TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Length Fitting Question

I was fitted for my first real set about 5 years ago. Went to a Scheels by my house and got fitted for Titleist 718 AP1 iron set. They had me fitted for +1" shafts. I am just under 6'3" in height. I have always struggled with my longer irons, but have always been good with the shorter irons (8 and below). 

Recently, I went to get refitted for a new iron set and was interested in Callaway irons since I love the Jaws wedges. Got fitted for Callaway Apex 21 irons in the standard shaft, felt amazing. When I asked why they didn't consider shaft length in the fitting, the fitter just said to go with my last iron shaft length (which is +1"). My worry was that I got fitted in standard length, and was hitting them really well, getting great numbers on the trackman... 

I also asked the PGA professional about this, and he told me it's a combo of many different things, but going with what's most comfortable in the end. My assumption was shaft length was correlated with player height.

What is everyones thoughts on this? My gut was to go with the middleman and play with +1/2" shafts.

Celtics33fire23

Northwoods Golfer ⛳

Lineup

Driver: Undecided... (Leaning Toward Callaway Paradym X) 

3 Wood: Taylormade M3 Mitsubishi Tenesi 55G Shaft +1/2" 

Hybrid: Undecided...

Irons: Callaway Apex 21 (5-AW)  +1/2" Stiff True Temper 85

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Weges 52° S Grind 10 Bounce and 56° S Grind 10 Bounce 

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2.5 35"

5 minutes ago, celtics33fire23 said:

I was fitted for my first real set about 5 years ago. Went to a Scheels by my house and got fitted for Titleist 718 AP1 iron set. They had me fitted for +1" shafts. I am just under 6'3" in height. I have always struggled with my longer irons, but have always been good with the shorter irons (8 and below). 

Recently, I went to get refitted for a new iron set and was interested in Callaway irons since I love the Jaws wedges. Got fitted for Callaway Apex 21 irons in the standard shaft, felt amazing. When I asked why they didn't consider shaft length in the fitting, the fitter just said to go with my last iron shaft length (which is +1"). My worry was that I got fitted in standard length, and was hitting them really well, getting great numbers on the trackman... 

I also asked the PGA professional about this, and he told me it's a combo of many different things, but going with what's most comfortable in the end. My assumption was shaft length was correlated with player height.

What is everyones thoughts on this? My gut was to go with the middleman and play with +1/2" shafts.

... The whole process of a fitting is supposed to find what works best for your swing. They certainly should have had a 1" long iron for you to hit and compare with standard length. I have honestly never heard of a fitting where they said go with your last iron length? which defeats the purpose of being fit. Going 1/2" long is just a guess. With the cost of iron these days I would want to be sure I had the best fit. Height can be irrelevant to shaft length if you bend more or less at address. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Just now, chisag said:

... The whole process of a fitting is supposed to find what works best for your swing. They certainly should have had a 1" long iron for you to hit and compare with standard length. I have honestly never heard of a fitting where they said go with your last iron length? which defeats the purpose of being fit. Going 1/2" long is just a guess. With the cost of iron these days I would want to be sure I had the best fit. Height can be irrelevant to shaft length if you bend more or less at address. 

My fitting cart has clubs that range from -1” to +1.5” in length and since all of my fitting clubs have interchangeable threaded hosel adapters with a screw-type nut on the shafts, I can put the fitting heads on any of the shafts.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

12 minutes ago, celtics33fire23 said:

NOT a good fitting practice at all!

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

Agreed. Based off how i was hitting them and feel, im very hesitant to go back to +1" unless i tried it. I feel like the whole fitting experience was incomplete. 

Also curious if lie should have been considered in the fitting as well? The PGA pro told me if i ordered the irons, i could get the lie adjusted once the irons come in. 

Celtics33fire23

Northwoods Golfer ⛳

Lineup

20 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

NOT a good fitting practice at all!

Thats what happens i guess when you go to a free fitting session at your golf club haha.

Celtics33fire23

Northwoods Golfer ⛳

Lineup

11 minutes ago, celtics33fire23 said:

Agreed. Based off how i was hitting them and feel, im very hesitant to go back to +1" unless i tried it. I feel like the whole fitting experience was incomplete. 

Also curious if lie should have been considered in the fitting as well? The PGA pro told me if i ordered the irons, i could get the lie adjusted once the irons come in. 

... Definitely incomplete. Lie adjusted when they arrive is a better option since OEMs lie/lofts can be all over the place. Even special orders with a spec sheet included from Mizuno (all others too) can be off by + or - 2* when actually measured. 

7 hours ago, celtics33fire23 said:

You wrist to floor measurement wasn't taken or considered?  It's more important than height imo.  You can look up general static fitting guidelines pretty easily. 

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

12 hours ago, bekgolf said:

You wrist to floor measurement wasn't taken or considered?  It's more important than height imo.  You can look up general static fitting guidelines pretty easily. 

Not at all. 

I am curious about the static guidelines. Do you have any info to share on that?

Celtics33fire23

Northwoods Golfer ⛳

Lineup

13 minutes ago, celtics33fire23 said:

Not at all. 

I am curious about the static guidelines. Do you have any info to share on that?

You can find some recommendations based on a static fit chart. Here is pings: https://ping.com/en-us/misc/stash/fitting/iron-color-code-chart

if you are doing an in person fitting, I don’t believe you should rely on static fitting other than a place to start.  Your setup and how you deliver the club during the swing and at impact influences the shaft length and the needed lie angle.   Basically, Static fitting isn’t a great way to be fit.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

You can find some recommendations based on a static fit chart. Here is pings: https://ping.com/en-us/misc/stash/fitting/iron-color-code-chart

if you are doing an in person fitting, I don’t believe you should rely on static fitting other than a place to start.  Your setup and how you deliver the club during the swing and at impact influences the shaft length and the needed lie angle.   Basically, Static fitting isn’t a great way to be fit.   

Exactly.  Gotta start somewhere and I'm surprised they just looked at him and said +1" without taking measurements.

OP:  Your gut is steering you in the right direction imo.  I wonder if the standard irons felt better because the swing weight and lie angles were closer to standard?  I hope you get it sorted out and on a sidenote I never knew Scheels had golf gear, lol.  I grew up in the upper plains and they were mostly known for high prices on hunting gear, they did have what you needed in stock though.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

On 3/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, cnosil said:

Thanks for sending that info! Its in line with what I assume is the right setup. 

I agree with you on the static fitting part. Good baseline, but can yield inaccurate results if solely relied on.

Celtics33fire23

Northwoods Golfer ⛳

Lineup

On 3/28/2023 at 5:58 PM, bekgolf said:

Exactly.  Gotta start somewhere and I'm surprised they just looked at him and said +1" without taking measurements.

OP:  Your gut is steering you in the right direction imo.  I wonder if the standard irons felt better because the swing weight and lie angles were closer to standard?  I hope you get it sorted out and on a sidenote I never knew Scheels had golf gear, lol.  I grew up in the upper plains and they were mostly known for high prices on hunting gear, they did have what you needed in stock though.

I know, kind of frustrating that it was an incomplete fitting. 

I might go back and see if the PGA pro can sort of "complete" the rest of the fitting. Also a good excuse to hit on the simulator since theres still snow on the ground lol.

Yeah only real golf shop near me, unless i drive over to Minneapolis (which is a hike). They got good golf gear and up-to-date club models, just expensive. I agree on the hunting gear, way too expensive there, but thats what happens when you're the only store that sells it around town lol.

Celtics33fire23

Northwoods Golfer ⛳

Lineup

• 2 weeks later...

Generally shaft length is based off of wrist to floor measurements! If your fitter did not do this I would consider reevaluating and finding one who will get proper measurements for you and consider your opinion/comfort level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strength coach💪

1 hour ago, Sinjin Todd said:

Generally shaft length is based off of wrist to floor measurements! If your fitter did not do this I would consider reevaluating and finding one who will get proper measurements for you and consider your opinion/comfort level

... While wrist to floor is just a starting point, address position is much more important. Knee bend and waist bend can be radically different ala Kevin Sutherland and Davis Love III. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is why i say "fitting" is pretty much ineffective for anyone +10 or higher......in the end the pro says "just go with what's more comfortable".....ok thanks....

but he is right...if you are comfortable, you will play better.....

Golf is cool

5 hours ago, Tsecor said:

This is why i say "fitting" is pretty much ineffective for anyone +10 or higher......in the end the pro says "just go with what's more comfortable".....ok thanks....

but he is right...if you are comfortable, you will play better.....

... It just isn't that simple or easy. Golf is so counter intuitive on many levels. Hit down to make the ball go up. If you are slicing it to the right, aiming to the left makes it even worse. The ignorance when it comes to golf equipment for the average player is just off the charts, understandable with all the technical marketing. I have played with so many that don't know what shaft they are playing, what weight or what flex.  Someone with a smooth swing at around 90mph using a 9.5* loft, with a stiff tipped HZRDUS shaft in s-flex will probably find 10.5* of loft with a stock mid flex and softer tip in r-flex performs much better with better feel to boot. 

... I am not saying everyone should drop $250 for a premium fitting but just going to Golf Galaxy, PGA SS or an OEM Demo Day can help them find equipment that works with their game, not against it. 

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It just isn't that simple or easy. Golf is so counter intuitive on many levels. Hit down to make the ball go up. If you are slicing it to the right, aiming to the left makes it even worse. The ignorance when it comes to golf equipment for the average player is just off the charts, understandable with all the technical marketing. I have played with so many that don't know what shaft they are playing, what weight or what flex.  Someone with a smooth swing at around 90mph using a 9.5* loft, with a stiff tipped HZRDUS shaft in s-flex will probably find 10.5* of loft with a stock mid flex and softer tip in r-flex performs much better with better feel to boot. 

... I am not saying everyone should drop $250 for a premium fitting but just going to Golf Galaxy, PGA SS or an OEM Demo Day can help them find equipment that works with their game, not against it. 

Before I had a pro fit me, i went to PGA SS for a "fitting" and it was so bad, I literally knew more than the "fitter"

i totally hear you and agree.....

Golf is cool

On 4/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, Sinjin Todd said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF measurement is not the best measurement for determining shaft length for a golfer for the following reasons:

1.) Golfers with the same (or similar) WTF measurements can have seriously different postures when addressing the ball.

2.) The lie angles for different golfers with similar WTF measurements can (and often will) be different, and this affects shaft length -- this is somewhat related to posture.

I thought of an excellent example to address this:  Keegan Bradley probably has a WTF measurement that indicates that he needs significantly longer than standard shafts in his clubs.  However, he bends over dramatically when addressing and hitting the golf ball (Paul Azinger did this as well, but not quite to the degree that Bradley does it).  Because of this golfing posture, Bradley uses shafts that are pretty close to, if not dead-on, standard length.

Edited by funkyjudge
typos corrected and additional information added

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

Just now, funkyjudge said:

WTF measurement is not the best measurement for determining shaft length for a golfer for the following reasons:

1.) Golfers with the same (or similar) WTF measurements can have seriously different postures when addressing the ball.

2.) The lie angles for different golfers with similar WTF measurements can (and often will) be different, and this affects shaft length -- this is somewhat related to posture.

Thank you. I’ve been hammering this point whenever I see someone say that.

and use Rob who used to be on staff as an example. He’s 6’7” and at a titlest fitting at TPI the fitter out him in their standard length for irons and considered even going 1/4” short

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Thank you. I’ve been hammering this point whenever I see someone say that.

and use Rob who used to be on staff as an example. He’s 6’7” and at a titlest fitting at TPI the fitter out him in their standard length for irons and considered even going 1/4” short

I just edited my reply to add some examples that exemplify this -- Keegan Bradley and Paul Azinger.

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

3 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I thought of an excellent example to address this:  Keegan Bradley probably has a WTF measurement that indicates that he needs significantly longer than standard shafts in his clubs.  However, he bends over dramatically when addressing and hitting the golf ball (Paul Azinger did this as well, but not quite to the degree that Bradley does it).  Because of this golfing posture, Bradley uses shafts that are pretty close to, if not dead-on, standard length.

I don't think anyone said wtf was best, just that it's a starting place and (paraphrasing here) a better place to start than just going by height which is how the op was originally "fitted" and told that since he's 6'3" he needs +1" but his own experience told him that standard length and lie worked better.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

I don't think anyone said wtf was best, just that it's a starting place and (paraphrasing here) a better place to start than just going by height which is how the op was originally "fitted" and told that since he's 6'3" he needs +1" but his own experience told him that standard length and lie worked better.

The person he quoted said length is generally based off wtf and that if the fitter didn’t do that then run away.

Therers not a fitter I know that even uses it as a start point. I’ve been fit by Ping reps, Ping fitters from hq and Ping fitter of the year for the last nearly 20 years. None of them used wtf despite that being something they were big on, along with measuring the hand for grip size.

The op had a bad fitting. Height isn’t something to base it off either per my example of a former staff member here

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Length of the golf club is one of the more to most important parameter(s) of the golf club. Length is equal to consistency.

It is IMO the one parameter that can be determined via dynamic testing. regardless of the shaft head etc.

Once the proper length is found you can start finding the rest of the needs after.

Using a club an inch over at your height seems excessive unless you have short arms or swing in a fashion that picks up the swing while swinging across the target line. much like stepping out of the batters box.

Use your current 6 iron and hit three balls check the impact pattern, then choke down 1/2" and do it again then another 1/2" and do it again it will become obvious which length is better suited to you.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I think it’s all about feel. I’m 6’ and play a 44” driver with standard length irons. I find the shorter driver helps with control but does give up distance. But I have to stop chasing distance If the club works. Go with what feels best, not with what “the on paper” suggests. If something feels good and it works for you that’s what it’s about!

K Walker

Rory Mcilroy just shortened his driver and it hitting it further......hitting more centered and gained some yards......with todays 46" shafts, im not sure how amateurs are supposed to get better. Not everything is about length when you spray it all over the course

Golf is cool