Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

First Round With MacGregor MT86 OS Irons

GolfSpy Barbajo

Those irons really are sexy.  Glad you like them!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (ACCRA FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

First off, I gotta admit that I REALLY want these irons to work for me. Part of it is being old school and loving the fact MacGregor is coming back and part of it is that they're just so doggone sexy. 

First real round in the books (I did play a season opener at Black Swan in Georgetown, MA with them - but in my book, March rounds at Black Swan don't count). Played in the chill and wind on the Jones course at Pine Hills in Plymouth, MA Saturday and came away kinda thrilled with the performance. They're every bit as good as what I've been gaming - Sub 70 699/699 Pro V2 combo set,  

I didn't use ShotScope much last year - I was trying the H4 and would constantly forget to tag - but was able to work the user-error kinks out of the X5 to get some good stats. Fairly pleased with the strokes gained - particularly compared to previous years' stats. Granted, it's just one round, but approach shots have always been a weakness. The fairway debacle and 100-150 debacle can be traced to two shots -  a shanked 120 yard PW on a downhill/sidehill lie and a skilled 49-degree Edison wedge over the green on a Par 5 - which just goes to show one round's worth of stats can be skewed.  But take those two away and the round would look a little different. Did wind up shooting a 78 with a couple of three-putts and a bogey-bogey finish. 

Subjectively, the feel was tremendous - it's an industry trend to call an iron forged even though the face - the part that actually hits the ball - isn't.  The body is forged, while the face is a 2mm thin maraging steel MS300 face. The head is foam/TPU filled to soften the sound and feel, and the goo does its job. 

I'd say the Sub 70 irons are a tad longer - especially the long irons - but not ridiculously so. I have the same KBS C-Taper Lite shaft on both sets. 

And just for giggles - Wilson Dynapower Carbon was money - hit 12 of 14 fairways. And also played the new Edison wedges -- there's something to these things that I like, I just haven't figured out what it is yet. 

Screenshot 2023-04-10 084036.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-10 083955.jpg

IMG_6610.jpeg

IMG_6614.JPEG

IMG_6616.JPEG

69999496488__FCC8BA84-AA8C-4390-A756-52CEFF0591E6.JPEG

69999494983__690879A8-AC6F-463E-855E-91499FCDC56D.JPEG

Love the looks!  I hope they continue to impress.  I love my MacGregor Tourney VIP irons, but they will need to be refinished one of these days.  Maybe I should try these instead?!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Following this closely just because I can love that you are testing out all these clubs for different reasons. The MacGregors because they look great and are affordable and are the possible (small) resurgence of a respected, classic brand. The edison wedges because I am a fan of anything that tries to move golf club design forward rather than just "Vokey wedges SM version X" that are seeming the same year after year. And finally the Wilson driver because I just would love for Wilson to get back into some semblance of a larger OEM presence (assuming it doesn't damage their product direction). Their irons look great and, again, a classic brand. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Your title says 86 OS but your WITB summary just has them as 86s. Being I didn't see OS in pictures I just wanted to double check that thier the OS model? I have owned 50+ sets of mainly forged irons since 1975 and of those aside from my current gamers Titliest 2021 T200 and yet played C721s the only iron set I have kept are my original set of irons when I started to play =the MacGregor CF 4000s. Can you relate the head size to say the T200s or another iron aside from the 70s being I have never seen them aside from pics? Also can you relate the forgiveness factor to other irons? BTW nice round in tough weather!

Edited by jacksonstorm

1 hour ago, jacksonstorm said:

Your title says 86 OS but your WITB summary just has them as 86s. Being I didn't see OS in pictures I just wanted to double check that thier the OS model? I have owned 50+ sets of mainly forged irons since 1975 and of those aside from my current gamers Titliest 2021 T200 and yet played C721s the only iron set I have kept are my original set of irons when I started to play =the MacGregor CF 4000s. Can you relate the head size to say the T200s or another iron aside from the 70s being I have never seen them aside from pics? Also can you relate the forgiveness factor to other irons? BTW nice round in tough weather!

These are the OS version - I probably just missed the "O" in my WITB 🤣. These are being tested in our Most Wanted Player's Distance category. THe MT86 Pro version is in the Player's iron category.  Size-wise and loft-wise they're consistent with others in the Player's Distance category - Wilson D9 Forged/COBRA Forged Tec/Mizuno 225. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Love the looks!  I hope they continue to impress.  I love my MacGregor Tourney VIP irons, but they will need to be refinished one of these days.  Maybe I should try these instead?!

They're pretty danged sweet Kenny - and they sell heads only if their stock shaft offerings don't work for you. Kind of a smart move on MacGregor's part.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

They're pretty danged sweet Kenny - and they sell heads only if their stock shaft offerings don't work for you. Kind of a smart move on MacGregor's part.  

That's nice!!  I swapped out the DG S300 shafts for the Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos 8 steel shafts and they fit my swing.  I have a set of Bridgestone JGR irons that came with that shaft and fell in love with them.  

The lofts are about a club and a half stronger than my VIPs!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So, first off, thanks so much for the update! 

I'm looking at their website now, and I SUPER appreciate that they have the demo program up and running - that's pretty rad.  I'm kind of shocked by how good the top line is on the OS - I thought for sure they would lean towards VERY chunky, and they just don't.   

As for the comparison to the Sub-70s - I'm assuming your combo is the 699 (reg) in the long irons, and the Pro in the shorter - these seem to be very similarly priced - any hesitation on your part going full bag of OS vs full bag of Sub-70 (either Pro/Reg or blended like you have now)?  I know it's early days still with the MacGregors, but I recently hit a set of P790s and was kind of blown away at the performance - if I could shave a few hundred bucks off the price and get something similarly suited, I'm very interested.  

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

So, first off, thanks so much for the update! 

I'm looking at their website now, and I SUPER appreciate that they have the demo program up and running - that's pretty rad.  I'm kind of shocked by how good the top line is on the OS - I thought for sure they would lean towards VERY chunky, and they just don't.   

As for the comparison to the Sub-70s - I'm assuming your combo is the 699 (reg) in the long irons, and the Pro in the shorter - these seem to be very similarly priced - any hesitation on your part going full bag of OS vs full bag of Sub-70 (either Pro/Reg or blended like you have now)?  I know it's early days still with the MacGregors, but I recently hit a set of P790s and was kind of blown away at the performance - if I could shave a few hundred bucks off the price and get something similarly suited, I'm very interested.  

I'd say they're very similar to the P790s - both in loft and overall performance. The P790 is kind of the gold standard for players distance irons, but the recipe is not all that complicated - my hunch is these would be close enough. As far as going with MacGregor or Sub70 699 - it's a toss-up right now. Played very well over the winter with the Sub 70s and played very well with the MacGregors on Saturday - so I'm not sure there's a wrong decision.  At least until I hit a bad shot and blame the club. 😉

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

First off, I gotta admit that I REALLY want these irons to work for me. Part of it is being old school and loving the fact MacGregor is coming back and part of it is that they're just so doggone sexy. 

First real round in the books (I did play a season opener at Black Swan in Georgetown, MA with them - but in my book, March rounds at Black Swan don't count). Played in the chill and wind on the Jones course at Pine Hills in Plymouth, MA Saturday and came away kinda thrilled with the performance. They're every bit as good as what I've been gaming - Sub 70 699/699 Pro V2 combo set,  

I didn't use ShotScope much last year - I was trying the H4 and would constantly forget to tag - but was able to work the user-error kinks out of the X5 to get some good stats. Fairly pleased with the strokes gained - particularly compared to previous years' stats. Granted, it's just one round, but approach shots have always been a weakness. The fairway debacle and 100-150 debacle can be traced to two shots -  a shanked 120 yard PW on a downhill/sidehill lie and a skilled 49-degree Edison wedge over the green on a Par 5 - which just goes to show one round's worth of stats can be skewed.  But take those two away and the round would look a little different. Did wind up shooting a 78 with a couple of three-putts and a bogey-bogey finish. 

Subjectively, the feel was tremendous - it's an industry trend to call an iron forged even though the face - the part that actually hits the ball - isn't.  The body is forged, while the face is a 2mm thin maraging steel MS300 face. The head is foam/TPU filled to soften the sound and feel, and the goo does its job. 

I'd say the Sub 70 irons are a tad longer - especially the long irons - but not ridiculously so. I have the same KBS C-Taper Lite shaft on both sets. 

And just for giggles - Wilson Dynapower Carbon was money - hit 12 of 14 fairways. And also played the new Edison wedges -- there's something to these things that I like, I just haven't figured out what it is yet. 

IMG_6610.jpeg

IMG_6614.JPEG

IMG_6616.JPEG

oh man Barb... these babies are really calling to me!!! 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I'd say they're very similar to the P790s - both in loft and overall performance. The P790 is kind of the gold standard for players distance irons, but the recipe is not all that complicated - my hunch is these would be close enough. As far as going with MacGregor or Sub70 699 - it's a toss-up right now. Played very well over the winter with the Sub 70s and played very well with the MacGregors on Saturday - so I'm not sure there's a wrong decision.  At least until I hit a bad shot and blame the club. 😉

It's funny, I've avoided the 790's entering my mind as a possibility because they're more money than I can spend right now, but the shaft combo (KBS Tour Lite) with the head - I just couldn't miss.  I was really surprised - I kept putting it down and then coming back to it.  So now the PD category is high up on my list - I'm tempted to demo the MacGregors, the Sub-70s and then bring them both to a store where I can hit the 790 again, just to see what the main differences are.  I noticed that I seem to be very shaft-dependent - I currently play the Modus 105 S, and anything that strays too far away from that weight/flex, I just have a hard time finding good contact - that could definitely be part of what felt so good about the 790s, for sure.  I think the MacGregor's look better than the Sub-70s, but not by much, and the shaft selection at Sub-70 is definitely better (even if a slight upcharge to get a particular shaft).  

So. Many. Decisions 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Oooo man those are sexy. Going to be following this closely. I’ve got my eye on Sub70, Takomo, and the MacGregors as potential iron upgrades for my bag this year. So these updates will surely help out

Driver: King Radspeed
3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 
Hybrid: 19* Taylormade SLDR
5 Wood: King Cobra Offset SS Hyper Steel
4-PW: Nike Covert VrS with Aldila VS Proto shafts
Putter: Wilson Buckingham

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

It's funny, I've avoided the 790's entering my mind as a possibility because they're more money than I can spend right now, but the shaft combo (KBS Tour Lite) with the head - I just couldn't miss.  I was really surprised - I kept putting it down and then coming back to it.  So now the PD category is high up on my list - I'm tempted to demo the MacGregors, the Sub-70s and then bring them both to a store where I can hit the 790 again, just to see what the main differences are.  I noticed that I seem to be very shaft-dependent - I currently play the Modus 105 S, and anything that strays too far away from that weight/flex, I just have a hard time finding good contact - that could definitely be part of what felt so good about the 790s, for sure.  I think the MacGregor's look better than the Sub-70s, but not by much, and the shaft selection at Sub-70 is definitely better (even if a slight upcharge to get a particular shaft).  

So. Many. Decisions 🙂

I'm guessing that's why MacGregor is selling heads only - so you can put whatever shaft you want in them. I have KBS C-Taper Lite in mine -- like you said, when a shaft works, it works no matter what it's in.  Same shaft in the Sub 70 699s. 

And just wait till I get the new Ram irons out on the course. $400 for 7-piece set? Get outta here!  Have hit them on the range and at Golftec using their LM - don't care if they're an open model, they're pretty damn good too. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

37 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

And just wait till I get the new Ram irons out on the course. $400 for 7-piece set? Get outta here!  Have hit them on the range and at Golftec using their LM - don't care if they're an open model, they're pretty damn good too. 

For reasons that will become clear later... I am very much looking forward to your review of the new Ram irons as well!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

For reasons that will become clear later... I am very much looking forward to your review of the new Ram irons as well!!

You have me intrigued (loved the write up on Ram posted earlier) 🤔

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, CFreddie said:

You have me intrigued (loved the write up on Ram posted earlier) 🤔

Thanks - that was a fun one to research and write. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 4/10/2023 at 9:06 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

IMG_6610.jpeg

IMG_6614.JPEG

IMG_6616.JPEG

Wow, those do look great! I’m glad they perform for you too! Is this the beginning of “you just can’t go wrong” when choosing irons as long as you’re fit or do you think we’re already there? Love to see the MacGregor brand back at it!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

8 minutes ago, jbern said:

Wow, those do look great! I’m glad they perform for you too! Is this the beginning of “you just can’t go wrong” when choosing irons as long as you’re fit or do you think we’re already there? Love to see the MacGregor brand back at it!

I think once you get into the right category of iron - SGI/GI/Player's Distance/Player's CB-MB - it's hard to pick a BAD option. It's just a matter of finding the right combination of head and shaft and getting the right level of forgiveness/spin/peak height/descent angle. So where one might be good for you, another option might be very good and another one might be great. 

That's where the fun starts. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I am so excited and want MacGregor to be successful. They look so good, the classic shape and look of the older MacGregors. Excited to see more updates. 

:srixon-small:  ZX5 LS MKII

:Sub70:  Pro Tour 3 wood

:taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 Iron

:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII 4-PW

:callaway-small: Jaw Raw 50w, 56x, 60s

:rife-putters-1: Aruba Tour 

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2-Ball

:srixon-small:  Z Star

:ShotScope: V3 and X5 (been using since V2) and Pro L2

8 hours ago, ohiokip said:

I am so excited and want MacGregor to be successful. They look so good, the classic shape and look of the older MacGregors. Excited to see more updates. 

Here's one for you - played today at Maderas near Carlsbad (in town for COBRA's 50th Anniversary bash) and had maybe the best round of the past 3 or 4 years (35-40 - 75; two lost balls on the back 9). Irons were lights out today - I'm really finding the groove with them and have distance dialed in. Getting better with the long irons - the 6 iron was particularly helpful today. Sound and feel just keep getting better and more addictive. They're making a case for staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.  I'll post some stats late once I have the ShotScope info edited. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

JB, those McGregors look very sweet. Can’t wait for more stuff on them and the Rams.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Those irons are absolutely gorgeous! They remind me of a set my uncle played with when I was a kid. I remember thinking something along the lines of “I’m going to get a set of those when I grow up.”  How delightful that I may still be able to make that dream a reality.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-7i:  :titleist-small: T200  Recoil 110 f4

8i-PW: :titleist-small: T150 Recoil 110 f4

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Some strokes gained data from ShotScope.  I didn't use Shotscope for much of last season for two reasons -- I was trying out ARCCOS (didn't like it - I have a set with the LINK if anyone wants it) and tried tagging with the H4 and didn't like it. 

Anyway, the last three rounds include the MacGregor irons - we peaked on April 12th at Maderas in Poway, CA. Everything worked with the MacGregors that day - very happy with strokes gained on approach shots. In fact, if my putting was just a bit better it could have been a personal best. Wound up with a 3 over - 75 which, if you told me on the first tee that's what I would shoot I'd have gladly taken it...damn that three-putt double bogey on 18!!

Distance report on the irons is interesting. It's only been three rounds but the 5-iron is a problem. I flush it maybe one out of three times, and three rounds worth of stats show the  Average, P-Average and Longest shots are nearly identical to the 6-iron. It's only three rounds, so more info is needed. There's about a 20+ yard gap between the Srixon 3-utility and the MacGregor 5-iron despite a 3.5 degree difference in loft. May need to add another utility to the mix.  

The round on April 13th we can forget about -- golf is hard, and it doesn't give a crap what you did the day before. 

On an unrelated note - I am fairly pleased with the Edison wedges. Short game stats are trending nicely - and some of the approach strokes gained came with either the 49 or 53 degree wedges. Love the forged feel and the Koehler sole is legit.  Very versatile and love the turf interaction. Tossup between those and the Cleveland RTX 6 wedges. Will be trying the Cobra Snakebite wedges soon. Hit the entire Cobra line Friday and mercy, they've done a very, very good job.  It's silly to say, but the KING Tour MB's might be the easiest-to-hit blades I've ever tried. Sooo tempted, but cooler heads prevailed. 

Any questions, gimme a hollah...

Screenshot 2023-04-16 102735.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2023 at 7:49 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Some strokes gained data from ShotScope.  I didn't use Shotscope for much of last season for two reasons -- I was trying out ARCCOS (didn't like it - I have a set with the LINK if anyone wants it) and tried tagging with the H4 and didn't like it. 

Anyway, the last three rounds include the MacGregor irons - we peaked on April 12th at Maderas in Poway, CA. Everything worked with the MacGregors that day - very happy with strokes gained on approach shots. In fact, if my putting was just a bit better it could have been a personal best. Wound up with a 3 over - 75 which, if you told me on the first tee that's what I would shoot I'd have gladly taken it...damn that three-putt double bogey on 18!!

Distance report on the irons is interesting. It's only been three rounds but the 5-iron is a problem. I flush it maybe one out of three times, and three rounds worth of stats show the  Average, P-Average and Longest shots are nearly identical to the 6-iron. It's only three rounds, so more info is needed. There's about a 20+ yard gap between the Srixon 3-utility and the MacGregor 5-iron despite a 3.5 degree difference in loft. May need to add another utility to the mix.  

The round on April 13th we can forget about -- golf is hard, and it doesn't give a crap what you did the day before. 

On an unrelated note - I am fairly pleased with the Edison wedges. Short game stats are trending nicely - and some of the approach strokes gained came with either the 49 or 53 degree wedges. Love the forged feel and the Koehler sole is legit.  Very versatile and love the turf interaction. Tossup between those and the Cleveland RTX 6 wedges. Will be trying the Cobra Snakebite wedges soon. Hit the entire Cobra line Friday and mercy, they've done a very, very good job.  It's silly to say, but the KING Tour MB's might be the easiest-to-hit blades I've ever tried. Sooo tempted, but cooler heads prevailed. 

Any questions, gimme a hollah...

Screenshot 2023-04-16 102735.jpg

Just checking in to see how these guys treated you during May (insert Justin Timberlake meme here), as we're now officially in the summer months - did they officially make the bag?  Going back to the 699's?  

Enquiring minds want to know 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 6/1/2023 at 2:02 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

Just checking in to see how these guys treated you during May (insert Justin Timberlake meme here), as we're now officially in the summer months - did they officially make the bag?  Going back to the 699's?  

Enquiring minds want to know 😉

MacGregors are alternating with a COBRA King Tour/Tour CB combo set - I love 'em both. Macs are longer and more forgiving, COBRAs are smaller, a wee bit more precise - and forgiving enough when life is good.  I love the 699s too - and the Wilson D9 Forged. 

It's not that I have too many irons, it's just that I have so much love to give 😉

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

MacGregors are alternating with a COBRA King Tour/Tour CB combo set - I love 'em both. Macs are longer and more forgiving, COBRAs are smaller, a wee bit more precise - and forgiving enough when life is good.  I love the 699s too - and the Wilson D9 Forged. 

It's not that I have too many irons, it's just that I have so much love to give 😉

Blair O'Neal is not available.  🤣

On 4/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I'm guessing that's why MacGregor is selling heads only - so you can put whatever shaft you want in them. I have KBS C-Taper Lite in mine -- like you said, when a shaft works, it works no matter what it's in.  Same shaft in the Sub 70 699s. 

HMMM on that happy note I am thinking seriously about ordering a set of heads and put a set of Steelfiber shafts like I have in the TMs. I am really stoked on those shafts. One thing I would have to see is the sole design to see if it works for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I grew up with these. The originals were absolutely tiny and had copper colored inserts.  The were the baddest irons around in the 60s.  The new ones look MAHVELOUS.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1