Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts √ó

Will Zalatoris

Yeah; that stinks for him.  He's fun to watch when he's on form.  Hope he can come back from this.  Back injuries for golfers are no joke.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Yesterday on Instagram Monte posted about Sam Bennett and players like Will Z. and others who have this type of swing.  It's bad that players are coached to open up that much in the downswing... sad!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqyi3YFOj2S/

Hopefully, when he comes back from surgery, he will have developed a new swing that is more sustainable.  Tiger did; so did Rocco.

‚ÄúWe don‚Äôt stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.‚ÄĚ

That is very sad news.  I hope he can find some relief and get back to playing form... WZ is an incredible talent.  

• Titleist TSR3¬†9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super¬†Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I read some quotes from him earlier this morning that he was already seeing some positive benefits from the procedure, which just goes to show how much pain he must have been in still. Glad he is going to take this year to recover and hopefully return to form next season. Willy Z is one of my favorites to watch. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X & :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Having that surgery myself, some years ago, caused me to completely overhaul not only the swing physically, but my mental approach to the swing. I lost a lot of club head speed, not only due to the fact that my muscles had to be re-conditioned, but also the ever lingering question "will I hurt myself again". Once the back has been compromised surgically, there's no telling how the surrounding muscles and spinal discs will react to an increased load, especially from a tour players swing. I hope he can make a good enough recovery to play at a tour level again, but he will never be the same player as before......... 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

Sad to hear, I was hoping to see him really put it together this year.   I'm glad he's taking the time to do the right thing with his back and get it taken care of before it destroys his career.  This will go a long way to actually achieving some longevity.    I hope he and his team can keep him from rushing back too soon, too quickly -- and when he does from having unrealistic expectations for the first year.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:¬†¬†T7 55¬ļ @55/7¬† -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Looks like Will Z. is out for the rest of the season¬†ūüėĎ. Hope he can return to form next season.¬†¬†

Man this sucks.

Hope the best for him and that he can return with vengeance. He is so talented and still got kinda done hard in his first season. Hope this doesn't effect him too much longer term with the new format as well. 

‚õ≥ūüõĄ¬†as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB)¬†
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 hours ago, ballhawk said:

Having that surgery myself, some years ago, caused me to completely overhaul not only the swing physically, but my mental approach to the swing. I lost a lot of club head speed, not only due to the fact that my muscles had to be re-conditioned, but also the ever lingering question "will I hurt myself again". Once the back has been compromised surgically, there's no telling how the surrounding muscles and spinal discs will react to an increased load, especially from a tour players swing. I hope he can make a good enough recovery to play at a tour level again, but he will never be the same player as before......... 

That last sentence is the absolute truth or at least in my case and I am slowly coming to grips with it. But then again he is young and maybe can recover from it better than an old guy like me. He also has talent and can maybe make swing changes not to reinjure himself and play just fine

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yesterday on Instagram Monte posted about Sam Bennett and players like Will Z. and others who have this type of swing.  It's bad that players are coached to open up that much in the downswing... sad!

Hopefully, when he comes back from surgery, he will have developed a new swing that is more sustainable.  Tiger did; so did Rocco.

Bennett's turn is wicked, like borderline violent.  I'd have to look at Will's again but it sounds like they are similar.  I know many have poo-pooed my comments and reservations about all this swing for Jupiter speed training, but for some people's physical kinematics, this may not be a good fit over the long haul.  Wear n' tear happens, and sometimes subtlety with no issue, then suddenly becomes an issue. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small:¬†Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW¬† ¬†(removed from¬†double secret probation¬†ūüėć)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I saw the same video. It's unreal the amount of side bend some of these guys have going on, and seeing the stills of how compressed their ribcage and lower back look is painful to me as a 50 something. Absolutely no way I'm trying anything like that... I'll settle for my 250-275 and play longer.

Cobra Rad Speed XB,Taylor Made PSI 4 iron, Wishon EQ1-NX 5-GW, Mizuno T22 SW,LW, M-Craft VI putter, OnCOre Elixr Matte Green

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Bennett's turn is wicked, like borderline violent.  I'd have to look at Will's again but it sounds like they are similar.  I know many have poo-pooed my comments and reservations about all this swing for Jupiter speed training, but for some people's physical kinematics, this may not be a good fit over the long haul.  Wear n' tear happens, and sometimes subtlety with no issue, then suddenly becomes an issue. 

Many many moons ago my old man did a course in I guess you would call it now Sports Medicine. I know he briefly was a trainer at North Carolina State University before WW2. When I was learning the game the "reverse C" was all the rage. He cautioned me on it and showed me why it would cause damage. I never did it. As I can recall it all of the reverse c guys except Colin Montgomerie had back problems down the line. I think with Monte it was the fact he had always been bulky and had a strong core and he had a smooth swing never overloading himself and shock loading the back. The only reason I have back problems for those who are new here is because I had a traumatic injury at work in 2020. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As someone with chronic back issues, I feel for the kid. Unfortunately, one back surgery usually leads to another & another. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

14 hours ago, Headhammer said:

As someone with chronic back issues, I feel for the kid. Unfortunately, one back surgery usually leads to another & another. 

My regular Doc is a golf buddy of mine and I trust him with my life. When I had my accident all my paperwork was referred to him. Now my Neurologist told me later on about the nerves in the back. He told me that after 45 years of practicing medicine that he did not like to hack around in the back (his words not mine) and that there was no definite positive reason to do surgery on me that the nerve damage was permanent and basically they could make it worse. My regular Doc who is a Cardiologist by specialty told me the same thing. Come to find out they know each other. I have good days and bad days and I take it in stride and deal with however the cards are dealt each day. Lately it has been good most of the time. The only meds I use are Tylenol and CBD and that is only when I need them. Last weekend it was rainy cold and raw here and I did stiffen up some so I did medicate some last weekend. Monday when the weather cleared my back cleared also and have played golf so far everyday this week. Something that helped me immensely was going to graphite in my irons

G

On 4/10/2023 at 5:31 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Here's the YT version for those who don't have an IG account.¬† I'm so glad Monte didn't suggest this move in his on-line analysis of my swing¬†ūüėĪ.¬†This is a great analysis/discussion.¬† Interesting points about "the moves" from the days of Nicklaus, Weiskopf, and Tiger, and that those too introduced excessive wear n' tear.¬† Do we have any of our younger spies using this swing model?¬†¬†

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small:¬†Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW¬† ¬†(removed from¬†double secret probation¬†ūüėć)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

back injuries are scary. His career could be over. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Years ago, Golf Digest published a swing sequence with commentary by Harvey Penick.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the player but Penick predicted the player would have back problems as a result of keeping his left heel on the ground during the back swing.  He was right.  In fact the player was already having problems.  Another famous victim of back problems was Cary Middlecoff.  Find some swings of his online and you'll see a lot of similarities to Bennett through impact.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

It’s obvious what really caused his injury…4BC445B3-72A7-4625-8F59-29118123621B.gif.29653b6336e4e4588f0aaeec82537b23.gif

ūü§£ūü§£

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

Kid is fun to watch. Hell of a player, but I will say when he gets on the green I'm nervous for him.

Driver- TM Sim 2- Speeder 757 X

3W- Ping G430 LST- Fujikura Ventus TR Black 8 X

Hybrid- TM M1- Tensei Orange X

Irons- Srixon ZX7 MK II (4-PW)- TT DG X100

Wedges- Cleveland RTX-4 (58, 54, 50)- KBS Wedge

Putter- TM Spider GT

On 4/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, Quigleyd said:

back injuries are scary. His career could be over. 

There was a segment on the GC the other day dealing with back injuries. On that subject I always listen intensely. They are making big strides in like regeneration surgery. It was very intriguing how they have found out how to get blood and more oxygen to regenerate damaged cells etc. Maybe these new techniques can help Will immensely. Now if they can find a way to regen him a putting stroke

G

I feel for the guy!  Back issues are tough to live with and even tougher to overcome without major changes to one's swing.  

In today's never relenting quest for distance, I have to believe that back and knee issues will become more prevalent in today's younger golf professionals.  No matter how much they work out, the aggressive golf swings of today's players will ultimately take its toll on their bodies.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4