Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hitting mat- simulating rough?

Gusset

I really like my Fiberbuilt Flight Deck hitting mat...it's easy on the joints, feels closer to being real turf than most of the less expensive mat offerings, and lets me evaluate contact- I can tell if a shot would have been fat because I can feel that the impact was high on the face. It's holding up very well after two years of heavy use, some of that being chipping/pitching across my yard (up to about 55 yards), but mostly full iron shots into a net. I also like the portability since I move it around the yard a fair amount. The only real drawback of its design is that it's on the tall side, so I generally have to be standing on a platform if I want to get the ball at the same height as my feet.

So it's a great hitting surface. However, a lot of my short game shots on the course are out of the rough, so I'd like to find something that better simulates imperfect lies. I see that there are a few small mats on Amazon that have "rough" sections. Has anyone tried these? Do they get any closer to simulating shots from the thick stuff? Are they reasonably durable? I know that an artificial mat can't truly simulate real conditions, but something with a bit less optimal lie than the typical hitting mat would still make at-home practice more profitable.

Any recommendations?

First thanks for your review of the fiberbuilt. It’s really not big enough to stand on and hit iron shots off of? That woukd be a non starter for me.

I have a friend who is the assistant pro at a different club from mine. Their range is really lame, especially when you consider the buy in and dues.

At any rate most of the time you are hitting off mats on their range. The mats do have a strip of simulated rough on them. IMO it’s nothing like the real thing. Real rough is much thicker and offers far greater resistance. At least than this simulated rough. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18