TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade 2017 P790 Irons VS Taylormade 2023 HD Irons

ole gray

I'm a 72-year-old 12-handicap golfer who is like the old coot who buys a sports car after retirement to feel young again.  He has this nice big arse easy driving 2023 Cadillac in his garage however he still wonders if he can handle the sleek-looking fast handling 2017 chick magnet. This should be an interesting comparison of my new HD irons which are easy to launch vs the smaller thinner arse players' distance irons. 

Let's take a look at these dueling banjos. First of all, you have in my opinion a really nice-looking SGI set of HD Stealth irons. I've played several rounds with these puppies and they are truly a pleasure to game. Highly recommend them to anyone who needs help with their iron game whether it be you suck or you're just getting old with diminishing swing speed and enjoy an easy relaxing low cussing round of golf. 

Next, we have the P790s who came a day late and I unboxed them today (March 22, 2023). I have to say the seller on Marketplace said they were in good shape and boy was he not fibbing. I took three pics of the nine iron to show you their beauty.  I took the nine out to my practice net in the backyard and hit several balls and my heart started palpitating.  Dayuuuummm these suckers feel pretty hawt and sweet at the same time. Do I dare put these in my bag for tomorrow's scramble team match or do I play in the comfort of the HDs?  Seriously tempted!  Lots to come so stay tuned!

MyBag.jpeg

9IBACK.jpeg

9IFACE.jpeg

9IBOTTOM.jpeg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Love this! Should be a really interesting test!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Love this! Should be a really interesting test!

I'm in the handicap range (12) where I could game either set so yea this one will be fun

Cleveland

I like thicker soled irons and I have to say, those Stealth HD look great in the bag.  I definitely need to see them in person.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

4 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I like thicker soled irons and I have to say, those Stealth HD look great in the bag.  I definitely need to see them in person.

They are truly awesome irons IMO with both performance and looks.

Cleveland

Ok guys the P790s went in the bag this morning for some range time.  I hit a medium bucket of balls and these irons are legit! I was surprised at the height I was getting out of the 9 & PW and the ball felt really flushed off the club face. I could not tell how far they were flying but the trajectory was in my happy zone. I did not put them in play in the scramble as the grips are too small and I want to have the lofts checked. I can't wait to get them on the course for a spin!

P790InTheBag.jpeg

Cleveland

I'm taking the P790s to a club builder today to have the lofts checked and lie adjusted then I'll add mid-size grips.  I'll hit the range for some practice time this weekend and then Monday I will put them in play on the course with money on the line. 

Edit -  Back home and the lofts & lies were definitely not up to specs however they are perfect now.  Taking a break and then I'll go out to my woodshed and blow on some new GP tour wrap mid-size grips.

Edit #2 -- After I finished installing the mid-size grips I hit several shots into my backyard net.  With the lofts fixed and the lie adjusted to my specs was thumping that ball really well! Now I'm pumped to get these out on the course for some quality time.

Note:  If you buy used clubs and even new clubs it might behoove you to have the specs verified.  The P790's were all over the place.

Cleveland

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

I vote for the HD's!! Have you looked at the Ping G430 HL that is supposed to be for senior golfers?

https://www.carlsgolfland.com/ping-g430-hl-irons

No, I haven't but now that I own a set of HD's, I'm a happy camper 😍

Cleveland

Today I went to Dicks and took an 8 iron from the P790 & Stealth HD for comparison.  I was going to use a 7 iron from both sets however I had left the HD 7 iron back at the house after hitting it into my backyard net last evening. I was checking out drivers all morning and added these two at the end and I was pretty much wiped out.  Energy depleted after about 60 full-bore driver swings. 😩

These eight irons are totally different in makeup and the results were quite surprising to me.  P790 (Red) --- Stealth HD (Blue)

HDvsP790.jpeg

Cleveland

Wow - not at all what I was expecting - they’re nearly identical. Very curious to see if this trend continues throughout the bag!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Wow - not at all what I was expecting - they’re nearly identical. Very curious to see if this trend continues throughout the bag!

I know right!  Monday morning the P790s are on deck so I'll know a little more post-18 however, for now, this is pretty darn interesting. 

Cleveland

I recently had a quick TM fitting and first hit the original Stealth 7i and eventually settled on the MMT 75G shaft.  Ball speed 105, Carry was 141 and spin 5400 and total distance 155.  Then hit the P790 with the same shaft.  Ball speed 99, carry 130, spin 5600 and total 145.  Just didn’t feel right and perhaps needed a different shaft but couldn’t argue with the stealth numbers and feel so we stopped.  This was on a day hitting into a head wind. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

6 hours ago, GaryF said:

I recently had a quick TM fitting and first hit the original Stealth 7i and eventually settled on the MMT 75G shaft.  Ball speed 105, Carry was 141 and spin 5400 and total distance 155.  Then hit the P790 with the same shaft.  Ball speed 99, carry 130, spin 5600 and total 145.  Just didn’t feel right and perhaps needed a different shaft but couldn’t argue with the stealth numbers and feel so we stopped.  This was on a day hitting into a head wind. 

