping 600.00+ on a new driver. Logic is not to be found.

Saw an advertisement today for full golf privileges after 1pm walking for $650 annual membership, $79 monthly, at Clearbrook in Monroe Twp. This is a par 35 that is setup to play twice at different distances if you want to play it as 18 par 70. 

If I ever get tired of exploring new courses, I could make golf a lot less expensive.

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

For me, I find ways for my golf to be cheap and affordable. When it comes to equipment, I have never purchased new clubs or clubs less than 2 or 3 years old. I usually purchase used clubs on ebay,  although on occasion at Golf Galaxy.  Being a southpaw, in the past I used to find clubs pretty cheap, as not many people were bidding on them. Things have changed a bit since the pandemic, as it seems more lefties are now playing and buying.  As for golf balls, I find a lot, but also buy them only for around $15 or less (I only play yellow or green balls.) As for playing, I use GolfNow almost exclusively and the majority of the time I am paying $15 or less per round including cart. I spend my summers down in Tampa where my sons live.  People always ask me why I go down there in the summer when it is so hot.  The reason is that golf in Florida during the summer is really cheap because it is not their prime time season.  Using GolfNow, I played many course for $10 to $15. Including World Woods, Champions Gate, etc.  This past summer I found  a great 3-month family membership for only $880, (July through September and the best part was it included the cart. I split the cost with one of my sons, and because we joined in the middle of July they pro-rated it for only $714  ($357 each). They are offering the same deal this summer.  And I play every day, so I was averaging about $8 per round including cart. 

And here is something for you folks to think about. I am a GolfNow Golf Pass member. The cost is $200 per year, but the first year was the only time I paid the $200.  Reason is that I play so much golf, that I keep earning $10 rewards, which I hardly use because you have to use them 3 days in advance, and that is not worth using them, because the rates are more expensive that far out on GolfNow. But the nice thing is that you can use those $10 rewards towards your annual Golf Pass membership.  And by the time my membership is due, I usually have accumulated 60 or more rewards.  So I use 20 of them for my membership, with no out of pocket membership expenses. Plus you automatically receive $10 monthly rewards as part of the membership that you can use any day and any time towards Hot Deals.  Also, as a Golf Pass member, I don't have to pay on-line fees which are $3.49 per round. Do the match: say I play just 100 rounds per year on GolfNow, I am saving $349 per year for on-line fees.  For me, Golf Pass/GolfNow is a win win for me. 

Also, Here's another trick: If you are willing to take the chance and try to make a last minute tee time, Find a course you want to play the next day, And wait until about 20 past midnight when the rates usually drop down about $10 or more.  No guarantee those tee times you are interested in won't be sold out, but the majority of the time they are still available. 

So that is how golf is not expensive for me.

ff

Compared to other sports like tennis or basketball, golf is expensive.  The playing field for golf is larger than most other sports. To keep a golf course in decent shape, the operating costs are very high.  This cost is passed on to the golfers.  Also, many golf courses only want the "well-to-do" clientele so they raise their rates to discourage those of us that find it too expensive to play especially these higher end golf courses.   

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

15 minutes ago, in3948 said:

Compared to other sports like tennis or basketball, golf is expensive.  The playing field for golf is larger than most other sports. To keep a golf course in decent shape, the operating costs are very high.  This cost is passed on to the golfers.  Also, many golf courses only want the "well-to-do" clientele so they raise their rates to discourage those of us that find it too expensive to play especially these higher end golf courses.   

But to use your Tennis analogy, I have friends that use their sister's hand me down racket even though it's lavender color and meet to play at the local park where it costs zero. Someone brings a ball or 2 and away they go.

In contrast, a friend of mine's father in law is a member at an exclusive tennis club. He pays thousands per year to bring his $500 racket and a fresh sleeve of balls each time to play on a court that has been swept clean by $15/hour employees. 

This is true in any hobby. People with disposable income will find ways to dispose of it. Poor people with a love for the hobby will find a way. People in the middle of the spectrum will find a balance they find comfortable.

2 hours ago, in3948 said:

Also, many golf courses only want the "well-to-do" clientele so they raise their rates to discourage those of us that find it too expensive to play especially these higher end golf courses.   

Not sure where you play but that isn’t what I’ve experienced anywhere I’ve been. Yes there are courses that are higher priced than others but it’s not to keep any type of golfer out, it’s about what they offer and the experience.

I playe courses that are just a few minutes apart and one is $15 higher than the other and are premier courses. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 10:17 PM, richk9holes said:

Saw an advertisement today for full golf privileges after 1pm walking for $650 annual membership, $79 monthly, at Clearbrook in Monroe Twp. This is a par 35 that is setup to play twice at different distances if you want to play it as 18 par 70. 

If I ever get tired of exploring new courses, I could make golf a lot less expensive.

Update to this, I noticed last time I was here they offer junior u18 twilight full access after 1pm for $395 annually. Less than $8 a week. I thought this was funny considering conversations on here about cost barriers for kids in the sport.

Golf is expensive cus you cannot just play anywhere with anything (I understand technically you can, but lets just keep the concept of an actual golf course in mind. Even the cheapest backwoods courses have some grass and an attempt at a green). Courses cost lots and lots of money to upkeep. I have seen lots of responses talking about the relativity of expenses to each person. You can get used clubs for a couple hundred dollars. Bags of shag balls at walmart. Play off hours. Well lets talk another relativity. It costs $10 for a cheap soccer ball. All you need after that are some friends and an open area. Disc golf cost $5 for a used disc and then you can find numerous free courses at parks. Stop trying to kid yourselves, and/or take a step back and look at the picture from a different perspective.

Without being gifted anything, you literally cannot start playing golf for much less than $100. $50 for some rough used clubs, $10 for a bag of balls, $20 for a rough used bag (I guess you could carry all your clubs if you needed to), $20 for greens fees. If your passion for the game is that deep that you would continue to play for a long time in those conditions, i applaud you. Odds are if you really enjoy it isnt long before you are paying $50 a round to play a decent course, which if you play 35 times a year that is $1500. Upgraded to better clubs at a budget friendly $300-$400. Before you know it your spending $1000s a year. And that is without even considering the random frivolous purchases in golf like the astronomical price of golf attire.

Now back to my other relative examples. If you love soccer you upgrade to a better ball for $50 , pay $100-200 for nice cleats every couple years, and $100-$200 or so a year for league dues. Youre in at around $400 a year for the same level of commitment as my golf example. 

Disc golf you upgrade to about $50 worth of decent clubs and continue to play for free.  It costs next to nothing. 

Golf is expensive. No matter your income level or your amount of available spending money. 

Does a FIR care WHICH fairway its in?

:PXG: Gen 5 - MCA Diamana S+ 60g - S

:PXG: 0211 3W MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 75 - S,

:PXG: 0211 22 Hybrid MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 - S

:PXG: 6i - Pw - V2 Elevate Tour S

:cleveland-small: CBX2 54, 58

:PXG: Gunboat

Lynx kids 7-9 iron 9.99 each, available in LH even. FW for $11.99 if I remember correctly. That was just from a cursory search recently.  Not that far off from buying a pickleball paddle if you also pay for a bag. But hand me down golf bags are widely available in my experience.

"Free clubs" I've noticed 2 signs in the past week in pro shops when checking in.

• 3 weeks later...

Golf courses require extensive maintenance to provide a quality playing surface. This includes regular mowing, irrigation, fertilization, pest control, and overall course upkeep. These costs contribute to the overall expense of golf. Golf courses are often situated on valuable land, especially in desirable locations. The cost of acquiring and maintaining the land, as well as the associated property taxes, can drive up the expenses of operating a golf course. Golf clubs, golf balls, and other necessary equipment can be costly. High-quality golf clubs can range in price, and golf balls need to be replaced regularly. Additionally, golfers may invest in accessories such as golf bags, gloves, and other gear, adding to the overall expenses.  

Edited by chirshadin

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 3:15 PM, Reed all about it said:

Golf is expensive cus you cannot just play anywhere with anything (I understand technically you can, but lets just keep the concept of an actual golf course in mind. Even the cheapest backwoods courses have some grass and an attempt at a green). Courses cost lots and lots of money to upkeep. I have seen lots of responses talking about the relativity of expenses to each person. You can get used clubs for a couple hundred dollars. Bags of shag balls at walmart. Play off hours. Well lets talk another relativity. It costs $10 for a cheap soccer ball. All you need after that are some friends and an open area. Disc golf cost $5 for a used disc and then you can find numerous free courses at parks. Stop trying to kid yourselves, and/or take a step back and look at the picture from a different perspective.

Without being gifted anything, you literally cannot start playing golf for much less than $100. $50 for some rough used clubs, $10 for a bag of balls, $20 for a rough used bag (I guess you could carry all your clubs if you needed to), $20 for greens fees. If your passion for the game is that deep that you would continue to play for a longho time in those conditions, i applaud you. Odds are if you really enjoy it isnt long before you are paying $50 a round to play a decent course, which if you play 35 times a year that is $1500. Upgraded to better clubs at a budget friendly $300-$400. Before you know it your spending $1000s a year. And that is without even considering the random frivolous purchases in golf like the astronomical price of golf attire.

Now back to my other relative examples. If you love soccer you upgrade to a better ball for $50 , pay $100-200 for nice cleats every couple years, and $100-$200 or so a year for league dues. Youre in at around $400 a year for the same level of commitment as my golf example. 

Disc golf you upgrade to about $50 worth of decent clubs and continue to play for free.  It costs next to nothing. 

Golf is expensive. No matter your income level or your amount of available spending money. 

years ago I got in this discussion with a friend of mine who made the comment it must be nice to belong to a golf course, then my dues were around 950.00 per year. I asked him how much a winter he spent on skiing, trip passes, lodging etc. That killed that discussion. Moral of the story if it is your passion and out in life and you can afford it, do it!

• 3 months later...

Like everyone it depends on what you consider expensive. Golf is a lot of checking your ego, you can have the best equipment and best gear and shoot double par, but have used gear and a Walmart polo and shoot par. 
If you want to play the best courses around or you can just play your local muni. 
I also play hockey, lacrosse, and downhill men bike. You don’t know expensive till you start comparing. Example: You need atleast 3 sticks a season at 300-400$ a piece. Golf yes a new driver will cost you 300-600$ but alot of the time that will last you years.

Be a humble player and realize most of us don’t need the newest gear and equipment and in the long run golf really is not that expensive.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse.