Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OnCore VERO X1 Golf Ball - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Ok, last set of tests are complete! I am still hoping to get out for a couple rounds on a course with mowed fairways before the final report is published but at least I finally found time to get back on the sim. Why does work and weather have to interfere with my golf!?

3 Wood Testing

3W.png.496d39447e1514cec998bb25b0ef05e4.png

Ball Speed

Similar to the 4 hybrid test, ball speed for the X1 was middle of the pack. At this point, I kind of expected this.

Launch Angle

As with the 4 hybrid, I don't actually know what my "normal" launch angle is with my 3W. I would describe it as low but again I didn't really know on this particular club. I should probably mention that I was hitting off the mat with no tee for the 3W. I'm not sure what was up with the ProV1 but it was very low. I would consider the X1 to again be about middle of the pack regarding launch angle (not counting the ProV1). 

Spin

At this end of the bag, I'm looking for lower spin numbers. The OnCore was actually on the lower side to my surprise. This matches the advertising and I could feel like I was able to get away with a bit more inconsistency in my swing here. Keeping in mind that the 3W is not my strongest club, I'll take a fairly consistent, relatively lower spinning ball to help me out any day.

Carry

The OnCore took the #2 spot here! It did in fact have more carry and total distance compared to the competition.

Driver Testing

Driver.png.0831d21a62af99aa9355a2720f8b4712.png

Ball Speed

Slow. . . I'm not sure what happened here. I'm not too concerned since it didn't seem to effect total distance much. I will say that for the Driver, I changed my method a little bit. Instead of hitting a handful of shots to get 5 "good" shots, I just took 5 shots period. Good or not, each ball got only 5 shots.

Launch Angle

I usually launch my Driver a bit low. 13* was the highest of the bunch. Not a bad thing as long as spin doesn't get too high. 

Spin

A bit on the high side but not too bad. I will say that the OnCore X1 was the least consistent in regards to spin for me.

Distance

The X1 was short for me. I'm attributing this to the slower ball speed and higher spin. Again, consistency was a concern here with the X1 being the least consistent in my test.

Feel, sound, special sauce?

I still have mixed feelings about the X1. It did fine today but I haven't really noticed anything that makes it stand out compared to the other balls I'm testing. I'm looking forward to getting a couple more rounds in and my playing group is planning on going on the road this weekend to hit a couple area courses. At this point, I'm hovering around 4/5 stars.  

Results so far:

Putter = 5/5
Wedges = 5/5
Irons = 4.5/5

Hybrid = 3/5

Wood = 4/5

Driver = 4/5

On course experience = 4/5

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

Final review is posted. I had a lot of fun doing this test, and got a whole lot more into golf ball performance than I ever have before. Family vacation starts tomorrow, I'll check back in about a week to answer any questions from the readers.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Just posted my final review. A great big THANK YOU to MGS and to OnCore for the opportunity to test the Vero X1 for the community.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

I just posted my final review!  

It was fun testing the Vero X1. Made you aware of more than just hitting a ball off the tee or fairway.  
Very much appreciated the opportunity to test the Vero X1!  
Thank you MGS & OnCore Golf!! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

More golf ball reviews! Personally this was the one I was the most interested in and where I was following closest. Thanks for the reviews and insights into these golf balls for the MGS Forum community!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Final Reviews! 2023 MGS Forum Member Test: OnCore VERO X1 Golf Ball

Because I am a Team OnCore member, and have been playing various OnCore balls for more than 7 years, I have refrained from posting on any of these OnCore ball test threads until the final reviews were posted. However, now that those final reviews are in, here is a brief summary of my findings and impressions, based on a minimum of 25-30 rounds/each with the three Urethane-cover OnCore balls:

ELIXR (2022 model) — Although the original ELIXR ball was a really decent golf ball, and a good choice for the budget-minded golfer who still demands a premium level Urethane cover, the revamped ELIXR is just a bit better (at least for me). This new ELIXR is just a bit too soft (low-compression) for my tastes, but it’s slightly more firm than the first-generation ELIXR, and as such it makes a good cold-weather ball when that lower-compression feel is desirable. It is still too soft for me once the weather warms-up and once that happens, I switch to one of the Vero ball models (see below for details). Spin and control is better than decent with the ELIXR, but distance is not quite as good on well-struck shots, as is to be expected with a lower-compression ball.

Vero X1 — The Vero X1 has been my #1 choice in golf balls since its launch a few years ago, and I still love this ball, but I have gotten some excellent results with the Vero X2, so I tend to go back-and-forth between the two Vero models. If I am not striking the ball perfectly, the X2 can feel a bit too firm for me, and this is when I appreciate the lower-compression of the Vero X1 (about 10-15 points lower in compression compared with the Vero X2). Control and the ability to hold the line in cross winds and into the wind is excellent with both Vero models, and I don’t perceive any significant differences in shot distance between the two Vero ball models, but the Vero X1 is definitely a bit softer in feel. I also slightly prefer the feel of the X1 model on partial shots and putts.

Vero X2 — Just think of the Vero X2 as a firmer-feeling Vero X1 with just a little more octane in the tank!  See above for other comparative comments regarding the differences between the two Vero ball models. When my swing is really “grooved” and I am swinging at my maximum level, the Vero X2 is my preferred golf ball, but when I am a little bit “off”, the X2 can feel too hard (almost, but not quite, “rock-like”). Also, as I mentioned above, the X2, which OnCore advertised as being a 95 compression golf ball at its launch, feels a little bit too hard off of the putter. I believe that the MGS Ball Lab found the Vero X2 to be more in the 102 compression range.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

17 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Because I am a Team OnCore member, and have been playing various OnCore balls for more than 7 years, I have refrained from posting on any of these OnCore ball test threads until the final reviews were posted. However, now that those final reviews are in, here is a brief summary of my findings and impressions, based on a minimum of 25-30 rounds/each with the three Urethane-cover OnCore balls:

ELIXR (2022 model) — Although the original ELIXR ball was a really decent golf ball, and a good choice for the budget-minded golfer who still demands a premium level Urethane cover, the revamped ELIXR is just a bit better (at least for me). This new ELIXR is just a bit too soft (low-compression) for my tastes, but it’s slightly more firm than the first-generation ELIXR, and as such it makes a good cold-weather ball when that lower-compression feel is desirable. It is still too soft for me once the weather warms-up and once that happens, I switch to one of the Vero ball models (see below for details). Spin and control is better than decent with the ELIXR, but distance is not quite as good on well-struck shots, as is to be expected with a lower-compression ball.

Vero X1 — The Vero X1 has been my #1 choice in golf balls since its launch a few years ago, and I still love this ball, but I have gotten some excellent results with the Vero X2, so I tend to go back-and-forth between the two Vero models. If I am not striking the ball perfectly, the X2 can feel a bit too firm for me, and this is when I appreciate the lower-compression of the Vero X1 (about 10-15 points lower in compression compared with the Vero X2). Control and the ability to hold the line in cross winds and into the wind is excellent with both Vero models, and I don’t perceive any significant differences in shot distance between the two Vero ball models, but the Vero X1 is definitely a bit softer in feel. I also slightly prefer the feel of the X1 model on partial shots and putts.

Vero X2 — Just think of the Vero X2 as a firmer-feeling Vero X1 with just a little more octane in the tank!  See above for other comparative comments regarding the differences between the two Vero ball models. When my swing is really “grooved” and I am swinging at my maximum level, the Vero X2 is my preferred golf ball, but when I am a little bit “off”, the X2 can feel too hard (almost, but not quite, “rock-like”). Also, as I mentioned above, the X2, which OnCore advertised as being a 95 compression golf ball at its launch, feels a little bit too hard off of the putter. I believe that the MGS Ball Lab found the Vero X2 to be more in the 102 compression range.

Great review of the OnCore balls. I have found the X2 also flys higher. What do you think?

Play like a champion today!

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

Great review of the OnCore balls. I have found the X2 also flys higher. What do you think?

Yes, I forgot to mention that. The X2 model launches and flies a bit higher than either of the other two Urethane-cover OnCore balls.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

20 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Very good summary @funkyjudge!  Thanks for taking the time to write a comparison. I've never played the OnCore golf ball, until being a tester of the Vero X1 ball.  My preference in a golf ball is a softer feel, however after reading your critique, definitely will try the X2! Thanks for taking the time to post! 

Now I'm starting to think I need to try out the X2. I can usually keep it pretty straight but I felt like the X1 never really gave me what I wanted on the long end of my bag.

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to 2023 MGS Forum Member Test: OnCore VERO X1 Golf Ball
  • 3 weeks later...

I played a parent-child tournament this weekend, which had two rounds. I played my normal gamer ball yesterday and the VERO X1 today. I stunk up both rounds, neither of which the ball could be blamed. Or maybe it could - yeah, that’s it!

On the whole, I felt more confident with the Vice, even around the greens. I couldn’t get speeds right on putts or chips today. That surprised me. I know I previously said I would buy whichever is running a better deal, and both are running deals right now where the per ball cost is a two cent differential in favor of the X1. Given my recent run of success with the Vice (excluding yesterday), I’m not sure I’d make the jump over to OnCore.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

6 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

I played a parent-child tournament this weekend, which had two rounds. I played my normal gamer ball yesterday and the VERO X1 today. I stunk up both rounds, neither of which the ball could be blamed. Or maybe it could - yeah, that’s it!

On the whole, I felt more confident with the Vice, even around the greens. I couldn’t get speeds right on putts or chips today. That surprised me. I know I previously said I would buy whichever is running a better deal, and both are running deals right now where the per ball cost is a two cent differential in favor of the X1. Given my recent run of success with the Vice (excluding yesterday), I’m not sure I’d make the jump over to OnCore.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold with the X1 either. I still need to get some X2s and give them a try but I lost my last TP5 the other day and went back to Maxfli Tours since I still have a ton laying around. I think I still like the Maxfli better than the X1 at this point.

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

Played my first really bad round with the X1 in my last league event. Not sure I could blame the ball though for most of the bad stuff. I've still got several sleeves of the X1s to play with over the next few weeks. 

Keeping in mind, I went into that event after a 10 day layoff for a golf-free family vacation. When I got back on the course to practice it was like I had forgotten completely how to swing a golf club. A couple of things I noticed during play. The X1 felt, and sounded, really heavy hitting the driver. Maybe (probably) that's my swing speed not creating enough compression. Significantly lower driver ball flight though, all through the round. 

I'm playing a casual round today, so I'll see how the X1 does. Might not have it in play in this weekend's league event since it's a two-man event with a format that has us hitting each other's ball after a tee shot. My partner swings a little slower than I do, so I may use a ball similar to whatever his gamer is.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Been taking it easy due to injuries lately but I did get out to work on some chipping and putting this weekend. I decided to use a few sleeves of the X1. Not sure if it's the rest or the ball but man I was having a good time! The consistency, feel, and sound were all spot on. I wasn't perfect but I was keeping a pretty good grouping and the the click with each chip sounded very crisp.

Maybe as I ramp back up, I bring the X1 back out for another round of testing.

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

• 2 weeks later...

Played nine holes with the kids today at the local par 3. I played two balls - the Vero X1 against my Vice Pro. This was an ideal testing day, as we had a steady wind with no other adverse conditions. 

I didn’t notice the wind until the fifth hole, where it was directly right to left. I hit the Vero first, and the ball flight was perfectly straight, yet it moved about 5-8 yards to the left. I then hit the Vice, adjusting for the wind, starting the ball on the right edge of the green and hoping the wind would move it to the pin. It did not move at all - landed pin high and rolled back about five feet. 

The next hole, the tee shot was directly into the wind. Hit the Vice first. I clubbed up one club and put it onto the back of the green. With the Vero, I recalibrated my alignment and took a little bit off (still clubbing up one club). The ball plugged in the green (they were super soft) three feet to the right of the hole. 

My Vice beat the Vero by one stroke (32 to 33). My bad strokes today (had them with both balls) were never a ball performance issue.  As I mentioned in my official review, I still am not seeing any real difference in performance. 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I no longer play the X1. Donated them to a buddy. They were ok but I just like the TP5 more. Not sure why exactly but I do. I still want to try the X2 but I'm still not playing much due to the weather we've had lately. Just can't convince myself to play when the heat index is over 100*F.

Is anyone else still gaming the X1?

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

I'm still using the X1 ball and alternate between the ProV1 & X1.  
I've noticed I'm scoring better using the ProV1.  It does appear the ProV is a bit longer off the drive. The X1 still seems to perform better into the wind. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I used my last X1s last week. The more I played with them, the less impressed I was. While I can say that a lot of the issues were the player, I felt like the ball responded to my input worse than other balls.

I’ve enjoyed testing, but would probably not buy these balls on my own.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to OnCore VERO X1 Golf Ball - 2023 Forum Review
  • 3 months later...

Not to go thru the entire thread, I'd like to throw this question out .....  Are you still playing the ball?  Why or why not?  

I'm thinking about getting the 3 for 2 deal they are offering for the holidays & was wondering if it was worth it? 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

14 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Not to go thru the entire thread, I'd like to throw this question out .....  Are you still playing the ball?  Why or why not?  

I'm thinking about getting the 3 for 2 deal they are offering for the holidays & was wondering if it was worth it? 

I am not. Don't get me wrong, the ball is fine. I just felt more confident using my TP5. If you read my review, I posted my numbers from a GCquad hitting various balls including the TP5. 

I would suggest trying something similar if you have access to a launch monitor. Hit up Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore and get a sleeve of various balls. See how the numbers change with each ball and try to understand what works best for your game and playing conditions.

Lastly, don't forget about the short game stuff. It is like 90% feel imo. After hitting the launch monitor, take your favorites to a practice green and hit various putts and chips/pitches to get the feel for each ball.

Or if the 3 for 2 deal isn't much out of your pocket, get them and use em till you lose em.

• Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

35 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Good Question @golfinnut!  I'm still using the Vero X1 ball in what I say, ball rotation. My ball of choice still is the Pro V1, especially in the summertime. After multiple rounds, using both balls, there was no doubt in my mind the Pro V1 outperformed the Vero X1. I rotate between the Pro V1, Vero X1, Bridgestone B RXS, Vice Pro & Tour Response.

Now that it's getting colder, I'm trying the Vero X1 ball more and still liking it.  I'm impressed with the feel off the putter.  It doesn't have a clank sound. 
I will say this, last month got to test the Titleist "TEST" Ball.  I would put that ball over the Pro V & Vero X1! It was an impressive ball. Don't know what model the TEST Ball will be labeled. 

One last note, this morning at tee off it was 60 degrees and I used the Vero X1 for the front 9 and shot one over par.  Putting wasn't very good, but not a ball issue.  I used the 10% rule because it was cold (laser a yardage & added 10% for the cold air) and it worked well.  Used a Bridgestone Tour B rxs on the back & shot 1 under.  Ball appeared to travel a bit further however, it was a tad warmer. Again, I preferred the sound of the Vero X1 off the putter vs BRxs

59 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

Good Question @golfinnut!  I'm still using the Vero X1 ball in what I say, ball rotation. My ball of choice still is the Pro V1, especially in the summertime. After multiple rounds, using both balls, there was no doubt in my mind the Pro V1 outperformed the Vero X1. I rotate between the Pro V1, Vero X1, Bridgestone B RXS, Vice Pro & Tour Response.

Now that it's getting colder, I'm trying the Vero X1 ball more and still liking it.  I'm impressed with the feel off the putter.  It doesn't have a clank sound. 
I will say this, last month got to test the Titleist "TEST" Ball.  I would put that ball over the Pro V & Vero X1! It was an impressive ball. Don't know what model the TEST Ball will be labeled. 

One last note, this morning at tee off it was 60 degrees and I used the Vero X1 for the front 9 and shot one over par.  Putting wasn't very good, but not a ball issue.  I used the 10% rule because it was cold (laser a yardage & added 10% for the cold air) and it worked well.  Used a Bridgestone Tour B rxs on the back & shot 1 under.  Ball appeared to travel a bit further however, it was a tad warmer. Again, I preferred the sound of the Vero X1 off the putter vs BRxs

Good to know.  The "TEST" ball is going to be the new AVX.  I tested it as well & liked it immensely.  It's too bad the last one went to play with the squirrels the other day.  

1 hour ago, snicerz said:

I am not. Don't get me wrong, the ball is fine. I just felt more confident using my TP5. If you read my review, I posted my numbers from a GCquad hitting various balls including the TP5. 

I would suggest trying something similar if you have access to a launch monitor. Hit up Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore and get a sleeve of various balls. See how the numbers change with each ball and try to understand what works best for your game and playing conditions.

Lastly, don't forget about the short game stuff. It is like 90% feel imo. After hitting the launch monitor, take your favorites to a practice green and hit various putts and chips/pitches to get the feel for each ball.

Or if the 3 for 2 deal isn't much out of your pocket, get them and use em till you lose em.

This is exactly how I test balls anyway.  But I was just trying to, you know, cut thru the red tape.  Get an idea of whether or not they are worth it.  And as soon as my net/mat combo arrives, I will be able to use the Rapsodo to compare the balls.  I may just pull the trigger ... at least for the winter 

14 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Good to know.  The "TEST" ball is going to be the new AVX.  I tested it as well & liked it immensely.  It's too bad the last one went to play with the squirrels the other day.  

The TEST Ball is going to be the new AVX. Nice, I'd definitely use over the old AVX.  

LOL, I have one TEST Ball left and scared to use it 🤣🤣.  I don't want to donate to squirrels 🤣🤣 or Lake Bass! 🤣

It's funny, I'm not afraid of losing the Vero X1 and I might have lost 2 out of 2 dozen. LOL.  Several have been retired due to overuse! 

I am not. Part of that is that I don't have them anymore, but even if I did, I would play my gamer ball (Vice Pro) over it. When I tested the X1, I concluded that I would buy it again if there were a deal like OnCore is running right now. But, that is no longer the case. It did not give me any noticeable advantage over the Vice and I found that the Vice was more predictable for me.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the VeroX1 ball - Today, 7am tee off time, temperature was 49 degrees & by 10am it was still going to be in the mid to high 50's.  So I decided to use the Vero X1 ball to see how the ball reacted in cold weather. 

First, the wear of the ball was not bad.  Only 1 noticeable blemish, which you can see below, a little wear: 

IMG_0854.jpg.5b2f1766b72e216e0b0cf4fd9d191d0f.jpg

Was not in any bunkers today, didn't hit any cart paths either 🤣.  Ball wasn't bad in the cold weather.  I applied the 10% rule, as I would have with any other ball. Below 60 degrees add 10% to yardage.  

Greens were wet today, as course verticut greens, fertilized & watered greens this morning.  Ball was receptive to greens. Although chipping, the ball rolled out. 

Feel off the putter was very good. Just changed to Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 putter & I like feel of the golf ball coming off the putter & the Vero X1 ball was no different. Which is what initially attracted me to the golf ball. 

Overall, I'd use the VeroX1 again in cold weather.  

• 2 months later...

My last post above was January 3, 2024 concerning the Vero X1 golf ball and its performance in cold weather.  
Yesterday morning, the temperature at 7:25am tee time was 46 degrees. It was cold, but very little wind.  Was it a fluke back in January playing the VeroX1 ball in the cold weather? Short answer - NO!

I wanted to play a lower compression ball in the cold weather so, once again I decided on- OnCore VeroX1 compression runs between 80-85. 

The bottom line, I'm really impressed with the golf ball, especially in the cold weather. The feel of the ball off the club is really good. The VeroX1 ball doesn't feel like a rock.  

• Distance-wise, you're going to lose distance in the cold weather, but in my opinion, you have to compensate & play for that loss.  My general rule is to add 10% to the yardage, in the cold weather.  
  • Putting - I felt like I never lost the feel of the ball off the putter, due to the cold weather. 

Here are a couple of photo's of the ball used for the 18 holes.  This is the 2nd round using the same ball.  The wear is not bad. There were a couple of bunker shots.  3 full Lob Wedge swings. I'm still impressed with the feel & performance of the OnCore VeroX1 golf ball. 

IMG_0986.jpg.48b094e9a76b8912904734967be1ac92.jpgIMG_0987.jpg.abd56f8bc9619638bd93a30c8333a77e.jpg

11 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

My last post above was January 3, 2024 concerning the Vero X1 golf ball and its performance in cold weather.  
Yesterday morning, the temperature at 7:25am tee time was 46 degrees. It was cold, but very little wind.  Was it a fluke back in January playing the VeroX1 ball in the cold weather? Short answer - NO!

I wanted to play a lower compression ball in the cold weather so, once again I decided on- OnCore VeroX1 compression runs between 80-85. 

The bottom line, I'm really impressed with the golf ball, especially in the cold weather. The feel of the ball off the club is really good. The VeroX1 ball doesn't feel like a rock.  

• Distance-wise, you're going to lose distance in the cold weather, but in my opinion, you have to compensate & play for that loss.  My general rule is to add 10% to the yardage, in the cold weather.  
  • Putting - I felt like I never lost the feel of the ball off the putter, due to the cold weather. 

Here are a couple of photo's of the ball used for the 18 holes.  This is the 2nd round using the same ball.  The wear is not bad. There were a couple of bunker shots.  3 full Lob Wedge swings. I'm still impressed with the feel & performance of the OnCore VeroX1 golf ball. 

IMG_0986.jpg.48b094e9a76b8912904734967be1ac92.jpgIMG_0987.jpg.abd56f8bc9619638bd93a30c8333a77e.jpg

Thanks for the continued updates!

I picked up 2 dozen over the holidays with one of their BOGO sales. I want to test it against my Maxfli Tour and Snell Prime. With the X2 out, these are better priced and with the occasional BOGO or quantity deals they're better than many other options.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I keep going back and forth between the X1 and ProV1. For the most part they are similar. Performance off the driver is similar, the X1 still flies a little lower for me. With irons though, especially short irons, it seems like the X1 is shorter.

I did pick up a Performance Pack in my last order, and I was VERY pleased with the way the new/yet to be released for sale Xp performed. 

OnCore's ball fitter suggestion for me was the Elixr, but I just don't like the feel of that one.