Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Aldila RIP Phenom ... any thoughts?

Just bought a R9 SuperTri TP installed with the R11s RIP Phenom 65. I'm guessing it's a "Made for ..." shaft since Aldila's website only shows specs for 50 and 70 gram models. Either way, the 65 seems to be a good fit with the SuperTri. Just curious if any of you have had experience with any of the RIP Phenom versions and would be willing to share your thoughts?

Is it the regular version of the shaft or the TP version of the shaft? The TP version is identical to the aftermarket version in different graphics (Aldila will confirm this). The non-TP version is a different animal. I had an aftermarket, Tour Issued (before they were released) Phenom in a Superfast 2.0 Version 2 off of the TaylorMade van. That was a great combination for me, but the bias on the head gave way to control for me, as it was open, which I like, but was also hotmelted even more open, which was too much. The shaft, to me, felt smooth and it's tip kept up very well with the aggressive transition I have from the top. It's hard to really say whether or not you'll like it or not because it's different strokes for different folks. For me, it was a winner in several categories, the head's biasing was the only problem I had at all with that club.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Mine is the TP version. Overall, I like the Phenom's feel compared to the RIP Alpha 60 ... not sure if it has anything to do with the softer mid-section ("hyperbolic flex technology"), but it seems to work for me.

• SPY VIP

I'm toying with the 80gram version in an R11s right now. Might spin a little too much for me, but I'm also trying higher lofted driver to try and get my launch angle up. It's a delicate balance. Anyway...love the feel of the shaft. It definitely has a kick to it. Launch seems to middle of the road for me.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I found the Phenom, when I had it a few months back, to sort of play like a Kai'li with that now recognizable RIP feeling. You can certainly feel that mid section flex which makes it good for the smoother swingers but the butt and tip is stiff enough to handle those with a slightly quick transition as well.

That being said I didn't spend much more then a couple weeks with it before it went to a new home.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived