TESTERS WANTED! ×

OnCore VERO X1 Golf Ball - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Got a little (okay very little) more scientific with the testing this week.

I put the VeroX1 up against four other competitors in a 5-foot putt challenge using my PuttOUT training matt.

IMG_1251.jpg.38f66aa0ffb24725a59e52b23754bc99.jpg

The Challengers: VeroX1, Titleist ProV1, Titleist AVX, and Vice Pro

In random sequence I rolled each ball 5 times from 5 feet until I completed 25 putts with each ball. The PuttOUT training system says a ball that rolls up the ramp and back towards you is a made putt, one that rests in the ramp hole is perfect, if it doesn't roll up and back it's a miss. So those were the categories I used for testing - Made, Missed and Perfect Putts. I laid the matt out on my paver patio to simulate the inconsistency of an actual green. 

(For as bad as it is, this is actually the very first video I ever uploaded to YouTube. I'll get better) And hey, it's lab testing. It's hardly exciting work 😐

Anyway, here's the test results:

Ball                         Made    Perfect Putt    Missed    Make%

OnCore VeroX1        24                0                1             96

Titleist ProV1            23                0                2             92

Titleist AVX               25                2                0            100

Vice Pro                    24                0                1             96

I was a bit surprised at my overall make percentage on this test. So, either I have evolved into a VERY good putter (96% from 5 feet 😲) or it's possible that, like many others, repeated use of my PuttOUT matt created a groove in the matt that helps 'make' more putts. 

More subjective input compared to lab test is what I've noticed with the X1 on the course is that it seems to hold it's line better once it gets rolling. Those small little wobbles from imperfections in the green don't seem to knock it line as much, and it seems like it holds its momentum a bit better as well. With my putting style, I tend to leave most of my misses short of the hole. The X1 has been tending to roll past the hole by a foot or two. Consequently I've had a number of missed putts roll over the edge of the hole. Feel off the putter is good. It's a bit firmer than the AVX or ProV1 but not quite as clicky as the Vice Pro. I actually really like the sound and feel of the X1 with the putter. Now, if I can just train myself to take about 1/2 a ball less break I might really have something.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Second test for this week - Analyzing Spin Effects with Trackman

For this test I used two testers - Tester 1 is a weekend hack 14 handicap with a driver speed of 95mph, Tester 2 is a 4 handicap teaching pro with a driver swing speed of 106mph. 

IMG_1257.jpg.9a4a2eb1775675f2fe55245c70b2efd6.jpg  IMG_1255.jpg.c3c36b26a2ec54e6e3cec0b9278a9612.jpg

The initial plan was to gather data on 5 different balls. Then we realized how many swings that would be, and we narrowed it down to three. The OnCore VeroX1, Titleist ProV1 (Tester 2 gamer), and TaylorMade Tour Response. We discussed this, and chose the TM to represent the difference in a softer 3-piece ball that might be recommended for players like Tester 1 with a higher handicap and lower swing speed.

Each tester hit a sample of 6 to 8 shots with each ball using a mid wedge, 7-iron, and driver. The data captured was average total spin with variance, and left right deviation with variance. The idea was to analyze OnCore's claim that the increased perimeter weighting of their mantle layer stabilizes spin and results in a straighter ball flight. It is worth noting since I've spent a lot of time in this particular TrackMan bay, that it has a reputation for recording high driver spin numbers. This usually results in TrackMan driver shots winding up a bit shorter, and further off line than what I experience on the course with the same driver and what feels like equivalent swings. Also keep in mind, this wound up being a lot of swings and with drivers hit last both testers noted fatigue taking a toll on swings by then.

TrackmanTest.jpg.d4aee191431d5331763bc13fbe128f74.jpg

Diving into the numbers. Wedge performance was pretty consistent for both testers, though the OnCore had the highest L/R variance for both with that club. For Tester 1, the OnCore brought the L/R variance down on both iron and driver where Tester 2 saw the best performance from his current gamer the ProV1. With all three clubs, Tester 2/s higher swing speed tended to generate slightly higher spin numbers.  

Some Subjective comments from the testers:

Tester 1 "The OnCore feels a little firmer off the wedge, that seems to provide a little better feedback on the quality of the strike", "The OnCore delivered a more consistent ball flight"

Tester 2 "I just don't like the look of the logo on the OnCore"; "Just don't have the A driver swing, can't get rid of a negative attack angle", "The ProV1 feels the best overall to me" 

What to take away from this test. By the numbers the X1 seemed to perform a little better for the player at the lower end of their recommended swing speed range. The higher swing speed increased spin on all three clubs. Subjectively, the higher swing speed player preferred the feel of his current gamer with the longer clubs, but did note the slightly firmer feel with the wedge. 

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Great analysis @GregB135!  Interesting numbers and agree the ProV1 does have a softer feel.  Great job!

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Played 18 holes this past Friday (not my home course).  Course had sanded all greens, after aerating 2 weeks ago. Needless to say greens were a bit rough, but were cut, not real short.  The sand on the greens did impact the ball, scuffing it up a bit more. Managed to play with one Vero X1 ball for round.  In addition to sanded greens, it was a windy day. 

IMG_0560.jpg.6b5ab2bcd1e0061cf38ecd07a30369ea.jpg

I really did not see any affect on the ball off the driver into the round and as it became more worn.  
Played a different iron set, Forged Precept Tour Premium irons.  Lofts were less than previous set of Maverick Pro's and boy did it impact approach shots, sometimes 2 club difference, which wasn't balls fault. 

The wear on the ball was noticeable after the round.  Sanded greens did scuff ball up, but I didn't feel it impacted the performance.  

IMG_0559.jpg.5ff8849b18c1aa34cd726f608545d32b.jpg

I was able to be more aggressive chipping, since greens were slow.  Ball did spin, but just about any ball would have spun under the condition of greens LOL!  Shot 37/36, so was not displeased with round, and once again impressed with the balls performance and feel, especially with hitting the new Callaway Paradym X Drive!! 

Edited by tdroma98

I played 9 holes today. It was pretty windy (16mph out of the south, but gusting). I hit the ball pretty well off the tee and had chances to see how the ball held the green. I came away pretty impressed - the ball had a very nice launch angle:

BCE66696-F077-48DA-BA02-249A5D355933.jpeg.dabef7ef9aa5435ac8fbd1fed212954d.jpeg

I had the ball a bit too far back in my stance, so this ball is off line to the right, but it went straight and it went far. 

The next hole, I crushed the drive 320 yards (!!!), leaving a 60 yard approach. I hit a baby pitch with my gap wedge, and the ball checked after one bounce. These greens were very firm, despite us getting over an inch of rain yesterday. I did not find a ball mark on a single green.

Putting was also really good. The ball came off softly with a nice clicking sound. Unfortunately, I had lots of opportunities for lengthy lag putts and I did not bury a single one. But, I was able to stop the ball within two feet each time. The ball rolls really nice.

I like the sound the ball makes off the club:

This was my 3 wood, which ended up going 290 yards. The wind was blowing left to right, which pushed the ball a bit, but ultimately brought it closer to the green. I think I can safely say that the perimeter weighting does not eliminate the effect of wind on the ball. I cannot (yet) say if the wind affects the ball less than it does others.

Finally, I ended up in one bunker (green side) today. The sand was wet (again, it rained over an inch yesterday). I played it like I was chipping out of the grass, and the ball stopped about 6 feet from the hole. 😄

I am hoping that I will be able to play a round with two balls head to head to get a better point of comparison, but I like what I see so far.

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

@GregB135, I’m really liking what you’re bringing to the test. I’m finding that the X1 rolls really nicely on the greens. I’ve also felt that (when I am not making a mechanical error) I have really good control of the ball flight and stopping power on the greens. I think this jives with your putt-out test.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

@Prodigal Duffer, I agree.  After the first few holes with the X1 I had a lot of confidence, feeling that I knew exactly what the ball would do in terms of ball flight and landing.  

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

On 5/6/2023 at 5:27 PM, Prodigal Duffer said:

It shouldn’t feel bad - that’s why these companies spend so much money trying to get the right design, logo, and building their brand. Looking forward to seeing if the balls’ performance outshines their initial impression for you.

Don't get me wrong - I am enjoying the ball and have no complaints. I was speaking from the impression of someone that has never heard of these balls. So far, the X1 has been good to me. They just aren't "big" (yet).

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

Well, I tried to test 4 clubs today. Yeah, didn't make it. By the time I got to my 3W, I was gassed. Got "mad" and sent that shot with the 3W about 270 yds. The previous 15 or so shots were under 230 total distance. Anyways, I did manage to get time with my 8i and 4 hybrid. The results were enlightening to say the least. Not only was I able to see what worked and what didn't for me, I also got to see how the X1 handles clubs that naturally have a bit more dispersion and inconsistency.

Same as with the 54* tests - "experienced" clubs but they got a nice bath before testing. All of these balls came fresh out of the sleeve.  I only took the best 5 shots with each ball. I limited the number of shots to 10 total for each ball. I was tired today and I got to 10 on a couple balls.  Average on course carry with my 8 iron is in the 160-165 yds ballpark. Average on course carry with my 4h is 205-210 yds.

8 Iron Testing

8i.png.845ed635182f6a51248f541ceb481a57.png

Ball Speed

OnCore claims the X1 will provide higher ball speeds off the tee and I assumed as much with irons as well. This thing was fast though. It took the #1 spot compared to the other balls I hit. Not only that but the ball speed was controlled - it also had one of the lower standard deviations for ball speed. I noticed with the ProV1, the ball was quick but not always. I was still pretty fresh on the ProV1 so not sure what that was all about.

Launch Angle

Launch angle was on the higher end of the spectrum but again very consistent. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Spin

If you recall from the 54* test, I need help spinning the ball up. Some of it is my swing, some of it is my clubs. The Mavriks are great for getting the ball in the air and down the field. Not the greatest for spinning up the ball. The OnCore was great! 5000 rpm on an 8 iron is awesome for me. The only drawback was that I was considerably less consistent with the spin compared to the incumbent (TP5).

Carry

Very consistent. The carry across the board was a bit above average today. Maybe the 90* temps and humidity let me warm up and loosen up more than usual. Again, the theme with the X1 is consistency so far. I was not disappointed here.

Feel, sound, special sauce?

Nothing really stood out to me when hitting it with an iron. The feel from last time, "Not necessarily 'hard' but firm." is still accurate. To be honest, the TP5 has some competition. At this point, I'd be hard pressed to pay a premium for the other balls in my tests. The X1 works the same but costs less. Win-win.

4 Hybrid Testing

4h.png.b2a2c0c14323f196596ce43c2b0d2db4.png

Ball Speed

Kind of middle of the pack here. I assumed it would maintain it's relative speed from the 8i but instead it just blended in with the pack. However, the X1 did seem a little less consistent compared to the competition. This may be due more to my fatigue at this point but I'm also not going to be 100% towards the end of a round or during a 2nd round for the day. You may have noticed this is also reflected in the dispersion of carry and total distances.

Launch Angle

To be transparent, I don't know what my "normal" launch angle is with my 4h. This seems low but the carry and total numbers check out so I guess I tend to launch it around 9-10*. The X1 fit in with the crowd. Was a bit less consistent here too.

Spin

Spin is once again on the high side. Not a bad thing for me. I did feel like I was all over the place hitting these shots though. Turns out, maybe I'm just not that consistent with my 4h. The ProV1 was another story. I think that ball can stay in the woods because throughout the tests today it was a wild beast. 

Carry

Below average? Not sure what was going on here. I felt like I was hitting the ball well but I guess that little bit of extra spin was enough to shave a few yards off the carry and total distances. This does concern me a little since it may cause a gapping issue with my 5i. I may need to hit a few shots on the quad with my 5i to see what's going on. 

Feel, sound, special sauce?

The X1 just didn't do it for me on the hybrid. It felt a little less consistent and I lost some distance. While the wedge and iron were like 4.9/5 stars, the hybrid was maybe a 3/5. It wasn't bad but not great either. I'm interested to see how it transitions through the 3w and Driver. On course, it's been fine but the numbers don't lie. If anything, I start thinking about what if I was playing ball X? Would I have been able to save that hybrid shot and that hole last round?  

So there you have it. The ball is still in the air. . . (kinda hate myself for leaving that line there). 

Putter = awesome
Wedges = awesome
Irons = mostly awesome

Hybrid = ok, I guess

Wood = tbd

Driver = tbd

On course experience = good but now I'm starting to blame the ball on things. I've had some rough rounds lately. Putting has not been as good as usual. Drives have varied, I don't use the 3W too often but it hasn't been great, my hybrid also hasn't been great. I wonder if part of it is related to using the X1 these last few rounds.

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

Putting Test Round 2

ladderballs.jpg.39140002d6a2c4147fb6cb85ffe97a3b.jpg

Went to the practice area yesterday and put the OnCore VeroX1 through its paces there with putting, chipping, and pitching. 

First up was recreating the PuttOUT 5 foot challenge, this time I went to 6 feet, putted each ball 12 times, and got very similar results.

Vero X1 - 11/12, AVX 10/12, ProV1 11/12, Vice Pro 10/12.  Altogether 36/48 from 6 feet ain't bad. Almost all the misses were pulls that I felt right away. 

captcha-i-am-not-a-robot-vector-21286501.jpg.1d7455147bd00a905ba06c3a9278caaa.jpg

Next up was the 3 ft, 6ft, 9 ft ladder drill

laddersetup.jpg.2be0ee509dec431975ae4b058f93821d.jpg  9Ft scores - OnCore 3/3, ProV1 2/3, AVX 1/3, Vice 1/3

Results here were similar as well. Only a few random misses at 3 and 6 feet with a couple of pulls and a lip out. 9 feet is where I looked for a difference, and the OnCore seemed to make one. 

Last putting test was two rounds with different 20 foot putts hitting all 12 balls in random order. 

20ftsetup.jpg.de2ae9918c2f1b96cf36c72966029e43.jpg20ftcup1.jpg.6843aef212a960cd02d61bc51c05a206.jpg Round 1 result = 4 makes and 3 x VeroX1 in the cup 

20 Foot putt round 2 was similar

20ft2.jpg.f485b77147e0fc10fc858151ae1597d4.jpg20ftcup2.jpg.7f04b631b6eb58254954f5401b48e091.jpg

3 makes in round two, and 2/3 were OnCore

When it comes to putting, so far I am sold on the VeroX1.

20ft1.jpg

Chipping Test

Followed up the putting green test with some chipping and short pitch shots. Same lineup of balls: 3x each VeroX1, ProV1, AVX, Vice Pro

Started with chip shots from 15 yards hitting all 12 balls in random order and here's what the results looked like.

chipping1.jpg.4c99d0b9dde30c3c133f0f8aef4a9c20.jpgChipping2.jpg.9b05aea34fab363a30c5bcd90182908f.jpg

I did a couple of rounds from 15 yards with similar performance. Then moved back to 20 yards. Results there were a bit off, then I went up a wedge and the 20 yard group looked more like the first. Subjectively, the OnCore and the ProV1 seemed to behave about the same as far as carry and roll. The Vice had the least 'grab' of the four contenders and tended to roll out a lot further than the others, but significantly more than the OnCore or the ProV. AVX performance seemed most influenced by the quality of the strike. Nice crisp chips it was closer to the top 2, on slight mishits it wanted to roll out longer and not give me the distance I wanted. Looking at the group in the photos, the OnCore balls finished in the center of the group, with one in the hole. The other make was a ProV. 

Pitch shots were a little more random as far as the results go, but 30-70 yards is the weakest part of my game anyway. I wasn't good enough to really differentiate between the balls' performance. Generic opinion though, the premium balls performed better than the other two. It was tough again to get the Vice to stop like the others.

My takeaway from these short game tests - The OnCore VeroX1 is going to perform equally to the same category offering from the big ball makers - ProV1, TP5, etc. If you are gaming one of those, and want to have a cheaper option for the same performance, this ball is definitely worth a look. (Veterans in the crowd, you get an even deeper discount from OnCore!)

Hit the range last night for short yardage Lob Wedge testing with Vero X1 balls, hitting 58 degree from 69 & 82 yds into the wind. 12 shots from each distance - 8 Vero X1 balls & 4 Pro V1 balls.

Once again impressed with OnCore Vero X1 ball.  High trajectory to hole an uphill 69 yds on practice green, ball hit the green and no excessive runout. Vero X1 felt really good coming off the wedge.  

From 82 yds, the pin was cut on a flatter portion of practice green and sloped a bit downhill beyond pin.  I tried a lower trajectory to pin, ball didn't hold and ran out 20 ft pass pin.    similar trajectory with a Pro V1 was pretty much same results, 15ft past pin.  A high trajectory to 82yds produced very good results with the X1 taking a couple of bounces and sitting down.  The feel of Vero X1 off club was a good feel.  Pro V1 did feel softer, but results with Vero X1 was very similar!

There was no one left at range except for me, so went to about 35yds hit 58 degree into an uphill pin and boy the X1 ball sat nicely and quick!  It was fun!! 

Edited by tdroma98

Another on course round of testing yesterday. Didn't have my A (or even C_) swing with the irons and only managed 2 GIR on the day. 

Driving - The VeroX1 feels a bit firmer off the driver than either the ProV1 or AVX that were used for comparison yesterday. Ball flight is a bit lower as well. 9/14 fairways though, with one outlier swing each with driver and 3W resulting in wild misses and tee ball penalty strokes (I hate those).

Irons - good ball flight, and the VeroX1 seemed to hold its flight path line pretty well, even though it wasn't a particularly breezy day. Still a firmer feel than the two Titleist balls. Trajectory and distance were about the same across all three balls. My iron swing speed may not quite compress the OnCore quite as much as the AVX, I saw a couple of shots with that carry a few yards further.

Wedges - I like the firm feel of the X1 off the wedges, it gives me a little better feedback on the quality of the strike. Carry and roll very similar to the ProV1 on both chips and pitch shots. 

Putting - I'll concede the quality of the greens on the course I played wasn't really the best for measuring putting performance. Unfortunately, the performance on the practice green testing didn't translate to more made putts on the course. Problems were more likely my stroke and big dumb head than anything to do with any of the balls. On well struck putts though, it does look like the OnCore rolls a little better, and gets slightly more roll out than the competitors. Consequently, I'm still rolling a lot of putts across the edge of the hole. 

Got out to the practice facility on Tuesday to do some putting. My testing is nothing like my colleagues’, not nearly as technical. I found that I really like the feel of the VERO X1 off the putter face. It is firm but not bouncy - I had little trouble with feeling the speed. I think the Vice Pro came off a little hotter, but it was not a significant difference. Both make a similar clicking sound:

The Vice moved a bit more, but I hesitate to attribute that to the ball rather than me pulling the putts. 

I’m not sure I’ll get to play this weekend, but am hoping to do so. I have a tee time next weekend and am also considering (planning?) to cut out of work early sometime next week and play a round with both balls to get a better side by side comparison.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Hoping to get out for a round or two Sunday. We'll see how the weather holds up. Worst case, I can probably get on the sim again.

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

On 5/12/2023 at 9:34 AM, snicerz said:

Hoping to get out for a round or two Sunday. We'll see how the weather holds up. Worst case, I can probably get on the sim again.

Remember to call your mother 😀

I'll be on course today with the VeroX1 playing in a scramble tournament. Not an opportunity for side-by-side testing but I should be able to get some video of the X1 in action.

Played 32 holes on Saturday with Vero X1 ball. Manage to use same ball the whole day.  Ball held up nicely.  Didn't putt well the first 18 holes, but cannot blame the ball.  Conditions were good, it was windy and once again the ball performed well. Saturday did not use any other ball on the course, but the Vero X1.  Feel off the driver and irons were good. If I can upload the video of the ball, you'll see the condition of ball appears to be a normal wear. Sand shots with X1 performed well.  Was in a couple of green side bunkers during the first 18 holes, no worries coming out and having ball hold the green.  

I'm liking the perimeter weight of the Vero X1 because the ball coming off the driver or irons doesn't seem to cause excessive sideway spinning.  Ball rolls true with chipping & putting.  Can't blame the ball on poor putting. Still like the feel of the Vero X1 off the putter. 

Sunday's round - only 18 holes (LOL) was interesting. This time 1st 9 I used the X1 and second 9, I used Pro V1 to see what difference there might be.  Played the same course as Saturday.  Conditions were relatively the same as Saturday, especially the wind directions.  

Lost my first Vero X1 ball on Par 4 - 355yds. Hit a perfect drive (hybrid) to 119yds.  Approach was into the wind, 112 yds carry over water. Hit a PW, just a bit chubby. Ball came up short, hit the bulkhead & ricocheted in the water.  Being a bit hot, since I was 1 under, hit dropped another X1 from same distance, same club and knocked it to 15ft. It wasn't the ball! LOL.  Needless to say, double bogey lol! 

2nd 9 (front nine) was interesting with the Pro V1. Bottom line, I think the Pro V1 was longer off the drive.  There were 3 holes, were the drive with Pro V1 were definitely longer, by at least 15yds. I was pleased with the X1 drives when playing, but  there were definite difference between the Pro V1 and X1 ball. Playing partner noticed it as well.  Par 4 - 380yds into wind: Saturday  246yds drive & 251 yds and thought I hit well, with X1 (middle pin placement)  Sunday's round same wind direction (into us)- Pro V1, 115 yds (back pin). Par 5 - 530 yds: into the wind. Drives with X1: 260yds, 258yds.  Drive with Pro V1 - 285yds.  Three birdies, no bogies for 3 under, 33 with the Pro V1. 

Still impressed with the Vero X1 ball, the feel, ball flight and durability. Wondering if the number of dimples plays a role in the distance between Pro V1 (388) and Vero X1 (318)?  Going to do same test with the TP5 sometime this week - 9 with TP5 and 9 holes with Vero X1.  ⛳

Video of ball & condition after playing 32 holes

Edited by tdroma98

On 5/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, GregB135 said:

Remember to call your mother 😀

Called mom, still got rained out. . .

Forecast for this week? Highs in the 70s and some clouds.

image.png.d0f3ea7ac77adc043c1b55a0465c9930.png

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

Scramble event yesterday and used the X1 pretty much exclusively. Conditions were great, warm and breezy with dry fairways and the greens were running moderately fast and not too firm. 

Driving- Consistent distance. Ball flight, a little bit low, but predictable. Clocked in one slightly downwind drive that got a friendly bounce and totaled out at 270! That's a pretty big drive for me these days.

Iron play - Sufficient spin to hold greens, with just about everything 7 iron and shorter giving me a one-hop and stop kind of performance. Ball flight was a little lower off the 4 and 5 iron, so a little more hit and roll with those clubs.

Short game - I didn't chip/pitch the ball very well yesterday, so I'll say only that the feel off the wedges is really good for me. Same with the putting performance. Good sound and feel off the putter. Still looks to me like once the ball is rolling, it wants to hold its line a little better than competitors. 

I also definitely noticed the X1 didn't give away as much yardage as I expected on shots into the wind. Best example, 185yd par 3, wind about 10mph just slightly off straight headwind. Played my 3 hybrid which is normally my 200 yard club. The ball landed just shy of pin level, and rolled to about 195 total.

Overall impressions from this round: With my long clubs, I may not be generating quite enough club speed to fully take advantage of the ball's performance. At 95 with the driver, I'm at the extreme low end of the recommended swing speed range for the X1 and, to me, it shows. Iron play is similar to other balls for me, but again, at least to my eye, the X1 holds its line of flight a little better and my misses seem to be a little closer to my intended line. I didn't play well enough with the short game to say whether the ball helped or hurt me there, so we'll call it a draw.

IMG_1288(2).jpg.6346d1ca13ad85b2a650ecc518a7bbfc.jpg

#gregwiththehat 

Heading out today for a round. I picked a random Wednesday to take off work for this test with the idea that the course should be pretty empty. That way, I can play a couple of balls side by side to get a more direct comparison. The weather is looking spectacular - when I tee off, it should be in the mid 70s, sunny, with a very light (5mph) breeze. Look for another post on how it went this week!

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Enjoy your day off @Prodigal Duffer! Hit'em straight! ⛳

Walked 18 today - the first time in a long time I’ve walked a full round (typically just play 9 with my 10yo). I played both the VERO X1 and the Vice Pro. After about five holes, I stopped playing both, as I thought I’d get tired (and I had lost two of each, so wanted to make sure I didn’t put myself in a bad spot).

On the whole, both balls performed about equally well. Distance was consistent between the two, with each occasionally outflying the other. The best hole for comparison was #2, on which I hit great tee shots with both. The hole dog legs to the left. I put both balls in the fairway, with the tee to ball distance about the same, but the VERO about 20 yards farther to the left (so about 20 yards closer to the hole):

64E0DFA1-D90A-4431-94FF-C472E175C6E4.jpeg.c948efe1a60c0b227399374a553db10e.jpeg

Unfortunately, my second shot with the Vice came up a bit short, and my second with the VERO was the right distance, but ended up on the right fringe. That gave me an opportunity to chip with both, and the VERO outperformed:

655F4907-7D28-4130-86D2-C28B36FA4EB0.jpeg.cc579d6c048c843c7325a9134a18b43b.jpeg

I actually chipped pretty well with both balls all day, but had consistently closer results with the VERO. 

On hole 6, I made video of the driver’s impact (and sound) on the ball. Unfortunately, I can’t slow down the video enough to get a good shot of the ball compression, but you be the judge of the sound:

The VERO drive was really good. The Vice, I sliced (and couldn’t find the ball, despite there being no trouble. This happened several times and was very frustrating!)

My best drive of the day came on 9, when I put the ball smack dab in the middle of the fairway about 20 yards shy of the green:

I shot a 45 on the front nine and was feeling good about my chances to break 90. Unfortunately, my back nine was tougher. The highlight was hole 10, which was a pretty long par 4. My second shot came up just short of the green, with enough space to try a bump and run with my 8 iron. I’d say the results were good:

770B0C7C-92D3-4B34-AA32-83F42A2E1104.jpeg.5fe8e4f4d3328a2c1e763f5b83ff531c.jpeg

I ended up shooting a 91 (close!!!). My best score since coming back to golf. It came at a decently high cost of several lost balls (gives me hope to break 90 in the near future). I’m definitely coming to an opinion on the VERO, but have one more round this weekend to test. Stay tuned!

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Got out to play a round yesterday. I had a ball that I've used a number of times and that took some abuse from trees and cart paths but unfortunately, I "lost" it in the fairway on the first hole. We got a ton of rain last week and only a few holes have been mowed since. The fairway grass was a bit over ankle high and everyone was having trouble. While I only lost this one ball today, I found at least 15 others throughout the round. Misery loves company right? 

Anyways, while I don't have any pic of how well it held up over maybe 300 shots, I will say that it was still in playable condition. A few minor scuffs but nothing too crazy. I've definitely played with worse conditions. However, I am getting more picky on when a ball needs to be retired. Nevertheless, the X1 was still playing as expected. I didn't notice any distance or spin issues despite the abuse it had been through. 

Since the course is in a bit of a scruffy state right now, I might go find a bunker to see how many sand shots they can take. I've noticed that sand shots are usually what shorted the life of the ball most for me. 

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

51 minutes ago, snicerz said:

Got out to play a round yesterday. I had a ball that I've used a number of times and that took some abuse from trees and cart paths but unfortunately, I "lost" it in the fairway on the first hole. We got a ton of rain last week and only a few holes have been mowed since. The fairway grass was a bit over ankle high and everyone was having trouble. While I only lost this one ball today, I found at least 15 others throughout the round. Misery loves company right? 

Anyways, while I don't have any pic of how well it held up over maybe 300 shots, I will say that it was still in playable condition. A few minor scuffs but nothing too crazy. I've definitely played with worse conditions. However, I am getting more picky on when a ball needs to be retired. Nevertheless, the X1 was still playing as expected. I didn't notice any distance or spin issues despite the abuse it had been through. 

Since the course is in a bit of a scruffy state right now, I might go find a bunker to see how many sand shots they can take. I've noticed that sand shots are usually what shorted the life of the ball most for me. 

I, too, have found that the ball holds up well to abuse, wear, and tear.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Another round in the books comparing the VeroX1 side by side against the ProV1 and AVX

Had a really good ball striking round, so got a chance to get some good comparisons done today.

It was a breezy day, and I got a really good chance to see the X1 maintain both yardage and line better than the other balls when into the wind or fighting cross wind conditions.

greenshot.jpg.38058fa7ce4fa98223d4a8d78c752551.jpg 

Okay, I fought with the photo insert for about 10 minutes and it won't insert the image with the flag pointing up. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, these two shots were from 135 yards to the flag, with wind into and from the right at about 10mph. The yellow ball just on the front edge is the ProV1 and the white ball next to the flag is the OnCore. Both were played with my 140 yard club and struck about equally. The OnCore definitely held onto line and distance better (yes I made that for birdie 😎)

Performance into the greens showed the OnCore tended to hop and roll slightly, where the ProV and AVX tended to hit and stop or draw back just a little with the scoring clubs. 

Driving with the OnCore was solid. Ball flight is just a bit lower than the other two. I was swinging pretty well today, and everything was in play. Drive of the day was a corner-cutting, downwind bomb with the OnCore to 165 in on a par 5 to set up birdie #2 of the round.

Chipping and pitching was again essentially a draw between the OnCore and the two Titleist balls.

Durability - the two balls in the photos were all I needed to complete the round. The #3 ball lasted 13 holes, hit probably one cart path, and definitely one tree limb, but didn't look any the worse for wear, alas it was lost after a poorly chosen shot. The #2 ball made it the final 5 1/2 holes without showing any wear or degradation.

wear1.jpg.7de4fa77da24922fe43ebd586297719d.jpgwear3.jpg.0afeeced2bb02c4a82fbcdca853c9914.jpg

Clearly something is amiss with my photo editor.... GRRR!! 

Jury is still out on whether this will wind up the gamer, but we're leaning that way.

Did some chipping & putting yesterday, more pitch type shots from 32yds with ProV1 and Vero X1.  Pitching with a 58 degree, flat area to an uphill pin placement.  1st two pitches, Pro V1 was first shot, pitched came in high, hit the green and sat down -2ft to cup.  The Vero X1 was second pitch. Interesting thing about the shot with X1, the ball spun to the left after hitting the green, towards the hole, rolling out 3ft & into the cup.  As a feel player, I have no issues with the feel of the X1 for the short game; off the wedges or off the putter. 

32ydpitch.jpg.ac8849fcdf2eac53b01385c47038323e.jpg

OnCore Vero X1 is in the hole!  Pro v1 is short.  
I can say, I can confidently stand over a chip and/or putt using a Vero X1 ball. 

Played 18 this morning, and the front nine, the VERO performed awesome. We had a steady 10-15 mph wind, and the ball held up pretty well in it. There were a few holes where the wind noticeably pushed it offline, so I am a little bearish on OnCore’s claims concerning perimeter weighting. One area where I think the ball excels is stopping. On the second par 5 (which is very short), I was sitting about 100 out on my tee shot. I hit a nice gap wedge, but lost it in the sun. Well, it hit the green and look how it stopped:

F743D72D-9792-45D0-9869-1566C7F433C1.jpeg.0941a8a0969bddec29fb5f229ee8ff8b.jpeg

I also had great success with the ball on chips (both pitches and bump-n-runs). I have a lot of confidence that the ball will do what I want it to do, so long as I don’t screw up my swing. Heck, that seems to be the major story with my game.

Putting was solid - one three putt on the day. I was never concerned that the ball would come off the club hot or weak. Once again, the only issues were me misjudging strength.

I think I’ve got enough data to write up my final review. Do the readers have any specific questions they’d like to see answered? 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Had the VeroX1 in play for my league round yesterday. We had a nice 5-10 mph breeze for most of the round, but it was hot, humid, and still coming in over the last several holes.

VeroX1 for me has shown it holds onto yardage very well playing into the wind. Either that or I've suddenly started hitting irons a lot stronger than I used to. Best example yesterday was a shot from the light rough, into the breeze with 172 yards to the pin. Pin placement was on the front 1/3 of a fairly large green. 5-iron is usually my 175 club so I expected a well struck shot to be just about pin level. Landing spot was back 1/3 of the green totaling out to a little over 180. Might have been a bit of a flier, but the VeroX1 didn't give away any yardage at all on that shot, or a couple of others I've seen into the wind.

I didn't have the A driver swing, but I was hitting my average distance. Again, I'm at about 95 with my driver speed, so not quite where OnCore recommends for this ball. One of my playing partners said a couple of times that it sounded "heavy" coming off the driver. So maybe just not compressing it quite enough. 

Well, good news is that I had a couple great rounds this weekend. Bad news is that I didn’t use the X1’s. I say great but we definitely didn’t play by the rules. If we couldn’t find a shot, we took free relief with the honor system of drop where your shot should be. I tried playing again with the X1 on Friday and ended up losing 6 balls. Again, not in the normal way of sending a shot to the woods or water. Nope lost all 6 in the “fairway”. 

I decided that since my course can’t seem to even cut grass anymore, I’m not going to keep donating balls on good shots. It’s a little ridiculous that I hit a good shot, find 3-4 balls in the area mine landed in the 4” fairway grass but can’t find mine. 

Anyways, rant over. I’ll try to get more time on the launch monitor and maybe get to one of the city courses for a final round with the X1 this week. 

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests: