TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rotary Swing

JMiller

INTRO

So for those of you that haven't read my posts lately in the Ben Hogan thread I have been working my way through the RS Tour swing model on their website. I paid the $20 for a month membership just to get a good understanding of their view on their golf swing. I am not affiliated with them at all, I just like studying swing methods and as a hobby I like to watch video of others swings and understand what can cause problems with consistency in their swing. I am always interested in something that is completely based on bio-mechanics and honestly they use Tiger Woods from 2000 on their website as a reference a lot point out the things that he has done correctly in the golf swing and the things that are not so correct why he misses like he misses.

From working with Burnt Edges Consulting on putting and I'll probably start doing some full swing stuff with Bruce as well, I know that you have to understand the HOW and WHY you do something to have convection in a stroke of swing in golf. This way when someone comes along and asks you about something you know how to answer them and ignore and filter out the good swing advice and the bad swing advice for your body and swing mechanics.

BACKGROUND

Rotary Swing has two basic models that they teach on their website Rotary Swing 1.0 (RS1) and Rotary Swing Tour (RST). The RS1 is targeted at players that are a high handicap and have little time to practice, it is a very one plane golf swing that uses the body to generate power and consistency in a little amount of work / time. The RST swing is all based on bio-mechanics and how to make the body work the most efficiently in the golf swing. It is targeted at players that take their game seriously (I would have to assume that is a majority of MGS posters and readers) that have about 2 hours of practice time a day or at least even 1 hour of practice time to dedicate to the moves that they teach. Don't get discouraged about RTS model that I say 2 hours a day I'll explain this more bellow.

The RST model has 4 basic divisions and premium members get videos in five phases, there are a TON of videos to view it is crazy, it took me 2 or 3 days just to get through the Phase 1 through Phase 5 and take notes. The have bonus sections that are avilible to paying members that includes a swing analysis of top professionals, including Ben Hogan, Tiger Woods, etc. I found the videos and information to be worth $20 just as a trial and information basis.

Phase 1 covers 'how to learn' and 'truths of teaching', it is just information videos and why they built the RST model swing. It is 13 videos in total and has some really good information if your goal is to understand the ideas and methods behind the moves and stuff they are trying to teach.

Phase 2 covers 'the setup' and will start to give a drill for 'the takeaway' it is a total of 17 videos. It really goes into a great amount of detail on posture and setup positions including weight distribution and spine tilt. There is a video titled 'faults caused by poor setup' that talks in detail about swing faults caused by poor setup, another titled 'faults caused by poor ball position'. They really start to build their model from the ground up in Phase 2 from the very very basics.

Phase 3 covers 'move 1' or the takeaway. There are a total of 19 videos just on how to make the first move off the ball. They go into a lot of details and give drills on what they call 'the shoulder glide' and 'pulling from the right shoulder'. Honestly this move is not hard to master, if you just think about pulling your right shoulder behind your head in the backswing the takeaway becomes a one piece takeaway and gets you into a perfect position at about 7 or 8 o'clock where the shaft is parallel to the ground and your shoulders are turned about 45* already with no hip turn.your hands haven't crossed the center line of your body either.

Phase 4 covers 'move 2' or completing the backswing. There are only 9 videos as this back of the swing is nothing much like 1" more shoulder turn and right elbow pitting the bend upwards. This is the first time the hands cross the center line of the body. They talk about how to get into the perfect position at the top and give drills to get you in the habit of rotating, bending the right elbow where it stays close to the body (no flying right elbow) and what to do with the arms to get the club pointing more towards the target line and not crossing the line, possibly even a little laid off at that top.

Phase 5 covers 'move 3', 'move 4' or downswing and follow through. There are a total of 39 videos for this one section. They really start small and talk about the first move being a weight shift to the left leaving the arms and shoulders passive. A 'squat' so to speak tiger does this the most noticeable but all tour pros do it a little if you watch there legs move at the start of the down swing they all get slightly more knee flex for the most part 'sitting down' into the left side. This section is targeted at 'hip spinners' or people that rotate their hips and shoulder way to fast / drive from the right side rather then pull with the left. A lot of low handicaps have this issue and will feel 'suck' on the downswing because better golfers understand how to use the body but tend to over do it. Out of the 39 videos only 2 videos are even classified as move 4, and they are more a check point for move 4 and impact positions.

27 videos in the 'Bonus Videos' section, this includes sections named 'bomb your driver', 'Golf Instruction Myths', 'Course Management'

21 videos in a 'golf fitness' section, if you like to work out why not taller your work out to your golf game?

35 videos in a section titled 'tour pros', this is where they take a tour pros swing and analyze what they do well and what they don't do well, love this section.

19 videos under a 'short game' section, found the 'wedge play' stuff useful honestly, it was a good refresher course for me.

MY REVIEW AND PROGRESS AFTER ABOUT 1 WEEK

So what is my progress in working towards the perfect RST swing, well Move 1 and Move 2 came to me very easily as my normal takeaway from studying a little hogan was almost the same. I made close to the same movements just didn't know the HOW and WHY to make them and how setup and ball position effects the swing that was something nice to learn about. Really where I am at is in Move 3 the downswing / impact.

I am a hip spinner and tend to get stuck behind myself a lot before reviewing these videos, in practicing sitting down into my left side i started hitting the ball a lot better and not once have a felt 'stuck' or trapped when my first move is a weight shift onto my left side. I used to do this without knowing it back in 2007 when I played to a 1.1 handicap but somewhere over time I started driving with the right side instead of sitting and pulling with the left side in the down swing.

Currently my biggest fault now that sitting into the left side is become pretty much a natural movement to start my down swing (not perfect yet but getting closer) my misses have become a pull hook. This is caused from two things in my swing and I can feel both of them happen. I am so used to making a hard flip release to square the face late from being stuck (if I got late I would hit a block a little early a push hook or snap hook or duck hook), the arms are actually over rotating form what they need to to make a solid swing. I have Bubba's 40 yard hook with out problems lol. the other issue is my right shoulder is still wanting to driver through the ball and push the club through impact rather then let the hand freely release at times. This is working my left should up and out and opening my shoulders at impact. I have to really feel like i am driving the left shoulder down and through the shot for as a long as possible and make the right should feel passive in the hitting area.

When I have executed everything properly, my body 3 feet behind the ball (from where the hands get to the right thigh) to past the ball my body feels like it is literally limp and doing nothing at all it's job has been completed. My hands and arms swing freely in front of me allowing for a smooth good full release and ability to work the ball properly. To work the ball properly the right hand is only power the left hand controls the face. A cup left wrist will promote a fade if you hold off the release a little as well, the more hold and cup you have bigger cut you will have. Draw is the opposite, if the left hand gets bowed out and the back of the left hand starts pointing straight at the ground will determine how much draw or hook you have. There are some other things that will control trajectory and shot shape that they will go over in their Phase 5 videos towards the end of them.

When you execute the swing properly you not only have a consistent golf swing you can build on for control and consistency you also have a golf swing that will leave you injury free and you can play a lot more golf over longer periods of time. The whole thing is based on bio-mechanical body movement and to reduce injury and support you body to make it work effortlessly. A lot of people will talk about 'effortless looking power' and how tour pros have it but they really can't tell you the WHY and HOW to make it happen in your own swing.

I haven't made many perfect swings to their RST model, but I did make one two days ago and damn near aced a par 3 for the first time flew it right over the pin just a little strong had 8 foot putt left, it was based feeling strike / release I have felt since probably 2008 when I shot my -1 under 71 round.

There are a total of 97 videos as of this posting for Phase 1 through Phase 5 they add more as they get stuff on the forum and a lot of questions on a given topic. They have other videos out there for viewing but that is just specific to their drills, methods and demonstrations for the swing.

CONCLUSION AND SCORE

Just from knowing the swing and being able to replicate a couple of the swings perfectly or at least felt perfect to me without a video camera on me that resulted in passive body with free arms through the hitting area, this swing works, it might not be the easiest thing to master as a high handicap but once you do you won't have to worry about striking again, the dreaded PS off the tee and from irons will start to vanish and more GIRs will start to show up. Over the last few 9 hole rounds i have played working on things I have increased GIR from 4 or 5 per 9 holes to 5 to 7 per nine holes, yesterday I had 5 of 7 FIR (two I missed were 3 yards off fairway in play) and 6 of 9 GIR. This is with the right shoulder pushing to much, so can't wait to see what happens when I get that passive.

I really think this is one 'swing method' that actually works really well. They give the HOW and WHY and that has HUGE props in my book. To me when someone gives you the HOW and WHY they want you to learn how to improve and continue learning on your own, not continuously pouring money into their instruction. They really lead you through it and encourage you to build your swing up piece by piece at slower speeds then a full swing. They talk about crawling, then walking, then running in terms of speed to master the moves, some people it takes longer then others. With majority of their drills starting without a club you can do them just standing around on lunch break or just bored.

If you are an instructor and just like studying swings I recommend the videos, you out of everyone will probably start to think about what they teach more and how to teach yourself. I have studied a lot of golf swings and understand how the golf swing works, but the key thing I was missing was the HOW and WHY to do things in the golf swing and why and how I do things in my own swing. Convection about the swing gives some piece of mind that it will be reliable under pressure.

Score ~ 9.9 out of 10

I have to give them a great rating, they went the extra mile to help their viewers understand the swing they are teaching, they have tools provided to help you learn the swing better in uploading video, they admit that there is no 'quick fix' to a good golf swing. They modeled the swing after bio-mechanics and making a swing work the most effortlessly possible preventing injury. Really, if anything it gave me a better understanding of my own golf swing and what is causing my misses in my swing and possible ways to fix them.

Hope you enjoyed the read, I'll answer as many questions as I can but don't want to really get into a lot of detail about a given video that is not available without paying, these are golf professionals (instructors) trying to make a living.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I am a subscriber and I fully agree with JMiller.

IF you want to know why and how this is a great source of information.

Definitely simplifies learning because you know exactly what you need to do, why you do it and most importantly how to do it correctly using the right set of muscles.

D: Ping G400 Max, MRC Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX

3+w: Callaway Rogue, Aldila Synergy 60 S

3H, 4H: TBD

5i: MP18 Fli-hi, 6i-8i: MP18 SC, 9i-PW: MP18, MRC OTi 100 S

50, 55, 60: Edel 

I think this swing (RST) is something between a one plane and a two plane. RS1 is pretty much a one plane from the things I have looked at about it.

Move 1 in RST the takeaway really is a simple little amount of movement. I was surprised just how little movement it took to get the club parallel to the ground and in a good position just to hinge the right arm 90* to get to the top. I was able to hit a few punch like shots just from the takeaway position and firing the right hand forward after setting into my left side.

Move 2 in RST is another little movement, if you flex the right elbow 90* upward then you get to the top with a little laid off shaft, so a little rotation up to the top with the left arm and the club is pointed straight down the line. I would call the top position something between one plane and two plane more of a hybrid depending on your build and where you are conferable in the top positions. Think of Tiger Woods in 2000 he was a Hybrid in terms of plane at the top.

Move 3 well I would split this into Move 3a and Move 3b personally. Move 3a being from the top with passive shoulders, hands and weight shift two the left. high handicap casters will find this weird at first. Low handicaps it's pretty natural for most of us, might need a small tweak but not bad in general. Move 3b is where high handicappers and a lot of lower handicapper might struggle and take some time with. I am talking about from about 9 o'clock position with the lead arm parallel to the ground into impact. I would say even after you master the move 1, 2, 3a, 3b is still going to take a lot of practice in getting the release / impact position timed well and natural, that is pretty much where I am in fixing my swing based on information with RST. Like I said I got down to a 1.1 handicap at one point I didn't do it with bad swing mechanics, my misses back then worse pulls and hooks (same as what I see now) so pretty much back to where I was then in terms of ball striking, short game and putting not so much.

Move 4, natural forward momentum will pull up up and out of the shout like they show, I like to let my hands and arms drop down like they rest on my left shoulder, they finish more up around my ear but then come down to the shoulder just feels better to me to let the hands get lazy at the very end as I look up for the ball. A follow through doesn't really matter to me it changes based on the shot trajectory and shape I try to hit, just another dynamic part of the swing.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I guess I like to split the downswing into two sections mostly because it is so dynamic and really a lot going on in the downswing that needs isolated in my swing.

Transition to thigh high part a then release and impact positions part b. part a gets you into position for part b, so I worked on it yesterday exclusively at the practice tee 'range'. Sequence the swing Weight shift, passive shoulders, pull down to thigh high... I then had to start getting a little rotation in the pull down to thigh high from 9 0'clock where the lead arm is parallel to the ground, the rotation is just a slight bow of the left wrist to get the shaft parallel with the target line and club head square at thigh high. I was experiencing my driver the club getting laid off behind me and open at thigh high, hard to square the face from that position consistently at impact. That is where I left off yesterday was working on my feeling of the left wrist starting to rotate a little without losing my wrist set to thigh high So it would put me in a position to really fire the right arm into impact.

Long ways to go but getting their, I know their is at least two things I need to tweak about my impact and release, left elbow position (pointed at the dirt rather then down the target line at impact at risk for injury in that elbow) and i tend to hold onto the club with the right hand, after impact, need to practice letting it release a little more freely.

If you all have questions about RST or my swing I'd be happy to answer what I can, but you can get same information as I have on their website. If you want to talk about you own experiences with the RST model swing then feel feel to hop in the discussion and tell us about your experiences and what you think about it.

Jmiller, this sounds like a fantastic review, but I had to stop reading because it's putting too many thoughts in my head :lol:

Is there something in between the complexity of RS1 and RST for those of us who can only practice two or three times a week?

I am not trying to confuse anyone lol. Picking out what is going to work in your swing from the stuff that won't is the hardest part about golf instruction and learning. Rotary Swing covers this in their Phase I videos and why it is counter productive to just try anything you read or hear, I won't get too much into it here that i will leave for them to talk about.

I am on Phase 5 and well past Phase 2, 3, 4 which all build up to phase 5. You are supposed to watch the videos in the order they are presented, Phase 1 to 5 and top to bottom in each phase. So a lot of the videos will build on previously learned and engrained materials. You have to master move I before going on to move 2, move 2 before move 3a as i called it, 3a before 3b, then move 4.

They don't like to use 'one-plane' or 'two-plane' because how that gets defined changes a lot between whom you ask to define it. If you wanted to classify 'one-plane' where the lead arm is with-in 12* on the same plane as the shoulders then you might consider both swings as 'one plane' for some people. I see it more as the movements and sequence. a one planer tends to turn more around their body in the backswing and more around in the through swing. A two-planner tends to come high off the takeaway then do a lot of lifting early in the backswing.

In short I see RS1 and a 'one-plane' type swing and RST more as a hybrid between a one plane and two plane. In RST you have a takeaway that resembles a one plane swing but then you lift like a 2 plane swing to complete the backswing the position at the top will look about like a one plan to a hybrid not too much a two plane where the lead arm comes high on the neck, a one plane comes through at the height of the trialling back shoulder about so it's somewhere between the two. The down swing is more like a two plane downswing then a one in RST that is for sure.

I found a YouTube video on the differences, it is best that they describe it then I try to.

JMiller:

Rotary Swing ought to give you a commission because I just signed up. I watched the free videos, liked what I heard, so I went ahead and signed up for a month to check out the rest. Definitely some good stuff there, and I like that it's all very simplified. One of my pet peeves is all the instruction I see that seems to exist only to create new jargon/bulls***.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

JMiller:

Rotary Swing ought to give you a commission because I just signed up. I watched the free videos, liked what I heard, so I went ahead and signed up for a month to check out the rest. Definitely some good stuff there, and I like that it's all very simplified. One of my pet peeves is all the instruction I see that seems to exist only to create new jargon/bulls***.

I agree with you 100%, I hate to read the crap in magazines and hear some of the crap that gets released as the new best swing method. The real issue is the average person doesn't know enough about their own swing to know what is going to work and what can really hurt them. So I look into something like rotary swing very carefully my tone would be a lot different if i didn't like what i saw if i thought what they said was pure BS trying to make a buck.

The thing that really was a great surprise was when they went into the details about even set-up and posture, how poor posture changes swing plane. They also did the same thing with ball positions, most of us see this as trivial stuff but it really isn't both have a big impact on contact, ball flight and sequence of the swing in terms of swing plane and consistency.

I am also not a 'swing method' type of person I think that a golf swing is individual. However, I feel that their are more efficient, consistent and just lower maintenance over other movements in the golf swing. I approach a 'swing method' with a grain of salt, sometimes the moves are very unnatural and will have poor consciences on the swing.

I want to point out something for example 'stack and tilt' since it is 'the new tour swing' which is pure bulls***. When looking at a new swing method ask yourself this 'what effect can this have on ALL of my clubs?' If it doesn't work for all clubs from Driver to wedges it probably isn't that great of a method. For the Stack and tilt swing method, I have the following questions 'If you don't load on the rear leg (right leg for RH golfers) then how do you generate lag and power in the downswing?' 'One longer clubs if you needed to hit a high ball how would that be accomplished??' Stack and Tilt works really well in wedges and short irons you want to flight them lower and don't need a lot of power coil from them control is the objective. It fails in longer clubs espesually the driver, you will hit very weak low drives keeping all your weight on the front foot try it sometime.

I really wasn't able to poke any holes in what rotary swing said, not to mention the fact that they go into a lot of detail on how and why their swing method and moves are the way they designed them. Matt if you find anything you see that doesn't sound right or could be bulls*** please let us know I couldn't find much but I don't do instruction for a living.

I will certainly keep this thread going as I watch the videos. Just getting started and the biggest thing I like is the tone. It's not sales-y, more factual. I also thought his point about the trends in golf instruction (from Jones to Hogan to Nicklaus to Norman to Tiger) is fascinating.

I will certainly keep this thread going as I watch the videos. Just getting started and the biggest thing I like is the tone. It's not sales-y, more factual. I also thought his point about the trends in golf instruction (from Jones to Hogan to Nicklaus to Norman to Tiger) is fascinating.

Yea the tone is great why I liked it so much sounded like more trying to bring facts and understanding then anything. I thought the trend thing was interesting as well also.

I have read Chuck Quinton's "The Rotary Swing" and found it very helpful and have incorporated many of his thoughts into my swing. I may have to check this out, as the writing is not always clear and having some video and expansion on some of his descriptions could be helpful. Thanks!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I just read through this briefly for the first time today. I have been studiously avoiding this because it conflicts with the theory that I have been trying to incorperate into my swing. I have been studying the "Four Magic Moves of Golf" by Joe Dante. This is an old theory and basically teaches an early wrist break to start the backswing, spring tension in the turn to the top with a straight left arm, a lateral hip slide to start the down swing, and a late release of the hands at impact.

What sounded simular is that you make no effort to swing the arms. Or I believe you said effortless power from the arms.

I have been working on this since August but sort of got out of it with my back problems. I thought about it today on the course and focused on it again and was having a really great day. It helped because I was wanting to hit my "new" hybrids off the tee and this really worked better in the past with irons vs. the driver. I only hit the driver 4 times today, but used this then and hit it very long and staight. I was three under par with 3 holes to play when the battery cable on my cart broke, and I had to stop to repair the cart and get it back before it got too dark and it started to rain. I had hit every fairway and all but three greens. I guess I have to be honest and tell that on a par 5 on my third shot I bladed my ball accross the green from 30 yards, pitched back over the green to 20 yards off the green, then two putted for double bogey on the second hole but had 4 birdies on the other 14 holes.

A combination of focusing on the fundamentals, and basically starting the hole from 200 - 240 yards (used two different hybrids and a 4 iron) in the middle of the fairway on the par 4's was sure helping my scoring.

I am looking forward to tomorrow to try this again. With a new battery cable.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I want to say that their are really three main golf swings that have been successful over the years. 'one plane', 'hybrid', 'two-plane'. DO NOT mix and match advice for one swing model into a different model. For example do not have a two-plane down swing with a one plane backswing that will likely give terrible results.

Like I have said previously RS1 or RS 1.0 is a 'one plane' swing model, it has specific sequences for that swing. RST or RS Tour is a 'hybrid' swing model, it has different specific swing sequences from the RS1. If you are a two-plane swinger that doesn't want to completely overhaul their swing neither model is a good fit for you.

If you are wanting to over haul one thing in your golf swing it is 100 reps to start to get the feel and 3000-5000 reps to have it in muscle memory without thinking about it, that is a lot of CORRECT reps to get something fixed in your golf swing, you just have to put in the time and practice in doing correct movements, commit to making the change, there is not a quick fix in golf to a great golf swing, PGA Tour pros didn't get their by being lazy in practice time.

First thing that is just gonna take a lot of reps and practice to remove from my swing is getting to fast from the top with my upper body, when I try to hit one hard my shoulders start working to hard from the top of the backswing causing a cast move. Shoulders just have to stay passive in the first move into the down swing, when I do that I generate a ton more lag and better release freedom getting my hand back out in front of my body.

The next issue is pulling an Annika with my head releasing before impact, she is probably the only person that I know that can move their head and get good contact at the same time. Normally i top balls or hit them a little thin when I 'cheat' and look up a little early. I placed a ball out in front of the target ball I was hitting making sure to keep the 2nd ball in my peripheral vision well past impact allow my arms and shoulders to swing around my head then pull me up and out of the shot.

Both things that are swing flaws in my swing currently are just gonna take time to remove, some days I get them perfectly and have my A game that day other days it is really bad and have my D game for that day. This won't fix in a single week or even a couple weeks it's going to take doing drills and practice of correct reps. 3000 - 5000 of each point to really get both of them a firm hold in my swing.

This stuff is most noticable in a fairway metal off the deck and longer irons, short irons and driver allow a little room for error and get away with things, so when I practice you see my hit a ton of my 4 metals off the deck on the practice tee / range to get a feel and even a 3 iron and hybrid / rescue club it is easier to feel the sequence with longer clubs, wedges normally you don't have weight shift back and through most time weight is left mostly on the front leg like a stack and tilt type swing.

RoverRick, I was reading your response and noticed you said two things that the RST swing model is big on efficiency and preventing injury over the long term.

The RST talks a ton about preventing injury and what types of injury can be caused by improper posture and positions in the swing. Back pain, lead hip injury, lead leg knee injury are the most common they talk about, but they also talk a little about how to prevent 'golfers elbow'.

I mentioned a likely cause and drill to fix thin shots with this swing model above in my experiences so far, not sure if that is the reason or if the left shoulder is working up and out through impact, the left shoulder should feel low and level at impact in the RST swing.

• 2 weeks later...

GolfSpy Matt you get a chance to take a look at more video, I know you are an instructor be fun to read the insight that you have on the videos.

GolfSpy Matt you get a chance to take a look at more video, I know you are an instructor be fun to read the insight that you have on the videos.

I've watched everything up through Phase 3, and I'm halfway through Phase 4. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the presentation and the way things are explained. While I generally don't care for anyone who says, "This is THE way to do things," I would say that they/he does a good job with the tone of his videos. Also, I appreciate that he needs to say that his way is best because it's what he's selling and, I would guess, he believes it.

There are definitely some thoughts and feelings that I am adopting with some of my students. I particularly like the idea of the takeaway as a pull instead of a push.

I also appreciate the fact that he doesn't BS about how long change takes. My only concern with recommending this system to someone is knowing whether or not they are the type to do all the drills and totally rebuild their swing.

I'm eager to get into the downswing stuff, but I'm trying to work through it all methodically.

I've watched everything up through Phase 3, and I'm halfway through Phase 4. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the presentation and the way things are explained. While I generally don't care for anyone who says, "This is THE way to do things," I would say that they/he does a good job with the tone of his videos. Also, I appreciate that he needs to say that his way is best because it's what he's selling and, I would guess, he believes it.

There are definitely some thoughts and feelings that I am adopting with some of my students. I particularly like the idea of the takeaway as a pull instead of a push.

I also appreciate the fact that he doesn't BS about how long change takes. My only concern with recommending this system to someone is knowing whether or not they are the type to do all the drills and totally rebuild their swing.

I'm eager to get into the downswing stuff, but I'm trying to work through it all methodically.

I agree with you, it might not be THE way, but i think it's a pretty good way IF AND ONLY IF you commit to the drills and slowly work your way up from '1st gear' to '5th gear' over time, he suggests for the people that don't have time or can't commit to look at RS1.0

I love the takeaway idea, it is just easier and less the think about when learning, only thing that can happen is that in better players (myself included) it turns into a stack and tilt move where the weight doesn't shift and load on the back leg enough.

Matt the down swing sequence fits Burnt Edges Consulting Hybrid backswing position at the top if that gives you an idea what to expect (Bruce and I have chatted a little about Full Swing).

I agree with you, it might not be THE way, but i think it's a pretty good way IF AND ONLY IF you commit to the drills and slowly work your way up from '1st gear' to '5th gear' over time, he suggests for the people that don't have time or can't commit to look at RS1.0

I love the takeaway idea, it is just easier and less the think about when learning, only thing that can happen is that in better players (myself included) it turns into a stack and tilt move where the weight doesn't shift and load on the back leg enough.

Matt the down swing sequence fits Burnt Edges Consulting Hybrid backswing position at the top if that gives you an idea what to expect (Bruce and I have chatted a little about Full Swing).

I am disappointed that I didn't see that parallel before: little bump, then turn, very nice call.

I think that the weight shift is under-emphasized in their videos, or, more specifically, it doesn't seem built into the rest of the takeaway moves. Lots of emphasis on shoulder blade glide, not enough on the importance of the shift.

I am disappointed that I didn't see that parallel before: little bump, then turn, very nice call.

I think that the weight shift is under-emphasized in their videos, or, more specifically, it doesn't seem built into the rest of the takeaway moves. Lots of emphasis on shoulder blade glide, not enough on the importance of the shift.

yes the weight shift in phase 1 -4 is completely not talke about at all, but you have two main groups of players that might be working with these videos. High handicappers that have poor upper and lower body movement, worse upper most the time. Then you have the lower handicap that they labeled 'hip spinners' just means that they use the lower body too much and get the hands trapped behind the body and hips getting stuck.

In phase 5 they spend a ton of time on the weight shift and focus on hip spinners, like i said in my review I feel that Phase 5 is really two main sections into one. The transition and pull down to thigh yea (wrists still cocked and locked shaft parallel to target not inside). Then the thigh high position down to impact or simply put the release.

They have one thing that I foun interesting in phase 5 and it has to do with hte pull down with the left hand to thigh high and a little twist with the wrist to get the shaft parallel to the target line and face pretty square at that point. I have been trying it and when i do it properly I snap hook the crap out of the ball, just I am used to strong wrists / forearms closing down the face hard from an open position :)

Another one that is being a little tricky for me is toning down the right hand in the release, it really need to be more passive in the swing, i get my best strikes when i feel the left hand is what drives impact. The right hand over takes the left when I start going for more power, I'm sure it will eventually switch over after i train the left hand and right hand to work properly. Until it is consistent you can expect me to be all over the map in scores lol.

shot 37 on the front 9 of my club then took one day off then shot a 50 on the same nine, then yesterday dropped a 91 (46, 45), today i shot 42 on the front 9. Golf is a game as soon as you think you got it figured out... practice even more, it will laugh in your face that they gave your the gift of a good round and false hope.

HOLY *#$&! JMiller, I just watched the "Throw The Ball" drill (Phase 5) and I felt like they were talking about me the entire time. I'm taking that one into the bay tomorrow. If it works like they claim...wow...because I'd really like another 18 MPH of clubhead speed...a lot. Hell, I'd take 10. Report to follow.

HOLY *#$&! JMiller, I just watched the "Throw The Ball" drill (Phase 5) and I felt like they were talking about me the entire time. I'm taking that one into the bay tomorrow. If it works like they claim...wow...because I'd really like another 18 MPH of clubhead speed...a lot. Hell, I'd take 10. Report to follow.

I read this and started laughing, I feel into the Phase 5 videos a lot specifically the hip spinner stuff and how the release and lower body works in the down swing. Before I started in on RST I was a right side pusher / hip spinner bad getting trapped a lot. proper sequence and proper release give just same amount of distance I had swinging out of my shoes but more effortlessly, it is cool feeling to just feel lazy and bust one 300 off the tee.

I read this and started laughing, I feel into the Phase 5 videos a lot specifically the hip spinner stuff and how the release and lower body works in the down swing. Before I started in on RST I was a right side pusher / hip spinner bad getting trapped a lot. proper sequence and proper release give just same amount of distance I had swinging out of my shoes but more effortlessly, it is cool feeling to just feel lazy and bust one 300 off the tee.

I'm looking forward to that feeling.

I've gone through a weird progression from being an arms-y swinger with limited power, then a "hip spinner"/too-much-left-side-downswing where I picked up some power and distance, but the driver is just too unpredictable.

At every stage, I've always felt like I should have more clubhead speed. Not that I ever felt like I needed it or that it was the missing link, but I just felt that, based on my age/strength/etc, I should hit it farther. Now (I hope), I will.

I'm looking forward to that feeling.

I've gone through a weird progression from being an arms-y swinger with limited power, then a "hip spinner"/too-much-left-side-downswing where I picked up some power and distance, but the driver is just too unpredictable.

At every stage, I've always felt like I should have more clubhead speed. Not that I ever felt like I needed it or that it was the missing link, but I just felt that, based on my age/strength/etc, I should hit it farther. Now (I hope), I will.

Well, you defiantly don't need to be a huge guy that looks like a body builder to hit it 300, take Rory Mcllory for example 5'10", 160lbs current driving distance is 300.8 yards. I'm a 5'11" guy that is 180 lbs, I don't have a 6 pack, I don't look like tiger woods in my chest. I have good forearm muscles from playing ice hockey growing up.

I like to watch tiger woods swing the golf club from 1994 to 2000, he had a hybrid swing at the top. Rory is another good example of a hybrid type swing.

I have to say that my favorite thing about Rotary Swing is the mix of drills and advice for beginners, intermediate, and better players. Most sites you go to are geared towards one set of problems (usually slicing), which makes it of limited value.

As far as that drill I mentioned, I did pick up a full club with my irons and hit the ball beautifully straight (on GOOD swings). It wasn't the magic elixir, 12 second cure all that the site claimed, but it's definitely something I am going to be working on. I could see some good results with the driver, too, but it was not quite as consistent. Going to keep working.

I have to say that my favorite thing about Rotary Swing is the mix of drills and advice for beginners, intermediate, and better players. Most sites you go to are geared towards one set of problems (usually slicing), which makes it of limited value.

As far as that drill I mentioned, I did pick up a full club with my irons and hit the ball beautifully straight (on GOOD swings). It wasn't the magic elixir, 12 second cure all that the site claimed, but it's definitely something I am going to be working on. I could see some good results with the driver, too, but it was not quite as consistent. Going to keep working.

yea, I didn't believe that ball drill was a quick fix, it might be for some people but for others it might come more slowly. It sounds like I got you hooked at this point they have some really good concepts in the downswing sequence and some fun drills to use to fell the proper movements.

1 club in irons is normally what 10 - 12 yards for most people that is a big distance gain really. at 165 you go from 7iron say down to a 8iron, what is gonna be easier to hit closer? Probably the 8 iron, at least that is my stance on it.

Driver, you should watch the bonus videos "bomb you driver series" it has some great information in there.

yea, I didn't believe that ball drill was a quick fix, it might be for some people but for others it might come more slowly. It sounds like I got you hooked at this point they have some really good concepts in the downswing sequence and some fun drills to use to fell the proper movements.

1 club in irons is normally what 10 - 12 yards for most people that is a big distance gain really. at 165 you go from 7iron say down to a 8iron, what is gonna be easier to hit closer? Probably the 8 iron, at least that is my stance on it.

Driver, you should watch the bonus videos "bomb you driver series" it has some great information in there.

I'm surprised that you say that, I found the Bomb Your Driver Series disappointing. Wasn't much I hadn't seen, read, or heard elsewhere.

I do think the downswing stuff is great. I feel like so much of it speaks directly to the things I fight.

I'm surprised that you say that, I found the Bomb Your Driver Series disappointing. Wasn't much I hadn't seen, read, or heard elsewhere.

I do think the downswing stuff is great. I feel like so much of it speaks directly to the things I fight.

well I think it is good for the average person that doesn't know much about equipment. By this i mean how to measure true sweet spot, true lost at the sweet spot variances in heads. I think it was good information for the average guy so to speak. I was impressed that they were able to convey the concepts in a manner that was more simplistic.

Good to hear that you like the downswing stuff, tons and tons of videos on the downswing stuff.

• 9 years later...

Wow, this is an old thread, but I signed up for the $27 video on Rotaryswing.com, I got charged for it, it shows up on my account, but nowhere is there a link I can find to actually view the video.  I mean it could be there somewhere, IDK, but the bigger issue is there is ZERO customer service, not a single option to call anyone, or to email anyone in any way, shape, or form.  I was going to sign up for the whole program but just wanted to try out one video first.  Paid for it and can't even view that!  What the heck is up with this outfit?