Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Is it the best ever?

fixyurdivot

I'm amazed how many G400 drivers I've seen since we moved here this past September.  I've played with quite a few folks between men's league, informal groups, and last minute grab a spot rounds, and it's rare one of these isn't in someone's bag.  I mentioned in another thread recently that I was at Cobra Demo tent testing irons and, having finished that I asked if they had time to show me some drivers.  He asked what I was playing and I told him the G410P and if he had anything that could beat it.  He said, without hesitation, yes.  He also told me had I said I was playing the G400, he couldn't and that in his opinion the G400 was the best driver PING has produced - and arguably one of the best drivers made period.  Wow, that's pretty solid stuff coming from a Cobra guy.

Yes, many of the folks I see playing the G400's are 60+ with mid to high handicap games.  Perhaps it's demographic sweet spot?  Anyway, the more I keep seeing them at tee boxes the more I wonder just how good these are.  This MGS review predated my time on the forum and institute of advanced golfology learning so I wasn't privy to the G400 release when I picked up a used Callaway Razr to replace a GBB I'd played for over a decade... if I had only known 😊.

So who of you have or still are playing this very popular driver?  How does it compare to PING's subsequent offerings and any other drivers you have tried?  Do you agree with the Cobra fitter that it's the best PING ever produced?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

The g400 and 2016 m2 drivers have been the best in the market over the last 10 years. 

I think the newest titleist line has a chance to be similar.

The g410 models were good but made no improvement on the g400 in driver however the fairway woods were just as good if not better. I only swing a g425 a few time so no real data or experience to compare to g410 or g400. 

Every few years someone makes a driver that is just better than everything else. 2016 m2 driver and woods imo are still that club with g400 driver right behind it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I loved my G400 SFT driver!  The operative word being loved.   I had it in play for about three years after my G30 driver developed a crack on the hostel.  Ping replace the G30 with a G400 for a nominal fee.   Once in the bag, my fairways in regulation increased to over 70 percent.   For me, I knew I could sit the club behind the ball and it would typically go exactly where I was aiming.  My playing partners would call me "F***in' Norm" because I was always in our narrow fairways. 

Then the unthinkable happened:  a crack started on the G400 hostel in the exact same spot where my G30 cracked (right near the triangle used to set the loft).  I was devastated!  I called Ping and they were gracious enough to send me a G425 SFT as a replacement.  It had the same Distanza shaft I had used.  Unfortunately, the G425 SFT model had a bit too much draw bias for me when I set it behind the ball.  My fairways in regulation was cut more than half with 90% being left.   I was fortunate that Ping has been working with me with this issue and a fitted G430 Max is on the way.

As much as I'm looking forward to getting the G430, I'm actively searching on eBay for a G400 SFT head I can put in a safe place as a comfortable and reliable back up.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

G400 Max in my bag and no reason to take it out.  I hit it well and while the new drivers are all nice, they really don’t do much more performance wise than what I have.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I played a G400Max, then a 410 Plus, and now a TSi2.  I averaged 218 yards with the G400Max, then a 410 that averaged 223 and today I average 241 with the TSi2.  I know that sounds nuts, but those are the numbers from actual play.  410 and TSi2 were fitted however.  The G400Max is a fairway finder that I do not think can be matched.  The 400 spinned more than the 410 and the 410 more than the TSi2.  Ball flight from highest to lowest - 400, 410, TSi2. Dispersion was best with the 400 and basically the same for 410 and TSi2.  I am about to turn 60.  I think you are correct on the sweet spot as there are some days I can’t swing completely freely and wish I had the 400Max. It may be a little shorter, but it finds the short grass. As I slow down I’ll also need more spin.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

I played the standard G400 and loved it. It took a long time for someone to step up and put it in back up mode. But the Titleist Tsi1 did it. It is another fairway finder and a bit longer. It seems the harder I swing the further and straighter it goes. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

I play the g410 LST and it’s staying in the bag for a long time. I tried the 425 and 430, but no real difference in performance for me. The only thing I’ve tested as of recent that was really solid was the TSr3. The dispersion was a touch better but I still don’t know if I want the price tag. I think ping is looked over by a lot of people