The Stealth irons are beast-mode irons for sure. There is a difference in the 7 iron lofts between Stealth (28 degrees) / club length 37.25 and the P790s (30.5) / club length 37 which will explain some of that distance gain.

With the HD 7 iron vs the P790s 7 iron there was very little difference in the loft. HD - 30 degrees with P790 at 30.5

Cleveland

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

The Stealth irons are beast-mode irons for sure. There is a difference in the 7 iron lofts between Stealth (28 degrees) / club length 37.25 and the P790s (30.5) / club length 37 which will explain some of that distance gain.

With the HD 7 iron vs the P790s 7 iron there was very little difference in the loft. HD - 30 degrees with P790 at 30.5

Yes I’m sure that was part of the difference but with the 790s I just wasn’t getting any center hits.  With my current set 7i, I carry 137ish and it’s 33*.  I was surprised I still had good spin.  I think it just felt uncomfortable because the swing weight probably had a different swing weight feeling and would have required trial and error with different shafts and we were running out of our 30 min allotment. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

TaylorMade bought Adams in 2012. Looks like they dusted off the old Adams clubs. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

This seems to be a great test.  Do not want to give up the blade look, but distance is becoming an issue. 
Have been gaming the P790s for about 3 years. They are very solid from the middle of the club.
Off-center hits do not fare as well. 

Very satisfied about the feel and consistency of the P790s.

That said, it sounds like you like the added distance of the stealth irons.
You will be a winner with either choice.  Taylormade irons are solid.

default_taylormade-small.jpg.30d3eb3f9b481199aee6d83da348774b.jpg    M4 Driver 8.5 D Fujikura Red 6S
                       M4 3 Wood 15 D Fujikura Red 6S
                       Stealth 3 Hybrid 19 D Fujikura Red 7S
                       P790 Irons 4 - A  Dynamic Gold 95 R
                       Sand Wedge 56 D Dynamic Gold WedgeFlex
                       Lob Wedge   60 D  Dynamic Gold WedgeFlex

:odyssey-small:  Putter White Hot #7 OG Stroke Lab

I had played P790 irons for 4 years and got fitted for Calloway Apex irons with 90gm steel fiber shafts in September.  After 5 months of average iron play with two-way misses I put my P790s back in the bag and the first round back with them I hit 16 of 18 greens…best iron play in 5 months. Anyone want a set of 5-month used Apex irons?

❤️2🏌🏽‍♂️

41 minutes ago, 2AcesGolfer said:

I had played P790 irons for 4 years and got fitted for Calloway Apex irons with 90gm steel fiber shafts in September.  After 5 months of average iron play with two-way misses I put my P790s back in the bag and the first round back with them I hit 16 of 18 greens…best iron play in 5 months. Anyone want a set of 5-month used Apex irons?

Check out the Buy, Sell, Trade thread - very possible someone might want to take those off you at a decent return on your investment.  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/forum/28-buyselltrade/

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Tracking this thread too.  I picked up the 2021 P790's, but had the Stealth irons under consideration.  As a high single-digit handicap, felt like either would suit me, but always wanted the P790's.

I looked at the new Stealth HD, but unlike a lot of commenter's here, I hated the way they look.  To me, they look long and hybrid-like, not something I want in my irons.

Very interested in seeing how this all shakes out.  Thanks for doing it and posting your journey!

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

I didn't game the P790's yesterday as it was really wet and soupy at our course and I figured the extra bounce of the Stealth HDs would help by gliding through the slush. I did not have a good round as I plodded along for a 90 which is the highest I have shot with the HD irons. Today the P790's came out for their debut on the golf course and they did not disappoint!  Prior to the round, I hit several shots on the range that had me giggling like a swamp hog in a corn bin.  I mean seriously now I'm an old coot at 72 and I'm hitting beautiful high shots with a blade-looking iron.   I know it's not a blade but when you have been playing dinosaur butts like myself, the P790's look rather skinny. I could actually feel my heart flutter a bit like the first time I saw my sweetie pie in a mini skirt. 

Ok, let's move on to the golf course the fun I had on the front nine had me excited.  I had seven pars and two bogies for a 38 which is pretty darn good for a first-time out! I was sticking my chest out like a male moose after a pretty little heifer on the back when my short game decided to vacant the premises. I did have a couple of come-out-of-my-posture swings on the back which is no fault of the P790s so no I didn't hit them all well but good enough to impress me beyond my expectations.  Most of the poor shots came off my beloved Cleveland wedges on the back side and I limped home for a 45. 83 strokes with the P790's on board. 

Would anyone like to buy a slightly used set of Stealth HDs? 😂  I need to put them back in the bag tomorrow to keep my blog fair however I'm wanting more.  More P790s 😍

Cleveland

25 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Would anyone like to buy a slightly used set of Stealth HDs?

If you are left handed, we may need to talk.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

5 minutes ago, panhndl said:

If you are left handed, we may need to talk.

I'm right handed 

Cleveland

17 hours ago, ole gray said:

I'm right handed 

Always my luck

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

Yesterday I put the Stealth HDs back in the bag and I was hesitant because the P790s have proved exceptionally well for my game. It was like do I have to that's not good since I spent so much money on the fitting and the final cost for the HDs. The HDs are in the super game improvement category and I'm experiencing better results thus far with the P790s. Crazy right? 😲   I shot 90 Monday and 87 yesterday with the HDs which has me wondering if the 1/2-inch longer shaft from the fitting is causing some inconsistencies. I shot 77 the first time on the course however I'm seeing some ugly shots the last couple of rounds.   

I had the P790s checked by a reputable club builder for correct lofts and moved the loft up 1 degree however I kept the length standard. 

Maybe my long arms are offsetting what the Taylormade fitter at the Kingdom had decided for + 1/2 inch added shaft length. He never measured my wrist to the floor measurement. He said the impact on the clubface after placing a black line on the balls used was a better indicator of club length.    I'm not so sure now. 🤔

My P790s are the original (2017) model and they still look really good for their age. Very good in fact!  I was cleaning the Stealth HDs yesterday and found an odd blemish on the five iron. They have not been dropped or had any accidents while using my push cart so I'm befuddled. I sent some pictures to the Taylormade Kingdom at Lake Oconee of the iron in question as there is a two-year warranty.  You can see the blemish in the upper right top side of the 5 iron.

The P790s go back in the bag for now or maybe longer.......

damaged5ironstraw.jpeg

damaged5iron2.jpeg

Damaged5iron.jpeg

Cleveland

I made a couple of adjustments to the Stealth HDs to include changing grips back to jumbo and cutting the shaft down 1/2 to standard. When I first started gaming these irons I played really well with them.  I going to prove it's either the arrow or maybe the Indian as the HDs are solid irons and need more rounds to confirm if they can beat the P790s for bag time. 

Cleveland

I was hitting balls into my backyard net with the Stealth HD irons and I was thinking of how they felt on center strikes and the ones not so pure.  They feel good on the well-struck shots however those not-so-pure feel HARD or maybe even harsh is a better word.  I can feel the clubhead recoiling almost sideways at times. The P790s feel surprisingly solid and in control with almost any shot off the club face. 

Cleveland

On 3/30/2023 at 5:28 AM, ole gray said:

Yesterday I put the Stealth HDs back in the bag and I was hesitant because the P790s have proved exceptionally well for my game. It was like do I have to that's not good since I spent so much money on the fitting and the final cost for the HDs. The HDs are in the super game improvement category and I'm experiencing better results thus far with the P790s. Crazy right? 😲   I shot 90 Monday and 87 yesterday with the HDs which has me wondering if the 1/2-inch longer shaft from the fitting is causing some inconsistencies. I shot 77 the first time on the course however I'm seeing some ugly shots the last couple of rounds.   

I had the P790s checked by a reputable club builder for correct lofts and moved the loft up 1 degree however I kept the length standard. 

Maybe my long arms are offsetting what the Taylormade fitter at the Kingdom had decided for + 1/2 inch added shaft length. He never measured my wrist to the floor measurement. He said the impact on the clubface after placing a black line on the balls used was a better indicator of club length.    I'm not so sure now. 🤔

My P790s are the original (2017) model and they still look really good for their age. Very good in fact!  I was cleaning the Stealth HDs yesterday and found an odd blemish on the five iron. They have not been dropped or had any accidents while using my push cart so I'm befuddled. I sent some pictures to the Taylormade Kingdom at Lake Oconee of the iron in question as there is a two-year warranty.  You can see the blemish in the upper right top side of the 5 iron.

The P790s go back in the bag for now or maybe longer.......

Wow, I can't believe your new Stealth HD irons look like that!  My first thought was...fake irons?  I don't think I've ever seen this from any club, much less a Taylormade.

I'm sure you got them from a reputable place, so it almost has to be a manufacturer's defect, right?  Let us know how this turns out...

BTW, gaming my new (2021)P790's tomorrow.  I've played them a few times over the winter, but with hard greens and fairways.  Really anxious to see how I do with them, especially since I played really well last season with the TM M-6 irons.

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

6 minutes ago, Peejer said:

Wow, I can't believe your new Stealth HD irons look like that!  My first thought was...fake irons?  I don't think I've ever seen this from any club, much less a Taylormade.

I'm sure you got them from a reputable place, so it almost has to be a manufacturer's defect, right?  Let us know how this turns out...

BTW, gaming my new (2021)P790's tomorrow.  I've played them a few times over the winter, but with hard greens and fairways.  Really anxious to see how I do with them, especially since I played really well last season with the TM M-6 irons.

-- Peejer

I purchased them from the Taylormade Kingdom at Lake Oconee which is a fitting center for Taylormade Tour Staff for the east coast.  The irons are legit for sure.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the blemish.   Crazy huh!?

Cleveland