Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

PGA Tour 2023 - WGC Match Play

Splatt

G’day Golfers,

I feel like we’ve been spoiled for golf so far this season. We’ve had these elevated events that have felt like mini-majors and we’ve had other events that have given us serious bang for our buck. Spieth and Fleetwood being in the chase last week only to be beaten by Taylor Moore who wasn’t really in the conversation pre-final round, prove my point.

Golfers, this week the PGA tour is split; we have the Corales Puntacana Championship and the WGC Match Play. I’m going to be concentrating on the WGC Match Play as that is where the most interesting players are.

So far this year, we’ve had event after event of stroke play and I’m sick of it. Luckily this week we have a match-play event 😄

For anyone who doesn’t know what match-play is it’s when a player wins a hole against his opponent if he records a lower score on that hole.
A match is decided when a player is up more holes than holes are remaining in the 18-hole match.
However, most of us here would be VERY familiar with match-play.

This match-play event has an earlier start than most PGA Tour events because the first three days are dedicated to round-robin match play, with the 64-player field split into 16 groups of four and only the winner of each group then progressing to the knockout stages.
If there's a tie at the top of the group, then a sudden-death play-off between those involved will determine who progresses through to the weekend.
It's a really interesting format that I wished the PGA Tour did more.

WGCMatchPlay.jpeg.22145bbbbed93cc6d28622a179e64df3.jpeg

The WGC Match-Play is played at the Austin Country Club, a par 71, 7,108 yards course.
The Pete Dye design has seen an eclectic mix of champions in its tenure as host from long-bombers to short-game wizards (such is the beauty of match-play).
This is the seventh year Austin Country Club has hosted the WGC-Match Play and there may be a slightly different look for 2023 as a February ice storm damaged more than 1,200 trees on the property (Credit: PGA Tour)

Field Highlights

·         The Big Three – Rahm, Scheffler, and McIlroy are all teeing it up for this event.That’s your world ranking number 1 (Scheffler), 2 (Rahm), and 3 (McIlroy) all playing in the same event, AGAIN. That’s how good the designated events have been, these three have already been in the same field multiple times. For this weekend, depending on how the brackets go, let hope for some proper head to heads.

·         Patrick Cantley – The tool man himself. Cantlay has patched together a couple of decent results so far this season with a T-4 at Arnold Palmer, a solo 3rd at The Genesis, and a T-2 at The Shriners Children Open in the fall. Cantlay is as steady as a level and I’m sure he’ll hammer the competition and end up on top soon this season.

·         Max Homa – With 2 wins already under his belt this season, it really feels like Max is only just getting started this season. He’s played 9 events this season, made all 9 cuts, won 2, and finished runner-up in 1. He’s had a dream start to the season and long may it continue.

·         Collin Morikawa – Morikawa has been close all season to a win. Superior ball striking has kept him in the conversation, but his putting and driving and been letting him down. If everything is firing this event then there’s no reason he can’t take it home.

Golfers, that’s it from me. This week the Pick ‘Em is for the Corales Puntacana Championship, so it’s a good chance to use some picks on players that aren’t normally in the roster.

As far as the WGC Match Play goes, I have it on good authority (my own gut) that Max Homa is going to win. If he does, I think it would be good karma for him to become an MGS Forum member.

For those in the Pick ‘Em competition, good luck, and may your pick make the cut,

Regards,

Splatt

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Rickie Fowler is playing some great golf today! 2 up on Rahm which I did not see coming. Love the match play events!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Man, this tournament is interesting already. 

• Fowler beat Rahm
  • Rory dominating
  • Ryan Fox having a win
  • Min Woo winning (I know, I'm a fan boy)
  • Spieth winning
  • Cameron Young's all 3 front nine

Also, how good have the drone shots been?

Today I'm very excited to watch Fowler V Horschel. That's a match for the ages

Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree

Can't believe I missed this post!

Yeah I watched a few of the round highlights this morning. Could be a lot of fun and hope that it will make for some close matches till the very end!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

RICKIE! RICKIE! RICKIE!

I heard there's a chance he can get into Augusta depending on his performance this week.  If he makes it to the quarter finals he should be in the top 50 and get an invite to the Masters.

After beating Rahm yesterday I'm pulling for him! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The more top class players playing at the top of their game headed into Augusta, the better. Should make for some great viewing.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

RICKIE! RICKIE! RICKIE!

I heard there's a chance he can get into Augusta depending on his performance this week.  If he makes it to the quarter finals he should be in the top 50 and get an invite to the Masters.

After beating Rahm yesterday I'm pulling for him! 

Same! It’s great to see him performing at a strong level again 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

2 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Same! It’s great to see him performing at a strong level again 

I take full credit.  I didn't draft him in fantasy golf this year. 🤪

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I take full credit.  I didn't draft him in fantasy golf this year. 🤪

I traded for him!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Buddies and I just played Austin CC on the simulator and holy crap that place is tough 

Driver: Taylor Made BRNR Mini-driver, 11.5 loft reg flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex graphite

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: PXG 0311 forged

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

It’s a really good PGA weekend, the WGC Mp is exciting because it proves anyone of the top 60+ golfers can win at anytime. And the Corales Puntacana with its lesser known tour pros both seasoned and rookie is helping me to find new players to root for now that I’m not following the players who left the PGA to play on the LIV tour. 

Edited by KenBender

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:05 AM, Splatt said:

G’day Golfers,

I feel like we’ve been spoiled for golf so far this season. We’ve had these elevated events that have felt like mini-majors and we’ve had other events that have given us serious bang for our buck. Spieth and Fleetwood being in the chase last week only to be beaten by Taylor Moore who wasn’t really in the conversation pre-final round, prove my point.

Golfers, this week the PGA tour is split; we have the Corales Puntacana Championship and the WGC Match Play. I’m going to be concentrating on the WGC Match Play as that is where the most interesting players are.

So far this year, we’ve had event after event of stroke play and I’m sick of it. Luckily this week we have a match-play event 😄

For anyone who doesn’t know what match-play is it’s when a player wins a hole against his opponent if he records a lower score on that hole.
A match is decided when a player is up more holes than holes are remaining in the 18-hole match.
However, most of us here would be VERY familiar with match-play.

This match-play event has an earlier start than most PGA Tour events because the first three days are dedicated to round-robin match play, with the 64-player field split into 16 groups of four and only the winner of each group then progressing to the knockout stages.
If there's a tie at the top of the group, then a sudden-death play-off between those involved will determine who progresses through to the weekend.
It's a really interesting format that I wished the PGA Tour did more.

WGCMatchPlay.jpeg.22145bbbbed93cc6d28622a179e64df3.jpeg

The WGC Match-Play is played at the Austin Country Club, a par 71, 7,108 yards course.
The Pete Dye design has seen an eclectic mix of champions in its tenure as host from long-bombers to short-game wizards (such is the beauty of match-play).
This is the seventh year Austin Country Club has hosted the WGC-Match Play and there may be a slightly different look for 2023 as a February ice storm damaged more than 1,200 trees on the property (Credit: PGA Tour)

Field Highlights

·         The Big Three – Rahm, Scheffler, and McIlroy are all teeing it up for this event.That’s your world ranking number 1 (Scheffler), 2 (Rahm), and 3 (McIlroy) all playing in the same event, AGAIN. That’s how good the designated events have been, these three have already been in the same field multiple times. For this weekend, depending on how the brackets go, let hope for some proper head to heads.

·         Patrick Cantley – The tool man himself. Cantlay has patched together a couple of decent results so far this season with a T-4 at Arnold Palmer, a solo 3rd at The Genesis, and a T-2 at The Shriners Children Open in the fall. Cantlay is as steady as a level and I’m sure he’ll hammer the competition and end up on top soon this season.

·         Max Homa – With 2 wins already under his belt this season, it really feels like Max is only just getting started this season. He’s played 9 events this season, made all 9 cuts, won 2, and finished runner-up in 1. He’s had a dream start to the season and long may it continue.

·         Collin Morikawa – Morikawa has been close all season to a win. Superior ball striking has kept him in the conversation, but his putting and driving and been letting him down. If everything is firing this event then there’s no reason he can’t take it home.

Golfers, that’s it from me. This week the Pick ‘Em is for the Corales Puntacana Championship, so it’s a good chance to use some picks on players that aren’t normally in the roster.

As far as the WGC Match Play goes, I have it on good authority (my own gut) that Max Homa is going to win. If he does, I think it would be good karma for him to become an MGS Forum member.

For those in the Pick ‘Em competition, good luck, and may your pick make the cut,

Regards,

Splatt

Long week of golf.  Match up lay is always interesting.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Rory is having a better time with his driver this week 😀

2 hours ago, Splatt said:

Just saw that Highlight on ESPN!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

20 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Just saw that Highlight on ESPN!

Gotta be one of the best drives of all time, right?

4 hours ago, Splatt said:

Roll back the ball!!!!!  Oh wait, wrong thread 😂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, Splatt said:

Apparently went a half inch shorter in length. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

5 hours ago, Splatt said:

I had always thought I created pretty good speed for someone my size then Rory comes out and tourimage.png.a6b2290330d9bda13e5b4076c0765dea.png

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: wilt Graphite Design Tour AD TP 

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG:

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

6 hours ago, Splatt said:

lol Rory out there backing up his support that the ball goes to far.  

He was probably like.... you know what, I can probably carry to the green, lets go for it.

Love watching match play and pretty sad they're getting rid of this format. Hopefully they can figure out a tournament to reintroduce it so you don't have to just wait for the president and Ryder cups, which I'm super pumped for this year. Also love seeing Rickie and J Day making noise again. Cheers!

Honma XP-1s, Rad Speed, and my trusty Scotty Cameron Triple Black

55 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

lol Rory out there backing up his support that the ball goes to far.  

He was probably like.... you know what, I can probably carry to the green, lets go for it.

Be honest have you ever in your life gone driver straight to putter?

I was talking to a mate about this drive tpday and it's insane to think that you get to you second shot on a par 4 and you have a putter in your hand.

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

I was talking to a mate about this drive tpday and it's insane to think that you get to you second shot on a par 4 and you have a putter in your hand.

I have only gone driver putter a couple of times, I have a couple of short par 4s on my local courses, one is 280 and one is 295 or so... every now and then I get luck and find the green... and proceed to 3 putt

Nathan Wagner, Callaway Mavrik dr-aw, callaway jaws 58, and spider tour putter. 

Just now, Nate Wagner said:

I have only gone driver putter a couple of times, I have a couple of short par 4s on my local courses, one is 280 and one is 295 or so... every now and then I get luck and find the green... and proceed to 3 putt

If I ever drove a green on a par 4 I would be terrified of that putt haha

2 minutes ago, Splatt said:

For the first time in my life actually this past Tuesday. A very short par 4 with a large green, landed about 35 feet from the hole though not within 3 feet like that!

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

Just now, Splatt said:

Believe it or not.... Yes I have!

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

There's a few par 4's that I play which are relatively short.  But I've only ever hit the green once lol

...I missed the eagle putt.  Easy two putt birdie though.

6 minutes ago, Splatt said:

probably a dozen times.  During the winter/wet weather we sometimes play up a set of tees which brings some holes into play with driver.   Longest one that I have hit was like 353; kind of pushed the shot and it went through a gap that funneled the ball to the hole…..I didn’t carry the green like Rory😂.    Yes, I three putted that hole.  No eagles, and probably a 60/40 birdie par ratio.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Believe it or not.... Yes I have!

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

There's a few par 4's that I play which are relatively short.  But I've only ever hit the green once lol

...I missed the eagle putt.  Easy two putt birdie though.

Doesn't just come in with the story but has photographic evidence to prove it haha

Awesome shot

Edited by Splatt