Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

What League(s) are you joining or a part of?

What league(s) are you joining or already a part of? What's your favorite part of your league, or if you haven't joined it yet, what are you looking forward to most? How important is the competition part of a league to you?

I'll start 🙂 I'm planning to join a league that starts May 5th. It's a women only league on a Tuesday night every other week that only plays 3 holes, 2 person scramble style (pairings made by staff). It's $20, which feels a bit steep to me, but it comes with a glass of wine, seltzer, or a beer afterwards. I'm really looking forward to getting to know some other women who play, as right now, my partner and I are pretty much the only women in my life that play golf at all. I also like that it's not an every week event, and they do signups for each one individually, so you aren't pressured to go every single time. For this league, competition isn't super important to me, but I'd love to do a more competitive league someday!

MsWalkrOfSky - 22.1 HDC - Best 18 hole Round - 80 at Rea Park Golf Course - Red Tees - 5,219 yards

Driver:       :PXG:             0211 2021 10.5* - Shaft Diamana s60 Limited - Stiff Flex

Woods:     :callaway-logo-1:        XR 3 Wood - Regular Flex

Acer                  XP Stainless 9 Wood 27*       

Irons:        :cleveland-small:         CG7 Black Pearl Irons 4-PW - A Flex

Wedges:   Kirkland          52*

Kirkland          56*

Kirkland          60*

Putter:      :ping-small:            PAL 5

Balls:        Pro V1 Yellow  

Other:      ShotScope X5 Watch and Sensors     

We have 2 womens only clubs playing on Wednesday. One is traditional (competitive) and one is social.  I join the social group because I need to unwind from my internal competitive nature.  This allows me to just truly enjoy the other ladies company and swing for fun.  It's also set up as a fun scramble so those who are new to golfing don't feel the pressure.  Our Pro puts together different fun formats each week!

B

14 hours ago, BKervin said:

Our Pro puts together different fun formats each week!

Oh that sounds cool! What kind of formats do you do besides just scramble?

MsWalkrOfSky - 22.1 HDC - Best 18 hole Round - 80 at Rea Park Golf Course - Red Tees - 5,219 yards

Driver:       :PXG:             0211 2021 10.5* - Shaft Diamana s60 Limited - Stiff Flex

Kirkland          56*

Kirkland          60*

2 hours ago, MsWalkrOfSky said:

Oh that sounds cool! What kind of formats do you do besides just scramble?

String - you get 6 feet of string and you can use it instead of putts and don't count that as a stroke, cutting it until it is all used up!

Dice - roll one di and the number that comes up is the drive you use. ie. 1 and the first person on score cards drive is used.

Special shiny ball - someone different uses it on each hole. But that ball must be returned at the end of your round.

Mystery Hole - picks the winner based on that hole announced after play.  Or he throws the mystery hole's score out.

Winners each week vary - lowest score, third lowest score, highest score etc 

B

2 hours ago, BKervin said:

String - you get 6 feet of string and you can use it instead of putts and don't count that as a stroke, cutting it until it is all used up!

Dice - roll one di and the number that comes up is the drive you use. ie. 1 and the first person on score cards drive is used.

Special shiny ball - someone different uses it on each hole. But that ball must be returned at the end of your round.

Mystery Hole - picks the winner based on that hole announced after play.  Or he throws the mystery hole's score out.

These all sound really fun! If the league I'm in doesn't have those, I might try to start one that has some fun stuff like that 🙂

Kirkland          56*

Kirkland          60*

6 hours ago, BKervin said:

Forgot best part!!  My bad, winning foursome gets Drink Chips!!  Again why it's fun and called social league.  

You are also pared with different people so everyone gets to play together. It helps avoid those pesky groups that keep to themselves!

B

I play in groups but have never thought of them a leagues.

Tuesday Night Lights - 9 holes (sometimes all par 3's) during warm months, March or April - October. Foursomes, never know who you're going to play with, plus skins (if no one wins $ adds to the next week). $15 to play

Saturday and Sunday group play - loosely formed group of men and women. 12-35+ players. $10 to play and format varies but the constant is if you get a chip-in you receive $1 from everyone playing. 3-5 in a group, everyone is welcome and players have become great friends.

LGA monthly tournaments ($20) and play days ($5). Game changes with each event. We earn points determined by how well we play throughout the year using our handicap net scores. I won player of the year for 2022 and I'm far, far away from being the best player.

If you are not part of a LGA I encourage you to get attached to one a.s.a.p. If your course does not have one, then find another lady or two and be the beginning of a new one. Taking the initiative to get involved is more than just finding other ladies to play golf with. Creates new friendships and social supporters.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

• 4 months later...

Our local course has a WGA but the management isn’t as accommodating as they used to be. I play when I can but usually prefer to play rounds with some of the same women as we try to improve and enjoy friendships. I will play member - guests as long as we can laugh through the competition! 

Texas golfer always looking to execute the next shot. 2 Aces!