Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Tinkerer looking for advice

jbsap

To say that I like to tinker with my clubs is probably an understatement.  Looking for some advice from anyone who may have had some experience with some area of my current situation.  

Currently am fit into the new p7MC's with DG 105 X100.  First off, I love the look and feel.  I hit them better in fitting than the 770's.  In the past I saw my handicap flirt with single digits, but over the last two years I have watched it skyrocket back to upwards of 17.  Most of that I chalk up to not being able to play nearly as often with a young child at home and work being busier than ever.  Iron play has never really been a weakness for me, although when it does go sideways it goes in a hurry.  A majority of my strokes lost are from OB tee shots and then needing miracles to recover.  My best set of irons I ever had was a combo set of 790's (4,5) and 760's (6-p) with DG105 x100's.  Only got rid of them because my OCD says I can't play a combo set.

Now the issue, that 4 iron in the MC can be pretty brutal at times.  Any suggestions on some smaller sized heads that still have some decent forgiveness in the long irons?  Ive had Mizuno Pro 223's, really liked them but didn't get along with the Modus 115X.  Scrapped them instead of reshafting them.  I've also played around with some ZX7's a year or two ago and liked them, but KBS Tour V wasn't good for me either so again, scrapped.  Just curious to see what people have to say.  

For reference, Driver SS is around 115 gamer swing.  Relatively steep AoA with irons, can get pretty spinny.

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 (D7)
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X(D5)
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5(D5)
4-5 =Titleist T100 - Modus 120X - 2 Deg. Flat (D6)
6-P =Titleist 620CB - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat, 1 Deg. Strong (D6)
50/54 =Callaway Jaws Raw - Modus 120X 2 Deg. Flat (D6, D7)
58= Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat (D7)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Ghost (2024) 
Ball - Titleist ProV1X Left Dash
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy

I watched a utube video with Nick Faldo hitting the mizuno 919 range of irons and this video is 4 years old but he still has an unbelievable swing, the best iron was 919 Hot metal so I’m searching for a half set. Check them out you might like them too, good luck 🤞 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I guess my question would be what is small?

Here are a list of irons that would (and are) on my list in this similar ish category. 

Ping i230
Sub70 659 TC (Tour Cavity) and also my current gamer
Cobra King Tour

Mizuno did just come out recently with the JPX 923 Forged

I think there are almost too many different options to count. Any chance there are demo days coming that you can go and hit some clubs to get a better idea?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If you have heads you like but dont like the shaft in them then either reshaft or order with your shaft of choice 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Replaced my 4 iron with a 5 hybrid and my 3 iron with a 7 wood.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

On 4/3/2023 at 10:28 AM, jbsap said:

To say that I like to tinker with my clubs is probably an understatement.  Looking for some advice from anyone who may have had some experience with some area of my current situation.  

Currently am fit into the new p7MC's with DG 105 X100.  First off, I love the look and feel.  I hit them better in fitting than the 770's.  In the past I saw my handicap flirt with single digits, but over the last two years I have watched it skyrocket back to upwards of 17.  Most of that I chalk up to not being able to play nearly as often with a young child at home and work being busier than ever.  Iron play has never really been a weakness for me, although when it does go sideways it goes in a hurry.  A majority of my strokes lost are from OB tee shots and then needing miracles to recover.  My best set of irons I ever had was a combo set of 790's (4,5) and 760's (6-p) with DG105 x100's.  Only got rid of them because my OCD says I can't play a combo set.

I'm a bit surprised they fit you into the P7MCs especially if you have a steep AoA.  I love me some thin top line, but as it comes to long irons thicker really gives so much to the forgiveness side. 

If you can't stand looking at a club with some meat behind it, then don't force it either. 

Like mentioned above JPX Forged or HMB, has more forgiveness but only still fairly slim.

The 790 UDI, Srixon ZX Utility, or Callaway X-Forged Utility are all great choices. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver