Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Re-building irons - Adjust Lie before or after re-shaft ?

I bought my current gamer irons second hand and have gotten along with them pretty well.  They were originally 2° up from Srixon standard and also + 1/2" (from prev owner).  When I got them I pulled the grips and cut them to std length and have been playing them ever since.  After going for a fitting recently, we determined that I'm not going to gain much from a new set of irons but based on the session, it does appear that getting back a couple of swing weight points would be beneficial to my dispersion and also since I'm not coming over the top as much as I was when I first got them, I need to go back to the std lie angle to help reduce some of my left misses.  

So the plan is to pull the heads and tip weights and then rebuild the same pieces with heavier weights to get me back to D2 instead of the C9.5-D0 they are currently at.  I have all the tools required to do that, but can't do the lie adjustment as I don't have the machine and wouldn't try it on my gamers even if I did. 

My question is:  Should I go have the lie angles adjusted and then pull the shafts and re-build or re-build them and then take them to have the lie angle changed?  In theory adjusting the lie angle would have a small effect on swing weight so I should do that first, but it's also possible that even with centering beads that I wouldn't get the shaft perfectly centered in the head so maybe it makes sense to adjust lie afterward?  Also possible that the differences are going to be so minimal that it doesn't make a difference either way..... 

On 3/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Also possible that the differences are going to be so minimal that it doesn't make a difference either way..... 

I concur with this. Tolerances being what they are, I don't know if it really matters.

I do know, in your situation, I would do the club work first and then adjust the lie angles as the last step once everything has been rebuilt.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I bought my current gamer irons second hand and have gotten along with them pretty well.  They were originally 2° up from Srixon standard and also + 1/2" (from prev owner).  When I got them I pulled the grips and cut them to std length and have been playing them ever since.  After going for a fitting recently, we determined that I'm not going to gain much from a new set of irons but based on the session, it does appear that getting back a couple of swing weight points would be beneficial to my dispersion and also since I'm not coming over the top as much as I was when I first got them, I need to go back to the std lie angle to help reduce some of my left misses.  

So the plan is to pull the heads and tip weights and then rebuild the same pieces with heavier weights to get me back to D2 instead of the C9.5-D0 they are currently at.  I have all the tools required to do that, but can't do the lie adjustment as I don't have the machine and wouldn't try it on my gamers even if I did. 

My question is:  Should I go have the lie angles adjusted and then pull the shafts and re-build or re-build them and then take them to have the lie angle changed?  In theory adjusting the lie angle would have a small effect on swing weight so I should do that first, but it's also possible that even with centering beads that I wouldn't get the shaft perfectly centered in the head so maybe it makes sense to adjust lie afterward?  Also possible that the differences are going to be so minimal that it doesn't make a difference either way..... 

This is something I’d love to hear the opinion of @McGolf

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

The removal of 1/2" of the club is generally good for 3 sw pts. 

Flattening the lie about 3 degrees can have an affect on swing weight and length of the club. albeit small but there is a change. 

Centering beads will not make a noticeable difference.

For this task I would Take the clubs apart, add the weight, reassemble the check length and have lie adjusted to be on the mark when done

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

The tip weights showed up today so hopefully I can get the clubs re-built in the next week or so and then I can get them off to a shop to have the lie adjusted.  After messing around it looks like D2 is about as heavy as I can get them because I have some Lamkin midsize Sonar grips on them and they add like 8 grams to the butt end meaning they take the swingweight down by almost 2 points all on their own vs the stock tour velvet grips which only weigh 50 grams.

Curious how others are able to get some of these heavier swingweights I've seen mentioned before.  If you play a mid-size grip or larger then you're already down 2 or 3 swingweight points from stock so even getting them back to normal can be challenging.  10g is the largest swingweight I could find and that would barelybe enough to offset some of the heavier grips out there.  Are people adding tip weights and then lead powder on top of that?