Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Woohoo for me

JBones

Not only did I shoot under par (on 18) for the first time ever, but I shot in the 60's for the first time ever. I'm so freaking excited right now, I can barely sit here and type. I attribute my success on three things; I'm swinging really good right now, because I've been practicing a ton, the new Black Ops and Chrome shafts that I have just give me a ton of confidence on the tee box, because I know the ball is going to be in play, and these Callaway balls are flippin awesome (see my review for more info). This round could have been a LOT lower, but I'm not going to dwell on 13 two putt pars (alright, maybe I will a little). Below are the stats from the round.

Final score - 68

Fairways - 10/14

GIR - 16/18 (came up short on two par 3's directly into the wind)

Putts - 33

/high fives everyone/

Nice round!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Congratulations :D ! I can only imagine how excited you must be

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Awesome job jbones,keep it up

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Kudos and huzzah's! Great whackin'

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Congrats...that's very cool. You must have sent the strokes up my way...I had several extra on my card tonight I wasn't expecting to see :angry:

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Awesome... High 5...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Kudos & Congrats!!....The first time is the hardest...You'll be back many more times now...And Jesus, with 33 putts you must be smokin, cuz you obviously didn't get any breaks on the greens or you'd have been 64-65...Another day....Continued success..Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

Hopefully it's like my bowling; it took forever to get my first 600, now I'm flirting with 700's on a weekly basis.

While it was awesome to shoot under, the putting was quite frustrating. Only two of the two putts were over 20', that was the most frustrating part. Through the first 6 holes, my total distance of putts made was maybe 18", that's pretty much how close I was to making them all day. I also lipped out birdies on 15, 17, and 18; that would have been 5 birdies in a row to end the round.

Very nice! Congrats!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Congratulations that's a great round.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

GREAT ROUND!!! I have broken par one time 1 under 71.

I always save my first ball that I do something, The first ever Eagle I have the ball and wrote EAGLE real big on it, that sound corny as heck but it is a small trophy for me to look at and remember the moment. I didn't keep the 71 as I chocked the last three and still remember the whole round without it for the most part. When I get my first ACE you better believe that I'm keeping the ball and writing ACE on it, Dbl. Eagle same, that is just kind of my tradition and all the trophy I need.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Congradulations!!!

I have broken par a few times but always seem to follow it up with a 95.:angry:

The important thing is to stay focused on the present shot. The golf course does not care what you shot yesterday, or even the previous hole. I can bite you back at anytime. Eagle one time and double the next.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

The important thing is to stay focused on the present shot.

That is exactly what I worked on yesterday and obviously it paid off. I've been practicing on a preshot routine, since I've never really had one, and a new mental approach. My new approach is this, I stand about 10yds behind the ball and envision the shot, then I pick something a few feet in front of the ball on that line. After I hit the shot, I basically "shut down" to golf and think/talk about anything else. Once I get to the ball, I start the routine over again. This helps keep me in the present shot and not dwelling on anything bad that happens.

That is exactly what I worked on yesterday and obviously it paid off. I've been practicing on a preshot routine, since I've never really had one, and a new mental approach. My new approach is this, I stand about 10yds behind the ball and envision the shot, then I pick something a few feet in front of the ball on that line. After I hit the shot, I basically "shut down" to golf and think/talk about anything else. Once I get to the ball, I start the routine over again. This helps keep me in the present shot and not dwelling on anything bad that happens.

I have a mental line drawn half way between the shots. I can be mad and think about what I did wrong, or right, until I am to the halfway point to the next shot. At that point, it is over, now start to think about the next shot. I may talk about something else, or move on just as you said. But I do not think about anything but this next shot once I start my preshot.

IF you have to wait, or something happens to distract you START OVER. I do not get my club out of the bag until I start my preshot. That is my first step. At that point, I have already decided how I am going to play it.

The exception is that if I hit the green, then I will pull my putter out as a reward. Because I obviously hit a good shot and get to putt, I get to hold the putter like it is a trophy for the world to see that my next shot is a putt. And I love to putt. I am the greatest Putter in the world. And everyone wants to be holding my putter right now because it always puts it in the hole. (not really, I suck, but that is my swing thought when I hit the green.)

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Man that almost echos my pre-shot mental approach, have I talked about my mental approach on this site before? Anyways, that helps me keep my emotions in check. Getting excited and anxious is a bad thing right next to getting negative and down on yourself. Both can cause issues and add strokes to the next hole or shots on the same hole.

Some people say they have a 30second window to allow themselves to think about the shot result and get out their emotions then shut it off, it's whatever works best for you as a player.

IF you have to wait, or something happens to distract you START OVER. I do not get my club out of the bag until I start my preshot. That is my first step. At that point, I have already decided how I am going to play it.

GREAT ADVICE, I don't know how many times something distracts me and I pull the trigger and ends up being a bad result. We might not all be Tiger but at times I wish i could stop 1/2 down my swing, I hate the sudden noise in the top of my backswing it normally turns out ugly.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Only problem is, now you'll expect to do that every time!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived