TESTERS WANTED! ×

Happy Wife Happy...Golfer?

It's like we're the same person, only I misplaced my third kid.  🙂 (Two is plenty, as attested by the Snip'd thread, lol)

I'm lucky in that my schedule is Sunday-Thursday, with Fridays being my "me" day that I also fulfill all the shopping/errands that we need done around the house.  But that typically means I have time (at the very least) for a bucket and some putting practice.  

At this point, Saturdays are our family day - so that's sports practice (which hasn't started in earnest yet - kids are 7 (not very "sporty") and 3 (all he wants is to go golfing with me, so I may be lucky later on), which means if there's ANY golfing event on the schedule, I'm usually a no-show.  Which is fine, because I still have Fridays, but it does make it hard to see my "golf buddies" on a Sat/Sun without making my wife feel like she's a single parent - something I'm VERY aware is a trigger for her, as she was the only child of a single parent.

For us, communication is the key.  I try to tell her about the things I'm working on and where (if) I'm playing on Friday, and then make an extra effort to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks as far as things that need my attention around the house.  I've taken a few Sundays off to do "boys golf" stuff with my buddies, but those are very few and far between (because I try to keep my vacation days for family stuff, too), but as of yet have not taken a Saturday to do that.   She's said a few times, "you could totally do a Saturday morning - just as long as it's not EVERY Saturday morning," and I know she means it, but I also know that if I can get my "golf-fix" on Friday, no real need to make her feel less-than.

I feel your pain - it's SO hard to love something the way we love golf without having the people we love feel like it could possibly replace them - even if they know deep-down that's just not an option. 

I'd just reiterate that talking about it as much as you (and she) can is probably the start of the cure.  Let her know exactly what it does for you - and then see if scheduling one Saturday or one Sunday morning a month (it's a start) for you to get out early would be possible.  With the move to earlier mornings, there are times (back when we were living in NY) that I could get out pre-dawn, tee off first/second tee-time of the day, and be back before 10am - she would always laugh and say "we just woke up!" (with young kids that's never true, but I appreciated the effort 😉 ).

I've also tried, and you may have more success in this than I have so far, given my kids' ages, inviting my wife along - she's yet to take me up on that, but mostly because she works M-F, so our only family day is Saturday, and she's not sure she wants to spend a chunk of that on the golf course, lol - I can't say I blame her, considering we don't have any family nearby to watch the kids, so it'd end up us chasing our kids around a par-3 9-hole course for 2 hours while they yell 😉

Thanks for taking the time to post this - I think this is something a lot of Dads struggle with (I know for sure I do), so having a space to vent (even if that's all it is) is super valuable.  

Oh! And on a day where you schedule golf in the morning, maybe plan something you can all do together afterward - picnic, or hike, or something that everyone loves to do, so that they all have that to look forward to when you're back; and if you can, prep for that the night before (pack the cooler, etc.) so that your wife doesn't have to pack up for that while you're gone - those things go a LONG way in my household 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Oh! And on a day where you schedule golf in the morning, maybe plan something you can all do together afterward - picnic, or hike, or something that everyone loves to do, so that they all have that to look forward to when you're back; and if you can, prep for that the night before (pack the cooler, etc.) so that your wife doesn't have to pack up for that while you're gone - those things go a LONG way in my household 🙂

Thanks for your response.  THIS may be gold...going to have to do that!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Here is a perspective from the other end. You can play golf forever. You only have kids for a very short period of time. While I thought I did a good job of balancing career, family and golf, if I could go back I would spend more time with my two boys. I coached my youngest baseball teams from the 3rd grade through senior year in high school so that was special. I went to every baseball and football game but 2 when I had to work and couldn't get out of it. I play golf 5 days a week now and love it but I don't look back thinking I wish I could have played more golf. They are in their 30's now and when I look back I wish I could have just spent a little more time with them. 

Wise man - out of curiosity, were you passionate about golf when the kids were smaller, or did that grow as you they did?  I'm positive I'll have more time for golf, especially as they kids age (and especially if the youngest wants to play), but there's also something to be said for the gains of playing now (both mental and physical) - I'm a way better partner/dad when I've walked outside for a few hours and taken out my frustrations on the ball than when I haven't for a few weeks.  Finding that balance is so critical.  I'm personally REALLY looking forward to coaching/going to games, as that's one of my favorite memories of my Dad being there for me.  

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Wise man - out of curiosity, were you passionate about golf when the kids were smaller, or did that grow as you they did?  I'm positive I'll have more time for golf, especially as they kids age (and especially if the youngest wants to play), but there's also something to be said for the gains of playing now (both mental and physical) - I'm a way better partner/dad when I've walked outside for a few hours and taken out my frustrations on the ball than when I haven't for a few weeks.  Finding that balance is so critical.  I'm personally REALLY looking forward to coaching/going to games, as that's one of my favorite memories of my Dad being there for me.  

... Passionate about the game before they were born. And I hear ya, golf was an essential part of my mental and physical health too so I played/practiced as often as I could. I think I dreamed of playing 5 days a week back then and wished I could have played more. But again, looking back there is a sense of wonder kids provide and it is the little things like a few more trips to the zoo or just watching their unbridled joy at the playground and giving every second my full attention without my career or golf on my mind. Again, I have no real regrets and did a pretty good job of balance in my life but kids are just the most special thing in life, something I think most of us "know" but just don't appreciate as much as we could when we have them, because LIFE has so many demands. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Here is a perspective from the other end. You can play golf forever. You only have kids for a very short period of time. While I thought I did a good job of balancing career, family and golf, if I could go back I would spend more time with my two boys. I coached my youngest baseball teams from the 3rd grade through senior year in high school so that was special. I went to every baseball and football game but 2 when I had to work and couldn't get out of it. I play golf 5 days a week now and love it but I don't look back thinking I wish I could have played more golf. They are in their 30's now and when I look back I wish I could have just spent a little more time with them. 

This is great advice and a great reminder; thank you.  

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

It's like we're the same person, only I misplaced my third kid.  🙂 (Two is plenty, as attested by the Snip'd thread, lol)

I'm lucky in that my schedule is Sunday-Thursday, with Fridays being my "me" day that I also fulfill all the shopping/errands that we need done around the house.  But that typically means I have time (at the very least) for a bucket and some putting practice.  

At this point, Saturdays are our family day - so that's sports practice (which hasn't started in earnest yet - kids are 7 (not very "sporty") and 3 (all he wants is to go golfing with me, so I may be lucky later on), which means if there's ANY golfing event on the schedule, I'm usually a no-show.  Which is fine, because I still have Fridays, but it does make it hard to see my "golf buddies" on a Sat/Sun without making my wife feel like she's a single parent - something I'm VERY aware is a trigger for her, as she was the only child of a single parent.

For us, communication is the key.  I try to tell her about the things I'm working on and where (if) I'm playing on Friday, and then make an extra effort to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks as far as things that need my attention around the house.  I've taken a few Sundays off to do "boys golf" stuff with my buddies, but those are very few and far between (because I try to keep my vacation days for family stuff, too), but as of yet have not taken a Saturday to do that.   She's said a few times, "you could totally do a Saturday morning - just as long as it's not EVERY Saturday morning," and I know she means it, but I also know that if I can get my "golf-fix" on Friday, no real need to make her feel less-than.

I feel your pain - it's SO hard to love something the way we love golf without having the people we love feel like it could possibly replace them - even if they know deep-down that's just not an option. 

I'd just reiterate that talking about it as much as you (and she) can is probably the start of the cure.  Let her know exactly what it does for you - and then see if scheduling one Saturday or one Sunday morning a month (it's a start) for you to get out early would be possible.  With the move to earlier mornings, there are times (back when we were living in NY) that I could get out pre-dawn, tee off first/second tee-time of the day, and be back before 10am - she would always laugh and say "we just woke up!" (with young kids that's never true, but I appreciated the effort 😉 ).

I've also tried, and you may have more success in this than I have so far, given my kids' ages, inviting my wife along - she's yet to take me up on that, but mostly because she works M-F, so our only family day is Saturday, and she's not sure she wants to spend a chunk of that on the golf course, lol - I can't say I blame her, considering we don't have any family nearby to watch the kids, so it'd end up us chasing our kids around a par-3 9-hole course for 2 hours while they yell 😉

Thanks for taking the time to post this - I think this is something a lot of Dads struggle with (I know for sure I do), so having a space to vent (even if that's all it is) is super valuable.  

Smart man right here!

I know my wife doesn't love that I do a lot of planning for trips that involve golf. When it comes to vacations I don't do a ton of planning.....but she's so much better than it at me is what I say!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

So, Hayes, I'll jump in here with my two wheat pennies to share with the group, which is different from some of the other pieces of advice because my wife and I are still young in our marriage and don't have some of the issues with kids that you and yours have right now. From my read of the situation here, the most significant issue isn't allowing time; it appears to be the misalignment of goals and measures to take those goals.

As a 7 handicap, you're already better than around 80% of golfers in the USA, and I think it's great to continue to have something to aspire to. After all, what is golf is not a quest to get better? However, there comes a time when we all need a readjustment in the face of reality and that maybe specific dreams and certain goals aren't the be all end all of things. I understand now that I likely will continue to play 1-2 rounds a week, likely won't have time to practice as much as I did in my youth, and will continue not to see rapid gains and improvements like I would if I had those opportunities, and as kids and other obligations enter the picture, it becomes more difficult to maintain. I've made my peace with that for the most part. I find enjoyment in being with my wife, us doing things together, and trying new things. I do have other hobbies, some just for me, and others we do as a couple and I'm fortunate that my wife allows me to do them to my heart's content and I allow her her time to her things. There is no secret sauce, there is no major cure, it's a give and a take but the paths need to be somewhat aligned if at all possible. 

I think if you guys sit down and are willing to discuss these issues it'll do a long way, either personally or as @Golfspy_Lukes mentioned, perhaps with the help of a professional. There's nothing wrong with it but the fact that there's these issues it's always better the talk it out and communicate your concerns and problems than let them fester under the surface.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I feel pretty lucky in the sense that my wife likes to go golfing with me on occasion. She does not take it seriously and doesn't keep score when we play, but I don't mind that at all. Our 5 year old also loves golf right now, so getting to take him out on the course is a big positive for me getting extra time in as well. My wife went as far as to surprise me with a membership to our local club for this year since we bought a house on the course. A large part in her buying the membership, which she told me and didn't upset me at all, was that she knows how much our oldest likes playing and it made more sense to have a full membership for me because he can play for free with me. She told me that if he didn't love golf, she probably wouldn't have done it, which again I totally understood. I'm a high handicapper and definitely want to improve, but I would be happy getting to the mid teens and staying there, as I know I realistically cannot, and don't want, to dedicate the amount of time it would take to get to a near scratch. Our youngest, who just turned 3 in December, is also showing interest in golf, largely due to big brother loving it. So I have a feeling that as the boys continue to get older, it'll be something that we all get to do together as a family. To this point, golf for me was sporadic at best, and I was happy to play maybe 10-15 rounds, 9 or 18 holes, every summer. Similar to what others have posted, I am realizing just how fast time is flying by with my kids. We already have so much going on that I want to make sure I prioritize as much time with them as I can while still getting to golf. If that means really only golfing with my 5 year old all summer, where my focus isn't laser sharp, so be it. 

I also just realized re-reading this that I just rambled on about my situation and didn't offer up any real help, lol. Communication is the biggest thing that makes it work for my wife and I. And not just with golf, but anything that I would like to do or plan to do myself, I ALWAYS put myself into her perspective. How would I feel if she was always wanting to be gone doing something without me and the kids? Even if I KNEW that she wasn't putting something before our relationship, could I see how it would feel that way at times? And the answer is usually yes. I have two main hobbies in archery and golf, both of which I have leagues I am involved in, which take me out of the house on two evenings a week sometimes. The compromise was that if I wanted to join a golf league, I would only attend the archery league every other week, at most, and shoot at our house so that I can be with her and our boys. I also make sure that she gets time to get together with her girlfriends weekly, which she typically does for dinner nights on Thursdays. I also never say no when she asks if I mind if she does something with a friend that is kind of spur of the moment, because she just does not get a lot of time to do things like that (the reason I never say no is because she never cancels plans with us to drop everything and go do something with friends. I'm pretty certain my wife is an actual saint). Long story short, and I'll repeat it again, I feel very lucky to have the relationship that I have with my wife, but we definitely had to work on it and there were bumps along the way to get where we are now. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

3 hours ago, chisag said:

I will second this one, I took two complete breaks from golf that combined more than 5 years before I got back into it full bore as my kids have gotten older. They are now 20 and 17 and we just spent 10 days in Ireland as a family and traveled around the country based on the golf courses I wanted to play. It was great for everyone but no way would it have happened in their younger years.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I'm probably going to take some grief from some of you...fire away...but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or "best practices" with regards to balancing your duties as a spouse and father with your desire to improve at golf?

I'm a halfway decent golfer, but I do aspire to continually improve and end up as a plus handicap, and eventually compete in mid-am and senior-am competitions.  However, family comes first of course, and with 3 little kids (9,7, and 5) and the oldest one being highly athletic, many weeknights and weekends are dominated with practices and tournaments.  When I do get a break in this routine, I want to get on the course, but lately SWMBO has taken to see that as golf being more of a priority for me than her!  I can see her perspective, but on the flip side of that, a guy needs a hobby and an outlet, and the Type A personality that I am, I kind of need a mountain to climb if you know what I mean.

I can honestly say I have no other hobbies or vices. However, absent the debut of a 27-hour day, I'm having a hard time keeping the golf dream alive.  I am making VERY concerted efforts to take care of myself so that I'm still physically capable of high level play later in life, but I feel like that will prove pointless if I'm not able to make some skill gains now.  I've got a putting green in the basement and plenty of "dry swing" drills to keep me busy as well, but at some point you have to play to learn to score, no?

Apologies if this is just a massive whine of a thread, and perhaps it's not worthy of it's own thread, at all, but I can't be alone in struggling with this dilemma.  

The issue arises when you pigeon hole yourself into playing 18 or going to the range/practice area for a few hours!  Assuming that you have or have the ability to have a membership somewhere,  you can go and practice after the kids go to bed.  You can also take your kids and wife out on the front 9 after the last tee time to play a few holes.  During you can work on any aspect of your game other than driver. Hit wedges chip and put, so on as long as you are not going past your family and waiting.  Find something to do as you are going towards the green.

On 3/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

And I should add, my wife is a rockstar...as much as we've moved being on Active Duty for 22 years, she's had to be.  This is just one of those things of trying to balance responsibilities with personal aspirations I guess.

First off, thank you AND your wife for your service. As a senior officer at the War College, I know you realize that future assignments will only become more difficult on your time. That's the job that you appear to have signed up for. Enjoy the time now for sure with the family.  OK, that being said I know you must maintain a fairly strenuous daily PT schedule before or after classes. While doing your five mile jaunts, try to run around a golf course, hole by hole and in your mind ID areas where you would and would not want to hit into, based on where the flag is sitting today. I'm not talking about the obvious water hazard, but the actual layout. I know you only have a few seconds at each hole but that strategizing may help on your mental shot application workout.  Don't forget about your gym workouts on specific golf aspects that might prove beneficial. The backyard net is a great idea, takes minute to set up and in between flipping burgers you can knock out 3 or 4 shots. Easy to set up in a garage. You might not be able to do full shots, but chipping is always a possibility. Best of luck sir.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Been there, done that, and I'm sorry I have to tell you that there's no easy answer and that unless you're an incredible natural athlete, you're just not going to be a scratch golfer when you have three young kids.  

My best advice and what worked for me:

- embrace 9 hole rounds and squeeze one in when you can

- hitting balls into a net at home or doing some chipping in the backyard saves a lot of time over going to the driving range

- get your kids (and maybe your wife) into golf

- snag that early tee time on the weekend.  I was in a group that was first off the tee every Sunday and I was usually back home by 11:30 AM and nobody missed me too much

- when you get a chance to golf, make sure you give your wife a chance to go shopping or go out with her friends

Now one of my kids has moved out of town and the other is off at college, and last year I played more golf than ever.  Now if I could just do something about this darn job that requires me to work 40 hours a week!

Driver: Tour Edge E722

Fairway Woods: Callaway Epic Flash

Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Sub 70

Putter: Sik Flo

On 3/28/2023 at 3:07 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Having raised three children I know exactly what you are talking about. When my kids were young, I encouraged my wife to continue one of her hobbies. That would be my time to dedicate to the kids100% and give her a break. My wife was a bowler and even had a 200 average and even had a 300 game. She bowled in a league once a week plus some tournaments.  Giving her, her time, gave me a "my time" opportunity to pursue my hobby. I scheduled my rounds for the first tee time every Saturday when I lived in CT and then every Sunday when I moved to TN and now NC. Why Sunday? Because every Saturday is filled with sports that the kids were involved in. I still go to my daughter's track meets in college wherever it is, every Saturday.  At the golf course my nick name was the "dew sweeper" or "The Trail Blazer". I could play 18 and be home by 10:30 /11:00. Everyone was still just getting up and going. It became a habit even to this day. First one off Sunday morning and then back home. Once home it was "ok what do we want to do today". My kids are no longer kids, 19 ,21 and 34. Spend your time with them and get them involved when they are old enough. Time goes by too fast. Two are still at home but my pattern has not changed. I don't mind playing by myself. Actually, enjoy the peace and quiet taking in the nature first thing in the morning. 

Another thing that has helped me get to a lower handicap is building my own practice areas. CT house I put up a net in the yard and built a synthetic golf green for putting and chipping. The family could also partake. I would put up an obstacle course on the green to get the little ones to participate. They were two and three at the time. I had wooden animal cut outs that you could putt through. Someone gave the kids a cheap putting game and I used the parts. In TN where my kids grew up for the most part, I put in another synthetic golf green with a 100-yard tee box and a simulator in the garage. We would all go out and hit balls down to the green. The simulator also doubled as a movie theater. Fast forward to December 2022, now in NC I put my simulator back up and am now trying my hand at a real grass golf green. The youngest is off at college and my wife asks all the time aren't you going golfing it's nice out. 

Give your wife her space and she will give you yours. With all the stuff I did to be able to golf at home it really helped my game even though I was limited to actual play once or twice a week if I was lucky. Now working from home, I can start up the Sim and at lunchtime I can play nine. Eventually when the grass grows in, I'll go outside and chip and putt on real a real green.  I'm not retired so it is usually once a week I get to play 18 but can practice every day. I'm always doing something to help my game. I am now taking an old snow saucer from when the kids were little and adding a platform with a cup recessed and will have it floating in the pool. Nothing like an island green in the yard. 🤣

The "play early" idea is the answer. I have two kids (2.5 and 1) and will be able to get out at 5:30-45 am every 2-3 weeks, home by 10 am, just in time for morning snack. My wife will either get the other morning/evening to herself that weekend or the next weekend. My co-worker does this nearly every weekend in the summer with kids 7 and 5, his wife will run on the other morning. I'll also take my oldest to the range and we alternate 5 balls each until the bucket is done.

Getting your kids involved in golf can add to your time on course/range/practice, especially when they're old enough to practice/play without your full attention. This can really help during the week so you can chip and putt while they're putting. You could also ask for one night a week to go to the range/short game after dinner, if you're decently close to a course/range. Putting the kids to sleep may not be as difficult as feeding everyone, so helping with the heavier lifts might free your time up.

Putting matt in basement or office, hitting net and matt out back, chipping targets all add to the at home practice times. 

Talk to wife about balance and ensure she's getting to do what she wants, whether that alone time for her interests or family time or time with only 1 kid. As long as you're open in your communication and allow for changes if things aren't going well or if someone's sick then you should have time to play/practice.

WITB: Driver Ping 410 LST 9 deg; 3W Ping 410 15 deg, Titleist 818 H2 3H 21 deg, Taylormade TP MB (3-PW), Cleveland RTG 54 and 60 deg, Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball, Pro-VI X or Srixon Z-Star XV

Add me to the get the early rounds in. I love them anyway but if I can get the first tee time on a weekend and I know I will be done in 3.5 hours makes it a heck of alot easier. During the week too give me 9 hole early rounds before work every day.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Add me to the get the early rounds in. I love them anyway but if I can get the first tee time on a weekend and I know I will be done in 3.5 hours makes it a heck of alot easier. During the week too give me 9 hole early rounds before work every day.

That is what it looks like for me this summer, always been the first one out on the weekend day I play, but now with a membership I will be doing at least one morning 9 before work too. For me just the best way to fit it in.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 3/28/2023 at 1:36 PM, chisag said:

What he said. I took a pretty long break from golf until about 8 years ago. Part of it was some crappy stuff going on in life, the rest of it had to do with young, active kids. For me, the things I wanted to do had to take a back seat, but I didn't really miss it.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

There are guys with way more experience than I in this department but I’m dealing with something similar this season as I just had my first child in January. I was struggling with how I was going to continue playing while still being around for the milestones and to help my wife. I got a really good membership rate at the course 5 minutes from the house. Similar to everyone else the early tee times before or after that morning feed will be huge so I can still help with the baby and then get a few holes In before work. 

As many have said, having individual hobbies is important (and I agree) but compromising and communicating is a big part of that too. Making sure you can involve the other person if it feels like it’s taking up to much “together time” is a good compromise. My wife was never a golfer and played once a year with me in her own family tournament. But, I’ve gotten her more into the sport (thank you Full Swing!) and now she enjoys watching the tournaments on the weekends when we relax and is excited to get out and walk the course with me while I play and she can bring the baby and we are able to make it a family activity. And if she needs a break from the baby she’s open to coming along and riding in the cart and reading a book. 

Either way I think communication is the biggest asset in any relationship. Expressing what golf means to you might help explain why so much time gets dedicated to it. Less golf is better than no golf!

All of that being said, I’ll always be willing to put my family before the game because I know it will always be there when I come back and we all know time is finite resource and we can’t get more time back with our families. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Family always comes first, and the wife is priority #1. Good news - she wants to learn golf and I can’t wait for her to join me on the course soon!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Got to finally put the new C-130 action, got to get9 in, shot a 38, and got the wife to join me!  It was a good day.

7A50C776-6656-4499-A551-8BEC3DD9EF61.jpeg.e0d554d528870f5ef0998f8fc237f247.jpeg

Been following this and wanted to chime in. I have three boys, 7, 5 and 3. The youngest is still napping, so it's an opportunity for me to sneak out on a Sunday afternoon for 9 holes. The oldest usually will want to come with me (if I'm riding), so that leaves the wife with only one awake child while I play, which is a tremendous improvement over dumping all three kids on her while I go tee it up with my friends.

In any case, my point is that you need to get creative depending on what your situation is in order to show that you're trying to do what you can to lower the burden of your hobby on your spouse. For me, it's 9 holes rounds and finding opportunities when some of the children will be otherwise occupied. This year, I'm planning to also take half-days off work to play 18 holes during the work day. Early mornings are not an option for me. Everyone will have their own unique circumstances and opportunities.

At the end of the day, I think that golf is like something I read about working out and fitness when you have young children. You just have to accept that these will not be the prime working out/fitness/golf/whatever years of your life. Your kids are only young once. They require lots of work. They are worth it. It's OK if you can't be in the gym or on the course (or the movie theater, sporting events, nightclubs, etc.) as much as you'd like. But you can find balance through compromise.

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

I have been waiting to chime in here. 

Most know that I have a little boy who is coming up on 15 months old and a new born due in June so this thread has been close to home. 

My wife knows how much golf means to me and much like you @Getoffmylawn it is my one hobby. I work, have family time (including the dogs) and golf. I do still curl as it is part of my job in a sense, but that is once every 2 or 3 weeks at most. 

We had discussion about membership, where to play, how many times I would need to play for it to be worth while etc and thankfully a few times they have actually come with me for the walk. The best thing for me was we talked about it and I expressed my desire and support her with the things she wants to do as well. It lead to a great discussion and back and forth at what was feasible and in truth it was please golf as much as you can in the next few months before the second baby comes because after that we will need to be more hands at home. Completely understandable as we live thousands of miles away from any family so it is on just us to look after the kids. We don't have the luxury that some have of being close to grandparents to have them spend time with them etc. It sucks at times, but also allows us to see them grow up a bit more. 

Anyway I can only say is have that open conversation of what you want to achieve and how you hope to achieve it. Maybe it means you take on another day or something with your wife, but I know you are an amazing father and husband and will surely find some way to work things out!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

16 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Maybe it means you take on another day or something with your wife, but I know you are an amazing father and husband and will surely find some way to work things out!

Appreciate that Jamie.  Definitely job, and priority, number one!

I think my main frustration is born from my own competitive nature…I want to improve, and I hate the feeling of being stuck in neutral from a skill standpoint.  So, part of my question or concern probably needs to be more about how to develop and ingrain skills away from the course.

That 9-hole round my wife and I played together was really enjoyable too.  Certainly a meeting of the minds going on between us about golf as a whole.  We’re planning a late June trip to California, and she surprised me with a tee time reservation at Spyglass!

Regardless, I’ve enjoyed and appreciated the insights and perspective of everyone.  Many thanks spies!

Don’t give him too much credit Jamie! Gonna boost his ego!

I had another thought. Not sure if anyone else does this but for golf I pick my clothes out the night before especially if I have an early morning round. Well I just did that and I have my azalea polo ready to go for the morning. 

with that my wife always busts my balls about how it’s the only time I care how I’m dressed 😂 she’s not wrong. Healthy banter like that is good and she knows how important the gsme is to me. Needless to say I’m excited to play a round tomorrow

Check out my reviews:

WITB: