TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting #3: Titleist TSR Fitting

chisag

After a Paradym fitting that didn't go well at all, I had a very successful fitting last week for the Stealth 2. Recap: Averaging 225 carry, 2500 spin, 13* launch and best fit was a Speeder NX in A-Flex. 

... Started off todays fitting with a TSR2 and hit it OK. I hit more of my typical miss than when I was fit for the Stealth 2 so more draws hit on the toe. I wasn't swinging as well as I did with the Stealth so today was a better representation of being a little off on the course. Tried quite a few shafts and didn't love any of them so my fitter was ready to move on to the TSR3. Right away he moved the weight to the max toe position to combat my mid to low draw. Instantly felt better and I was able to dial in some really good swings, but still an occasional big draw. AD-UB was working well and then we tried the Tensei Blue AV Xlink and that was the best combo for both feel and performance. Interestingly telling my Titleist rep the A-Flex worked best in the Stealth 2 he was shocked. 

... My swing speed was a maddeningly consistent 93-94mph and when he asked me to try and swing faster, trying twice it dropped to 91 mph 🤪. He saids with such a smooth swing I probably adjusted to the A-Flex on the range but he felt confident it would be a bad fit on the course. He rarely fits anyone into an a-flex over 85mph and of course I was well above that. In the end I carried several drives 232-234 and had a ball speed over 140 compared to the Stealth that my best was carry 228 and 138 ball speed. I have a positive AOA around 6* so lower spin worked OK around 2000-2200 but when I hit the center and got it up to 2400-2500 I hit my longest drives. Of course the TSR3 looks awesome at address and the sound/ feel is excellent and that always helps.

... All the grips were a little thin compared to my Lamkin ST +2 Hybrid grip that has a large diameter under the bottom hand and I think that contributed to my toe hits and low draws but some of those swings were familiar like my bad swings on the course. Mostly a side effect of two back surgeries and I tend to turn my shoulders with my hips moving forward to lessen any torque when my hips are opening and my shoulders holding back. Some days are better than others so knowing my miss and having a club that lessens the ill effect is a nice option. On paper the TSR2 is the more forgiving driver of the two but since my miss is on the toe and having the ability to move the weight out to the toe side, the TSR3 was more forgiving than the TSR2 for my swing. I really enjoyed this 45 driver minute fitting and I will probably end up just ordering one. A slightly heavier weight (2gms) and 1/4" shorter shaft along with the rest of the fitting recommendations:

Dexterity: RH
SureFit Hosel Setting: C-4
SureFit CG Setting: Toe 2
SureFit Weight: +2 g
Length: -0.25"
Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei AV Xlink Blue 55 TSR
Shaft Flex: Regular
Tip Trim: Standard
Grip: Standard
Grip Size: Standard Size
Grip Assembly: Grip In Box

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I’m following with great interest. You’re a better player than me but we are similar in age and close in swing speed, my ball speeds are in the low to mid 130’s. My AoA is up 3. But I struggle with spin. It gets up above 3,000 on me frequently. I’ve found I keep it down when I focus on smooth with my driver swing.

BTW I wondered about that A flex too. It’s interesting. I went for a fitting about four years ago and the guy put me in an A flex. I was swinging great that day and got really good results with it and a Ping G410 max head. On the course though my misses were all over the place. You could see it on shot scope. Exact same number of misses left or right and I couldn’t go after a drive if I wanted more distance or to launch higher. It was maddening.

I love your approach. I don’t have the time to do separate fittings like you are. But I’m going for a fitting the end of the month where I’ve told the fitter I’m not after a brand, I’m after the next head/shaft combo you can dial up for me. I want to see if it is worth it to live out of my current driver/shaft combo and if so I want the fitter to follow all the way through the clubs arrival to be sure that I get what was fit for. Im removing that bit of doubt from my kind.

Curious as to why you haven’t tried Cobra or Ping as yet. Usually you’re a big Cobra fan. Did I miss it? 

Thanks for these threads, very helpful. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I’m following with great interest. You’re a better player than me but we are similar in age and close in swing speed, my ball speeds are in the low to mid 130’s. My AoA is up 3. But I struggle with spin. It gets up above 3,000 on me frequently. I’ve found I keep it down when I focus on smooth with my driver swing.

BTW I wondered about that A flex too. It’s interesting. I went for a fitting about four years ago and the guy put me in an A flex. I was swinging great that day and got really good results with it and a Ping G410 max head. On the course though my misses were all over the place. You could see it on shot scope. Exact same number of misses left or right and I couldn’t go after a drive if I wanted more distance or to launch higher. It was maddening.

I love your approach. I don’t have the time to do separate fittings like you are. But I’m going for a fitting the end of the month where I’ve told the fitter I’m not after a brand, I’m after the next head/shaft combo you can dial up for me. I want to see if it is worth it to live out of my current driver/shaft combo and if so I want the fitter to follow all the way through the clubs arrival to be sure that I get what was fit for. Im removing that bit of doubt from my kind.

Curious as to why you haven’t tried Cobra or Ping as yet. Usually you’re a big Cobra fan. Did I miss it? 

Thanks for these threads, very helpful. 

... Thanks Rev. I am lucky to live in Phoenix where most OEMs have free fittings to start the season. Titleist usually charges $100 you can deduct from the purchase price to stop those that just want a free fitting and not interested in the clubs. But they do have some free ones at the nicer courses and they fill up quickly. I was checking my email when this one came available and signed up immediately. And semi retired I do have the time. 

... Even though I have a smooth swing and transition the funny thing is I swing as hard/fast as I can on every swing. I am talking in balance and just a max comfortable speed. But when I look at a video of my swing, it almost looks like slow motion. One of the reasons I started Speed Training last year but it wrecked my tempo. I do hear comments from average golfers like "How do you swing so slow and hit the ball so far?" 235 carry is certainly not "so far" but my swing looks like I might carry it 200yds. These are usually players that swing very hard (but not fast) A later release and good timing with all my speed through the hitting zone is the reason but I do have quite a bit left in the tank if I really wanted to go down that road. So I get where a fitter might start with a A-Flex but looking at the numbers I am a little surprised the TM guy fit me into one. I think the Speeder NX just worked better for my timing than the Ventus TR and I have a feeling had he out me in the NX R-Flex my results would have been even better. Free fitting have a limited time so you get what you get. 

... I don't like the look, feel and sound of Ping drivers. Tried to over ride my bias and bought the original LS but hated it on the course and sold it after two rounds. Cobra drivers have produced too little spin for me and for some reason they usually don't do any fittings here in Phoenix. I have never even heard of a paid one but if they did, I would certainly sign up for one. In my last full bag fitting that I paid for, the Cobra did not perform ell for my swing due to lower spin. While we are all different I have found forum buzz is usually in the ball park for me. Cobra low spin monster drives, Ping crazy forgiving, TM highest in ball speed and forgiving and the new TSR highest ball speeds and their best drivers in a long time. All good places to start and find out how accurate the buzz is for our own swings. 

... Good luck with your fitting and I look forward to hearing your results! 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Florida is very similar to the Phoenix area in this regard - it's more a time thing for me - My club has had a Callaway fitting day with a TMag and Titlelist one coming up soon.  I know where I can get a Ping one if I wanted but I've never seen a free Cobra one either or at least its been a long time.  The low spin is what is intriguing me there.  I hope that I get to hit one in my upcoming fitting.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD