Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Snell Golf Balls

JFish350

I was listing to Inside the Ropes on the PGA channel on XM radio yesterday and they had the owner of Snell Golf on, I believe his name is Bob Snell but not positive. Anyway, Apparently he was with Titleist and started the Taylor Made golf ball division. So Im thinking he may have a clue what he's doing. 

Has anyone used their golf balls and if so how were they? How do they compare to the bigger name guys, Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made, Srixon. 

Thanks

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

4 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

I was listing to Inside the Ropes on the PGA channel on XM radio yesterday and they had the owner of Snell Golf on, I believe his name is Bob Snell but not positive. Anyway, Apparently he was with Titleist and started the Taylor Made golf ball division. So Im thinking he may have a clue what he's doing. 

Has anyone used their golf balls and if so how were they? How do they compare to the bigger name guys, Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made, Srixon. 

Thanks

His  name is Dean Snell and the Snell balls are typically rated as some of the best balls in the industry.   

There have been lots of articles on the main MGS site about snell balls: https://mygolfspy.com/?s=snell

You can find reviews and opinions on the forum as well:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/search/?q=snell&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=newest&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

The biggest questions about the ball in recent times are:

• They have had limited availability in recent years so supply is a question
  • the ball plant that was making their balls in the past was bought by TM so the supply and quality of the balls from the new manufacturer (if they can't use the TM plant) is unknown.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks , appechiate the info.

I did order a dozen so I'll give them a whirl and what happens. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

21 hours ago, JFish350 said:

Thanks , appechiate the info.

I did order a dozen so I'll give them a whirl and what happens. 

Just a FYI, you probably ordered the "Get Sum" ball which is his cheaper ball. It looks like they start re-orders for his MTB Tour Ball in April from the website. I have been using them for quite some time and really like them. 

Will Melvin

I've used both the MTB X and the MTB Blacks and liked both balls. However, because of inventory issues I have switched to Vice. Because my wife and I golf on average 5 times a week we generally order 5 doz pack. Once he get's his supply back up I wouldn't mind going back - especially for the MTB Blacks.  I'm all for supporting the 'small' guys in golf. 

Just curious, @JFish350in the recent past he's talked about new models. Did he disclose any info on the podcast? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, Will Melvin said:

Just a FYI, you probably ordered the "Get Sum" ball which is his cheaper ball. It looks like they start re-orders for his MTB Tour Ball in April from the website. I have been using them for quite some time and really like them. 

Correct, I did order the Get Sum. I play Srixon VX now but they cost is creeping up in the Titleist, Callaway range. I went to Srixon cuss they were less expensive and for my game and mind perform the same as a Pro V1 etc etc. If the Get Sum doesn't feel right I'll try the MTB.

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I've used both the MTB X and the MTB Blacks and liked both balls. However, because of inventory issues I have switched to Vice. Because my wife and I golf on average 5 times a week we generally order 5 doz pack. Once he get's his supply back up I wouldn't mind going back - especially for the MTB Blacks.  I'm all for supporting the 'small' guys in golf. 

Just curious, @JFish350in the recent past he's talked about new models. Did he disclose any info on the podcast? 

He was being interviewed by the guys on "Inside the Ropes" Carl Peterson on Sirius XM radio.  They pretty much stuck to the roll back the USGA & R&A are proposing. I was working so I may have missed if mentioned it but I don't think brought up any new info. 

I'm with you and supporting the DTC guys. I play Sub 70 clubs as well. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

38 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

Correct, I did order the Get Sum. I play Srixon VX now but they cost is creeping up in the Titleist, Callaway range. I went to Srixon cuss they were less expensive and for my game and mind perform the same as a Pro V1 etc etc. If the Get Sum doesn't feel right I'll try the MTB.

The 'blacks play similar to Pro V and the MTB-X like Pro V1X. Lots of info in the past on the HQ blog site comparing the balls 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have played the MTB-X a bunch.  It’s a great ball.  Low driver spin and good feel.    I played some of my best golf with that ball.  Highly recommend.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (ACCRA FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Mark me down as another Snell fan, I've played the MTB-X as my daily ball for a few years peppering in others as deals come up. With the supply chain issues and price increases over the last few, however, I've stocked up on Maxfli's Tour-X because I got much better prices late fall/early winter and they, too, are good balls. But Dean is an impressive guy who makes a really good product. He's also very responsive to questions. Several years ago, I had a question about whether I needed to use something other than a magic marker for identification because I noticed that the paint was coming off under the spot as the marker wore off. He got back to me right away letting me know that they were working on a small paint issue but that the paint coming off would not affect ball performance. Pretty cool!

BTW, I just noticed that there's a banner on his website talking about a new ball line-up coming in about 10 days. Can't wait!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

Dean Snell has a lot of history in the industry, as stated above, he knows what he's doing. I want to try the Black, but the MTB-X is probably my favorite X ball out of what I've tested.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Dean Snell was one of the primary men behind the original Titleist Pro V1, and later worked at TaylorMade. At TaylorMade he developed many of their initial tour quality balls including the 5 piece Penta (precursor to the TP5). In 2015 he started Snell Golf where he designs his own Snell golf balls (MTB, MTBx) but outsourced the manufacturing to Nassau in S. Korea (now owned by TaylorMade). Last year he felt that he would be allowed to continue the manufacturing relationship with Nassau given his history with TaylorMade. He has an enhanced MTB/MTBx line of golf balls that will be officially announced within the next several weeks (early April). I guess we'll find out if he will be allowed to continue the manufacturing relationship with TaylorMade Nassau or if he had to find a new manufacturer. That said, one of the key difference between Snell Golf and other DTC companies is that he does all the ball engineering himself and has Snell employees in the ball plants overseeing the manufacturing and quality control. I have played bot the MTB and the MTBx and find them to be excellent and comparable to previous generations of Pro V1 and Pro V1x. We'll all learn more in the next several weeks. Hope that helps... 

Driver: Callaway Paradym (10.5)  

3 Wood: Callaway Paradym (15*) 

5 Wood: Callaway Paradym (18*)

Hybrid: Callaway EPIC SuperHybrid 4

Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 (5-AW)

Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy (54*/58*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

11 hours ago, Deepred said:

I believe the new balls are being made by Foremost in Taiwan. They also make the Maxfli and Wilson balls which always score very high in quality tests. 

What is this based on?

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I wrote “I believe “ because of cannot find where I read that now. Search engines are really becoming quite useless. Since Snell was big footed by TM there really isn’t another company that meets Snell’s quality standard. 

• 2 weeks later...

New ball!! I used Snell balls for a couple years then stopped. The MTBX spun too much and the MTB was too soft. Curious about these new Prime balls. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Looking forward to trying the new balls - always been a fan of Snell (especially in a sea of DTC ball brands). 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention. I will be giving these a go.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Glad they are back sick good value for their product.  We will have to see how their quality goes. Got my order placed for the MTB Prime. Actually reached out to customer service about switching my "pre-order" to a test pack and they said it had already shipped. May arrive a sooner then expected. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Just got a shipping notification so balls are coming in early. USPS is saying 4/8 so hopefully I'll be hitting them next week.

Balls arrived Saturday. A week ahead of their arrival. Hopefully I can get out before a small golf trip on Thursday. If not I have 90 holes of testing. 

• 1 month later...

I got the trial pack a couple of days ago. I played both for 9 holes and will do so again today and tomorrow. They look great, look like a premium ball. I find a lot of the DTC balls are not very appealing visually. I love the 2023 Pro V1 and it is long but has a different feel from the 2021 model; it doesn't feel as soft with a strike. Both the MTB and the X ball feel great off the club face, the X seems to be a little longer off the driver, MTB feels a little better off the putter and around the green. Both boxes seems to accurately describe the characteristics of each ball. 

These are my initial thoughts after playing 9 holes and I could have a drastically different opinion about the balls after I play today and tomorrow. But, I was very impressed with both models after 9 holes and I will update again this weekend after I complete another 18 holes with them. 

Driver: TSR3 9* @ 8.25 B1 setting / Fujikura VC Red 6x / 45.25 inches

3 Wood: TM Sim 2 Ti 13* / Diamana WB 50ct 8x / 43.5 inches

Hybrid: Callaway Apex UW 19* / Hzrdus Black RDX 80g 6.5 flex / 40.5 inches

Irons: Titleist T100 - 4 iron Modus Tour 3 120x 1.5* flat / AP2 - 5-P irons Modus Tour 3 120x 1.5* flat

Wedges: SM9 46 F10 bent to 48 F12, SM9 54 D12, SM9 58 M08 / 48* Modus Tour 3 120x2* flat / 54* and 58* S400 shaft 2* flat

Ball: Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I have also just received the trial pack.  I love the feel of the x.  I'd say it's the longest ball I've played off the tee.  The cover is soft and I've dinged up 2 balls in one round already. 

Titleist 718, scotty, PXG

I've played about 45 holes with them and the X is noticeably longer than the MTB. I love the way both balls feel. They are very comparable to the Pro V1, although I have not played the new Pro V1 X yet. The 2023 Pro V1 is longer than both balls off the tee, but I very similar otherwise I think. It's a great ball and plays far more valuable than it's price. 

I haven't had any issues with durability yet with either ball. 

Driver: TSR3 9* @ 8.25 B1 setting / Fujikura VC Red 6x / 45.25 inches

3 Wood: TM Sim 2 Ti 13* / Diamana WB 50ct 8x / 43.5 inches

Hybrid: Callaway Apex UW 19* / Hzrdus Black RDX 80g 6.5 flex / 40.5 inches

Irons: Titleist T100 - 4 iron Modus Tour 3 120x 1.5* flat / AP2 - 5-P irons Modus Tour 3 120x 1.5* flat

Wedges: SM9 46 F10 bent to 48 F12, SM9 54 D12, SM9 58 M08 / 48* Modus Tour 3 120x2* flat / 54* and 58* S400 shaft 2* flat

Ball: Titleist ProV1

I played the MTB Black's until supply chain issues made them hard to find. Tried out the test pack this spring and really liked the MTB Prime. Didn't care for the feel of the MTB Prime X as much. Ordered a value pack 5-dozen of the MTB Prime and received them in less than a week. Supply chain issues solved at least for now.

Played one ball the whole round on Saturday and it held up really well. So far so good, will see how the rest of the pack goes.

Dr: :taylormade-small: Stealth 10.5°

Woods: :taylormade-small: M4 - 3W 15°, 5W 18°

4i-PW: MacGregor MT86 OS

50.08F/54.10S/60.08M: :vokey-small:

Pu: :ping-small: Ketsch Counter Balance

Ball: :Snell: MTB Prime

Pushcart: :Clicgear: 4.0

Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V6 Shift

Other: :Arccos:

• 1 month later...

These new model of balls are not good.  Performance wise they're similar to the old model (for me), but the durability of the new MTB-Prime balls should be unacceptable.  My record is completing 2 holes before the ball is seriously scuffed up.  The old version (MTB-Black) was much better.

1 hour ago, Roach said:

These new model of balls are not good.  Performance wise they're similar to the old model (for me), but the durability of the new MTB-Prime balls should be unacceptable.  My record is completing 2 holes before the ball is seriously scuffed up.  The old version (MTB-Black) was much better.

Would be great to post a photo of the ball after 2 holes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

FWIW, I partially agree with original poster. MTB-Prime performs well in terms of spin, distance & feel. Whereas I agree the new covers are slightly more prone to scuffing, I still think it is durable enough to play.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk