Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Custom Fit Disaster - what happens when you're not on your game?

dinomack99

About two weeks before Christmas, I drove 1.5 hrs down to Pinehurst to be fit into a new PXG Gen 5 0311 driver. It was 48 degrees and overcast, and I had three layers of clothing. I couldn't hit a straight drive to save my life. Virtually every shot was high right (slice), which I've fought ever since I started playing in my late-20's. The fitter wanted to fix as much of that slice as possible, and so even though my swing speed is around 95-97mph, he fit me into an XS Tensei White shaft (cut 1") to reduce torque. He also chose a 7-5 degree head cranked up to 9 degrees, meaning that the face sat very closed (toe'd in). The driver was fit for a bad slicer, even though when it's warmer out and I'm more loose, my ball flight is pretty straight. Fast forward 2 months when I go for a free tech check and get fitted into a completely different set-up. Now I'm in a proper 9 degree shaft with a Stiff Diamana 6+ Black. The weights aren't nearly as aggressive in the three weight ports either. 10 gram in the heel, 5 in the toe and 2 at the back. Who has really struggled with their swing during a fitting only to get a club that didn't work for them? What did you do? Do other manufacturers allow you to go back for a re-fit?

DR: PXG 0311 Gen 5 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3W: PXG 0211 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3H: Tour Exotics EX221 with HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff
IRN: 2021 PXG 0211 with MMT Mitsubishi Stiff 
54/58: Cleveland CBX
P: Wilson Infinite Buckingham

Fittings are only as good as 1) the fitters knowledge and skills, this is the most important thing with a fitting, too many fitters with that title that don’t know what they are doing or know/understand the swing 2) communication between fitter and golfer 

A good fitter is going to be able to understand what’s not normal and what is along with using the above mentioned communication to assess what’s happening and adjust.

it also helps to get fit when conditions are close to what one plays in such as not having multiple layers on when that’s not normal, not getting fit at the very beginning of the year after taking time off during the off-season 

And yes even some of the best fitters are going to have a hard time dialing in when the golfer is all over the place similar to @Golfspy_CG2fitting a few years back at TXG where they took a break and made some swing adjustments.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, dmacko99 said:

About two weeks before Christmas, I drove 1.5 hrs down to Pinehurst to be fit into a new PXG Gen 5 0311 driver. It was 48 degrees and overcast, and I had three layers of clothing. I couldn't hit a straight drive to save my life. Virtually every shot was high right (slice), which I've fought ever since I started playing in my late-20's. The fitter wanted to fix as much of that slice as possible, and so even though my swing speed is around 95-97mph, he fit me into an XS Tensei White shaft (cut 1") to reduce torque. He also chose a 7-5 degree head cranked up to 9 degrees, meaning that the face sat very closed (toe'd in). The driver was fit for a bad slicer, even though when it's warmer out and I'm more loose, my ball flight is pretty straight. Fast forward 2 months when I go for a free tech check and get fitted into a completely different set-up. Now I'm in a proper 9 degree shaft with a Stiff Diamana 6+ Black. The weights aren't nearly as aggressive in the three weight ports either. 10 gram in the heel, 5 in the toe and 2 at the back. Who has really struggled with their swing during a fitting only to get a club that didn't work for them? What did you do? Do other manufacturers allow you to go back for a re-fit?

Sorry to hear you fitting didn't go out as planned. 

It is tough because unfortunately it sounds like you were setup for failure from the beginning as you are getting fit in conditions that arent applicable to your game. Or at least to your normal situation. A tough spot for you and the fitter to both be in. 

I have been on the other side as the guy doing the fitting for a customer and have said this is what works best for you in this situation, however when they communicate that this isn't of the normal then hard to really do much. A fitting can only fit the swing that is in front of them. 

I have also been fit in situations where I don't have my normal shot shape. In this case I simply haven't purchased or taken as much value in what the results were. 

I don't know about refits, it is difficult for true custom orders. Tweaking lofts, weights and such fair enough, but doing a whole new shaft and such will likely end up in an extra cost for time, build and more. 

The only other thing to add is personally I would look to be fitted at a place that offers several OEMs so that I am not necessarily stuck to one brand. However that is more of a personal thing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I had kind of locked myself into PXG for the fitting, given the Gen 5 was back on sales for $299. I couldn't justify paying $600 for a Callaway or TM. And yes, I did put the fitter in a tough spot, because he thought I was a habitual slicer until I started striping the new 3-wood straight down the middle (picked up the new 2022 0211). The weather is the big thing - no matter how badly you want to be custom fit for that shiny new club, pick a day where you can swing freely.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Fittings are only as good as 1) the fitters knowledge and skills, this is the most important thing with a fitting, too many fitters with that title that don’t know what they are doing or know/understand the swing 2) communication between fitter and golfer 

A good fitter is going to be able to understand what’s not normal and what is along with using the above mentioned communication to assess what’s happening and adjust.

it also helps to get fit when conditions are close to what one plays in such as not having multiple layers on when that’s not normal, not getting fit at the very beginning of the year after taking time off during the off-season 

And yes even some of the best fitters are going to have a hard time dialing in when the golfer is all over the place similar to @Golfspy_CG2fitting a few years back at TXG where they took a break and made some swing adjustments.

Yeah, I think I was giving Ian a headache the first 30 minutes of the fitting....LOL   

But seriously, he stopped and todl me one thign he saw in my swing was really going to prohibit me from getting any signicant gains no matter what club we tired.   We worked with that ONE swing thought and I immediately began making better contact and we could see he differences between clubs.    So yes, a really good club fitter that can insert a little swing advice or fix in the process wihtout it becoming a full bown lesson is worth his price in gold.   Will completely save you from getting the wrong setup or just buying clubs to be buying clubs. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

No option of an indoor fitting when you are working with a fitting van. It's basically the fitter a table and a canopy.